Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 28, 2024, 06:41 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 27, 2024, 01:26 PM

New Britain
April 27, 2024, 08:42 AM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 02:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 12:17 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 05:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 08:53 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: Hi.

(Read 19634 times)
  • Previous page 1 23 4 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Hi.
     Reply #30 - May 31, 2009, 07:44 PM

Oh, thats it, my family are uneducated villagers. The upper generation at least. They really are super devout believers - my mum believes that some Hindu priest in India cured blindness, they air that shit and lots of other religious garbage on Indian TV channels in the UK.

We keep hearing about how Jack Straw or the French government have mentioned the veil and our doing so puts us in the same boat as them. How so? I want a ban on the burka, neqab and child veiling.

you can either defend women or you must defend Islam. You can’t defend both

- Maryam Namaze
     Reply #31 - May 31, 2009, 07:56 PM

Oh, thats it, my family are uneducated villagers.

Its not their fault, like you say they are uneducated so they dont have the critical evaluation skills to see the wood through the trees.  They have raised you to be able to see through it, so they cant be that bad.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #32 - May 31, 2009, 08:31 PM

And now ...

(Clicky for piccy!)

Ah, so you are happy cat, I see. If anyone else wants to know which lolcat they are, they can take this test:

http://www.okcupid.com/tests/the-which-lolcat-are-you-test

The result I got was Ceiling Cat:

This test is crazy accurate

fuck you
     Reply #33 - May 31, 2009, 08:39 PM

I'm Cookie Cat...

You are the classic Shakespearian tragedy of the lolcat universe. The sad story of a baking a cookie, succumbing to gluttony, and in turn consuming the very cookie that was to be offered. Bad grammar ensues.

dance

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #34 - May 31, 2009, 08:45 PM

I'm Cookie Cat...

(Clicky for piccy!)

dance

See, I told you it was accurate. Just replace "cookie" with "lasagna"

fuck you
     Reply #35 - May 31, 2009, 08:47 PM

It's not that they're bad, it is that they're bigots. They are good people, but consumed by the illness that is religion.

They have strong prejudice and intolerance towards non hindus / indians, everytime I say or do something that disagrees with their lifestyle, I get called a goroh, usually - 'What do you think you are, a goroh?', or sometimes a 'Nastik', which I dont know the meaning of, but I think it is either sinner or blasphemor. They disaprove of any non Indian company - Muslims, whites and blacks, and think that I have to be doing, or shouldnt be doing certain things that are or arent Indian.  

This is all mostly in the past, and they are now over it, but I find that I have to avoid conversation with my family, including relatives because they are mostly all the same and it is too uncomfortable talking to them and they hardly ever understand a single thing. There is too large a cultural barrier between us. I dont want any hindu culture or beliefs in my life, and they want it all.

I unfortunately have grown to have very little respect for my family or their culture, and am very distanced and seperated from them.

We keep hearing about how Jack Straw or the French government have mentioned the veil and our doing so puts us in the same boat as them. How so? I want a ban on the burka, neqab and child veiling.

- Maryam Namaze
     Reply #36 - June 01, 2009, 12:21 AM

Any of you guys speak Kannada fluently or conversationally?

I speak Kannada though I never learnt to read and write in it. Am a Kannadiga actually.

Ex-Hindu.

Touching the feet of elders is just the indian custom showing respect to elders. The Japanese bow, westerners shake hands and Hindus touch feet. Its customary. We touch the feet of elders and simply say namaste to those of our age or younger. All traditions of Hinduism are not bad/evil

It is better to remain quiet and have people think that you are an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt.
     Reply #37 - June 01, 2009, 01:55 AM

I dislike all religions, and like to make fun of them all :p. 

I believe my family to be extremist hindus then, if those exist. My mother actually sits and and fills book after book after book of prayer lines, as well as praying to her little shrine thing as much as muslims do.

She definately believes in the elephant headed man, oh, and she spends several days at a time with her friends making poppadoms (seriously, who does this anymore?).

When they talk to each other, it seriously sounds like a mob of shrieking witches :(.

I dont celebrate any religious festivals anymore, not even Christmas. 

We were raised to actually get on our knees and worship older people, not just touch their smelly feet :x. 

I refuse to do that anymore and my mother gets upset by me not kneeling to my elders.

Ex-Hindu,
    Doing worship to their diety do not make people extremist. In that case, billions of people on this earth are extremists.

Again, racism is sad part in South Asia. Many people think all the westerners are bad, that includes Pakistanis and Bangladeshis. Again, Hinduism does not teach ot hate Westerners or any people.

Plus, what has making poppadam have to do with extreme Hinduism?

In south Asia (take any country), volume and pitch of speaking is higher than Western countries. Till your mum is happy speaking with her group, why do you have to bother? Again, where does Hinduism come in picture? 

Again, I am not telling you to go back to Hinduism. You have left Hinduism and you are satisfied, good for you. So am I. But, just differentiate between lifestyle and religion, they are different.
     Reply #38 - June 01, 2009, 04:40 AM

@ idolator,

I definitely agree with you regarding something um peculiar(fishy?) about this guy's testimony-I'm not a Hindu but a Zoroastrian but of course, living in India I know many Hindus. Being traumatized & leaving due to an elephant headed god's story sounds very like being traumatized by European cultures due to Sleeping Beauty sleeping a 100 years stories!  Wink Hindus worship not only these traditional god\s but very often have shrines to Jesus, Mary, Buddha as well & of course, visit Sufi dargahs with as much frequency as Muslims.They believe in all this & more at the same time. If Jesus criticized Judaism, he gets crucified, if Buddha does the same, he gets remade into a god. These reasons are  peculiar enough, but most peculiar are respecting elders by pranam,  garba & dandiya, I've met few who haven't had a great time at dandiyas, even foreigners!

Its like hating Christianity due to ballroom dancing or complaining about Western Christians greeting women by kissing their hands! idiot2

No wonder you seem to find this odd, I do as well!  grin12

If someone told me they were quitting Zoroastrianism due to poor food at Mumbai's Parsi restaurants, I'd be very baffled too!  Tongue

'Nastik', which I dont know the meaning of, but I think it is either sinner or blasphemor.

As for not knowing what nastik means after narrating his sob story about all things he finds bothersome, its like not knowing what atheist means after being troubled by one's fundie U.S. Christian family. Leaving aside his problems with theology & matters of etiquette, or even dislike of dance forms, he seems to have big problems with vocabulary, which is the strangest thing- I'd be immediately suspicious of anyone who claims to not know the meaning of atheist after having left Christianity in any English speaking Western family!  Roll Eyes

It'd immediately switch on my bullshit detector.

Anyway, I'm going to spend less time here because I have loads to study .  Smiley

World renowned historian Will Durant"...the Islamic conquest of India is probably the bloodiest story in history. It is a discouraging tale, for its evident moral is that civilization is a precious good, whose delicate complex order and freedom can at any moment be overthrown..."
     Reply #39 - June 01, 2009, 05:03 AM

The result I got was Ceiling Cat:

(Clicky for piccy!)

This test is crazy accurate

Same here lol.  Cheesy

And a belated welcome to the nuthouse, please hand over all dangerous items of clothing to the staff on your way to your cell.  parrot

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #40 - June 01, 2009, 05:41 AM

Rashna, the Ganesh and Garba references were jokes.

The joke was meant to be about teaching children stories where heads are chopped off. I did not find it traumatising, but it was a joke meaning to reflect that if your father had actually chopped your head off, well, you would be more than traumatised =D.

I left hinduism for no reason other then that it is all pure bullshit to me.

But anyhow - sleeping beauty does not include stories of fathers chopping their sons heads off, and Garba is just plain boring and uninteresting to me.

I am not intending to be serious in my jokes, I left the idea of belief systems because to me they are all bullshit, and also I do not know what every word in Gujerati means.

If Nastik does just mean athiest, then I now know that my mother spent a few days in disgust because I am an athiest. It was the only time in my life I have ever heard the word spoken by anyone, it is the same thing as being called a kuffar right?

I sure know many people who would find being called kuffar offensive.

- Maryam Namaze
     Reply #41 - June 01, 2009, 05:56 AM

Ex-Hindu,
    Nastik simply means Athiest. In the modern time it may have negative meaning.
    Around 2500 yrs ago (at the time of Buddha ), India had number of religious traditions, broadlyt classified in two categories Astik(believer in God) 0r Nastik(Atheist).
    So Mahavira (Jain Prophet) stated that he is a Nastik with no negative meaning attached.

Only one difference between Kuffar and Nastik is, Hinduism does not say Nastik will burn hell for ever and Astik will go to paradise. What is important is how they behaved than what they believed.

Reply #42 - June 01, 2009, 06:01 AM

Hmmm, still fishy ,doth protest too much?  Thinking hard

bullshit, and also I do not know what every word in Gujerati means.

If Nastik does just mean athiest, then I now know that my mother spent a few days in disgust because I am an athiest. It was the only time in my life I have ever heard the word spoken by anyone, it is the same thing as being called a kuffar right?

I sure know many people who would find being called kuffar offensive.

Btw, its not really called Gujerati, as I've seen you call it more than once, re here:

(Ganpati in gujerati)

Its called Gujarati, considering that the rest of your English is perfect, & you are a Gujarati  Thinking hard again... Wink

Kuffar & nastik are definitely not the same, nastik means atheist, kuffar or kafir means non Muslim-the concerned kuffar might believe in any God whatsoever, they're still kuffar.

Atheist Hindu philisophical schools of thought like the Charvakas are nastik, Jews are astik-all non Muslim faiths are kuffar to Muslims- nastik need not be an offensive term at all, Jain philosophy is nastik, Charvakas are nastik.  Wink

Kuffar is offensive-according to Islam, kuffars have to pay jizya in this life & burn in Hell in the hereafter.

sometimes a 'Nastik'

Sometimes?  Huh?

It was the only time in my life I have ever heard the word spoken by anyone.

Only time?  Huh?

Whatever...

World renowned historian Will Durant"...the Islamic conquest of India is probably the bloodiest story in history. It is a discouraging tale, for its evident moral is that civilization is a precious good, whose delicate complex order and freedom can at any moment be overthrown..."
     Reply #43 - June 01, 2009, 06:06 AM

Yes, Rashna remimded a good point. A Hindu can also be a Nastik, it is not necessary for a Hindu to believe in a Supreme God.

Mimansa philosophy (prior to Vedantic one) is a Nastik philosophy.
     Reply #44 - June 01, 2009, 06:39 AM

Ok. I still find being called either a Goroh or a Desi by other Indians offensive.

Both those words are used many times. Yes I have only heard Nastik once, but in the context in which it was used, I group it together with these two words as well.

So being called an Atheist isnt offensive, but I do oppose being called 'white' or 'indian immigrant' regardless of what context the words are used in.

The thing is with Desi, is that Indian people here actually enjoy calling each other and themselves that word, so it just gets thrown around carelessy without people actually realising its racial meaning.

People have also told me before that being called a 'Desi' is not racist or offensive to Indians, but seriously, the word means 'Indian Immigrant' and to me it sounds more insulting then any swear word does.   

- Maryam Namaze
     Reply #45 - June 01, 2009, 06:41 AM

People have also told me before that being called a 'Desi' is not racist or offensive to Indians, but seriously, the word means 'Indian Immigrant' and to me it sounds more insulting then any swear word does.   

No, 'Desi' means villager

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #46 - June 01, 2009, 06:51 AM

Hi Ex-Hindu,
    I am with you that I find all such terms like Gorah, Paki, N**** offensive.  Many south-asians are racist towards others and they just label people nbased on where they come from rather than what they are. Indian culture can be racist and sexist at times. I agree. But, again no Hindu books suggest the use of these words. 

So, I would suggest that get yourself informed about distinction between
    1. Hinduism and Hindu behaviour
    2. Hinduism and Indian culture.
    3. Hinduism and general human fallacies pervalent in all most all the cultures.

It is better to be informed before criticizing something for what something is not. Otherwise, it makes the argument baseless.
     Reply #47 - June 01, 2009, 06:53 AM

No it doesnt, Desi means an Indian decendant living in a foreign country, you will find this definition all across the internet.  

I would find it hard to believe that the whole 'Desi' culture and scene in the UK is refering to 'villagers', wikipedia has a good article on the word, as well as an article titled 'The racism in desism'. I will post links when I can.

- Maryam Namaze
     Reply #48 - June 01, 2009, 07:00 AM

Hi Ex-Hindu,
    I am with you that I find all such terms like Gorah, Paki, N**** offensive.  Many south-asians are racist towards others and they just label people nbased on where they come from rather than what they are. Indian culture can be racist and sexist at times. I agree. But, again no Hindu books suggest the use of these words.  

So, I would suggest that get yourself informed about distinction between
    1. Hinduism and Hindu behaviour
    2. Hinduism and Indian culture.
    3. Hinduism and general human fallacies pervalent in all most all the cultures.

It is better to be informed before criticizing something for what something is not. Otherwise, it makes the argument baseless.

Yes I know about those differences, hence why my earlier posts did not make references to the words.

I have developed a dislike for both hinduism and indian culture as seperate things, I do not like being a part of or involved in either one of them.

But I do believe that most cultures are derived from religion as they share many of the same beliefs.
    I believe that I have heard just about everyone of my relatives use the words gorah and kallah, including older people who would often tell me not to talk to either, and then they want me to respect them and touch their feet  Huh?

It was all very confusing for me and I never accepted or believed in either the religion or the culture in which I were raised.

- Maryam Namaze
     Reply #49 - June 01, 2009, 07:03 AM

No it doesnt, Desi means an Indian decendant living in a foreign country, you will find this definition all across the internet.  

I would find it hard to believe that the whole 'Desi' culture and scene in the UK is refering to 'villagers', wikipedia has a good article on the word, as well as an article titled 'The racism in desism'. I will post links when I can.

Ok. I still find being called either a Goroh or a Desi by other Indians offensive.

Both those words are used many times. Yes I have only heard Nastik once, but in the context in which it was used, I group it together with these two words as well.

So being called an Atheist isnt offensive, but I do oppose being called 'white' or 'indian immigrant' regardless of what context the words are used in.

The thing is with Desi, is that Indian people here actually enjoy calling each other and themselves that word, so it just gets thrown around carelessy without people actually realising its racial meaning.

You seriously need to increase your knowledge, as Calm pointed out, no word is offensive unless used in an offensive way or unless there is offense hidden in people's thoughts.  If a word is thrown around without realising its racial meaning, means that there really isn't a racial meaning for those who use that word.

Considering you find hidden offenses in the way people talk & in greeting with foot touching, its obvious that you'd find hidden offense when none is intended.

Btw, your hint at wikipedia again puts on my bullshit detector, did you find all your baseless criticisms from there?

Loads of stuff you say brings on my bullshit detector, I'm Gujarati as well, although I'm Parsee-the words, stuff you find offensive & so on... signmuahaha

Reply #50 - June 01, 2009, 07:06 AM

Desi means somewhere between the 2, I guess:

desi Indian English Adjective : indigenous or local
    Noun informal : a person considered to be of South Asian origin [Hindi] (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/desi)

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #51 - June 01, 2009, 07:07 AM

Yes ExHindu,
    It is perfectly alright to dislike both, Hinduism and Indian Culture. I am not questioning legitimacy of your opinion. Just take care that you criticize the right one.

Reply #52 - June 01, 2009, 07:17 AM

Yes I know about those differences, hence why my earlier posts did not make references to the words.

I have developed a dislike for both hinduism and indian culture as seperate things, I do not like being a part of or involved in either one of them.

But I do believe that most cultures are derived from religion as they share many of the same beliefs.
    I believe that I have heard just about everyone of my relatives use the words gorah and kallah, including older people who would often tell me not to talk to either, and then they want me to respect them and touch their feet  Huh?

It was all very confusing for me and I never accepted or believed in either the religion or the culture in which I were raised.

Again, if, & a very big if, you are really a Gujarati, I too as I said am a Gujarati. I am a Parsee, a Zoroastrian, your very offensive ancestors first gave shelter to my ancestors. My ancestors were from Iran, Persia, right after the Islamic conquest of Iran, they fled, hoping to find shelter in a country where they could without religious restrictions, their ship landed in India, the Hindu King of India gave shelter to my ancestors, he also gave them land & an opportunity to earn a livelihood-thats' how we Parsees lived here. In the millennia & a half that we have been in India, there has been not a single instance of discrimination against us by Hindus, & we spent all these years in the state from where you claim to hail. The Parsees are the most prosperous communities in India, many of India's topmost entrepreneurs are Parsees, yet there has been no discrimination from the equally business minded Gujaratis.

Gujarat also has many synagogues, I have visited the synagogue in Ahmedabad-there are Jews in the state who have been there for the last 2000 years-again they have encountered not a single instance of trouble, also there are millions of Bangladeshi illegal immigrants residing in India currently, no trouble.

I must mention here that I look very like a Goroh like many Parsees do, we're also pretty Westernized in our cultural outlook-yet never have we been at the receiving end of any racism from other Gujaratis & I know an Indian Jewish person from Gujarat who had the same thing to say.

Yes, culture is influenced by religion, but also by many other factors-India was under non Hindu rule for a millennia, the purely Hindu\Buddhist past died a long time ago.

Also, for millennia, from the 4th century A.D. to the 12th century A.D., India had the famous multiethnic University of Nalanda, foreign scholars from China, Japan, Tibet, Korea & Indochina would come to study, how big xenophobes could India have been to welcome those students for a millennia(Islamic invaders finally razed the University to the ground) & how racist is your Gujarat where the Zoroastrians found asylum & freedom to practice their faith for the last millennia & a half, & where Jews stayed for the last two millennia?

Reply #53 - June 01, 2009, 07:35 AM

I believe that all words used with the intent of separating people into groups are offensive. Rashna, as you said, you do not understand the context in which the words were used to me either, so who made you the judge over whether I should have been offended or not when those words were spoken? First you say that Nastik is not an offensive word, but then you imply that it can be if used in an offensive context right? So you are contradicting yourself more then I am for simply saying what has been said to me, and yes the words I have mentioned were used to me in offensive contexts, but you can never determine the spoken context from someone else typing what was said.

And I never said I am offended by touching peoples feet, it is simply disgusting for me to have to do it or to kneel in front of another person.

What exactly is the bullshit in someone saying what they have experienced? Again, who made you or anyone else the judge over what I say, or how I should feel about it?   

British Indian culture is very very different to the culture found in Gujerat and India itself, a lot of people who move to the UK are for some wierd reason very isolated and refuse to mix with other races, which is what my family and Indian society is like. 

Do you actually live in Bradford? Or east London? Or anywhere else in the UK where racial tension is very problematic? Just because you are also Gujerati does not give you an automatic insight into what every other Gujerati person is like, and I am not speaking about every Gujerati person either, so do not feel that I am in any way trying to describe you or anyone else from Gujarat because I am not.

- Maryam Namaze
     Reply #54 - June 01, 2009, 07:43 AM

I do not live in Gujarat, nor do I know a thing about the place or its history, I am a Gujerati decendant living in Bradford, one of the worst places in Britain for racism and tension between people of different races. I have experienced that tension myself, and also Indian people who try desperately to cling onto their culture and religion, and have a dislike for people like me who want to leave that religion or culture - we get compared to the 'Gorah' meaning the British people who live here, but in a very negative and hateful way.

I have brown skin and do not look white at all, I just get called Goroh because I am westernised and 'british acting' to my parents and family who to me are mostly very traditional, religious and backwards.

- Maryam Namaze
     Reply #55 - June 01, 2009, 08:06 AM

So you think your parents are backward people who see the British in a heateful and negative way?

Do you know why they came to live in Britain in the first place?

Knowing Islam is the only true religion we do not allow propagation of any other religion. How can we allow building of churches and temples when their religion is wrong? Thus we will not allow such wrong things in our countries. - Zakir Naik
     Reply #56 - June 01, 2009, 08:12 AM

So you think your parents are backward people who see the British in a heateful and negative way?

Do you know why they came to live in Britain in the first place?

I think if you dug beneath the surface of what they say, you might come to the conclusion that it is merely a form of a control & protectionism.  The might just say these things, to prevent you from becoming too alienated from them and seeing them as backward people.  Sadly it has not worked.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #57 - June 01, 2009, 09:35 AM

I speak Kannada though I never learnt to read and write in it. Am a Kannadiga actually.

Okay, excellent. When I was a kid, there was this half-Indian kid who told us "tardoo/tardu" meant "dick and balls" in Kannada. However, he was known to make lots of shit up. Is that a real word and does it really mean that? Thanks.

fuck you
     Reply #58 - June 01, 2009, 10:35 AM

I believe that all words used with the intent of separating people into groups are offensive. Rashna, as you said, you do not understand the context in which the words were used to me either, so who made you the judge over whether I should have been offended or not when those words were spoken? First you say that Nastik is not an offensive word, but then you imply that it can be if used in an offensive context right? So you are contradicting yourself more then I am for simply saying what has been said to me, and yes the words I have mentioned were used to me in offensive contexts, but you can never determine the spoken context from someone else typing what was said.

And I never said I am offended by touching peoples feet, it is simply disgusting for me to have to do it or to kneel in front of another person.

What exactly is the bullshit in someone saying what they have experienced? Again, who made you or anyone else the judge over what I say, or how I should feel about it?   

British Indian culture is very very different to the culture found in Gujerat and India itself, a lot of people who move to the UK are for some wierd reason very isolated and refuse to mix with other races, which is what my family and Indian society is like. 

Do you actually live in Bradford? Or east London? Or anywhere else in the UK where racial tension is very problematic? Just because you are also Gujerati does not give you an automatic insight into what every other Gujerati person is like, and I am not speaking about every Gujerati person either, so do not feel that I am in any way trying to describe you or anyone else from Gujarat because I am not.

Again, if racial tension is a problem or an area is not particularly safe, then parents are bound to tell their kids to be cautious-this has nothing whatsoever to do with religion or culture, also all people want to transmit their culture to their kids, again this has nothing whatsoever to do with either religion or cultural specifics. You narrate a very peculiar story.

If a White American after living in Saudi Arabia refused to have anything more to do with either churches or with Hollywood movies or went as far as refusing to shake hands or wave & greeted people with only a strict "Assalamu Alaikum", obviously their parents & relatives are going to be somewhat upset, they will urge their child to at least shake hands with their close relatives even if the relatives' palm is sometimes sweaty & even if the child finds it disgusting!  Wink

Most kids would do that much for their parents, without beginning to find the American culture horrendous or disgusting as a result, even if they happen to prefer Assalamu Alaikum as a form of greeting!

As you yourself have mentioned, you faced no overt problems from your parents except a few words which you found unpleasant.

Yes, when people leave their country, they want to hold onto their culture even more keenly, nothing very wrong with that-that doesn't automatically make them nasty bigots. When Italians or Irish first landed in America, they held on to their culture exactly in the same way, thats' basic human nature rather than a horrendous perversion or ugly racism of any sort. One defines oneself by one's surroundings- in a room of 60+ people, I'll immediately think of myself as a teen & prefer a teen's company rather than older people's company, in a room of Indian men, I'll automatically think of myself as a woman, in a room of White men, as a woman & an Asian brown woman-this is a fact of human nature. If my baby sister refused to play with kids her age & only liked adults' company, I'll encourage her to play with other kids coz I'd think thats' better for her, parents too think that in a foreign country & as a minority, kids will (hopefully) retain the parents language, culture & even might be safer mixing with other kids of a similar background.

Even after people have lived in a nation for years, this is visible to a greater or lesser extent- Jews in U.S.A. would mostly prefer that their kids marry other Jews, Mormons other Mormons & everyone would prefer that their kids adhere to at least some bare minimum common social etiquette- a Westerner that their kids shake hands with others or wave, an Indian foot touching, an Islamic family a Salaam or a Japanese family a bowing-none of these social graces make one a bigot. If a child refuses to do these culturally specific stuff, parents would well be disappointed & even voice their disappointment a few times-irrespective of culture or nationality, this isn't bigotry either.

Had parents disowned or killed a child, thats' very different, but being offended if parents prefer that you keep minimum social graces which you might not like or voicing disappointment if you don't doesn't make them a bigot. Makes you one maybe.

Btw, even if you happen to completely shake off your culture & become totally Westernized, human nature being what it is, you will still stand out among many whites, who might continue to identify you as an Asian, an immigrant from a Hindu, South Asian background.

Reply #59 - June 01, 2009, 10:55 AM

Okay, excellent. When I was a kid, there was this half-Indian kid who told us "tardoo/tardu" meant "dick and balls" in Kannada. However, he was known to make lots of shit up. Is that a real word and does it really mean that? Thanks.

cant really say.. I have never heard dick and balls being referred that way but his dialect could have been different. Kannada spoken in Northern Karnataka is different from southern Karnataka. He could have been from the North. The word for dick is Ku-mma-nni.

It is better to remain quiet and have people think that you are an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt.
  • Previous page 1 23 4 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »