Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Yusuf Islam on the Colbert Report

(Read 15551 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Yusuf Islam on the Colbert Report
     OP - May 15, 2009, 06:24 PM

I haven't watched it myself yet. Gonna be pretty interesting I'm sure.

http://www.comedycentral.com/colbertreport/full-episodes/index.jhtml?episodeId=227661

German ex-Muslim forumMy YouTubeList of Ex-Muslims
    Wikis: en de fr ar tr
    CEMB-Chat
    I'm on an indefinite break...
  • Re: Yusuf Islam on the Colbert Report
     Reply #1 - May 15, 2009, 06:29 PM

Looks like it isn't available to Great Britons.

I'm trying to youtube it but, damn, youtube is terribly slow for some reason..

The unlived life is not worth examining.
     Reply #2 - May 15, 2009, 06:48 PM

You can try: www.ktunnel.com

Islam: where idiots meet terrorists.
     Reply #3 - May 15, 2009, 06:50 PM

You can try: www.ktunnel.com

...and then what?

Reply #4 - May 15, 2009, 06:53 PM

You said that the video isn't available to the UK, so if you copy/paste link into the proxy cheater, you may have a chance to view the video. There are some cases of YouTube videos being unavailable in certain countries, the proxy cheater works in such videos, so I thought it might work here as well.

Islam: where idiots meet terrorists.
     Reply #5 - May 15, 2009, 07:01 PM

Ok, done that and it looks like it's either loading or it doesn't work. It's different though because the presenter doesn't appear with a message saying "sorry Great Britain you can't watch full-length videos of..........."

Work for anyone else?

Reply #6 - May 15, 2009, 07:44 PM

Nope can't get it either - if anyone can see it, I'd be interested in a quick synopsis Smiley
     Reply #7 - May 15, 2009, 07:50 PM

Rather dull actually.
    Colbert complains that he let his audience down by disappearing for 30 years.
    Yusuf talks of a higher purpose.
    Colbert says Muslims scare me
    Yusuf says Muslims are peaceful but there has been a blip in the understanding.
    Then he plays a mellow song.

My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." -- Mike Tyson
     Reply #8 - May 15, 2009, 07:56 PM

Yeah, it wasn't very interesting. Perfect summary from Bob.  Afro

German ex-Muslim forumMy YouTubeList of Ex-Muslims
    Wikis: en de fr ar tr
    CEMB-Chat
    I'm on an indefinite break...
     Reply #9 - May 15, 2009, 08:28 PM

Rather dull actually.

ok, thanks bob
     Reply #10 - May 15, 2009, 09:50 PM

I thought it was deep. Yusuf went noticeable without his last name, just being introduced as Yusuf; it seemed like he didn't want to touch on the whole "Muslim thing". He said he had hinted in lyrics that he was going (from making music). I thought his lyrics said alot.

My transcription:

Quote from: Road Singer ? Yusuf

Road singer came to town, long cape and hat, people stood and stared and closed their doors as he passed. He strolled the empty street kids banged on tin pans, and the panting dogs began to bark as the road singer sang:

Where do you go, where do you go- when hearts are closed, when a friend become a stranger nobody wants to know

Where do you go, where do you go- when the world turns dark, and the light of truth is blown out, and the roads are blocked
    (unclear) ?palace doors between the barrels and sacks a child?s face peeped out a gave a gave a smile, and ran bag

Behind the misty glass on a window pane a little finger drew a perfect heart, and your name

Where do you go, where do you go- in a world filled with fright; With only a song to warm you through the night

Where do you go, where do you go- after lies are told, and the light of truth is blown out, and the world is cold

Road singer rode on to another land though the people spoke a different tongue, they?d understand they showed him how to share, took him by the hand, showed him the path to heaven through the desert sand

Where do you go, where do you go to find happiness, in a world filled with hatred- tears

Where do you go, where do you go to find happiness if no one cares? Everbodys lost, looking for theirs.

I chose to get circumcised at 17, don't tell me I never believed.
     Reply #11 - May 15, 2009, 10:03 PM

Rather dull actually.

Just finished seeing it! I liked the song though! I was always a big fan of Cat Stevens!!

here is a snap shot of the video...

lyrics:

Roadsinger came to town, long cape and hat,
    people stood and stared then closed their doors, as he passed,
    he strolled the empty street, kids banged on tin cans,
    then the panting dogs began to bark, as the Roadsinger sang

Where do you go, where do you go,
    when hearts are closed,
    when a friend becomes a stranger,
    nobody wants to know

when the world turns dark,
    and the light of truth is blown out,
    and the roads are blocked

He stopped by a stall, between the barrels and sacks,
    a child's face peeped out and gave a smile, and ran back,
    behind a misty glass, on a windowpane,
    a little finger drew a perfect heart, and a name

in a world filled with fright,
    only a song to warm you, through the night
    after lies are told,
    and the light of truth is blown out,
    and the night is cold

Mmm.... Mmmm.... Mmmm.... Mmmm....

Roadsinger rode on, to another land,
    though the people spoke a different tongue, it understand,
    they showed him how to share, and took him by the hand,
    showed him the path to Heaven, through the desert sand

to find happiness,
    in a world filled with hatred, (Cheers)
    where do you go, where do you go,
    if no one cares,
    and everybody's lost, looking for theirs

Reply #12 - May 15, 2009, 11:18 PM

Here's the song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilWPkgvDyNc
     Reply #13 - May 16, 2009, 09:35 AM

Official vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfgdqk0QXm0

Reply #14 - May 16, 2009, 11:30 AM

He looks like a member of ZZ top with his shades on!

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #15 - May 16, 2009, 12:52 PM

I like it - the words are nice too  Afro

Reply #16 - May 16, 2009, 03:10 PM

I'm convinced this song has something to say about murtads, maybe even inspired by you yes. Maybe Yusuf's come to a realisation he doesn't dare express? Or maybe I'm reading what I want into his lyrics Grin.

Reply #17 - May 16, 2009, 03:19 PM

I'm convinced this song has something to say about murtads, maybe even inspired by you yes. Maybe Yusuf's come to a realisation he doesn't dare express? Or maybe I'm reading what I want into his lyrics Grin.

I think it's about him and his journey.

I have no doubt he has been affected by hearing about me - it must have been a shock for him and he probably feels disappointed with me. But more important than this, his own personal journey has taken him further away from the literalist views he once followed and towards a more mystical understanding.

I think he'd like to be a bridge between Muslims and non-Muslims - maybe he personally feel disaffected and in-between - but I know he would love to be able to bring Muslims and Non-Muslims together (and perhaps in that way reconcile his own internal conflicts.)

Reply #18 - May 16, 2009, 03:26 PM

I think he'd like to be a bridge between Muslims and non-Muslims - maybe he personally feel disaffected and in-between - but I know he would love to be able to bring Muslims and Non-Muslims together (and perhaps in that way reconcile his own internal conflicts.)

Well if that was the case, he should never have advocated the death sentence for Rushdie-something not many of us did, even as Muslims..

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #19 - May 16, 2009, 08:07 PM

Well if that was the case, he should never have advocated the death sentence for Rushdie-something not many of us did, even as Muslims..

My sentiments exactly. It's just this one fact alone that disgusts me about Yusuf Islam.

There was a question time once on BBC where they were debating the Rushdie controversy and Yusuf Islam said he should be killed and one of Rushdie's close mates asked a nearby police officer that she thought he ought to arrest this man. The police officer was stumped, LOL!

Reply #20 - May 16, 2009, 08:09 PM

Here it is, folks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD9w3rU5McA&feature=PlayList&p=32447373504E2640&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=66

Reply #21 - May 16, 2009, 08:15 PM

I realise he may have changed his view on this now, but at least should have sent an apology to Rushdie for desiring his death before making videos swanning around in a hippy campa van.

It doesnt wash, sorry Yusuf/Cat or whatever you are now.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #22 - May 16, 2009, 08:19 PM

I realise he may have changed his view on this now, but at least should have sent an apology to Rushdie for desiring his death before making videos swanning around in a hippy campa van.

He denies ever having called for the death of Salman Rushdie. Not an apology, just the typical defensive mantra you would expect to hear to save his own backside.

After being such an ardent supporter of the fatwa, you would have thought he would be deeply ashamed and made a public statement condemning anyone who desires to kill Salman Rushdie as he most certainly knows there are many people with such intentions.

Reply #23 - May 16, 2009, 08:30 PM

Horrible!

I'm sure Yusuf hates that video.
     Reply #24 - May 16, 2009, 08:34 PM

He denies ever having called for the death of Salman Rushdie. Not an apology, just the typical defensive mantra you would expect to hear to save his own backside.

After being such an ardent supporter of the fatwa, you would have thought he would be deeply ashamed and made a public statement condemning anyone who desires to kill Salman Rushdie as he most certainly knows there are many people with such intentions.

I can't argue with that.

Having known Yusuf, I have to feel some sympathy for him - he is not a bad guy. But I guess we all have to face the things we have said and done - wether we like it or not.

It would be better if he just admitted he was wrong and apologised. I'm sure the public would be quite forgiving if he did.

Reply #25 - May 17, 2009, 12:11 PM

So how do you know Yusuf?

Reply #26 - May 17, 2009, 12:38 PM

Islamia School. You haven't read (or watched) his story?

Reply #27 - May 17, 2009, 05:44 PM

J4m3z, thanks for finding and posting this video.

I was a big fan of Cat Stevens' music... Harold and Maude is still one of my all time favourite films and it featured a lot of his hits in the soundtrack.

To see him become Muslim was bad enough, but to see how rabidly extremist he became is beyond bad, it is disgusting, disappointing and completely wrong, period. How many young boys and girls did his fundamentalism push deeper into literalist Islam, I wonder.

I can never respect him, can not listen to his old music and I will never forgive him for being the asshole he has shown himself to be. He can kiss Colbert's ass all day long but until he explicitly APOLOGISES as vehemently for his past actions and words, with the same fervor he used to have when spewing this stuff, until then, he is just another pathetic example of pathetic Islam.  furious

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #28 - May 17, 2009, 05:57 PM

Harold and Maude is still one of my all time favourite films

Excellent movie  Afro
     Reply #29 - May 17, 2009, 07:36 PM

Looking for a good movie to watch - is Harold & Maude worth watching?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »