Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Top 10 Logical Fallacies Used By Religion

(Read 124333 times)
  • Previous page 1 23 4 ... 6 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Top 10 Logical Fallacies Used By Religion
     Reply #30 - July 10, 2009, 07:13 AM

are you sure there is a name for this fallacy?  it seems very specific to a particular argument and not a general one?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #31 - July 10, 2009, 09:48 AM

That is obviously fallacious but what is the name of the fallacy?

Idiocy?
     Reply #32 - July 10, 2009, 09:54 AM

Yeah, lets call it the idiotic fallacy

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #33 - July 10, 2009, 11:33 PM

are you sure there is a name for this fallacy?  it seems very specific to a particular argument and not a general one?

I thought it was pretty general, cuz you can imagine this fallacy being committed alot in many other scenarios.

It's when someone says X is from Y and it is assumed that therefore all Y has now turned into X.

The closest I can come up with is the fallacy of the undistributed middle: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy_of_the_undistributed_middle

The unlived life is not worth examining.
     Reply #34 - July 10, 2009, 11:35 PM

Idiocy?

Yeah, lets call it the idiotic fallacy

Lollage.

The unlived life is not worth examining.
     Reply #35 - August 08, 2009, 11:37 AM

It might be a non-sequitor.
     Reply #36 - August 10, 2009, 05:04 PM

Numero 11 seems to be a muslim favourite.

"Our women? Just look at them, they're WAYYYYY worse! That makes us justified in doing it!"

Maliki yawm ul LULZ
     Reply #37 - August 21, 2009, 05:20 PM

My favorite

"You can't see love, but you know it's there. You can't see air, but you know it's there. Same with God"

Love is emotion, and air you can see in the winter....

Closets after closets
     Reply #38 - August 21, 2009, 05:45 PM

Another one is gravity. You can't see it but you know it's there!
     Reply #39 - August 28, 2009, 10:18 PM

Good thread!  Afro

More on the "analogies":

"God: Like sugar dissolving in water - you can't see it but can taste it".
    "God knowing everything you've ever said will be played again before you on the day of judgment: Like voice traveling great distances over radio and being recorded onto a cassette player"

Reply #40 - September 27, 2009, 02:49 AM

another fallacy to add to the list

**The no true Scotsman fallacy**

see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HJrAaGJudw

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #41 - October 12, 2009, 09:20 PM

Appeal to authority fallacy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_authority

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #42 - October 14, 2009, 08:58 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB6sYnIDLdw&feature=player_profilepage#

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #43 - October 14, 2009, 09:05 PM

That tree is wrong... Roman Catholicism did not start in 1559.  It started right after the East West schism...  1054...

"Modern man's great illusion has been to convince himself that of all that has gone before he represents the zenith of human accomplishment, but can't summon the mental powers to read anything more demanding than emoticons. Fascinating. "

One very horny Turk I met on the net.
     Reply #44 - October 15, 2009, 05:35 AM

Can we get an evolution of Islam?
     Reply #45 - October 15, 2009, 12:33 PM

Its only just started happening i.e. open criticism of Islam, so we need a bit of time.

But at the moment it looking like pretty much the same video, just swap the words Christianity round for Islam

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #46 - October 15, 2009, 04:13 PM

That tree is wrong... Roman Catholicism did not start in 1559.  It started right after the East West schism...  1054...

Also it doesn't show the churches resulting from mergers of Eastern and Western Churches.

here it is..

"God is a geometer" - Plato

"God is addicted to arithmetic" - Sir James Jeans
     Reply #47 - October 15, 2009, 04:33 PM

How absurd! Gravity is measurable!
     Reply #48 - October 15, 2009, 06:02 PM

Gravity is a good argument to use when debating evolution with somebody. If someone says "Evolution is just a theory", ask them if they believe in Gravity and then tell them that Gravity is "just a theory".

Religion - The hot potato that looked delicious but ended up burning your mouth!

Knock your head on the ground, don't be miserly in your prayers, listen to your Sidi Sheikh, Allahu Akbar! - Lounes Matoub
     Reply #49 - October 23, 2009, 12:51 AM

Hi Islame,
    Interesting video. How do you find things like this?
    As I first started to watch it I was wondering if there are really people who think "True Christians have a faith that is not swayed by reason".  Then I thought, "Yes okay there are." Then I was thinking "It seems like there are Atheist who can't be swayed by reason". In the end I don't agree with the guy but it was an interesting train of thought to look at for awhile.
    Lynna

If at first you succeed...try something harder.

Failing isn't falling down. Failing is not getting back up again.
     Reply #50 - October 23, 2009, 12:58 AM

Oh come on don't be crazy.
    We can see gravity happening.
    We can't see evolution happening.

Reply #51 - October 23, 2009, 01:27 AM

Yes, we can.  How do you think we know about anti biotic resistant bacteria?

Besides, following your logic we shouldn't believe in God because we can't see him either.

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #52 - October 23, 2009, 09:28 AM

Hi Islame,
    Interesting video. How do you find things like this?

I did a video on the evolution of Islam, so under recommended videos on youtube this one came up as the title is about evolution of christianity

As I first started to watch it I was wondering if there are really people who think "True Christians have a faith that is not swayed by reason".  Then I thought, "Yes okay there are." Then I was thinking "It seems like there are Atheist who can't be swayed by reason". In the end I don't agree with the guy but it was an interesting train of thought to look at for awhile.
    Lynna

Whilst I agree that people from all walks of life might not be amenable to reason, I dont think this is a particular problem for atheists.  Atheists have come to the position that they have through science, logic & reason, whereas religion is brought about through faith and is more often than not inherited from your parents and their beliefs - even somtimes based on just a gut feeling.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #53 - October 23, 2009, 09:36 AM

I have to quote Tim Minchin again:

"those guys why think Evolution is a theory, just like Gravity give me hope that maybe, just maybe, they'll float the fuck away"
     Reply #54 - October 27, 2009, 04:30 PM

humm...

Whilst I agree that people from all walks of life might not be amenable to reason, I dont think this is a particular problem for atheists.  Atheists have come to the position that they have through science, logic & reason, whereas religion is brought about through faith and is more often than not inherited from your parents and their beliefs - even somtimes based on just a gut feeling.

So you think Atheists came to thier position through science, logic and reason. Perhaps that is so most of the time. However, I have lived in California where there are 2nd and even some many generation families of Atheists.  From my conversations with some of them, they no more considered why they are Atheists then some people from many other religions.

Perhaps for some thier religion is only because of blind faith or inherited from thier parents or the result of a gut feeling.  That however is a sad case of events when a person embraces thier religion, even be that religion Atheism, without carefully examining the evidence.

Thanks for the "recommended video on youtube" information. I was just kind of figuring that out. I can just never find stuff again once I've found it once. I supose I just need to write down a list of stuff I might want again.

Until another time.

Lynna

Reply #55 - October 27, 2009, 04:39 PM

fair enough - I sometimes forget that some families have been atheists for generations, and thus are atheists by default in the same way as muslims, christians etc..

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #56 - October 30, 2009, 06:25 PM

A great deal of this post is a good example of Tu Quoque in reply to my video about Hell (the other parts are just meaningless nonsense):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPqLpgxPxfc

thefotfoundation

I dont understand why you make the points you do.

You initially define good as including those that reject God something that most religions would disagree with.

You then ask why does God punish those that reject Him? Isnt it obvious? You seem to want choice without consequence in the next life?

If you dont believe in the next life then where is the issue?

You then say that Hell is bad so God is bad, but ignore that many religions believe in Hell when you pose your final question...

thefotfoundation

Amongst those people that you claim I believe will go to hell (Christians, Americans, Westerners - assuming that Muslims are not Westerners) because they are non-Muslim are many that believe that I will go to hell because I am a non-Christian/Jew etc etc.

Most religions are mutually exclusive, belief is a basic requirement of these.

When Muslims hold views that others also hold in counter, why do you condemn Muslims for their view?
     Reply #57 - November 01, 2009, 10:40 PM

#4. Argumentum ad novitatem - Fallacy that something is right because it's new.
    Of course Islam is the true religion, Mohammad is the most recent prophet.

what about Joseph Smith?  Wink
     Reply #58 - November 06, 2009, 01:23 AM

what about Joseph Smith?  Wink

You can't really use that with people who have the ultimate assertion that the prophet of their religion is the 'Seal of Prophets'.

"In every time and culture there are pressures to conform to the prevailing prejudices. But there are also, in every place and epoch, those who value the truth; who record the evidence faithfully. Future generations are in their debt." -Carl Sagan

Reply #59 - November 06, 2009, 08:02 AM

You can't really use that with people who have the ultimate assertion that the prophet of their religion is the 'Seal of Prophets'.

That is used as an "evidence" that because of the seal, every subsequent Prophet is an imposter.
  • Previous page 1 23 4 ... 6 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »