Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 06:51 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 28, 2024, 06:41 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 27, 2024, 01:26 PM

New Britain
April 27, 2024, 08:42 AM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 02:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 05:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 08:53 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: What do you think of the Burkini?

(Read 3421 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • What do you think of the Burkini?
     OP - May 21, 2009, 08:47 AM

The Burkini is an Islamic swimsuit, made of the same fabric as regular swimsuits, but it covers everything apart from the face & hands.

This is a site which sells burkinis online. I saw these burkinis being sold when I went to Malaysia, actually what I dislike are these little burkinis for little girls-I saw burkinis in rather small sizes, which can be worn by even 4-7 year old girls being sold there. I guess it'll be uncomfortable to learn to swim wearing those-but thats' just my personal opinion.

World renowned historian Will Durant"...the Islamic conquest of India is probably the bloodiest story in history. It is a discouraging tale, for its evident moral is that civilization is a precious good, whose delicate complex order and freedom can at any moment be overthrown..."
  • Re: What do you think of the Burkini?
     Reply #1 - May 21, 2009, 08:52 AM

they look like seals

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #2 - May 21, 2009, 01:42 PM

Anything that allows Muslim women and girls to experience some of the things everyone else takes for granted, I am for it.  Having actually been one, I can tell you that when you taste these things, even though it be 'Islamised', it actually gives you more of a longing and a curiosity for what 'they' (normal people) are doing.  Besides, if there is one thing that Muslim women need, it is greater access to fitness activities, and if it has to be in hijab, so be it.

With so much else going on in the world today, I find it hard to muster outrage over a bathing suit like this for a 6 yr old girl.  As a parent, I personally find that many of the clothes, including swimwear, sold for girls in the 4-14 range are very inappropriate.  I used to get some of my daughter's shorts and tees for summer from the boys' departments, because even in size 6, it's all spaghetti straps and booty shorts.  I would like to see more modest, age appropriate clothing for young girls. 

Besides, a lot of non Muslim parents buy such suits for their daughters for UV purposes - a lot of Muslimahs buy UV swimsuits - which are pretty much the same - for themselves too.  If the suit was being sold as a means of promoting sun safety and preventing skin cancer, would it even be newsworthy? 

(answer - no, b/c there are tons of such suits on the market and they don't get stories in Time magazine and the rest of this fuss). 

[this space for rent]
     Reply #3 - May 21, 2009, 01:50 PM

With so much else going on in the world today, I find it hard to muster outrage over a bathing suit like this for a 6 yr old girl.  As a parent, I personally find that many of the clothes, including swimwear, sold for girls in the 4-14 range are very inappropriate.  I used to get some of my daughter's shorts and tees for summer from the boys' departments, because even in size 6, it's all spaghetti straps and booty shorts.  I would like to see more modest, age appropriate clothing for young girls. 

I personally am not outraged at all although it might be a bit uncomfortable & you're right about some inappropriate swimwear for little girls.

I would prefer something in between mini burkinis & sexed up little swimsuits, my own swimsuits were like that & still are like that.

Having said that, its not a very important issue anyway. Smiley

World renowned historian Will Durant"...the Islamic conquest of India is probably the bloodiest story in history. It is a discouraging tale, for its evident moral is that civilization is a precious good, whose delicate complex order and freedom can at any moment be overthrown..."
     Reply #4 - May 22, 2009, 09:06 AM

Huh?

Thats it? Thats how the Muslim paradise Pikini girls will look like when Islam rules the world?!

okay, im outta here!

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves." - from Goethes Faust
    "Only the wisest and the stupidest men never change." - Confuzios
    "there is no religion of peace, only people who are peaceful while being religious."
     Reply #5 - May 22, 2009, 09:11 AM

I cant wait for the first muslim woman bikini contest Cheesy
     Reply #6 - May 27, 2009, 07:51 PM

You work your ass off the whole year, you finally can afford the rent of that nice vacation house in Spain on the beach, you get there and you see "them" sitting right in front of your nice view...

I wonder if I'd be expelled from my local swimming pool if I decided to go for a swim in a chicken costume...

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ExMuslims
    Council of Ex-Muslims of the Netherlands will be back!

Never doubt that a small group of commited people can change te world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. -Margaret Mead
     Reply #7 - May 28, 2009, 12:51 AM

I cant wait for the first muslim woman bikini contest Cheesy

Seems your wish has been granted Peru, only its not a bikini contest!  dance

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia : Sukaina al-Zayer is an unlikely beauty queen hopeful. She covers her face and body in black robes and an Islamic veil, so no one can tell what she looks like. She also admits she's a little on the plump side.

But at Saudi Arabia's only beauty pageant, the judges don't care about a perfect figure or face. What they're looking for in the quest for "Miss Beautiful Morals" is the contestant who shows the most devotion and respect for her parents.
    "The idea of the pageant is to measure the contestants' commitment to Islamic morals... It's an alternative to the calls for decadence in the other beauty contests that only take into account a woman's body and looks," said pageant founder Khadra al-Mubarak.

"The winner won't necessarily be pretty," she added. "We care about the beauty of the soul and the morals."

So after the pageant opens Saturday, the nearly 200 contestants will spend the next 10 weeks attending classes and being quizzed on themes
    including "Discovering your inner strength," "The making of leaders" and "Mom, paradise is at your feet" ? a saying attributed to Islam's Prophet Muhammad to underline that respect for parents is among the faith's most important tenets.

Pageant hopefuls will also spend a day at a country house with their mothers, where they will be observed by female judges and graded on how they interact with their mothers, al-Mubarak said. Since the pageant is not televised and no men are involved, contestants can take off the veils and black figure-hiding abayas they always wear in public.
    The Miss Beautiful Morals pageant is the latest example of conservative Muslims co-opting Western-style formats to spread their message in the face of the onslaught of foreign influences flooding the region through the Internet and satellite television.
    A newly created Islamic music channel owned by an Egyptian businessman aired an "American Idol"-style contest for religious-themed singers this month. And several Muslim preachers have become talk-show celebrities by adopting an informal, almost Oprah-like television style, in contrast to the solemn clerics who traditionally appear in the media.

Now in its second year, the number of pageant contestants has nearly tripled from the 75 women who participated in 2008. The pageant is open to women between 15 and 25. The winner and two runners up will be announced in July, with the queen taking home $2,600 and other prizes. The runners up get $1,300 each.

Last year's winner, Zahra al-Shurafa, said the contest gives an incentive to young women and teens to show more consideration toward their parents.
    "I tell this year's contestants that winning is not important," said al-Shurafa, a 21-year-old English major. "What is important is obeying your parents."

There are few beauty pageants in the largely conservative Arab world. The most dazzling is in Lebanon, the region's most liberal country, where contestants appear on TV in one-piece swimsuits and glamorous evening gowns and answer questions that test their confidence and general knowledge.

There are no such displays in ultra-strict Saudi Arabia, where until Miss Beautiful Morals was inaugurated last year, the only pageants were for goats, sheep, camels and other animals, aimed at encouraging livestock breeding.

This year's event kicks off Saturday in the mainly Shiite Muslim town of Safwa, and mostly draws local Shiite contestants. But it's open to anyone ? and this year, 15 Sunni Muslims are participating, al-Mubarak said. "This is a beautiful thing," she added.

There have long been tensions between the two sects in the kingdom. Hard-liners in the Sunni majority consider Shiites infidels, and the Shiites often complain of discrimination and greater levels of poverty.

Al-Zayer, a 24-year-old international management student, said she signed up because she is the "spitting image" of her mother. "I'm proud of my devotion to my parents," she said.

What does she think of Lebanon's beauty contests?
    "It's a matter of cultural differences," she said. "In Saudi Arabia, they are Islamically unacceptable."

Awsaf al-Mislim, another contestant, said if she does not win the crown, she will have won something more important.

"I will be proud to show everyone that I competed with the others over my devotion to my parents," the 24-year-old said.

Even Saudi jumped onto the bandwagon of  pageants, it seems, unfortunately I can't see Niqabi beauty queens who don't even show their faces becoming very popular elsewhere! queen_not_drag

Reply #8 - May 28, 2009, 03:18 AM

Anything that allows Muslim women and girls to experience some of the things everyone else takes for granted, I am for it.  Having actually been one, I can tell you that when you taste these things, even though it be 'Islamised', it actually gives you more of a longing and a curiosity for what 'they' (normal people) are doing.  Besides, if there is one thing that Muslim women need, it is greater access to fitness activities, and if it has to be in hijab, so be it.

With so much else going on in the world today, I find it hard to muster outrage over a bathing suit like this for a 6 yr old girl.  As a parent, I personally find that many of the clothes, including swimwear, sold for girls in the 4-14 range are very inappropriate.  I used to get some of my daughter's shorts and tees for summer from the boys' departments, because even in size 6, it's all spaghetti straps and booty shorts.  I would like to see more modest, age appropriate clothing for young girls.  

Besides, a lot of non Muslim parents buy such suits for their daughters for UV purposes - a lot of Muslimahs buy UV swimsuits - which are pretty much the same - for themselves too.  If the suit was being sold as a means of promoting sun safety and preventing skin cancer, would it even be newsworthy?  

(answer - no, b/c there are tons of such suits on the market and they don't get stories in Time magazine and the rest of this fuss).  

Yes, I totally agree with all you said above, Fading.  Afro

We should be supportive of those Muslims who seek to modernise/liberalise their societies - even if they are only small steps forward. Most Muslim men won't allow their wives and daughters to bathe on a mixed beach. This swimsuit will allow many of those women to get round that ban. So I think that's a good thing.
     Reply #9 - May 28, 2009, 03:43 AM

Rashna, you had a whole thread about that article recently. There's no need to post it again. Just link to the existing thread. Kthnx.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #10 - May 28, 2009, 03:45 AM

Rashna, you had a whole thread about that article recently. There's no need to post it again. Just link to the existing thread. Kthnx.

About the Miss Morals Pageant? Where please?  Roll Eyes

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »