Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: what it takes

(Read 3665 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • what it takes
     OP - August 16, 2009, 04:16 AM

First a bit of background. Grew up as a shia moslem. Father was a bit of a pusher with the rules like the morning prayer and fasting. Fortunately mother wasn't so strict and mostly shielded me from the stuff. Always had an inquisitive mind since childhood, questioning everything, seeking proof and evidence. Also I detest absolute authority, which makes accepting religion a challenge. So I suppose that makes me an unconvinced moslem as a child and an atheist as an adult.

As I've grown older (mid-40's) I have become more hostile towards religion. Naturally islam gets the lion's share of my hostility since it's the one I was being deceived with. Left alone I won't fight religion, but if there ever was a war between religion and atheism, I won't be rooting for religion, islam or whatever.

So I listened to the recording (given in this thread: councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=6169.0) and the imam or whoever  responding to a doubter's question sounds bored and indifferent. Same stuff I used to hear as a child, but at the root of it is the fact that it takes blind faith to believe and that makes it logical!

What strikes me is how at every turn these people use mundane metaphors and examples as persuasive argument but fail to mention that the divine domain should be vastly different from the human domain. When I walk into a building, I do not have the blueprint and the safety records, so I take a certain amount of risk entering, but:
    1-   I realize that there is a chance the building isn't safe and I feel no shame in expressing doubt. nor will there be death edicts issued upon my declaration of doubt.
    2-   I do not put blind faith in the builder, allowing him to command me to bow towards a black-clad cube in saudi arabia or go hungry for a month.

If these imams are 100% convinced of islam, then they should cast away their inane comparisons to the human realm and bring in the super-natural evidence. I mean they are talking about god's domain which is supposed to be absolutely untouchable and unassailable. Yet, all they have is a bunch of weak examples taken directly from human experiences, barely good enough to convince the weak and the gullible.

When I was a child what I wanted as proof of god was to see him. Eventually I learned that god's character has been skillfully constructed so a person can not sense him and must deduce its existence by looking at secondary evidence, say, trees or mountains. Nicely done.

But not so fast. Heaven and hell are described as real places with milk and honey and figs and fire and brimstone and other assorted goodies well within our range of sensory perceptions. So all I ask now is a verifiable tour of heaven and/or hell. Like a tour bus of sorts with a bunch of other trusted people present so I can confirm that it wasn't a dream. Even better if I can take my camera along and bring samples back. I don't even want to see people tortured and mutilated. Just a tour of the perimeter is good. This can't be that difficult for the almighty. I promise, upon return I will pray, fast, give up pork and alcohol and do whatever other silly rituals. But I still won't take part in any grotesque acts like beheading.
  • Re: what it takes
     Reply #1 - August 16, 2009, 06:57 AM

Welcome to the forum.  Smiley

"I'm Agnostic about God."

Richard Dawkins
    ==
    "If there is a God, it has to be a man; no woman could or would ever fuck things up like this."
     George Carlin == "...The so-called moderates are actually the public relations arm of Al-Qaeda and the Islamic Republic of Iran."  Maryam Namazie
     Reply #2 - August 16, 2009, 07:25 AM

But not so fast. Heaven and hell are described as real places with milk and honey and figs and fire and brimstone and other assorted goodies well within our range of sensory perceptions. So all I ask now is a verifiable tour of heaven and/or hell. Like a tour bus of sorts with a bunch of other trusted people present so I can confirm that it wasn't a dream. Even better if I can take my camera along and bring samples back. I don't even want to see people tortured and mutilated. Just a tour of the perimeter is good. This can't be that difficult for the almighty. I promise, upon return I will pray, fast, give up pork and alcohol and do whatever other silly rituals. But I still won't take part in any grotesque acts like beheading.

+1
    .. and welcome.  can I ask where are you from?  how did you come across this site?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #3 - August 16, 2009, 09:59 AM

Even if he did exist, is it fair for him to forcibly put us through this silly experiment which we had no say in?

Why do we humans arrogantly assume that we are capable of understanding the origins of the universe?

Take the Pakman challenge and convince me there is a God and Mo was not a murdering, power hungry sex maniac.
     Reply #4 - August 16, 2009, 10:35 AM

Why do we humans arrogantly assume that we are capable of understanding the origins of the universe?

Never thought of it like that before, but you're right.  Perhaps it is beyond our centres of awareness (like the theories of the cosmos Cheesy). 

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #5 - August 16, 2009, 11:13 AM

Welcome Welcome !  bunny

أشهد أن لا إله إلا الله وأن محمدآ عبده ورسوله
     Reply #6 - August 16, 2009, 01:31 PM

What strikes me is how at every turn these people use mundane metaphors and examples as persuasive argument but fail to mention that the divine domain should be vastly different from the human domain. When I walk into a building, I do not have the blueprint and the safety records, so I take a certain amount of risk entering, but:
    1-   I realize that there is a chance the building isn't safe and I feel no shame in expressing doubt. nor will there be death edicts issued upon my declaration of doubt.
    2-   I do not put blind faith in the builder, allowing him to command me to bow towards a black-clad cube in saudi arabia or go hungry for a month.

Welcome, nothingthere - what an awesome opening post. Re-above quote, that is so true! I am really sick of the stupid comparisons - even today while walking in Oxford city centre I came across a Muslim guy handing out leaflets and so I had a few quick words with him and as usual questioned how any sane person could believe in an eternal Hell. He said: "Don't you punish your child when he is naughty?" I felt like saying; "Oh for goodness sake - don't you have any brain cells up there?" But instead I smiled and said: "Sorry, I've got to go and catch a bus."  grin12
     Reply #7 - August 16, 2009, 03:05 PM

Welcome to the forums Smiley

Blind faith is an ironic gift to return to the Creator of human intelligence

Reply #8 - August 16, 2009, 03:08 PM

Welcome.  Smiley

So all I ask now is a verifiable tour of heaven and/or hell. Like a tour bus of sorts with a bunch of other trusted people present so I can confirm that it wasn't a dream. Even better if I can take my camera along and bring samples back. I don't even want to see people tortured and mutilated. Just a tour of the perimeter is good. This can't be that difficult for the almighty. I promise, upon return I will pray, fast, give up pork and alcohol and do whatever other silly rituals. But I still won't take part in any grotesque acts like beheading.

Ah, but you see then it wouldn't be a test.  Allah has to test your faith because......well, just because.   wacko

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #9 - August 16, 2009, 03:23 PM

yes of course, the test. and the quran is the study guide, right?

thanks guys for the welcome. i'm originally from iran but have lived in usa for many years. i'm pretty open about my atheistic views, but easy for me living in an open society.

the heroes are the ones who have stood up to the evil of religion and lost much including their lives.
     Reply #10 - August 16, 2009, 06:29 PM

welcome nothinghere... great opening post!  Smiley

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #11 - August 16, 2009, 10:30 PM

First a bit of background. Grew up as a shia moslem.

Another ex-Shia.  parrot  We're picking up quite a few of you guys. It's nice how ex-Sunni and ex-Shia get along a lot better than Sunni and Shia do. Funny about that.
    Welcome to the forum anyway.

When I was a child what I wanted as proof of god was to see him. Eventually I learned that god's character has been skillfully constructed so a person can not sense him and must deduce its existence by looking at secondary evidence, say, trees or mountains. Nicely done.

Yeah well it has to be that way. If it wasn't then everyone would believe, which means nobody would get burned in hell forever. Obviously this would be a bad thing, right?  whistling2

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #12 - August 16, 2009, 11:17 PM

Welcome to the forum and what a great opening statement.
     Reply #13 - August 17, 2009, 12:00 AM

Welcome nothingthere,

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »