Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Press Releases (WIP)

(Read 8190 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Press Releases (WIP)
     OP - May 07, 2009, 11:48 AM

I get emails from the MCB occasionally (not sure how they got my email addy) and below is the latest one about an arson attack on a mosque in Luton.

http://www.mcb.org.uk/media/presstext.php?ann_id=348

I just thought it would be a great idea if the COEM also released press realeses like this condemning such behaviour (as I'm sure we all do) and insist it be published in the media along with the MCB press releases.

I just think that would be such an awesome message to send out to Muslims (and quite funny too) ppl would ask, "The Council of EX-Muslims?"  Cheesy  and it would show we are against racist attacks etc... and ALSO for freedom of (and from) religion etc...

Just thought it might change some Muslims perceptions of us (also show that we exist).

What do you think?
  • Re: Press Releases (WIP)
     Reply #1 - May 07, 2009, 11:53 AM

Sounds fine to me.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #2 - May 07, 2009, 12:06 PM

Sounds like a good idea, as the bigots will be expecting us to be on their side.  It may also give us some weight in the future, and increase awareness of our organisation and forum amongst disaffected Muslims.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #3 - May 07, 2009, 05:27 PM

Sounds good, I support that idea.

German ex-Muslim forumMy YouTubeList of Ex-Muslims
    Wikis: en de fr ar tr
    CEMB-Chat
    I'm on an indefinite break...
     Reply #4 - May 07, 2009, 06:12 PM

Great idea. Visibility of former Muslims is very important in
    (a) reducing and removing the stigma among Muslims (over time) of leaving the religion
    (b) challenging the supposed authority of Mullahs
    (c) demonstrating that lightning bolts don't come out of the sky for you when you declare to yourself and others that you are no longer a Muslim
    (d) differentiating between the religion Islam and the various cultures that people associate with Islam - e.g. the South Asian culture which is what many Pakistani and Indian Muslims associate with Islam, Persian culture which gets jumbled up with Islamic religion etc.
    (e) allowing for intellectual debates about Islam and other religions just by the sheer fact that once we are visible as individuals and as an organized group, we can no longer be dismissed or ignored
    (f) showing that not everyone who leaves Islam automatically becomes Christian or Hindu (which is an assumption many Muslims make)
    (g) bringing to light the crimes committed against those who choose to leave Islam

Does the CoEM or any other Ex Muslim organization have an active press release system or public representation already?

Because I see more and more Muslims becoming disenchanted with Islam and they don't always know where to go to get support and information. I've referred a few people to this board and the CoEM website and I think Maryam and Ayaan Hirsi Ali's voices are the only ones that I see actually being covered in the media. But 2 people can't be expected to carry the weight of an entire, growing community of people. Due to the lack of visibility and support among the larger communities we live in (especially in secular countries), some ex Muslims have nobody but the right wing elements who are willing to support them. This is why some assume that we ex muslims are anti-Muslims when in reality I'd say we are more anti-Islam, the ideology, not the people who are victims themselves of the ideology and its beneficiaries, the Mullahs and "scholars" and weapons makers.

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #5 - May 07, 2009, 07:09 PM

Great idea. Visibility of former Muslims is very important in
    (a) reducing and removing the stigma among Muslims (over time) of leaving the religion
    (b) challenging the supposed authority of Mullahs
    (c) demonstrating that lightning bolts don't come out of the sky for you when you declare to yourself and others that you are no longer a Muslim
    (d) differentiating between the religion Islam and the various cultures that people associate with Islam - e.g. the South Asian culture which is what many Pakistani and Indian Muslims associate with Islam, Persian culture which gets jumbled up with Islamic religion etc.
    (e) allowing for intellectual debates about Islam and other religions just by the sheer fact that once we are visible as individuals and as an organized group, we can no longer be dismissed or ignored
    (f) showing that not everyone who leaves Islam automatically becomes Christian or Hindu (which is an assumption many Muslims make)
    (g) bringing to light the crimes committed against those who choose to leave Islam

Does the CoEM or any other Ex Muslim organization have an active press release system or public representation already?

Because I see more and more Muslims becoming disenchanted with Islam and they don't always know where to go to get support and information. I've referred a few people to this board and the CoEM website and I think Maryam and Ayaan Hirsi Ali's voices are the only ones that I see actually being covered in the media. But 2 people can't be expected to carry the weight of an entire, growing community of people. Due to the lack of visibility and support among the larger communities we live in (especially in secular countries), some ex Muslims have nobody but the right wing elements who are willing to support them. This is why some assume that we ex muslims are anti-Muslims when in reality I'd say we are more anti-Islam, the ideology, not the people who are victims themselves of the ideology and its beneficiaries, the Mullahs and "scholars" and weapons makers.

You articulated perfectly what was in my mind Afro

The CoEMB main site does have a section for press releases:

http://www.ex-muslim.org.uk/indexPressreleases.html

I will send a link to this thread to Maryam as she doesn't pop in that much.

Reply #6 - May 07, 2009, 08:19 PM

I will send a link to this thread to Maryam as she doesn't pop in that much.

Good idea - it would be nice to hear from her, as well as her opinion on these comments .. Afro

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #7 - May 07, 2009, 09:26 PM

Just got this reply:

Maryam Namazie is away until May 11. If this is an emergency please contact ... Otherwise, Maryam will respond to your email when she returns. Thank you.

Reply #8 - May 07, 2009, 09:44 PM

Probably worth just using the general contact email rather than emailing Maryam directly. Also I suppose we should get them to update that moderators listing on their contact page.

http://ex-muslim.org.uk/indexContact.html

Reply #9 - May 13, 2009, 05:13 PM

From Maryam:

Hi Hassan

Good idea but it is only a question of time for us - there are so many events and issues we should be issuing releases on but aren't!

It is something I know we should do and hopefully will do in the future.

Reply #10 - May 13, 2009, 06:29 PM

Sounds good, I support that idea.

Seconded.
    Removing the stigma of those who leave Islam is needed and by correcting people who assume we are against Muslims will help alot.

Blind faith is an ironic gift to return to the Creator of human intelligence

Reply #11 - May 13, 2009, 07:12 PM

From Maryam:

Hi Hassan

Good idea but it is only a question of time for us - there are so many events and issues we should be issuing releases on but aren't!

It is something I know we should do and hopefully will do in the future.

Why not - I assume the reason she is not doing it is manpower?  If that is the case we could help draft these press releases on a thread then all she would then have to do is sign-off?

Hassan- what do you think?  If you agree can you forward this note onto her via your special Batphone and let us know what she says.. I dont have the time, but am happy to help begin drawing up a process and procedure for it

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #12 - May 13, 2009, 09:37 PM

Yep. I'm sure the members here can knock up something good.

Reply #13 - May 13, 2009, 09:43 PM

Well the Luton Mosque moment has kinda passed now, so it's a bit late.

But if anyone is willing to knock up press releases as and when smthg goes down then I say go for it and I'll be happy to pass it on to Maryam - though anyone can use the Batphone her email address Wink
     Reply #14 - May 13, 2009, 09:47 PM

Lets keep this thread then for anyone who feels strongly about any topical issues and wants help putting together press releases  Afro

Hassan - is Maryam aware of this thread, it would be nice of her to acknowledge her presence here occasionally.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #15 - May 13, 2009, 09:48 PM

I can't remember offhand but does the Council have a press officer as such?

• Re: Press Release
     Reply #16 - May 13, 2009, 09:54 PM

Given that you ask the question, we can either assume he is very bad at his job, or take that as proof that it doesnt have one.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #17 - May 13, 2009, 09:56 PM

Lets keep this thread then for anyone who feels strongly about any topical issues and wants help putting together press releases  Afro

Hassan - is Maryam aware of this thread, it would be nice of her to acknowledge her presence here occasionally.

Yes she read it - but I think she is just a very busy person (and mum) and doesn't have much time to post.
     Reply #18 - May 13, 2009, 09:57 PM

I don't know.
     Reply #19 - May 13, 2009, 10:05 PM

I'll move this to the CEMB board and sticky it.

Reply #20 - May 16, 2009, 11:29 PM

What about also updates/press releases in asking folks to support charities for example, like having a "donate to Pakistan" I mean since the country is in need of donations, due to the mess the Taliban have created. I don't know it could be an idea.   
     Reply #21 - June 09, 2009, 12:09 PM

We could always ask Maryam if they need help with the press releases.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »