Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Long time reader, first time poster...

(Read 7678 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Long time reader, first time poster...
     OP - August 24, 2009, 08:34 AM

Ok,  haven't been here that long- only since June, but I just like the title Smiley Hi, I'm a 20 year old ex-Muslim from Ghana, but have lived in the Greater Toronto Area for the past 5 years. I was born in Saudi Arabia and lived there for 15 years before moving with my mom. My dad still lives there though.

Anyways, I've pretty much always hated being born into this religion, but would never really have the guts to admit it to myself for fear of eternal roasting. I was never a practising Muslim but the fear of hell was ingrained in me like you would bot buh-lieve. Happy to say its almost all gone now Smiley

My parents are both believers- they pray 5 times a day and what not, though they drink alcohol- even during Ramadan. Speaking of which, I HATE this time of year. I had mixed feelings about it back in Saudi because the atmosphere was great and there'd be lights everywhere- it was Christmas for Muslims. Plus 80% sales at the mall didnt hurt either lol. The downside was having to pray at school, pretty much faking my through it so no one would know I didn't know a darn thing about Islam *gasp!* But since moving to Canada, it pretty much sucks  Angry Fasting for 15 hours with no water - are you kidding me?! It's inhumane! I just pray we wont be here when it makes its way into June *shudder*. My strategy is to sleep through the entire thing and wake up for iftar. It's workin so far. Only 27 days to go Afro... Cry

One thing my parents are really good is the guilt trip. Me and my brother get the "What are you gonna teach your children?!" or "You should pray-it moves mountains" bit every so often. I hated it- it'd always make me feel guilty and I really did worry about my future kids. *Dear Lawd, they'll grow up to be heathens!* I don't know if I'll ever be able to tell them about my apostasy. I know my father would react worse than my mom would even though he's supposed to be the rational one; he has a degree in physics for the love of God!! Whatever their reaction was, it wouldn't be good.

It's only been 2 months since apostating/apostatizing/apostasizing (what the fuck's the word??), but I feel like I've been researching the Quran and it's blatant fallibility for ages now. I've reached a point of no return. To be religious now I'd have to be a different person and attain levels of cognitive dissonance I've never seen in myself before. How people convince themselves that the Quran is perfect while having read the damn thing will baffle me to the day I die. I'm so grateful for finding this forum. Without it I'd still be a non-practicing Muslim who hated the vice-like grip Islam held on my mind. Oddly, though, also without my formerly born again Christian friend... *Exhale* Sorry for the novel lol.

"We were married by a Reform rabbi in Long Island. A very Reform rabbi. A Nazi."-- Woody Allen
  • Re: Long time reader, first time poster...
     Reply #1 - August 24, 2009, 08:54 AM

Ghana! I believe that's a first over here. Welcome! piggy

Canada isn't so bad. You can go eat at a food joint during the day and no one cares, unlike in SA to say the least.

"Poor human nature, what horrible crimes have been committed in thy name!"
    - Emma Goldman
     Reply #2 - August 24, 2009, 09:35 AM

Welcome Angel54.. Smiley

Glad you did escape S.A.  Afro

"I'm Agnostic about God."

Richard Dawkins
    ==
    "If there is a God, it has to be a man; no woman could or would ever fuck things up like this."
     George Carlin == "...The so-called moderates are actually the public relations arm of Al-Qaeda and the Islamic Republic of Iran."  Maryam Namazie
     Reply #3 - August 24, 2009, 09:35 AM

It's only been 2 months since apostating/apostatizing/apostasizing (what the fuck's the word??)

The correct term is apostatisationalising. grin12
    Anyway welcome to the forum. Seen you lurking around a bit and was wondering if you'd ever say hello.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #4 - August 24, 2009, 09:42 AM

Os don't you mean ApostatisationalisingnessshipCheesy

Welcome Angel.... I would use X-Muslim.... it is easier! LOL

Reply #5 - August 24, 2009, 09:58 AM

I would use X-Muslim.... it is easier! LOL

+1 and welcome  Afro
     Reply #6 - August 24, 2009, 11:56 AM

take a seat and enjoy the ride

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #7 - August 24, 2009, 02:42 PM

Welcome Angel.   Smiley

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #8 - August 24, 2009, 02:45 PM

Welcome to the forums Angel!

And it is our first from Ghana. Yay  bunny

Blind faith is an ironic gift to return to the Creator of human intelligence

Reply #9 - August 24, 2009, 09:39 PM

Welcome Angel54.. Smiley

Glad you did escape S.A.  Afro

LOl, don't really see it as escaping. I still love the country, but it's not exactly a place for a young woman with aspirations, especially ones that include haram things Wink

Whereabouts in Saudi are you?

"We were married by a Reform rabbi in Long Island. A very Reform rabbi. A Nazi."-- Woody Allen
     Reply #10 - August 24, 2009, 09:44 PM

Welcome Angel! Am looking forward to your posts! It's great to see more fellow Canadians joining up.  dance

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #11 - August 24, 2009, 10:00 PM

Welcome to the forum Angel54.  Afro

Reply #12 - August 24, 2009, 10:10 PM

Big welcome Angel54  Afro

Contrary to what Muslims say -  ex-Muslims are a great bunch - and an Angel would fit in here just fine. (a slightly naughty angel that is Wink )
     Reply #13 - August 24, 2009, 11:32 PM

Whereabouts in Saudi are you?

===========

I'm a Jeddawi....(u know wut that is, presuming that you understand/know the Hijazi dialect...)   bunny

Richard Dawkins
    ==
    "If there is a God, it has to be a man; no woman could or would ever fuck things up like this."
     George Carlin == "...The so-called moderates are actually the public relations arm of Al-Qaeda and the Islamic Republic of Iran."  Maryam Namazie
     Reply #14 - August 24, 2009, 11:57 PM

Uh no, lol. Lived there most of my life, but I don't know Arabic, apart from numbers and swear words =). But I'm assuming that means you're from Jeddah.  propellor head

Reply #15 - August 25, 2009, 12:29 AM

Welcome Angel, hope you feel welcome on this forum Smiley
     Reply #16 - August 25, 2009, 12:35 AM

You are right Angel54... Afro

Richard Dawkins
    ==
     Reply #17 - August 25, 2009, 04:07 AM

welcome angel54. as far as what to teach your kids, not too difficult. teach them to be fair, tolerant, informed, responsible, and above all, free.
     Reply #18 - August 25, 2009, 06:10 PM

Welcome aboard Angel,

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
     Reply #19 - August 28, 2009, 10:33 AM

Hey Angel!

Fellow GTAer here, hows it going?

Maliki yawm ul LULZ
     Reply #20 - August 28, 2009, 06:40 PM

Welcome Angel54, I am from the GTA as well Smiley

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshiped anything but himself."
    ~Sir Richard Francis Burton

"I think religion is just like smoking: Both invented by people, addictive, harmful, and kills!"
    ~RIBS
     Reply #21 - August 28, 2009, 08:07 PM

Greetings and salutations!

Greetings

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

The sleeper has awakened -  Dune

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish!
     Reply #22 - June 26, 2010, 09:47 AM

===========

I'm a Jeddawi....(u know wut that is, presuming that you understand/know the Hijazi dialect...)   bunny

YAY!!!!! Another Jeddawi!!! This forum amazes me every time!
    Wait...Alecto was Angel54???

I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star
    In somebody else's sky, but why, why, why
    Can't it be, can't it be mine

https://twitter.com/AlharbiMoe
     Reply #23 - June 26, 2010, 04:48 PM

Lol, I cant believe you dug up my intro post LMAO, and yes I was Angel54 lol.

And Emerald hasnt been around in a while. If he's reading this, we miss you

Reply #24 - June 26, 2010, 06:13 PM

what does alecto mean?
     Reply #25 - June 26, 2010, 06:16 PM

Greek goddess of unceasing anger.

Reply #26 - June 26, 2010, 07:50 PM

I AM ANGWY APPEEEEEASE ME!!!
     Reply #27 - June 26, 2010, 07:50 PM

She sounds like an ex.
     Reply #28 - June 26, 2010, 09:24 PM

Greek goddess of unceasing anger.

I was going to object to you changing your username, but if that's really what it means, then I definitely withdraw my objection.

fuck you
     Reply #29 - June 27, 2010, 02:53 AM

lol

• 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »