Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
May 11, 2024, 06:33 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
May 10, 2024, 12:51 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
May 10, 2024, 09:41 AM

New Britain
May 08, 2024, 07:28 AM

General chat & discussion...
May 08, 2024, 07:16 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
May 07, 2024, 04:01 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 30, 2024, 06:51 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: Tim Wise - The Pathology of White Privilege

(Read 4413 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Tim Wise - The Pathology of White Privilege
     OP - June 05, 2010, 04:51 PM

Racism and its effects on people

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7677528555527674049#docid=3812249801848706206

I am a student of quran and islam and not an exmuslim.
  • Re: Tim Wise - The Pathology of White Privilege
     Reply #1 - June 05, 2010, 04:56 PM

Hi Mughal Smiley Welcome back!
     Reply #2 - June 05, 2010, 05:21 PM

I've watched him before. He makes great point

Here's part 1/6 of the talk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ8xQPdjJfM

Here are the highlights (9 minutes):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3Xe1kX7Wsc

Reply #3 - June 06, 2010, 08:25 AM

Evil whitey!

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #4 - June 06, 2010, 09:04 AM

Good video. Cheers dude. Afro

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #5 - June 06, 2010, 10:23 AM

Evil whitey!

Grin
     Reply #6 - June 06, 2010, 02:35 PM

Its actually interesting watching that as a white man  and being honestly aware of my thoughts as im watching it. I have only watched the first one but as I was watching it I found myself getting a bit pissed off with him and a lot of his assumptions. Im not going to argue that some of this will not come from the comfort of the 'bestowed privilidge' by virtue of my being born white. I think I am one of the least concsciously racist people around. I say concsiously becuase I think subconsciously we are all a little bit racist( Copyright Avenue Q ) in as much as whether we know it or not we make decisions or asumptions based on race as well as other factors, dress, demeanour , accents , etc etc

He is of course spot on with a lot of his observations , or as he pointed out the observations of brown and black people whose voices he was a mere white ventrilquist for, but I found myself getting pissed off and tried to be a spectator in my own brain to work out why. My conclusion is that I dont go for the whole  collective white guilt trip. In fact I think its racist to think I should or that Im racist becuase I dont.
    Im quite clear in my own mind that while history stands stark on the issues and anyone who argues against it is obviously  in  racist -denial ,  I am not responsible for acts of the past or the present by people of a similar hue to myself. Yes its true I have enjoyed and continue to enjoy certain benefits by virtue of having been born with a lack of pigmentation  in this country but I didnt pray to some god as a  tiny wee racist sperm to please let me be born white. So im fucked if Im going to be wailing and lashing myself becuase of something I had no choice over. I will live and be judged by my own principles, beliefs and behaviour.
    I also dislike any debate on race that starts from Big Bad Whitey Vs People of Colour.  As if  it were the case that if Whitey dissapeared tomorrow the planet would be  a racially  harmonious paradise. Bollocks, there would be some other mob wanting to stand up and claim themselves the purest of races or some shite.  The debate on race will only progress if it is approached with honesty of all those taking part in it and that would include recognition of human foibles as well as an inherent disposition to some form of elitism or superiority ( usually through successful war outccomes ) based on tribal or racial lines  by any race. By recognising that and being vigilant against it we can at least minimalise its malevolent by-products.

I'll say it loud ! Im white and........ I burn a lot easier than brown people and its not as easy to hide blemishes or bruises.

According to the polls only 1.6 % of Americans are athiests. So what gives you the right to call the other 80% morons?'
     Reply #7 - June 06, 2010, 02:56 PM

I'll say it loud ! Im white and........ I burn a lot easier than brown people and its not as easy to hide blemishes or bruises.

Grin

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #8 - June 06, 2010, 03:38 PM

Im quite clear in my own mind that while history stands stark on the issues and anyone who argues against it is obviously  in  racist -denial ,  I am not responsible for acts of the past or the present by people of a similar hue to myself.

Good point.

I immigrated to this country aged 14 and went through school and college and was treated with respect throughout.  There were some racist boys but I ignored them.

Personally, I never judged people based on their race/colour.  Again the good secular education taught me these values.

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #9 - June 06, 2010, 03:43 PM

Good point.

I immigrated to this country aged 14 and went through school and college and was treated with respect throughout.  There were some racist boys but I ignored them.

Personally, I never judged people based on their race/colour.  Again the good secular education taught me these values.

Me neither.  I've always believed in judging people for their actions and attitudes rather than their race.  It's such a stupid thing to judge a person on.

I must admit though, the moment I meet a new muslim these days I instantly make a negative judgement.........but I am open to being surprised.  I know it's wrong and unfair, I'm just struggling to put the past behind me.

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #10 - June 06, 2010, 04:10 PM

sorry forget how to embed video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9CSnlb-ymA&NR=1

According to the polls only 1.6 % of Americans are athiests. So what gives you the right to call the other 80% morons?'
     Reply #11 - June 06, 2010, 05:14 PM

Lmao  @ the video

Baloney Detection Kit
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »