Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Hello!

(Read 4184 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Hello!
     OP - May 29, 2009, 06:54 PM

Im not and never was a Muslim (although I cam close to converting once), but I find Islam to be an interesting religion. I like discussing religion and politics, and hope to encourage dialogue.

Speaking of encouraging, I was encouraged to join here by Hassan Radwan, who is a loving human being and deserves our respect.

I have a Youtube account as well:

http://www.youtube.com/user/freemanrevolution

And I have made this recent video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dZszT4i6ug&feature=channel_page
  • Re: Hello!
     Reply #1 - May 29, 2009, 07:14 PM

Im not and never was a Muslim (although I cam close to converting once)

Welcome at the infidels secret hide out! =D

Interesting =O
    Why didn't you?

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ExMuslims
    Council of Ex-Muslims of the Netherlands will be back!

Never doubt that a small group of commited people can change te world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. -Margaret Mead
     Reply #2 - May 29, 2009, 07:37 PM

Hi Locke, glad you joined mate. Be prepared for all sorts of views here - but they are all a good lot   grin12

You come from a Jewish background - right? But you are Agnostic/Atheist?

What made a young agnostic/atheist (from a Jewish background) become interested in converting to Islam? I'm really curious.

Not because I don't think think many good people convert - of course I know many do and most Muslims are good and decent people.

But what is it that attracts an outsider?

Is it the strict monotheism? The clear rules and boundaries? The logic of the religious arguments? The claims of miracles? Or something else?
     Reply #3 - May 29, 2009, 07:42 PM

Welcome, FreeLocke.   Smiley

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #4 - May 29, 2009, 07:52 PM

Cool What  began your interest, and what was the thing you loved most about Islam?  Who saved you?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #5 - May 29, 2009, 07:54 PM

Welcome FreeLocke! Welcome to the forum cheers

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshiped anything but himself."
    ~Sir Richard Francis Burton

"I think religion is just like smoking: Both invented by people, addictive, harmful, and kills!"
    ~RIBS
     Reply #6 - May 29, 2009, 07:57 PM

Welcome.  Greetings

Neat video btw.

"Poor human nature, what horrible crimes have been committed in thy name!"
    - Emma Goldman
     Reply #7 - May 29, 2009, 08:15 PM

Hi Locke, glad you joined mate. Be prepared for all sorts of views here - but they are all a good lot   grin12

You come from a Jewish background - right? But you are Agnostic/Atheist?

What made a young agnostic/atheist (from a Jewish background) become interested in converting to Islam? I'm really curious.

Not because I don't think think many good people convert - of course I know many do and most Muslims are good and decent people.

But what is it that attracts an outsider?

Is it the strict monotheism? The clear rules and boundaries? The logic of the religious arguments? The claims of miracles? Or something else?

Yes, am I an agnostic from a Jewish background

I never really cared much for the strict monotheism. However one of my friends converted to Islam (I recall telling you about him), and this got me interested. I also watched some movies they showed us in school about Islam, giving me a good (although politically correct) impression of Islam. This was then coupled by the claim of miracles.

However, when I actually got around to reading the Quran, it turned out it was nothing that I thought it was. The impression that I got from school was almost completely false (in some cases completely opposite), and after I no longer had a desire to become Muslim, I looked into those miracles and saw that all of them were logically fallacious and pseudoscientific.

Despite the above, I do not think Islam is completely bad. Its rejection of absolute authority (at least for those other than God and Muhammad), for example, I find to be a positive.

Btw, thank you for your salutations
     Reply #8 - May 29, 2009, 08:32 PM

Funny you mention the authority thing - I think many are attracted (and many born Muslims are inspired by) the fact that Islam is the bogey man these days. It appeals to their sense of rebellion and going against the grain.

I'm all for that - but have discovered that Islam only hands you over to an ever worse authority - that of a cruel and sadistic God that demands complete obedience or he will burn you. Worse than that is that it divides humanity.

I always say I am not on a mission to eradicate Islam and I have huge love and empathy for Muslims, but the religions itself has outgrown its usefulness for mankind. We have evolved beyond that. And it would be nice to think man could stand on his own two feet and not need the crutch of Islam - or any religion.

Smiley
     Reply #9 - May 29, 2009, 08:34 PM

Funny you mention the authority thing - I think many are attracted (and many born Muslims are inspired by) the fact that Islam is the bogey man these days. It appeals to their sense of rebellion and going against the grain.

I'm all for that - but have discovered that Islam only hands you over to an ever worse authority - that of a cruel and sadistic God that demands complete obedience or he will burn you. Worse than that is that it divides humanity.

I always say I am not on a mission to eradicate Islam and I have huge love and empathy for Muslims, but the religions itself has outgrown its usefulness for mankind. We have evolved beyond that. And it would be nice to think man could stand on his own two feet and not need the crutch of Islam - or any religion.

Smiley

Man can & will

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #10 - May 29, 2009, 08:45 PM

Its rejection of absolute authority (at least for those other than God and Muhammad), for example, I find to be a positive.

I'm not sure how positive that is, though. Allah wanted a monopoly on authority because he's incredibly jealous and can't stand the thought of his power being challenged. Islam doesn't 'reject' absolute authority because it values independence and freedom. It's because Allah is  a psychotic control freak.

Islam is all for hierarchical relationships (parent to child, husband to wife, etc) as long as Allah's authority and rules are not challenged! If they are, the oppressed is encouraged to rebel against his or her oppressor.  

So, yeah Islam 'rejects' absolute authority (outside of Mo & Allah) but all for the wrong reason.

"Poor human nature, what horrible crimes have been committed in thy name!"
    - Emma Goldman
     Reply #11 - May 29, 2009, 08:51 PM

It appeals to their sense of rebellion and going against the grain.

I think that will be its downfall. As soon this happens, then only those livimg in the past or disenfranchised individuals are the new Muslims, the more ordinary Muslims (the majority) will want to distance themselves from them & the religion.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #12 - May 29, 2009, 09:36 PM

Smiley

Yes, you are absolutely right. Islam has become a fad among people. Hopefully people will outgrow that.

I also agree that God in the Quran, just as in the Bible, is hateful and a megalomaniac, and I decline from accepting salvation from such a fiend.

I fully think that Islam, as well as Christianity, have become detrimental to our society. While I say that Islam has a few positives, the negative aspects far outweigh the positive ones, and these positive aspects can be found elsewhere (and actually most of these are influenced from elsewhere).

Its rejection of absolute authority (at least for those other than God and Muhammad), for example, I find to be a positive.

I'm not sure how positive that is, though. Allah wanted a monopoly on authority because he's incredibly jealous and can't stand the thought of his power being challenged. Islam doesn't 'reject' absolute authority because it values independence and freedom. It's because Allah is  a psychotic control freak.

Islam is all for hierarchical relationships (parent to child, husband to wife, etc) as long as Allah's authority and rules are not challenged! If they are, the oppressed is encouraged to rebel against his or her oppressor.   

So, yeah Islam 'rejects' absolute authority (outside of Mo & Allah) but all for the wrong reason.

While I agree the reasons are bad, the outcome is typically good. Due to this, absolute dictatorships like in the Post-Renaissance West isn't possible.

However, I should point out while there can't be a live absolute human authority, one thing does retain absolute authority in the Islamic world-the Quran. And that is not at all a good authority
     Reply #13 - May 29, 2009, 09:48 PM

Hi FreeLocke. Welcome to the forum.  parrot

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #14 - May 29, 2009, 10:36 PM

I'm not sure how positive that is, though. Allah wanted a monopoly on authority because he's incredibly jealous and can't stand the thought of his power being challenged. Islam doesn't 'reject' absolute authority because it values independence and freedom. It's because Allah is  a psychotic control freak.

Which translates to anyone today wearing the mantle of Mo & Allah.

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
     Reply #15 - May 29, 2009, 10:36 PM

Welcome FreeLocke

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
     Reply #16 - May 30, 2009, 12:24 AM

Greetings

please read my blog, read how islam will win
    the clash of civilization.

http://www.xanga.com/hfghj23458654fgha
     Reply #17 - June 03, 2009, 04:52 AM

Welcome FreeLocke! Good to have you here, I must check out your youtube vids.  bunny
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »