Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
April 16, 2024, 07:25 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Top 10 Logical Fallacies Used By Religion

(Read 124356 times)
  • 12 3 ... 6 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Top 10 Logical Fallacies Used By Religion
     OP - May 17, 2009, 03:22 PM

I found this list here:

http://godbegone.blogspot.com/2007/08/top-10-logical-fallacies-used-by.html

(Kope might be interested in number 1 and number 9 in particular)

----------------------------------------------

Top 10 Logical Fallacies Used By Religion

For those who don't know, A logical fallacy is a flawed pattern of reasoning. Something which the religious are professionals at.

In this post I'm going to list my favorite ten logical fallacies used by the religious in arguments. I'll also post their meaning and an example of what the fallacy may look like when used in an argument. I'm sure most of you free-thinkers will recognise many of these from past discussions with religious people.

#1. Argumentum ad ignorantium - Fallacy that something must be true because it has not been, Or can't be, proven false.
    If you can't prove that god doesn't exist, That means he must exist.

#2. Argumentum ad misericordia - Appealing to pity.
    Why are you so intent on destroying something that makes so many sick children happy!

#3. Argumentum ad nauseum - Fallacy that something is likely to be true the more often it is said.
    God exists, How many times do i have to tell you?

#4. Argumentum ad novitatem - Fallacy that something is right because it's new.
    Of course Islam is the true religion, Mohammad is the most recent prophet.

#5. Argumentum ad populum - Fallacy that something is correct based on the amount of people who believe it.
    Look how many people believe in Jesus, They can't all be wrong.

#6. Bifurcation - Fallacy of presenting a situation as having only two answers.
    Evolution is wrong, So that means creationism is right.

#7. Circular Logic - The premise that what you are trying to prove is evidence of it's self.
    The bible is the word of god because it says it is, And it can't be wrong, because after all, It is the word of god.

#8. Cum hoc ergo propter hoc - Fallacy of asserting that events occurring simultaneously must be causally related.
    With all these natural disasters happening how can you deny that god isn't punishing us?

#9. Plurium interrogationum - Fallacy of demanding a simplistic answer to a complex question.
    If god didn't create the universe then explain what did.

#10. Slippery slope fallacy - Fallacy that one event will inevitably lead to harmful consequences.
    If we let gays get married it will be the end of family values.

There are many more but these are my favorites and most commonly used logical fallacies in discussions with religious people.

if you have any more with examples please post them in a reply and I'll add them to the list.

Number 11 - Tu Quoque.   The fallacy that flaws in one religion can be justified by pointing to flaws in another.

Number 12 - Argumentum ad hominem.  The fallacy that insulting your opponent is a substitute for refuting their ideas, eg, you are mad/possessed by Shaitan/too stupid to understand Islam, etc.

Number 13 - Red Herring Fallacy: An argument that is irrelevant and intended to replace the lack of real arguments or to replace implicitly the subject of the discussion. e.g. (In response to "Allah cannot be most Merciful if he tortures people") "Why would this torturer give people eternal paradise?"
  • Re: Top 10 Logical Fallacies Used By Religion
     Reply #1 - May 17, 2009, 03:35 PM

Nice one, someone should sticky this if possible cause you see these all the time and I always forget the latin names!
     Reply #2 - May 17, 2009, 03:45 PM

Yes, I agree.  It would save a lot of time and energy to just point the person to this thread whenever they use one of the above, (which they do, all the goddamn time).

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #3 - May 18, 2009, 10:41 PM

Erm, what a silly list. You know why? It has totally missed out the logical fallacy of TU QUOQUE.

Time and time again muslims I've debated try to deflect argument away from Islam by claiming Jews and Christians do it too. Pathetic...

"At 8:47 I do a grenade jump off a ladder."
     Reply #4 - May 18, 2009, 11:36 PM

yes good point, perhaps swap it for one of the crappier ones. Part of the same thing, but they also do the "its better than this other religion...."

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #5 - May 19, 2009, 02:52 PM

yes good point, perhaps swap it for one of the crappier ones. Part of the same thing, but they also do the "its better than this other religion...."

We don't need to swap any of them.  We can just add more to them if we think of them.

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #6 - May 19, 2009, 02:59 PM

I don't particularly want this sticky hijacked.  I'm splitting off the irrelevant posts into Rayback's aburd thread..

Reply #7 - May 19, 2009, 03:28 PM

We can just add more to them if we think of them.

Do you think the one I had suggested was a logical fallacy?

If so, then do you think it too should it be added?

truthful person never fears debates: http://omrow.blogspot.com/
     Reply #8 - May 19, 2009, 03:30 PM

No, it wasn't and no it shouldn't.  That's why it was moved to the Absurd Doubts thread.

Reply #9 - May 19, 2009, 03:40 PM

TU QUOQUE... Muslims ...deflect argument away from Islam by claiming Jews and Christians do it too...

Afro Sooooooooooo true!

That on really pisses me off!  finmad

I would add that to the list but I can't modify the post - perhaps a mod can.
     Reply #10 - May 19, 2009, 03:56 PM

No, it wasn't and no it shouldn't.  That's why it was moved to the Absurd Doubts thread.

Can you give me a link where it is. I cant find it.

You only moved there my post complaining the deletion of the original suggestion.

Reply #11 - May 19, 2009, 04:04 PM

TU QUOQUE... Muslims ...deflect argument away from Islam by claiming Jews and Christians do it too...

Afro Sooooooooooo true!

That on really pisses me off!  finmad

I would add that to the list but I can't modify the post - perhaps a mod can.

You shouldnt have said that - I bet Rayback is going to use that one next now

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #12 - May 19, 2009, 04:18 PM

I've added tu quoque to Hassan's original post. 

@Rayback.  Your posts are all in the absurd thread somewhere.  I can't be bothered to search it, especially as, like most of your posts, it was nonsense anyway.  If you're that bothered about it, re-post it in the absurd thread.

Reply #13 - May 20, 2009, 11:52 AM

If you have moved both of my posts to another thread, then thats ok.

But if you censored it, or secretly deleted it, without notice, then that was dishonest of you.

I think any poster, as well the public, has the right to know the crime before you go and execute them.

I think you would agree that a public hanging is better than a secret hanging.

Reply #14 - May 20, 2009, 11:55 AM

I didn't delete anything Rayback, I just split off the off topic posts and merged them with the Absurd Doubts thread. 

Reply #15 - June 01, 2009, 11:24 PM

I have one I think should be added to the list. It just occured to me because of the amount of debates I have been in with Muslims who use this argument, and I'm sure you will all agree have experienced how annoying and patronizing it is:

Argumentum Ad Hominem

"An ad hominem argument, also known as argumentum ad hominem (Latin: "argument to the man", "argument against the man") consists of replying to an argument or factual claim by attacking or appealing to a characteristic or belief of the source making the argument or claim, rather than by addressing the substance of the argument or producing evidence against the claim." - From wiki

examples:
    1) Your being misguided by Shaytaan
    2) Allah has put a veil across your eyes
    3) You need to open your mind
    4) You believe this because you've been hanging around non-muslims for too long
    5) You believe this because you've strayed from the straight path

The unlived life is not worth examining.
     Reply #16 - June 01, 2009, 11:27 PM

spot on  Afro

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #17 - June 02, 2009, 10:03 AM

Latin - the dead language.

There will be no white flag above our door
     Reply #18 - June 04, 2009, 12:56 PM

"ignorantia" and "nausea" are female nouns of the first declension, so their accusative ends in -am not in -um

Do not look directly at the operational end of the device.
     Reply #19 - June 04, 2009, 06:07 PM

Latin - the dead language.

Hasn't the latin language gone through a huge revival in the last few decades?
     Reply #20 - June 11, 2009, 04:18 AM

Hasn't the latin language gone through a huge revival in the last few decades?

The only time I ever hear Latin is when it is recited in the Catholic Church or something like that. They use it for hymns and stuff.

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshiped anything but himself."
    ~Sir Richard Francis Burton

"I think religion is just like smoking: Both invented by people, addictive, harmful, and kills!"
    ~RIBS
     Reply #21 - June 11, 2009, 08:03 AM

The only time I ever hear Latin is when it is recited in the Catholic Church or something like that. They use it for hymns and stuff.

I think most kids in Italy learn Latin as a second language. But yeah, it hasn't been a mother tongue for around 900 years.
     Reply #22 - June 12, 2009, 08:24 PM

I think most kids in Italy learn Latin as a second language. But yeah, it hasn't been a mother tongue for around 900 years.

Yes, in many high schools here in Italy it's compulsory.

Reply #23 - June 16, 2009, 09:04 PM

At my high school too. Had to study it for six years (and classical Greek too). I'm still happy that they made me do that.

Everytime "science" (which is falsely called so), "discovers" something new, evolutionists have to go back and change some parts of one of their theories. Amazingly enough, no scientific discovery has ever caused Biblical creationists to have to change their stand.
     Reply #24 - June 17, 2009, 03:16 AM

Wait...you're Italian?

fuck you
     Reply #25 - June 19, 2009, 12:58 PM

At my high school too. Had to study it for six years (and classical Greek too). I'm still happy that they made me do that.

I didn't study Ancient Greek, unfortunately :\

Reply #26 - June 19, 2009, 12:59 PM

Wait...you're Italian?

Yes :(

Reply #27 - June 19, 2009, 02:16 PM

I have one I think should be added to the list. It just occured to me because of the amount of debates I have been in with Muslims who use this argument, and I'm sure you will all agree have experienced how annoying and patronizing it is:

Argumentum Ad Hominem

"An ad hominem argument, also known as argumentum ad hominem (Latin: "argument to the man", "argument against the man") consists of replying to an argument or factual claim by attacking or appealing to a characteristic or belief of the source making the argument or claim, rather than by addressing the substance of the argument or producing evidence against the claim." - From wiki

examples:
    1) Your being misguided by Shaytaan
    2) Allah has put a veil across your eyes
    3) You need to open your mind
    4) You believe this because you've been hanging around non-muslims for too long
    5) You believe this because you've strayed from the straight path

I was just about to mention this one too. I'm surprised it isn't on the list already.
     Reply #28 - July 07, 2009, 05:01 AM

Rabbis, Priests, Mullahs and Monks
    they're nothing but a bunch of
    wondering mystics and lunatics.
    Charles

There will be no white flag above our door
     Reply #29 - July 10, 2009, 02:13 AM

I'm trying to work out what the fallacy is when religious creationists use the following argument:

"Humans couldn't have evolved from monkeys because then monkeys would no longer exist"

The form of it is something like: If X came from Y then all Y would now be X

That is obviously fallacious but what is the name of the fallacy?

The unlived life is not worth examining.
  • 12 3 ... 6 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »