Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Hello again everyone..!

(Read 3948 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Hello again everyone..!
     OP - May 23, 2009, 05:34 PM

Howdy everyone

You may or may not remember me, as the Marmalade-Lady who posted only a few times here.
    Anyway suffice it to say I have been through a rocky tract the last few months what with moving out etc. Lots of interesting things playing out in my life. My parents already fear I may dishonour them and still believe that if I got married to a gooddy Bangladeshi man, I will suddenly see the light (i.e I would be tamed enough to keep their honour intact). Getting married sorts any devious miscreants out for South Asians-always the solution to everything!

Quite ironically just as I was thinking of posting again on this forum, I just came from meeting a friend in Kilburn, in London, and we saw a whole group of Muslim men (no women it seems), parading down the street shouting through a microphone that Islam and Shariah Law are the only solutions to world problems. I should be glad I am not as intelligent as them, since their leaflet claimed that Shariah law was so 'obviously' the right solution for the ills of British society. Why aren;t we all as clued up as them...? It was a great meandering down meemory lane for me, especially after the crap I have had to take the last few months from my family...

Lots of great posts here....by the way when is the next ex-muslim meetup? I would love to go...

Take care

Marmalade-Lady
  • Re: Hello again everyone..!
     Reply #1 - May 23, 2009, 05:41 PM

Hi,
    Nice to see you back  Smiley
     Reply #2 - May 23, 2009, 06:00 PM

Hello again, Marmalade.   Smiley

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #3 - May 23, 2009, 06:32 PM

Howdy everyone

You may or may not remember me, as the Marmalade-Lady who posted only a few times here.
    Anyway suffice it to say I have been through a rocky tract the last few months what with moving out etc. Lots of interesting things playing out in my life. My parents already fear I may dishonour them and still believe that if I got married to a gooddy Bangladeshi man, I will suddenly see the light (i.e I would be tamed enough to keep their honour intact). Getting married sorts any devious miscreants out for South Asians-always the solution to everything!

Quite ironically just as I was thinking of posting again on this forum, I just came from meeting a friend in Kilburn, in London, and we saw a whole group of Muslim men (no women it seems), parading down the street shouting through a microphone that Islam and Shariah Law are the only solutions to world problems. I should be glad I am not as intelligent as them, since their leaflet claimed that Shariah law was so 'obviously' the right solution for the ills of British society. Why aren;t we all as clued up as them...? It was a great meandering down meemory lane for me, especially after the crap I have had to take the last few months from my family...

Lots of great posts here....by the way when is the next ex-muslim meetup? I would love to go...

Take care

Marmalade-Lady

Hey, Marmalade - great to see you kiddo. I know Kilburn High St well and no-doubt it was the same ppl who used to have a stall outside WHSmiths handing out Hizbi crap  grin12

How r u getting on with living away from parents - easier? I know it's never easy, my 21 year-old is going thru shit too :(
     Reply #4 - May 23, 2009, 07:04 PM

Hello again Hassan

Its been a bit strange for me. Initially I moved out completely but after my mother started crying and crying for days and got ill in hospital I decided to come back. However I still 'live' in my flatt, I just go home late in the evenings , i.e I sleep at home. I work part time, and most of the time during the day at home, so I spend most of my days in my flat. My parents suspect I imagine but the idea in south asian families is you have to stay under the 'family/clan wing'. Its all a bit ridiculous really, but most of the time I am not at home, yet expected to be 'seen' to be at home i.e I sleep there. Many days though I just lie and say I have to go to a work conference or something and sleep their overnight. My flatmate is fine about it, and really understanding.

Beyond moving out, what it did do is shake my family a lot. My parents have loosened up more, and I go out more etc and come home later if need be without them hassling me. They are more cautious about 'expecting' me to do whatever they think I should do, knowing what could possibly result if they push me too much. All those times when I was told off for even coming home by nine, and had to worry if I went to any spiritual group etc, all those years they always made me very tense if I went to anything in the evening or even went anywhere during weekends, always wanting me to be as home as soon as possible...I took a lot of shit from them and shouting and abuse. Others could just relax and do their own thing, but no with Muslim Bangladeshi families they will hound you down so much, always worried about their fucked up image in the community..Most things happen in evenings and weekends, yet I can't go to any talks, meetings, groups etc without getting hassle from them to come back before the bluddy thing has started. For years they stifled me, and I could not pursue the spiritual practices I wanted to pursue. If you go out anywhere it must be for a few hours during the day, or ideally we have to go to stupid relatives houses. Its all so carefully controlled and contrived.

Other things in terms of bullying and abuse in the family and from relatives made my life hell their. Yet its all fine, as long as you can put a face in the community, thats all that matters...thats another story.

Yes I studied, I did a pHD but so what?For them to boast and just add another title to their name and increase my chances of getting a good marriage match.Most of the South Asian community just get titles and professions, make money and spend time wallowing in their community and its weird politics. There is not much ingenuity beyond getting titles and professions, very robotic people. This is what they call 'education'.
    My parents have had to let go more and more, and they have seen what I am willing to do for my freedom. It has rocked their foundations. Indirectly therefore my life has significantly transformed, and the tense fear under which all my siblings lived under my father's authority has crumbling bit by bit. Now I go to these groups the way I want and most weekends spend time in my flat. Whether they like it or not they will have to accept my freedom. I don't regret my decision, I have dug a deep fissure in their fucked up culture...

Anyway pardon my language...

Marmalade-Lady
     Reply #5 - May 23, 2009, 07:43 PM

Good for you , you're getting there. As the eldest in my family I too remember putting a bomb under their cosy cultural complacency. This made it easier for the two middle others and little was made of their wayward passage thro' the teen years.
    Shit hits fan time really came when my youngest brother joined the ISKCon and he became Hari Sauri Das. My Mother was livid but eventually became quite proud of him, I think, and my Father went into a steep and rather lachrymose decline which lasted 2-3 years, almost like mourning.
       Stick with it and set your own agendum; it's your life.

Religion is ignorance giftwrapped in lyricism.
     Reply #6 - May 23, 2009, 08:07 PM

Hi Marmalade. Sounds like things are going well for you. Good to hear that you managed to make a break for freedom.  grin12

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #7 - May 24, 2009, 12:20 AM

Afro

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #8 - May 24, 2009, 08:42 AM

Nice to see you standing up for yourself. Good Luck.
     Reply #9 - May 24, 2009, 10:33 AM

Welcome back, I wonder what happens to people when they're no longer active. What kinda spiritual groups you involved in?

I chose to get circumcised at 17, don't tell me I never believed.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »