Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

New Britain
Today at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Top 10 Logical Fallacies Used By Religion

(Read 124367 times)
  • Previous page 1 2 3 45 6 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Top 10 Logical Fallacies Used By Religion
     Reply #90 - July 16, 2011, 06:20 AM

Fallacy of composition (There is science in Quran, so the rest must be true too)
    False dichotomy (Either we were created by Allah, or came by random chance as atheists believe...)
    Hasty generalization (Stalin was an athiest, therefore atheism is evil)
    Argumentum ad baculum (pascals wager)
     Reply #91 - September 09, 2011, 08:51 PM

As an ex-Muslim, I have been bombarded with the genetic fallacy. The genetic fallacy is when a justification is thought to be false simply because of how it originates .
    Example1: Because we now know how belief in God originates, theism must be wrong.
    Example2: You are gay, and you hate God, that's why you are an atheist.

"It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not."
    -Andre Gide
     Reply #92 - October 04, 2011, 09:46 PM

Hitler said “…” therefore it is automatically wrong.

Is that an example?
     Reply #93 - March 12, 2012, 08:05 PM

Is it right?
     Reply #94 - March 13, 2012, 12:48 AM

Hitler believed that the world was round. Was he wrong? Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Hitler believed that Islam was useful for creating militaristic warrior-martyrs and praised it accordingly. Was he wrong? Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Interested in Buddhism? Check out http://www.accesstoinsight.org/!
    Consider Nalanda University, and never let it happen again.
     Reply #95 - March 13, 2012, 12:49 AM

^ I was merely asking if my statement was an example of the genetic fallacy.
     Reply #96 - March 17, 2012, 11:25 AM

Hitler said “…” therefore it is automatically wrong.

Is that an example?

That is an appeal to Authority.

Top 20 Logical Fallacies here Smiley

http://www.theskepticsguide.org/resources/logicalfallacies.aspx

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=18520.0

Reply #97 - March 17, 2012, 07:53 PM

the problem with 99% of religionists is they'll never be candid and perform all kinds of demagoguery & sophistry. The religious brigade and there groupies will forever be mendacious and duplicitous, hardly ever will you find a religionist that is sincere, they whole JD is to give religion good PR.

Let's say there was one line in a religious scripture saying "kill gingers by removing their heads if you see them at your doorstep on sunset" and then a bloke shoots & kill 2 gingers guys he sees outside his house in the morning and it's caught on cctv, he then makes a video saying he did it becos this verse instructed him too before the police arrest him.

The apologist will come out with excuses like

1) he didn't do it cos of religion, it's the fault of culture as its normal in his culture to make ginger jokes, which led him to have prejudices to them, he's hatred for gingers can be proved by a joke he posted on facebook one week ago 1 week ago.

2 economic conditions are to blame. Gingers were occupying his city in high numbers and taking all the jobs, which led him being unemployed so this led him to kill the gingers as they impoverished him.

3 politics are to blame, there's a political party full of gingers called the GINGER LIBERATION FRONT who are planning to come in power and there leader plans to reduce rights for non-gingers.

4)the people murdered wern't ginger but blond and brunnette, the blokes medical records show his color blind, or the lack of daylight meant their haired looked ginger.

5) he misinterpreted the verse, the specific verse is only meant for when you're at war with gingers.

6) the word that's used for kill doesn't really mean kill, in this lexicon dictionary it can mean "push" "argue with" or "go away"

7) it's a "metaphor", it doesn't really mean to kill

8-  he didn't kill them at sunset, it was one hour past sunset.

9) he didn't remove their heads he shot them in the head.

save the gingers !!
     Reply #98 - June 11, 2012, 08:15 PM

Latin, dead language??? Hmmm, sort of, but just like evolution, the remnants of it exist in many modern languages. Take for example the word 'Language' derived from the Latin for tongue (lingua)

Latin (and other 'dead' languages) is an excellent language to learn, as it give clues to the ancestry of many of the modern words we use today. You will be surprised at how many Latin (and Greek) still have remnants even in modern English.

Eg "Procrastinate" (Pro-cras-tinate) comes from Latin "Pro" (forward), "Cras" (tomorrow), Tinere (to hold)

So to summarise "to hold forward for tomorrow"

Both Italian and Spanish descended from Latin. They split (speciated) and now they have mutated along separate lineages over time to arrive at the Italian and Spanish that people speak today, which are now considered different languages that are now not inter-comprehendable (just like species that once were the same but can no longer interbreed)

Isnt it great how evolution can be used as an anology to make understanding seemingly unrelated subjects so much easier. Thank you Mr Darwin!!

So when anyone says Latin is a "Dead Language" I cringe a leeeeettle bit.

I am better than your god......and so are you.

"Is the man who buys a magic rock, really more gullible than the man who buys an invisible magic rock?.......,...... At least the first guy has a rock!"
  • Top 10 Logical Fallacies Used By Religion
     Reply #99 - July 11, 2013, 11:29 AM

I would say that the appeal to emotion (or comfort, even) is ultimately the biggest factor in the end and the final hurdle in leaving Islam.  You see it all the time in debates, after trying to reason with the OP 20+ pages long.

All that fear, guilt, paranoia, awe, the what-if, the anxiety, the 'safety', your entire worldview, your self-identity, your way of life - it's not something so easily overcome with just pure reason and logic.  Even when you know beyond doubt that Islam is bullshit, you might try to ignore it because Islam is your comfort zone, you'll keep following it to feel 'safe' - it's such a huge leap for many people to imagine living without Islam in their life.

In short, our emotions get in the way.

"If a monster existed, it was buried deep within."
     Reply #100 - October 27, 2013, 08:11 PM

What's the logical form of this argument for religion...... "Believe in my religion or I slaughter you? " (as used in the Koran)
     Reply #101 - October 27, 2013, 08:16 PM

All that fear, guilt, paranoia, awe, the what-if, the anxiety, the 'safety', your entire worldview, your self-identity, your way of life - it's not something so easily overcome with just pure reason and logic.  Even when you know beyond doubt that Islam is bullshit, you might try to ignore it because Islam is your comfort zone, you'll keep following it to feel 'safe' - it's such a huge leap for many people to imagine living without Islam in their life.

In short, our emotions get in the way.

In short, this is ultimately it-leaving Islam, moving away from what you've been taught to believe is the 'truth' and then looking for meaning in other forms.
     Reply #102 - October 28, 2013, 11:18 AM

What's the logical form of this argument for religion...... "Believe in my religion or I slaughter you? " (as used in the Koran)

Argumentum ad baculum:

http://philosophy.lander.edu/logic/force.html
     Reply #103 - December 29, 2013, 09:20 AM

You must have been ill-treated by someone so you have lost faith in God Roll Eyes! Be patient. Ask for His help by praying Tahajjud, Nafl, etc. and read the Quran Cheesy!
     Reply #104 - February 17, 2014, 07:45 PM

Apologists double-think:

Scenario 1: You must have lost someone in your life therefore that caused you to question God and leave him. This is an emotional argument and not logically sound. It's not a good reason to disbelieve in God.

Scenario 2: Allhamdulillah the sister first became Muslim after she started questioning her role and purpose in life following the death of her child. She wanted peace and sukoon so she came to Allah. Mash'Allah.

The hipocrisy is patent.

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #105 - February 17, 2014, 09:27 PM

^ That’s a great point. My Dad took succour from the qur’an after his father died.
     Reply #106 - February 17, 2014, 09:30 PM

I know.

In all honesty the reason I became more MUSLAMIC was because of my fathers death when I was 13.

Would anyone criticise me for believing in Allah and praying/fasting/reading the Koran due to such patently emotional reasons? Not the propagandists.

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #107 - February 17, 2014, 09:35 PM

When something bad happens to a Muslim: He is being tested by Allah for his eeman.
    When something bad happens to a non-Muslim: He is cursed by Allah.

वासुदैव कुटुम्बकम्
    Entire World is One Family
    سارا سنسار ايک پريوار ہے
     Reply #108 - February 17, 2014, 09:42 PM

But never will they believe that shit just happens.

What are you 'Ram'? Muslim, Hindu, Jew, Buddhist, Pharsee or some other or none other???

Reply #109 - February 18, 2014, 02:57 PM

Jedi, I am a Hindu born in Shikarpur, Sindh, now in Pakistan. Sindhi is my mother tongue. I also speak Urdu, Hindi and Gujarati. I understand Panjabi and can speak a little.

वासुदैव कुटुम्बकम्
    سارا سنسار ايک پريوار ہے
     Reply #110 - February 18, 2014, 03:16 PM

Jedi, I am a Hindu born in Shikarpur, Sindh, now in Pakistan. Sindhi is my mother tongue. I also speak Urdu, Hindi and Gujarati. I understand Panjabi and can speak a little.

Jumna with parents at the Karachi Press Club on Sunday

SHAZIA HASAN Writes something for you Mr. Ram..  That is from last Sunday press club  from Karachi

Some folks are luckier than others..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #111 - February 18, 2014, 04:14 PM

I thought you weren't religious?

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #112 - February 18, 2014, 04:49 PM

Yeezy bhai...yeh news sunker/parkei aap qaisai yeh zindagi bardashi qartei ho?

Depressing stuff...

Anyway Ram...what is it about the Hindu faith you cling to...or are you 'cultural' Hindu?

Reply #113 - February 18, 2014, 05:17 PM

I thought you weren't religious?

I am not religious but still a Hindu. Let us put it this way - I am not orthodox. I am free to criticize openly various aspects of Hinduism such as the caste system and treatment of women without fear.

वासुदैव कुटुम्बकम्
    سارا سنسار ايک پريوار ہے
     Reply #114 - February 18, 2014, 05:19 PM

Thanks yeezevee. I am aware of it. I read Indian and Pakistani news regularly.

वासुदैव कुटुम्बकम्
    سارا سنسار ايک پريوار ہے
     Reply #115 - February 18, 2014, 05:30 PM

Irreducible complexity. That humans, and to a larger extent the universe are so "orderly" and "perfect" that they show signs of intelligent design.
     Reply #116 - February 18, 2014, 08:44 PM

Anyway Ram...what is it about the Hindu faith you cling to...or are you 'cultural' Hindu?

I don't cling to anything. Philosophically, Hinduism is compatible with my thinking, so is Buddhism, Atheism and Humanism. Hinduism has eveloved and still evolving.

For example the caste system is sanctioned in the Hindu sriptures but more and more people are transcending it. Today members of several "lower" castes are richer than Brahmins. This is only one example. Hindusim has survived inspite of 1000 year rule by Muslims and forcible conversions.

वासुदैव कुटुम्बकम्
    سارا سنسار ايک پريوار ہے
     Reply #117 - February 18, 2014, 08:59 PM

Interesting...Ram...Ram....and what do you say of the HIndu's in India - there are a few pockets of barbaric lot there aren't they? Or is it just the Muslims you focus upon? Do you forget your SIKH brothers who suffered at the hands of MUSLIMS and HINDUS.

Interesting Ram..Ram...that when there is a common enemy MUSLIM/HINDU are like conjoined twins. Do you agree?

Do you support the KHALISTANI movement?

Reply #118 - February 25, 2014, 11:48 PM

Very intersting indeed!
    - India has a secular constitution because of Hindu majority. If Muslims are so suppressed why aren't they moving to Pakistan?
    - How is that the Muslims are prominent in the Indian movie industry?
    - Why did Dilip Kumar (Asif Khan), a prominent Muslim actor remained in India after the partition?
    - Muhammad Rafi was very popular in India, how is that possible if Hindus are barbaric?
    - Why did India have Muslim Chief Justices of the Indian Supreme court, at least 2 times?
    - Why India has a Muslim foreign minister?
    Obviously, your answer would be, "because Hindus hate Muslims". Not surprised at all!

वासुदैव कुटुम्बकम्
    سارا سنسار ايک پريوار ہے
     Reply #119 - March 03, 2014, 09:12 PM

Hey Ram and Jedi, no need for this arguing. No need for a character assassination of each other.

I am better than your god......and so are you.

"Is the man who buys a magic rock, really more gullible than the man who buys an invisible magic rock?.......,...... At least the first guy has a rock!"
  • Previous page 1 2 3 45 6 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »