Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Where the hell is the quote button?

(Read 31797 times)
  • 12 3 ... 6 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Where the hell is the quote button?
     OP - June 29, 2009, 10:04 PM

I will now demonstrate proper usage of the quote function.  parrot

The quote button disappears at the last post of each thread. Why's that?

Probably bcos it takes the first quote only - you can always re-insert it manually.  Multiple quotes were stopped earlier this month.

Nope. It's because yesterday I deliberately removed the quote button from the last post in each thread. The reason is that 90% or more of the time it is completely unnecessary to quote said post, because it will be directly above your reply to it. The quote function is only really needed for linking to posts further back in the thread when it is necessary to clarify what you are replying to. My fervent hope is that this innovation will vastly reduce the amount of superfluous stuff cluttering up our forum and make it easier, quicker and more pleasant to read for everyone.

good idea, it think it'll work

I hope so. My normal practice is to just reply to a last post without quoting and quickly check the result once it is posted. If someone has been quciker and thrown in another post before mine and  if I think it is necessary for clarity then I will manually insert the relevant quote.

Actually what I'd really like to do is move the quote button. At the moment it is next to the "Modify" button, which occasionally leads to stuff-ups when someone (particularly a staff member) hits the wrong button in a hurry and edits a post instead of quoting it. My feeling is that it would make more sense if the quote button was moved to the bottom right of post (where the quick edit is now) and the quick edit was moved to where the quote button now is (and renamed "Edit" to distinguish it from the slower but more advanced "Modify"). 

For the last post in a thread the quote button would also be replaced with a "Reply" button that uses the same link as the current reply function that is underneath the posts. That way people wouldn't have to head for two different places depending on which post they were replying to. All reply functions would be in the same location.

Feedback is welcome.  thnkyu

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
  • Re: Where the hell is the quote button?
     Reply #1 - June 29, 2009, 10:36 PM

yes that is nice. I like that.

Reply #2 - June 29, 2009, 11:06 PM

Os - How did you do that as you had to quote from different threads?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #3 - June 29, 2009, 11:29 PM

It was all from the same thread but I use the same method for multiple threads. Just open as many tabs as you need to access all the posts you want to use. In this case I just used one extra tab since the posts were mostly on the same page. Quote them and copy/paste what comes up in the reply window. It's a little slow for complex stuff but it works very well and is pretty much foolproof. 

Reply #4 - June 30, 2009, 05:35 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiXklnXFuA4

Makes line-by-line replies to the last post in the thread more difficult.

fuck you
     Reply #5 - June 30, 2009, 05:53 AM

No it doesn't, because you can't do those just by hitting the quote button anyway. Tongue

Reply #6 - June 30, 2009, 05:57 AM

I just quote the whole thing, then add additional tags as necessary.

Change is bad, os.

fuck you
     Reply #7 - June 30, 2009, 06:00 AM

So you can still do that anyway. No problem. The one certainty is change, grasshopper. Plus if it pisses the Yanks off it has to be good.

Reply #8 - June 30, 2009, 06:23 AM

...... Just open as many tabs...... Quote them and copy/paste..... 

Yep that's what I've been doing!!!

Reply #9 - June 30, 2009, 07:31 AM

Q-Man think about it this way...

If the COEM forum is the universe, then Osmanthus is God and maybe Berbs (PBUH) is the Apostle!

And God usually works in a mysterious way. If God wants to experiment with the universe!! There is nothing we can do about it, but say AlhamdulilOsmanthus.....  If God says pray 5 times, no one would notice if you skip three of them! Pray two times only! AstaghfurulOsmanthus!

just kidding! Cheesy

Reply #10 - June 30, 2009, 08:41 AM

Cheesy (You missed Caliph Cheetahthman)

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #11 - June 30, 2009, 08:47 AM

Burbles is like the other prophet. You're supposed to love her more than Allah. Grin

Reply #12 - June 30, 2009, 09:03 AM

Hey guys, wotcha think of this setup?

Reply #13 - June 30, 2009, 09:08 AM

Whatever you say Osmanthullah, you know best.  Where I disagree, is a limitation in my understanding, and I will gain more knowledge spending more time here.   worship

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #14 - June 30, 2009, 09:10 AM

Roll Eyes  Tongue  Worse than bloody Muslims you lot.  parrot

Reply #15 - June 30, 2009, 09:41 AM

I like that new set-up. I also think you should allow posts to be edited at all times rather then us seeking permission if we want to edit an old post. Why is our editing power limited anyway?
     Reply #16 - June 30, 2009, 09:43 AM

Yeah I already changed that. You can go for it anytime you like. Only reason we had it to start with was because we had a nutter and wanted a record of things if disputes arose. Nutter is long gone and it seems superfluous now.

Reply #17 - June 30, 2009, 09:45 AM

It looks good - when you hoping to go live?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #18 - June 30, 2009, 09:48 AM

Could sort it pretty fast. Biggest drama is adding a couple of classes to all the css files for every theme (and every variation of the multi themes) but even that isn't difficult. Just means a few files to do. Might have a coffee and a bite to eat and hit it.

Reply #19 - June 30, 2009, 11:46 AM

Meh. Need sleep tonight but I downloaded all the files. I'll knock it over tomorrow night or sumpin.

Reply #20 - June 30, 2009, 12:58 PM

Whatever you say Osmanthullah, you know best.  Where I disagree, is a limitation in my understanding, and I will gain more knowledge spending more time here.   worship

AstaghfurulOsmanthus!
    AstaghfurulOsmanthus!
    AstaghfurulOsmanthus!
    AstaghfurulOsmanthus!
    AstaghfurulOsmanthus!
    AstaghfurulOsmanthus!
    AstaghfurulOsmanthus!
    AstaghfurulOsmanthus!
    AstaghfurulOsmanthus!
    AstaghfurulOsmanthus!

If you say this 30 times every day for 30 days, all your wish in your COEM life will InshallOsmanthus be granted! Cheesy

Reply #21 - June 30, 2009, 01:25 PM

I will now demonstrate proper usage of the quote function.  parrot

Feedback is welcome.  thnkyu

What happens if one or more people reply at the same time as you and so it seems you are responding to a totally different post?
     Reply #22 - June 30, 2009, 01:28 PM

Makes line-by-line replies to the last post in the thread more difficult.

And that!
     Reply #23 - June 30, 2009, 09:01 PM

You can put the quote in then. This is an experiment to see what is the least annoying option when all things are considered. Most of the time people don't do line by line replies and they aren't trying to compete with other people for priority, but they hit the quote button regardless. It's just human nature, but it does lead to a lot of crap cluttering the place up.

ETA: A prime example (and excuse me guys for pointing this out but...) was the thread I quoted posts from in the OP. Z and Islame were chatting and noticed the quote button was missing from the last post. Nobody else was butting in and they weren't doing line by line replies to each other, but because of Pavlov dog conditioning ( Wink ) they reached for the quote button like addicts reaching for a needle, even to the point of using the options on the full reply page to manually insert quotes when they were completely unnecessary. I'm trying to wean people off this habit by use of totalitarian social engineering so that the forum will be cleaner and easier for everyone to read, because I have to read a lot of it every day and the excess stuff I have to wade through is driving me up the wall. I mean seriously, the number of times I have seen people quote an entire article just to post a one line response..... *mutters into beard grumpily*....       

So rather than bitching and grumping about it I thought the sensible option would be to make a slight alteration to the template that will hopefully prompt people to consider their options. I know it is just human nature to thump a button when you may well have umpteen other things on your plate to deal with but I thought this was worth trying.

Reply #24 - June 30, 2009, 10:55 PM

Anyway the new template is in place now so try it out for a while and we'll see how it goes. Regardless of whether the quote button stays missing from the last post the new arrangement of the edit and quote buttons should eliminate some errors, and having a link to the full reply options in every post should be handy too.

If the display looks at all funny I suggest clearing your browser cache. You should only need to do it once.

Reply #25 - June 30, 2009, 11:00 PM

Afro so far

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #26 - July 01, 2009, 06:50 AM

OsmantusAkbar!... OsmantusGreat!...

Osmantus willing we will spread the COEM through out the 7 cyberspaces. Ameen!
    And inshallOsmantus we will be the fastest growing Forum as I had a vision that many infidels from other forums will become COEMists!

Cheesy

Reply #27 - July 01, 2009, 06:57 AM

I'm starting to get worried about you guys. Next thing you know you'll be declaring jihad.

Reply #28 - July 01, 2009, 07:54 AM

I'm starting to get worried about you guys. Next thing you know you'll be declaring jihad.

Who would you like us to declare Jihad on?

P.S Sorry for committing shirk by quoting the last post - the Armoured Baguette shaytaan told me to do so in my ears this morning - how shall I repent?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #29 - July 01, 2009, 08:09 AM

Can we 'ave a jihad on Paris Hilton then? Just for a sort of warm up exercise.  parrot

• 12 3 ... 6 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »