Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Today at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Today at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Honey's a cure-all (we were right!)

(Read 5912 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Honey's a cure-all (we were right!)
     OP - July 01, 2009, 03:50 PM

Remaining true to a long tradition of selectively using scientific discoveries only if they seem to confirm religious scripture, I bring you:

Study: Honey can kill superbugs

LONDON, England (CNN) -- Honey has been used to treat wounds since ancient times, but recent years have seen a surge of medical interest in the sticky stuff.
    Research has shown that honey has antibacterial properties.

Research has shown that honey has antibacterial properties.

Manuka honey has been the subject of particular interest, with the results of a study just published by Sydney University finding that it has powerful antibacterial properties, and is even effective against antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

Associate Professor Dee Carter, from Sydney University's School of Molecular and Microbial Biosciences said: "Our research is the first to clearly show that these honey-based products could in many cases replace antibiotic creams on wounds and equipment such as catheters. Using honey as an intermediate treatment could also prolong the life of antibiotics."

"Most bacteria that cause infections in hospitals are resistant to at least one antibiotic, and there is an urgent need for new ways to treat and control surface infections."

She added: "We don't quite know how these honeys prevent and kill infections, but a compound in them called methylglyoxal seems to interact with a number of other unknown compounds in honey to prevent infectious bacteria developing new strains that are resistant to it."

Honey is a complex substance, containing up to 800 compounds and its complexity means it has been difficult to pinpoint exactly how it kills bacteria.
    Vital Signs
    Each month CNN's Dr. Sanjay Gupta brings viewers health stories from around the world.
    See more from the show ?

Manuka is a type of honey that is made by bees pollinating the flowers of the Manuka bush, a member of the Leptospermum family that grows naturally in New Zealand.

Now, an Australian company is claiming to have produced the world's most potent medical-grade antibacterial honey, made by bees pollinating the Australian jellybush, also a member of the Leptospermum family.

Australia's Medi Bioactive Honey Company claims its Berringa antibacterial honey has twice the antibacterial content of normal manuka honey, and has launched the product in the UK.

Dr Rose Cooper of the University of Wales Cardiff School of Health Sciences has researched honey's antibacterial action and has written a book called "Honey in Modern Wounds Management."

Cooper told CNN that there are many components in honey that contribute to its antibacterial nature. She says its high sugar content, low water content and low pH are all factors. Additionally, some honey produces hydrogen peroxide, which can kill bacteria.

Since 2004, Britain's National Health Service has licensed the use of manuka-honey wound dressings and sterilized medical grade manuka-honey creams

Source: http://edition.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/07/01/manuka.honey.bacteria/index.html

Original source:

'Honey is a remedy for every illness and the Qur'an is a remedy for all illness of the mind, therefore I recommend to you both remedies, the Qur'an and honey.'
    (Bukhari)

p.s. any questions about camel urine will be ignored until further notice

"By the One in Whose Hand my soul is, were you not to commit sins, Allah would replace you with a people who would commit sins and then seek forgiveness from Allah; and Allah would forgive them." [Saheeh Muslim]

"Wherever you are, death will find you, Even in the looming tower."
    - Quran 4:78
  • Re: Honey's a cure-all (we were right!)
     Reply #1 - July 01, 2009, 04:02 PM

Honey has been used to treat wounds since ancient times,

Yes, remaining true to the tradition of falsely claiming that something which longs pre-dates Islam wasn't known about till Mohammed had an hallucination in a cave. This can be filed along with the....cough..."miracle" of iron, the moon as reflected light, etc, etc, ad nauseam.   Cheesy

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #2 - July 01, 2009, 04:07 PM

Remaining true to a long tradition of selectively using scientific discoveries only if they seem to confirm religious scripture

You know what, I respect you for being a Muslim and seeing the situation through our eyes.  You remain unique amongst muslims, and hopefully you will at the very least get more sense out of the religion that they, or we, ever did.  And I hope you do because you have at least tried.

Associate Professor Dee Carter, from Sydney University's School of Molecular and Microbial Biosciences said: "Our research is the first to clearly show that these honey-based products could in many cases replace antibiotic creams on wounds and equipment such as catheters. Using honey as an intermediate treatment could also prolong the life of antibiotics."

"Most bacteria that cause infections in hospitals are resistant to at least one antibiotic, and there is an urgent need for new ways to treat and control surface infections."

Agreed, Islam got it broadly right about honey

'Honey is a remedy for every illness and the Qur'an is a remedy for all illness of the mind, therefore I recommend to you both remedies, the Qur'an and honey.'
    (Bukhari)

Do you really believe honey is the remedy for every illness?  Who said this, your prophet?

p.s. any questions about camel urine will be ignored until further notice

Can we ask you about fly's wings then?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #3 - July 01, 2009, 04:13 PM

Whoever said it wasnt known before Islam?

On an unrelated note, is it true that Irish doctors prescribe Guiness to pregnant women?

"By the One in Whose Hand my soul is, were you not to commit sins, Allah would replace you with a people who would commit sins and then seek forgiveness from Allah; and Allah would forgive them." [Saheeh Muslim]

Reply #4 - July 01, 2009, 04:23 PM

On an unrelated note, is it true that Irish doctors prescribe Guiness to pregnant women?

They do it in london too, it's high in iron so if you are iron deficient during pregnancy they will recommend it, more than liver because liver has too much vitamin A for a pregnant woman to consume.

It's not a prescription, it's a suggestion.

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #5 - July 01, 2009, 04:23 PM

Given that it was known before Islam, its kind of irrelevant to the whole debate about Islam.  Its like saying, ooh look Mohammed knew that the sky was blue. 

No, Irish doctors don't prescribe Guinness to pregnant women.   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Dunno where you got that from.  The advice against drinking alcohol while pregnant is the same here as I presume it is in Canada.  (There is an old wives tale that small amounts of Guinness are good for you while pregnant, I think there's a similar one in France about wine.  Nobody below the age of about 40 would take it seriously though.)

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #6 - July 01, 2009, 04:33 PM

Quote from: Bukhari
    the Qur'an is a remedy for all illness of the mind

We should send copies of the Quran to insane asylums.  Cheesy

Islam: where idiots meet terrorists.
     Reply #7 - July 01, 2009, 04:34 PM

Why not just take an iron supplement?

Reply #8 - July 01, 2009, 04:36 PM

Exactly.  That's what you would be told to do here, doctors in London must be a lot more liberal about alcohol than their Irish counterparts.

Reply #9 - July 01, 2009, 04:50 PM

Why not just take an iron supplement?

You can, but moderate alcohol during pregnancy isn't forbidden so why not recommend something nice to go with your food?

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #10 - July 01, 2009, 05:02 PM

Exactly.  That's what you would be told to do here, doctors in London must be a lot more liberal about alcohol than their Irish counterparts.

Methinks the lady doth protest too much, why would London doctors prescribe Guiness and not the Irish?

I know its your island and all, but still...

Reply #11 - July 01, 2009, 05:05 PM

Nonsense, I'm only telling you what I know.  Maybe - and this is just a guess - Irish doctors are more puritan about it because we have more of a problem with binge drinking. 

Reply #12 - July 01, 2009, 05:08 PM

Makes sense, perhaps Irish doctors should prescribe Islam (in low evenly-spaced doses) to combat binge-drinking?

Reply #13 - July 01, 2009, 05:11 PM

Can we ask you about fly's wings then?

negative

Reply #14 - July 01, 2009, 05:13 PM

Quote from: Arab-Wannabe
    Makes sense, perhaps Irish doctors should prescribe Islam (in light doses) to combat binge-drinking?

No way, Islam is highly toxic, even a small dose can cause severe mental problems in otherwise healthy adults.  whistling2

Islam: where idiots meet terrorists.
     Reply #15 - July 01, 2009, 05:16 PM

I doubt it would do any good, AW.  Islam's advice on alcohol is no different to the Catholic Pioneer movement, and that hasn't made any discernible difference to us. 

One of my local pubs is managed by a (Turkish descent) muslim who is not teetotal himself, so I can't see that Islam makes any difference to Irish muslims either.  Its the culture, innit.

Reply #16 - July 01, 2009, 05:19 PM

Moderate use has done wonders for many people, of course downing the whole thing at once without reading the instructions may have adverse effects.

It is however a highly addictive substance  Smiley

Reply #17 - July 01, 2009, 06:05 PM

It is however a highly addictive substance  Smiley

Depends, I havent touched a drop for weeks.  Its up to the kind of person that consumes it.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #18 - July 01, 2009, 07:08 PM

It is not true that Irish doctors prescribe guinness to pregnant women. It used to be recommended back in the day, but although it is high in iron, drinking in during pregnancy is now not recommended at all by doctors. Last year, the NHS said that it is much safer if women did not drink at all during pregnancy.

Religion - The hot potato that looked delicious but ended up burning your mouth!

Knock your head on the ground, don't be miserly in your prayers, listen to your Sidi Sheikh, Allahu Akbar! - Lounes Matoub
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »