Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Ex Lutheran/Christian

(Read 7628 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Ex Lutheran/Christian
     OP - August 06, 2009, 10:59 PM

I was raised Lutheran but in the more liberal sect.  My Dad worked for a beer company in Michigan and our pastors often drank beer with the congregation.  My parents are liberal and as such, I am too.

I married a wonderful man from India.  After his parents got over the shock, they came to accept me.  I had my 18 year old son in India and lived in Madras (yeah, I know Chenaii but it's still Madras to me).  His parents house was accros the street from a Masjid and I remember the call to prayer very clearly.  In fact, when my son was 2 months old, he was blessed by an iman at the Masjid.  (My in laws are Hindu but they said he should be blessed by an iman???).  When we got back to the states he was baptized in the Lutheran tradition.

We traveled throughout S India and Hyderabad became my favorite city.  That is where I really interacted with Muslims.  The people seemed nicer in Hyderabad and I could practice my Telugu there.

Fast forward some years and I ask for a divorce (which I regret immensly).  Due to the fact that I have been very depressed as I regret the divorce (and he is remarried) I started taking a closer look at religion.  In doing so, I came to the conclusion there isn't a god but I got hung up on Islam.

I have watched countless hours of youtube Islamic lectures (in fact I found this site through youtube).  So I came here to learn more and ask questions. 

I have 3 sons and their father still has them go to Hindu temples but I also talk to them about religion/science/reason.  They have no interest in religion as it stands now.

That's basically how I got to this site.

You do not need the Bible to justify love, but no better tool has been invented to justify hate. Richard A. Weatherwax

Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family.  Steven Colbert
  • Re: Ex Lutheran/Christian
     Reply #1 - August 06, 2009, 11:12 PM

Welcome.  How did you handle the initial transtion from US to India, and now how are you handling the transition from India to US?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #2 - August 06, 2009, 11:53 PM

So what beer company did your dad work for and what did he do there? Miller used to have a brewery in Michigan, yeah?

fuck you
     Reply #3 - August 07, 2009, 12:10 AM

As far as the transition fom US to India, I was young (21 years) and I would complain at times (why are Indians always late, why does the government shut off electricity with no warning, Thumbs Up is icky etc etc).  However, I adjusted and only stayed there a year.  We came back to the US when my son was 3 1/2 months old.

It was a learning experience and I am thankful I got to experience that. 

The brewery you may be thinking of is in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.  That is where Miller is headquartered.  My Dad worked for Budweiser and he worked for a distributor in Michigan.  We got a VIP tour of the Anheuser-Busch headquarters in St Louis when I was a kid, it was cool.

The odd thing is, I cannot stand beer.  I tried to like it but not going to happen in this lifetime.  Smiley

You do not need the Bible to justify love, but no better tool has been invented to justify hate. Richard A. Weatherwax

Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family.  Steven Colbert
     Reply #4 - August 07, 2009, 12:41 AM

hi
    lane4
    welcome

i am from hyderabad

please read my blog, read how islam will win
    the clash of civilization.

http://www.xanga.com/hfghj23458654fgha
     Reply #5 - August 07, 2009, 01:23 AM

Nasmaskarum Undi, barunara?
    (my poor attempt at Telugu)

Reply #6 - August 07, 2009, 04:55 AM

Welcome Lane,

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
     Reply #7 - August 07, 2009, 06:48 AM

Welcome

I hope you find what you're looking for, both here and in life.

"I am ready to make my confession. I ask for no forgiveness father, for I have not sinned. I have only done what I needed to do to survive. I did not ask for the life that I was given, but it was given nonetheless-and with it, I did my best"
     Reply #8 - August 07, 2009, 09:16 AM

^Ameen. Smiley

I chose to get circumcised at 17, don't tell me I never believed.
     Reply #9 - August 07, 2009, 10:29 PM

Nasmaskarum Undi, barunara?
    (my poor attempt at Telugu)

lol

i dont speak telugu but namasta to you

please read my blog, read how islam will win
    the clash of civilization.

http://www.xanga.com/hfghj23458654fgha
     Reply #10 - August 08, 2009, 01:11 AM

Welcome again.. Smiley

I assume you no longer visit Churches?

"I'm Agnostic about God."

Richard Dawkins
    ==
    "If there is a God, it has to be a man; no woman could or would ever fuck things up like this."
     George Carlin == "...The so-called moderates are actually the public relations arm of Al-Qaeda and the Islamic Republic of Iran."  Maryam Namazie
     Reply #11 - August 08, 2009, 01:32 AM

Only go to churches for weddings and funerals.  yes The city I am from has the most churches per capita in Michigan. 

Reply #12 - August 08, 2009, 01:42 AM

Aha,

non-religious visits...then.... parrot

"I'm Agnostic about God."

Richard Dawkins
    ==
    "If there is a God, it has to be a man; no woman could or would ever fuck things up like this."
     George Carlin == "...The so-called moderates are actually the public relations arm of Al-Qaeda and the Islamic Republic of Iran."  Maryam Namazie
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »