Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Lights on the way
by akay
Today at 04:40 PM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 02:45 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Where the hell is the quote button?

(Read 31821 times)
  • Previous page 1 2 34 5 6 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Where the hell is the quote button?
     Reply #60 - July 01, 2009, 08:54 PM

Hass - Can't you see the quote button when you reply to this post, at the top right of this post?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #61 - July 01, 2009, 08:56 PM

I always quote people manually, i.e. I use the scroll menu below the posting space to pick up what I'm going to quote, then I copy/paste those parts. Next, I quote them using the "Insert Quote" button above, and then insert the name of the poster, i.e.

[quote ="Hassan"]

Not too difficult.

Islam: where idiots meet terrorists.
     Reply #62 - July 01, 2009, 08:57 PM

Thats a longer way of doing it..

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #63 - July 01, 2009, 08:59 PM

Quote from: IsLame
    Thats a longer way of doing it..

It takes no more than several seconds, plus you can quote people in whatever combination you like.

Reply #64 - July 01, 2009, 09:00 PM

Hass - Can't you see the quote button when you reply to this post, at the top right of this post?

I can't see any quote button in the LAST post - which is what we are talking about.

I can see the quote button BELOW other posts (Why the fuck was it necessary to move it down to the bottom?)
     Reply #65 - July 01, 2009, 09:03 PM

I always quote people manually, i.e. I use the scroll menu below the posting space to pick up what I'm going to quote, then I copy/paste those parts. Next, I quote them using the "Insert Quote" button above, and then insert the name of the poster, i.e.

[quote ="Hassan"]

Not too difficult.

Not to difficult for you - but difficult for me.

I always see quotes have a load of shit attached.

i.e. quote author=Zaephon link=topic=5825.msg148443#msg148443 date=1246481773

How the hell am I supposed to know what to put after I type [quote....

?
     Reply #66 - July 01, 2009, 09:03 PM

You dont see the quote button straight away for the last post (to stop people unnecessarily quoting the last post).  

Reply to the post first, then below the message box you type in should be the quote button above and to the right of the last post if you want to split it.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #67 - July 01, 2009, 09:06 PM

Quote from: Hassan

Those parts are redundant, really. You can just use this template, changing the user name manually, of course:

[quote = "Hassan"] oooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo[ /quote]

Reply #68 - July 01, 2009, 09:06 PM

OK I hit reply  - and am looking - but I can't see where I quote you?
     Reply #69 - July 01, 2009, 09:07 PM

OK I hit reply  - and am looking - but I can't see where I quote you?

dance dance dance

Reply #70 - July 01, 2009, 09:08 PM

But if you did a long post, I want to have each part saying:

"Oz said this load of bollox..."

"But I say this..."

"Oz also said this load of crap..."

"But I say this..."

Etc...

How do I do that? (without the quote button?)

(Like the example I gave you btw)

Hit the Reply button. Below the reply form is Additional Options (which is used for attaching files) and below that is the Post button and the Preview button (of course the latter never gets used  grin12 ) and below that is a list of all the posts in the thread with, this is the reall groovy bit, an Insert Quote link at the top right of every post. Guess what it does.  parrot

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #71 - July 01, 2009, 09:10 PM

Those parts are redundant, really. You can just use this template, changing the user name manually, of course:

[quote = "Hassan"] oooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo[ /quote]

OK thanks Zaephon, I didn't know that - you have improved my knowledge -

@OzPerhaps it would be a good idea to let ppl know what to do before removing stuff? And also maybe ppl like it the way it was and know what to do and don't want to learn new ways of doing things - espc if the benefits are debatable.
     Reply #72 - July 01, 2009, 09:10 PM

Can everyone attach images here now, whether the thread is in valhalla or not?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #73 - July 01, 2009, 09:11 PM

?

That load of shit is what puts the original poster's name in the header title of the quote and links it to their original post. This is good because it means people can check what you quoted for accuracy and context.

It works just like the standard quote opening tag. You type your content between the ] at the end of the load of shit and the [ at the start of the closing quote tag. I've put the above in code tags so you can see how it looks on the reply form.

[quote author=Hassan link=topic=5825.msg148449#msg148449 date=1246482180]

?
    [/quote]That load of shit is what puts the original poster's name in the header title of the quote and links it to their original post. This is good because it means people can check what you quoted for accuracy and context.

It works just like the standard quote opening tag. You type your content between the ] at the end of the load of shit and the [ at the start of the closing quote tag. I've put the above in code tags so you can see how it looks on the reply form.

Reply #74 - July 01, 2009, 09:16 PM

and below that is a list of all the posts in the thread with, this is the reall groovy bit, an Insert Quote link at the top right of every post. Guess what it does.  parrot

Yes I see it now.

But how do you expect ppl to discover that on their own?

Maybe when I get used to that it will be fine - and just as quick as the old way. (then again - maybe not)

But shouldn't you tell us what to do before removing the quote button.

Sorry we can't all be good at computers.

Reply #75 - July 01, 2009, 09:18 PM

Hass, if you want to split a post up and you want each split portion to link to the original post then instead of using a standard [q uote] tag to open it copy the load of shit and use that instead. Normally for split quotes I don't bother, because if the first one is linked to the original post I think that is enough for practical purposes. You can do it either way though.

And yes I probably should have let people know beforehand but I was feeling mischievous and anyway I think everyone knows now.

Reply #76 - July 01, 2009, 09:24 PM

Yes I see it now.

But how do you expect ppl to discover that on their own?

Umm. Well it's just there innit.  Huh?
    Also it has been specifically mentioned in the http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=132.0 thread which we did write ages ago to help people out. I should probably make the Insert Quote link bold or something though so it's more obvious. The standard non-bold small text is a bit too inconspicuous.

Maybe when I get used to that it will be fine - and just as quick as the old way. (then again - maybe not)

Depending on what you want to do at the time it can actually be better. If you want to quote more than one person in the same reply and have all the quotes linked to their original context then using the list on the full reply page is the quickest and easiest way of doing it.

Reply #77 - July 01, 2009, 09:25 PM

copy the load of shit

Which I do by:

1. Hitting 'Reply'

2. Scrolling down below the 'reply' window - to the last post.

3. Hitting the small 'quote post' in the top right of that post (that I had no idea was there before a few minutes ago).

Thanks - but forgive me if I find the old way easier and would have preferred it left alone.
     Reply #78 - July 01, 2009, 09:30 PM

Quote from: Hassan
    Thanks - but forgive me if I find the old way easier and would have preferred it left alone.

That's partly the point of changing it.  The old way was so easy that people were unthinkingly and unnecessarily hitting quote in the post above them and clogging things up.  We were seeing massive long posts quoted by the person directly below them with "Yeah, I agree"  underneath.  There's no need to always quote the post immediately above.

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #79 - July 01, 2009, 09:36 PM

I don't think I personally did that - in which case I am being punished for others mistakes. (and anyway - who really cares)

Sorry to be an old fuddy duddy but I really don't like not seeing the quote button there and find it harder to hit reply then scroll down then hit quote when I achieved all those 3 steps in ONE step = "Quote".

OK I am not going to say another word on this subject.

Smiley
     Reply #80 - July 01, 2009, 09:37 PM

Exactly what Cheetah said. It was too damned easy and as a consequence was being used inappropriately. Sure, if you have a specific need to quote the post directly above you then it is now slightly less convenient. However it is not usual for this to be the case. Usually you can just go ahead and reply.

Reply #81 - July 01, 2009, 09:44 PM

I don't think I personally did that - in which case I am being punished for others mistakes.

In a way, yes. However if you'll think about it you'll see I am inflicting precisely the same "punishment" on myself, because quoting the last post on occasions when it is necessary is now slightly less convenient for me. I think it is a sacrifice  mysmilie_977  worth making because of the benefits that hopefully will accrue.

Reading a thread is quicker and easier if quotes are not used unnecessarily. There is less scrolling involved, which saves time and effort.  It is less annoying because you are not constantly having a pile of stuff you just read shoved in your face. It is easier to read because you can see clearly that one person says something and then the next person replies in their post. You don't have to scan past a quote before you can discern what their reply actually is. I find this vastly preferable myself.

Reply #82 - July 02, 2009, 11:40 AM

Dear Osmanthus, I thought I saw few days ago that the reply and quote buttons or links were placed to the far right of the post as in the attached image.

I think it looked nicer.....

Reply #83 - July 02, 2009, 12:28 PM

yes that is better I guess!

Reply #84 - July 02, 2009, 01:07 PM

looks neater, and less congested now

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #85 - July 02, 2009, 01:35 PM

The 'quote/reply' buttons keep switching positions depending on which post I look at Huh?
     Reply #86 - July 02, 2009, 02:02 PM

How dare you question the WILL of Mighty O?
    Now you have to pray 30 times for 30 days and 30 nights, hoping that you will not be banned for eternity! Infidel!
    Only prayers from BerberAllah (PBUH) would save your soul! Calif Cheetah can help too! Cheesy

Reply #87 - July 02, 2009, 02:55 PM

Meh, I'd rather go to hell Tongue
     Reply #88 - July 02, 2009, 04:26 PM

But don't you think the buttons look neat on the right?

Reply #89 - July 02, 2009, 08:36 PM

The 'quote/reply' buttons keep switching positions depending on which post I look at Huh?

Examples? Note that at the moment they will go up and down depending on post content because they are coded to have a line break after the last line of text in the post. The same applied to the old quick edit button. I just plonked the new buttons in the same location. They shouldn't move left to right though.

• Previous page 1 2 34 5 6 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »