Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Today at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Today at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Quotes you would consider for your signature

(Read 263201 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 44 45 4647 48 ... 55 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Quotes you would consider for your signature
     Reply #1350 - November 03, 2012, 02:42 AM

I have approximate answers and possible beliefs in different degrees of certainty about different things, but I'm not absolutely sure of anything, and of many things I don't know anything about, but I don't have to know an answer. I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in the mysterious universe without having any purpose which is the way it really is as far as I can tell possibly. It doesn't frighten me. - Richard Feynman

^ Always loved this quote. Richard Feynman, you beautiful bastard <3 001_wub

Started from the bottom, now I'm here
    Started from the bottom, now my whole extended family's here

JOIN THE CHAT
     Reply #1351 - November 03, 2012, 03:02 AM

“The victim who is able to articulate the situation of the victim has ceased to be a victim: he or she has become a threat.”
    — James Baldwin

“Your imagination is your preview of life’s coming attractions.”
    — Albert Einstein

“The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man.”
    — Charles Darwin

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #1352 - November 03, 2012, 11:36 PM

Shower upon him every earthly blessing, drown him in a sea of happiness, so that nothing but bubbles of bliss can be seen on the surface; give him economic prosperity, such that he should have nothing else to do but sleep, eat cakes and busy himself with the continuation of his species, and even then out of sheer ingratitude, sheer spite, man would play you some nasty trick. He would even risk his cakes and would deliberately desire the most fatal rubbish, the most uneconomical absurdity, simply to introduce into all this positive good sense his fatal fantastic element. It is just his fantastic dreams, his vulgar folly that he will desire to retain, simply in order to prove to himself--as though that were so necessary-- that men still are men and not the keys of a piano, which the laws of nature threaten to control so completely that soon one will be able to desire nothing but by the calendar.

- Dostoevsky
     Reply #1353 - November 05, 2012, 04:01 PM

"The point of public relations slogans like "Support our troops" is that they don't mean anything... That's the whole point of good propaganda. You want to create a slogan that nobody's going to be against, and everybody's going to be for. Nobody knows what it means, because it doesn't mean anything. Its crucial value is that it diverts your attention from a question that does mean something: Do you support our policy? That's the one you're not allowed to talk about."

- Noam Chomsky
     Reply #1354 - November 07, 2012, 08:37 PM

Caught a Red Dwarf re-run last night (yay!) and it had this classic insult:

"Your brain is smaller than the salad section of a Scottish supermarket."

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #1355 - November 08, 2012, 01:19 AM

Reply #1356 - November 08, 2012, 01:43 AM

This one is totally priceless. I love it. Afro

"Anyone saying they're moving to Australia if Obama wins can stay right where they are," tweeted @FaintofMatts. "We are already at maximum f***wit occupancy."

Reply #1357 - November 08, 2012, 07:03 AM

Reply #1358 - November 09, 2012, 03:15 PM

"Motivation is bullshit. If you ask me this country could use a little less motivation. The people who are motivated are the ones who are causing all the trouble! Stock swindlers, serial killers, child molesters, Christian conservatives? These people are highly motivated, highly motivated. Anyway, I think motivation is overrated. You show me some lazy prick who's lying around all day watching game shows and stroking his penis, and I'll show you someone who's not causing any fucking trouble."

- George Carlin
     Reply #1359 - November 09, 2012, 07:27 PM

Reply #1360 - November 09, 2012, 07:59 PM

'School is really important: Reading, writing, arithmetic. But what they tend to do is teach you reading, writing, arithmetic…then teach you reading, writing, arithmetic again. Then again, then again, just making it harder and harder just to keep you busy. And that’s where I think they messed up. There should be a class on drugs. There should be a class on sex education. No, REAL sex education class, not just pictures and illogical terms…There should be a class on scams, there should be a class on religious cults, there should be a class on police brutality, there should be a class on apartheid, there should be a class on racism in America, there should be a class on why people are hungry, but there not, their class is on…gym….Their class is like Algebra. we have yet to go a store and said, “Can I have X Y + 2 and give me my Y change back, thank you.” You know?…Like foreign languages. I think that they are important, but I don’t think it should be required. Actually, they should be teaching you English, and then teach you how to understand double talk, politician’s double talk. Not teaching you how to understand French and Spanish and GERMAN. When am I going to Germany? I can’t afford to pay my rent in America! How am I going to Germany? '

—Tupac, Age 17 On the Topic of Education, 1988.
     Reply #1361 - November 10, 2012, 08:58 PM

We are the cosmos made conscious, life is the means by which the universe understands itself, we are part of the Universe.  Every living creature, mountain, rock, every piece of you and me was forged in the furnaces of space. - Brian Cox

JOIN THE CHAT
     Reply #1362 - November 15, 2012, 09:31 AM

'What's god?'
    'You know when you want something really bad and you close your eyes and wish for it? God's the guy that ignores you'

-The Island

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor E. Frankl

'Life is just the extreme expression of complex chemistry' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
     Reply #1363 - November 15, 2012, 10:21 AM

Fake yuppie experiences that you had to spend money on, like white water rafting or elephant rides in Thailand don't count. I want to hear some small moment from your life that proves you're really alive.[

^I like that one Godot

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor E. Frankl

'Life is just the extreme expression of complex chemistry' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
     Reply #1364 - November 15, 2012, 10:27 PM

"Kill one man and you are a murderer. Kill millions and you are a conqueror. Kill everyone and you are a God."

~ Jean Rostand
     Reply #1365 - November 15, 2012, 10:36 PM

So at what point do you stop being a murderer and get an upgrade?

Reply #1366 - November 15, 2012, 10:50 PM

lol.. are you planning on making it to god status ?
     Reply #1367 - November 15, 2012, 11:04 PM

Well, no. That would be counterproductive IMHO. However, there are some people the world wouldn't miss.........................

Reply #1368 - November 15, 2012, 11:30 PM

I say the cut off is at about 10 million humans. That way, other than maybe Stalin, nobody else can claim god-status.

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #1369 - November 15, 2012, 11:33 PM

Objectivity is a subject's delusion that observing can be done without him - Heinz von Foerster

JOIN THE CHAT
     Reply #1370 - November 17, 2012, 12:34 AM

“I was in the room here one day… watchin’ the Mexican channel on TV. I don’t know nothin’ about Pele. I’m watchin’ what this guy can do with a ball and his feet. Next thing I know, he jumps in the air and flips into a somersault and kicks the ball in – upside down and backwards… the goddamn goalie never knew what the fuck hit him. Pele gets excited and he rips off his jersey and starts running around the stadium waving it around his head. Everybody’s screaming in Spanish. I’m here, sitting alone in my room, and I start crying … That’s right, I start crying. Because another human being, a species that I happen to belong to, could kick a ball, and lift himself, and the rest of us sad-assed human beings, up to a better place to be, if only for a minute… let me tell ya, kid – it was pretty goddamned glorious. It ain’t the six minutes… it’s what happens in that six minutes.” – Elmo, Vision Quest.
     Reply #1371 - November 20, 2012, 07:57 AM

It's not where you come from, but where you rise to.

Reply #1372 - November 20, 2012, 10:21 PM

Reply #1373 - November 21, 2012, 08:06 AM

"Success, like happiness, cannot be pursued; it must ensue...as the unattained side effect of one's personal dedication to a course greater than oneself." - Viktor Frankl

Reply #1374 - November 22, 2012, 06:44 AM

About creationists:

If I had a calculator that gave the wrong answers to any problem that involved the number 3, regardless of why, it would be a useless piece of shit and I wouldn't trust it for anything. It would be in the trash.

If he is spouting fucking idiocy about hundreds of years old, well established, geological, biological and astronomical science he is effectively a fucking idiot.

Reply #1375 - November 22, 2012, 07:07 AM

Cheesy

As I pointed the gun at the baby, I decided to add to the dramatic atmosphere.

I said, "Any first words?"

Reply #1376 - November 22, 2012, 09:25 PM

"Isn't man an amazing animal? He kills wildlife - birds, kangaroos, deer, all kinds of cats, coyotes, beavers, groundhog, mice and fox by the million - in order to protect his domestic animals and their feed. Then he kills domestic animals by the billion and eats them. This in turn kills man by the million, because eating all those animals leads to degenerative and fatal health conditions like heart disease, kidney disease and cancer.

So then man tortures and kills millions more animals to look for cures for these diseases. Elsewhere, millions of other human beings are being killed by hunger and malnutrition because food they could eat is being used to fatten domestic animals. Meanwhile, some people are dying of sad laughter at the absurdity of man, who kills so easily and so violently, and once a year sends out cards praying for 'Peace on Earth'."
    ~David Coats

Reply #1377 - November 24, 2012, 11:34 AM

Man sets himself goals, and while he is heading towards them he is buoyed up by hope, indeed, but gnawed at the same time by the pain of unsatisfied desire. Once the goal is reached, however, after the first flush of triumph has passed away, there follows inevitably a mood of desolation. A void remains, which can seemingly find an end only through the painful emergence of new longings, the setting of new goals. So the game begins anew, and existence seems doomed to be a restless swinging to and fro between pain and boredom, which ends at last in the nothingness of death.  - Moritz Schlick

JOIN THE CHAT
     Reply #1378 - November 24, 2012, 11:31 PM

There is a face beneath this mask but it's not me. I'm no more that face than I am the muscles beneath it or the bones beneath them. - V
     Reply #1379 - November 25, 2012, 12:16 AM

Rorschach: Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.

- Watchman

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
    My political philosophy below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGat4i8pJI&feature=g-vrec
    Just kidding, here are some true heros
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTgvK6LQqA
  • Previous page 1 ... 44 45 4647 48 ... 55 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »