Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
May 11, 2024, 06:33 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
May 10, 2024, 12:51 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
May 10, 2024, 09:41 AM

New Britain
May 08, 2024, 07:28 AM

General chat & discussion...
May 08, 2024, 07:16 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
May 07, 2024, 04:01 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 30, 2024, 06:51 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: Hi.

(Read 19846 times)
  • 12 3 4 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Hi.
     OP - May 29, 2009, 08:34 PM

Hi. Im an ex hindu here.

I chose to become an ex hindu agter being traumatised at a young age by the story of Ganesh having his head chopped off by his angry daddy, and then somehow having it replaced with the head of an elephant - then later on my understanding of transplantation immunology from my Biology degree kind of made me rethink the whole story, and concluded the impossible to be nothing more than a pile of elephant poop  Cheesy.

Any other ex hindus here, or am I the only one?

We keep hearing about how Jack Straw or the French government have mentioned the veil and our doing so puts us in the same boat as them. How so? I want a ban on the burka, neqab and child veiling.

you can either defend women or you must defend Islam. You can’t defend both

- Maryam Namaze
  • Re: Hi.
     Reply #1 - May 29, 2009, 08:48 PM

I`m not sure if there are any Hindus here. Have you ever flirted with Islam?

"Poor human nature, what horrible crimes have been committed in thy name!"
    - Emma Goldman
     Reply #2 - May 29, 2009, 09:15 PM

Other then what I read about Iran / Iraq / Saudi Arabia, and Maryam Namazie's and other videos on youtube, I am not too knowledgable on Islam, but to me it is like a plague just like every other religion is that makes good people very very mentally ill.

I am an Athiest, but for some reason I am interested in religion and like to read about it. I just came across this site through Maryam's videos some time ago, and just felt like joinin the forums now.

I am hoping to find some more stuff to read on this forum about religion and particularly the awful Sharia world that I strongly oppose.

I can only imagine how much more difficult leaving Islam is, for me I just told my parents I didnt believe in their religion or anymore, and I got called some insults like Blashpemor and White (gora), but other then that they got over it fairly quickly.

And now ...

We keep hearing about how Jack Straw or the French government have mentioned the veil and our doing so puts us in the same boat as them. How so? I want a ban on the burka, neqab and child veiling.

- Maryam Namaze
     Reply #3 - May 29, 2009, 09:23 PM

Welcome ExHindu, there is another ex Hindu on the forum called Calm.  She posted a thread about the reasons why she left Hinduism, which I think may have gone into the archives.  If you search her posts you should find it easy enough. 

As for your cheeseburger....you're an atheist, so you've got bigger problems to worry about.

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #4 - May 29, 2009, 09:45 PM

But I already sold my soul for a bottle of beer ...

Actually, I've sold my soul two or three times.

Maybe I can sell it on Ebay too ....

Hmmmm

- Maryam Namaze
     Reply #5 - May 30, 2009, 01:21 AM

Welcome to Narg  bunny

Pakistan Zindabad? ya Pakistan sey Zinda bhaag?

Long Live Pakistan? Or run with your lives from Pakistan?
     Reply #6 - May 30, 2009, 01:28 AM

Welcome! ^_^

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ExMuslims
    Council of Ex-Muslims of the Netherlands will be back!

Never doubt that a small group of commited people can change te world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. -Margaret Mead
     Reply #7 - May 30, 2009, 03:25 AM

Hi. Im an ex hindu here.

I chose to become an ex hindu agter being traumatised at a young age by the story of Ganesh having his head chopped off by his angry daddy, and then somehow having it replaced with the head of an elephant - then later on my understanding of transplantation immunology from my Biology degree kind of made me rethink the whole story, and concluded the impossible to be nothing more than a pile of elephant poop  Cheesy.

Any other ex hindus here, or am I the only one?

Hi Ex-Hindu - I'm not sure if there are any other ex-Hindus here, but I'm sure everyone here will make you feel welcome. Smiley

Oh and a big welcome from me  Afro

EDIT: Oh yes, as Cheetah said there is Calm, she's cool  Afro Smiley
     Reply #8 - May 30, 2009, 03:38 AM

Hiya Ex-Hindu. You should have got a least a six pack for that soul. You got ripped off.  Wink

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #9 - May 30, 2009, 06:16 AM

In Hindu mythology one of the gods, steals clothes of girls who are having a bath outside in a river and he does not return the clothes until all of the girls come out nude out of the water so he can admire them.

But the funny one is when god gets scared and jumps into the ass of a cow, hence why the cow is holy in Hindu mythology. In another tale one of the gods has sex with his daughter. In some aspects Hinduism is worse then Islam, when you read into the LAWS of MANU.

Anyway I need to jet to work.
     Reply #10 - May 30, 2009, 06:39 AM

Welcome ex-hindu Smiley
     Reply #11 - May 30, 2009, 08:04 AM

In Hindu mythology one of the gods, steals clothes of girls who are having a bath outside in a river and he does not return the clothes until all of the girls come out nude out of the water so he can admire them.

But the funny one is when god gets scared and jumps into the ass of a cow, hence why the cow is holy in Hindu mythology. In another tale one of the gods has sex with his daughter. In some aspects Hinduism is worse then Islam, when you read into the LAWS of MANU.

Anyway I need to jet to work.

You know when I were much younger, I always used to ask for some kind of holy book.

Christians have the bible, Muslims the Quran, Jews the Torah, but all we get is crazy old hags telling us a load of ancient and crazy ramblings about their silly gods and traditions.

I would love to read all of the texts that your points are from and see them from myself, as much as I would like to obtain a quran, but its not as easy as being given free bibles at schools and universities to use as emergency toilet paper.

Well, they placed a bible in every room with a message in them not to take it away, so I took it :p The one I got at school was only the new testament and Psalms, the one in my room at uni was the full thing so it's mine now.

I stole a bible lol.

But I want to go bathe in the holy river and catch cholera like everyone else does :( I dont have cholera, I feel left out.

Oh, that can be my sig.

one thing I know about hinduism is that most of it is just spoken word. There is very little of what you get taught actually written down, and if it is it is usually done so in the form of a comic book. There is not one single text or religious book that we get given to read, and the teaching of the religion is mostly tied in along with the Indian culture.

Now, I wonder what is going to happen when I refuse to have strings tied around my wrist this year ..... yay, I can get called a disgusting blasphemor again.

Also, they say that Hinduism is a peaceful religion, yet it is the only one that I know of where they have an anual holy dance for something like 9 nights where they whack each other with sticks. Many of the people end up being whacked on the hands untill their knuckles are battered and even bleeding, but they carry on going and seem to enjoy having the crap beat out of their hands with sticks Huh?

- Maryam Namaze
     Reply #12 - May 30, 2009, 11:44 AM

Tut,

I think you are talking about Lord Krishna. He was about 7-8 years old then. He did steal the cloths of the women who were bathing in the river, but that was not because he wanted to look at them naked but because he was playing a prank on them. You don't expect a child to have sexual feelings. I am tired of Muslims rehashing the same story over and over again.

You will also have to tell me which god it is that gets scared and jumps into the ass of the cow. I have never heard such a story. The cow is scared because almost every byproduct of the cow is useful. Krishna was a cowherd before he became a prince. Also lord Shiva's attendant is a bull. Cattle have long been considered sacred because the ancients benefited from them.

The god you are talking about who had sex with his daughter is most probably Brahma.
    Hindus believe Brahma to be the creator. He created Saraswati (The goddess of learning and knowledge). On creating her, he desired her. Lord Shiva felt that as Brahma was her creator, he was her father and so his desire for her was inappropriate. So lost Shiva cut off Brahma's head.
    This is also one reason why you will rarely find any temple dedicated to Brahma in India

The laws of Manu are very bad and we will discard them. Intercaste marriages in India are on the rise and slowly Manu will become irrelevant.

Tut, I recommend that you read a few Hindu scriptures before commenting on Hinduism. Please start with the Mahabharata and the Ramayana and the Bhagwad Gita.

Criticise Hinduism all you want but please make it Valid criticism instead of some vague stuff that you make up. Or at the very least use wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cattle_in_religion
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cattle_in_religion

It is better to remain quiet and have people think that you are an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt.
     Reply #13 - May 30, 2009, 11:48 AM

Welcome ex-hindu

one thing I know about hinduism is that most of it is just spoken word. There is very little of what you get taught actually written down,

And you are lucky for that,

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
     Reply #14 - May 30, 2009, 12:01 PM

Ex-Hindu

Most Hindus who become atheists do so because they do not accept the Hindu Philosophies or due to the atrocities of the Hindu social structure.
    I don't think that there are any Hindus who actually believe that, there is an actual fat man in the sky with the head of an elephant. There stories are understood to be mythological.
    You are the first person who actually thinks that Hindus really believe in the physical existence of Ganesha.

Also, they say that Hinduism is a peaceful religion, yet it is the only one that I know of where they have an anual holy dance for something like 9 nights where they whack each other with sticks. Many of the people end up being whacked on the hands untill their knuckles are battered and even bleeding, but they carry on going and seem to enjoy having the crap beat out of their hands with sticks Huh?

This post of yours makes me doubt your story of being an Ex-Hindu. What you are talking about here is the Garba and the Dandiya Raas. These are dances that are mostly performed in the Indian State of Gujrat during the Festival of Navratri.
    The object of these dances is to clap hands or sticks to the beat and not to hit each other on the knuckles
    All Hindus will know this, again you are the first person who thinks the object is to hit each other

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganesha
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navratri
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garba_(dance)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dandiya

It is better to remain quiet and have people think that you are an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt.
     Reply #15 - May 30, 2009, 12:11 PM

Welcome ex-hindu

one thing I know about hinduism is that most of it is just spoken word. There is very little of what you get taught actually written down,

And you are lucky for that,

The problem with Hinduism is the opposite of Islam. There are far too many books.
    1) There are the 4 Vedas which are 4 books each.
    2) There are commentaries on the Vedas with each Veda having its own separate commentary.
    3)There are Upanishads which actually form the basis of Hindu philosophy and are also commentaries on the Vedas.
    4) Epics like the Ramayana and the Mahabharata.
    5)Puranas, which are relatively new books detailing the stories of the various gods.
    6)Works of later teachers which themselves become sacred.
    7) The Aghama sutras. if the Vedas are the right hand path then the Aghamas are the Left hand path.

All teaching the same thing. what you like is your choice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%9Aruti
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smriti

Reply #16 - May 30, 2009, 01:04 PM

Ex-Hindu

Most Hindus who become atheists do so because they do not accept the Hindu Philosophies or due to the atrocities of the Hindu social structure.
    I don't think that there are any Hindus who actually believe that, there is an actual fat man in the sky with the head of an elephant. There stories are understood to be mythological.
    You are the first person who actually thinks that Hindus really believe in the physical existence of Ganesha.

Also, they say that Hinduism is a peaceful religion, yet it is the only one that I know of where they have an anual holy dance for something like 9 nights where they whack each other with sticks. Many of the people end up being whacked on the hands untill their knuckles are battered and even bleeding, but they carry on going and seem to enjoy having the crap beat out of their hands with sticks Huh?

This post of yours makes me doubt your story of being an Ex-Hindu. What you are talking about here is the Garba and the Dandiya Raas. These are dances that are mostly performed in the Indian State of Gujrat during the Festival of Navratri.
    The object of these dances is to clap hands or sticks to the beat and not to hit each other on the knuckles
    All Hindus will know this, again you are the first person who thinks the object is to hit each other

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganesha
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navratri
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garba_(dance)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dandiya

You get a big fat /FAIL at humor.

You may need to get one of these:

No, there are many hindus that believe in Ganesha and Hanuman. I know plenty. The stories are not understood by many hindus to be mythical, nor the gods, they are believed to be real by many hindus - I have two parents and 4 grandparents that devoutly believe in these stories and gods as 100% real.

Hinduism is today the only religion that is based mostly of mythology, but just as much as people believe other religions to be true, hindus do believe in various myths from hinduism to be true as well.

Completely wrong. Hindus can only become Atheists by no longer believing in God and spirituality. Disbelieving in either philosophy or a social structure does not turn anyone into an Atheist - these have nothing to do with either God or spirituality.

- Maryam Namaze
     Reply #17 - May 30, 2009, 01:13 PM

I dont think he was trying to be funny or sarcastic.  The hindu's I know would have agreed with what he wrote about these Gods being representative rather than real.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #18 - May 30, 2009, 01:18 PM

Yes my whole family is from Gujerat, and of course the idea of Dandiya is not to hit people on the hands, but if you have ever attended a Garba, you would know that many people do accidentally keep on getting hit on the hands.

I have seen people purposefully holding the dandiya from the middle rather then the end, as to be able to play from both sides - they usually end up with bruised and swollen knuckles, oh hey, it was my auntie who showed me her hands after doing this herself plenty of years ago.

This post of yours makes me doubt your story of being an Ex-Hindu.

Ok, so for your reassurance, I just decided to walk around my house and take a picture of the first hindu thing that I saw, it wasnt really too hard:

It's been in our house since 1998. I wonder why non - hindus in Britain would ever keep something like that. P.S, the clock's batteries are dead.

- Maryam Namaze
     Reply #19 - May 30, 2009, 01:41 PM

Idol, don't get me wrong I am not an expert on Hindu mythology - but I always thought how can anyone follow such nonsense... It is very evident that it is just myth not to be taken literally. 
     Reply #20 - May 30, 2009, 01:44 PM

Idol, don't get me wrong I am not an expert on Hindu mythology - but I always thought how can anyone follow such nonsense... It is very evident that it is just myth not to be taken literally. 

Just as much as people can believe in anything from the Bible or Quran, they can easilly fall victim to the BS of Hinduism.

See this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbC04A9nUmU&feature=related

OMG it is a reincarnated god !!!

- Maryam Namaze
     Reply #21 - May 30, 2009, 01:50 PM

exhindu are you male or female?
     Reply #22 - May 30, 2009, 01:55 PM

exhindu are you male or female?

I am male. I updated my profile to add this information.

- Maryam Namaze
     Reply #23 - May 30, 2009, 11:28 PM

I have met hindus who started telling me how the world was created, when i pushed them i realized they really believed this.

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
     Reply #24 - May 31, 2009, 12:27 AM

I think many people have thought exactly the same thing about Islam.... (and any other religion)

In any case, one of my best friends comes from a Hindu family.  His Dad doesn't believe in any of it, but just goes through the motions because it's expected of him by the extended family.  His mom on the other hand believes in it literally.  She actually believes in a being with an elephant head etc.

Reply #25 - May 31, 2009, 01:12 AM

I believe in Ganesha too, but do I actually believe in his physical existence? No.. I do not. Its just a form of God that we like to worship. People believe in the existence of Ganesha because they believe that its one of the forms that God can take.  Ditto for all the other gods. Worship any form of the God that you like. In all probability, Ganesha was a tribal god that mainstream Hinduism Incorporated.

If you are getting hit on your hands then the problem is that you have a bad partner. If your partner hits you on purpose then then there are other issues that need to be resolved.

The Hindu gods and spiritualism are tied into the Hindu Philosophy. You rejecting the Gods means you rejecting the philosophy behind the existence of the gods. We believe that there is only one god, however that one god can be worshiped in different forms depending on the choice of the worshiper.
    Each sect of Hinduism has its own supreme god. So I ask, what sect did you follow and who was the supreme god of your sect.
    There is another poster here called calm.. Her criticism of Hinduism is based on the Philosophies and beliefs of the Hindus and that's valid.

As for the people who believe in gods reincarnating on earth as babies...

There was this case about Lakshmi.. the girl born with multiple limbs in the Indian state of Bihar. Some ignorant villagers did believe her to be a goddess reincarnated, but the majority of Indians and Hindus knew that her extra limbs were the result of a medical condition and assisted her parents in getting them removed   
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/11/13/world/main3493648.shtml

(CBS/AP)  Nearly a week after surgeons removed the extra limbs from an Indian girl born with four arms and four legs, the bright-eyed 2-year-old made her first public appearance Tuesday after leaving the hospital's intensive care unit.

Swathed in blankets and lying on her father's lap, the girl, named Lakshmi, appeared before reporters without the extra limbs which had led some people in her rural village to revere her as an incarnation of the four-armed goddess she was named after.

Looking healthy and alert, Lakshmi had both of her legs in casts while her arms were free. After sitting for photographs, her parents quickly ushered her off the stage without speaking to reporters.

Lakshmi's doctors were encouraged by her progress and said she was responding well enough to treatment to leave the hospital's intensive care unit.

"She is coping very well and she is stable," said chief surgeon Dr. Sharan Patil. "Lakshmi is safe at the moment."

Lakshmi had a 25 percent chance of not even surviving the surgery, reports Price.

Lakshmi was born joined at the pelvis to a "parasitic twin" that stopped developing in her mother's womb. The surviving fetus absorbed the limbs, kidneys and other body parts of the undeveloped twin.

A team of more than 30 surgeons finished a 24-hour operation last Wednesday at a hospital in the southern city of Bangalore. They removed the extra limbs, transplanted a kidney from the twin and reconstructed Lakshmi's pelvic area.

Lakshmi has begun eating solid food again and has been off her respirator since Friday, Patil said.

But despite her swift progress, Patil cautioned that Lakshmi still had a long way to go toward a full recovery.

"We still have things to do, but so far, so good," he said.

Lakshmi will need further treatment and possible surgery for clubbed feet before she will be able to walk. Her wounds from surgery are still healing and Patil said they will continue to monitor her closely.

The casts on her legs are intended to keep her inverted feet straight and the legs together.

He did not say when she might be able to return home.

Children born with deformities in rural India like the remote village in the northern state of Bihar where Lakshmi comes from are often viewed as reincarnated gods.

Her father, Shambhu, who only goes by one name, had told reporters that her family had been worried for her future before the operation and that he was looking forward to seeing her with "a normal body."

Just because a few uneducated villagers believe a child to be a goddess does not mean that all Hindus believe the child to be a goddess.

Reply #26 - May 31, 2009, 07:24 AM

I have met hindus who started telling me how the world was created, when i pushed them i realized they really believed this.

Yea, same here.

The world was created from a lotus flower. No joke! It really was.

Each sect of Hinduism has its own supreme god. So I ask, what sect did you follow and who was the supreme god of your sect.
    There is another poster here called calm.. Her criticism of Hinduism is based on the Philosophies and beliefs of the Hindus and that's valid.

See, I dont believe I had a sect. My family pretty much believed in lots of the gods and worshipped many of them, the main ones they worship are Ganesh (Ganpati in gujerati), Hanuman, Ram, Sita, and Lakshmi.

I were not meaning to critisise Hinduism in this thread, I were meaning to create some blasphemous jokes about the religious traditions with which I was raised. They were not meant to be serious critisisms, hence the 'beating each other with sticks' part was an over exageration about people accidentally getting hit on the hands when playing Garba, which I have seen happen.

Garba really carries a higher risk of phyically damaging yourself then going to a heavy metal mosh pit does. Seriously, I've been to both many many times and have only seen injuries occour in Garba out of the two. Drunken mosh dancing is safer then Garba.

- Maryam Namaze
     Reply #27 - May 31, 2009, 09:41 AM

Ex-Hindu welcome Smiley
    One more ex-hindu here, from Gujarati background Smiley and very bad at Dandiya. I am little bit busy at the moment so I have not read the whole thread. 

Somewhere you will find a my thread on Hinduism. It is not the mythology which matters to me, caste, Karma and over-respect for religious leaders are my main opposition.

Having said that, I like many things in Upanishad and Geeta. I have seen very few Hindus taking the mythology literally. And I don't dislike Hindusim any more than other religions.
     Reply #28 - May 31, 2009, 06:04 PM

I dislike all religions, and like to make fun of them all :p. 

I believe my family to be extremist hindus then, if those exist. My mother actually sits and and fills book after book after book of prayer lines, as well as praying to her little shrine thing as much as muslims do.

She definately believes in the elephant headed man, oh, and she spends several days at a time with her friends making poppadoms (seriously, who does this anymore?).

When they talk to each other, it seriously sounds like a mob of shrieking witches :(.

I dont celebrate any religious festivals anymore, not even Christmas. 

We were raised to actually get on our knees and worship older people, not just touch their smelly feet :x. 

I refuse to do that anymore and my mother gets upset by me not kneeling to my elders.

- Maryam Namaze
     Reply #29 - May 31, 2009, 07:14 PM

Any of you guys speak Kannada fluently or conversationally?

fuck you
  • 12 3 4 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »