Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Lights on the way
by akay
Today at 04:40 PM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 02:45 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Hello & آداب from a Pakistani Secular Humanist (Atheist)

(Read 12002 times)
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Hello & آداب from a Pakistani Secular Humanist (Atheist)
     Reply #30 - May 05, 2009, 10:10 AM

Have you noticed in her office, she has a picture of  the infamous Hassan Nasrallah leader of Hezbollah? That dude is really cool! I think he keeps the Zionists in check. He is a legend

Huh? Arn't Hezbollah the bad guys?

Not as bad as the Zionists, with illegal settlements...

Can't they all just get along?

You need to go back to understand the situation. Fact of the matter is, most Jews think of Arabs as inferior, as they are descendent of a concubine of Abraham's, number two Jews think that land was promised to them by their mythological deity. Three the Muslim Palestinians are not any better with Islam and Jews being called pigs and stuff, but we know Jews did leave in peace under Muslim rule for a long time. I think the Jews need to give Jerusalem back to the Muslims, and then maybe there can be a two state solution. 

Have we ever seen in history a scenario where Muslims are living under Jewish rule? And if so, why wouldn't that work out?

The problem is not of rule, the problem is displacing population whose land you are building settlements on illegally.

Imagine, you've been thrown out of your house, and I give you a room in my house, and eventually you start taking over my house and kick me out and build wall barring me from entering my own house. This is reality of the situation:

(Clicky for piccy!)

But what if I got thrown out of my house and someone with power gave me a room in your house, which I wasn't aware of, and you thought I was a thief, so you started attacking me, then I would have to defend myself against you, and if you won't sit down and talk about this, but instead you persist in attacking me, then I have no choice but to keep attacking you until I am safe, and that would probably mean kicking you out of your own house.

Although, I suppose if I told this person with power that I would like to be given a room in your house, knowing full well that you already own it, then that might be a different matter....

The unlived life is not worth examining.
     Reply #31 - May 06, 2009, 12:44 PM

Welcome, humanist.

How does it feel to jump the ship?

truthful person never fears debates: http://omrow.blogspot.com/
     Reply #32 - May 06, 2009, 04:41 PM

Welcome another Pakistani - we have had a few join recently, Pakistan will soon become AtheistStan  dance

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #33 - May 06, 2009, 04:46 PM

Welcome another Pakistani - we have had a few join recently, Pakistan will soon become AtheistStan  dance

Yes, it seems Pakistanis are becoming a majority on this forum now!

Pak sar zameen shadabad!

Religion - The hot potato that looked delicious but ended up burning your mouth!

Knock your head on the ground, don't be miserly in your prayers, listen to your Sidi Sheikh, Allahu Akbar! - Lounes Matoub
     Reply #34 - May 06, 2009, 04:56 PM

Pak sar zameen shadabad!

Well it's about bloody time, since Pakistanis are the majority of the Muslims in the UK.

But when you take over the forum - just don't forget it was a Moroccan and an Egyptian who started it all Tongue
     Reply #35 - May 06, 2009, 05:04 PM

Pak sar zameen shadabad!

Well it's about bloody time, since Pakistanis are the majority of the Muslims in the UK.

But when you take over the forum - just don't forget it was a Moroccan and an Egyptian who started it all Tongue

lets do something first they took your jobs and then this forum and then god knows what?

?Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion.?

Steven Weinberg quotes
     Reply #36 - May 06, 2009, 05:07 PM

Pak sar zameen shadabad!

Don't worry! The Moroccan and Egyptian will always be remembered and there won't be a Pakistani coup, despite the fact that that is what we are best at!

Seeing as there are so many Pakistanis now, are there any fellow MPs, or am I alone?

Religion - The hot potato that looked delicious but ended up burning your mouth!

Knock your head on the ground, don't be miserly in your prayers, listen to your Sidi Sheikh, Allahu Akbar! - Lounes Matoub
     Reply #37 - May 06, 2009, 05:12 PM

MPs are fake Punjabis, they are not even real Punjabis, I generally don't get along with make Kasmiris and MPs. The woman are cool though.
     Reply #38 - May 06, 2009, 05:16 PM

MPs are fake Punjabis, they are not even real Punjabis, I generally don't get along with make Kasmiris and MPs. The woman are cool though.

What do you mean they are fake Punjabis? because they speak a local punjabi dialect? The way I see it, Lahoris, and Indian Sikhs speak the Punjabi equivelant of the Queen's English, and MPs speak the Punjabi equivelant of Yorkshire.

Reply #39 - May 06, 2009, 05:29 PM

What do you mean they are fake Punjabis? because they speak a local punjabi dialect? The way I see it, Lahoris, and Indian Sikhs speak the Punjabi equivelant of the Queen's English, and MPs speak the Punjabi equivelant of Yorkshire.

No, it is not that, I am from Pindi and speak dialect its just that they are generally backward, and not very independent, very conservative too compared to other Punjabis.   
     Reply #40 - May 06, 2009, 05:51 PM

No, it is not that, I am from Pindi and speak dialect its just that they are generally backward, and not very independent, very conservative too compared to other Punjabis.   

I wouldn't say they are backward and conservative. They are just typical, rural poor. Its not their fault. Whereabouts in Pindi are you from?

Reply #41 - May 06, 2009, 05:53 PM

ill pm you
     Reply #42 - May 06, 2009, 06:49 PM

I once heard about a Mirpuri wedding where you had to sign your name when you entered, along with the amount of financial contribution you were making towards the bride - i.e. name & shame those low payers!

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #43 - May 06, 2009, 06:55 PM

I once heard about a Mirpuri wedding where you had to sign your name when you entered, along with the amount of financial contribution you were making towards the bride - i.e. name & shame those low payers!

Yeah those are negative traits about them, they're so stingy with money too. They curse at their own mothers too, and stuff like "ma tardi puddi mara" I mean who says that to his mom?
     Reply #44 - May 06, 2009, 07:15 PM

You're taking it out of context! And its not just Mirpuris, people from Pindi and Islamabad do it as well. It is basically a wedding present that people give, instead of giving toasters and rubbish like that. And they don't have to give it but it is besti if you don't. And the reason they write the name down is so they know who gave what, like when you have a little note attached to the toaster that you give someone when they get married.

Reply #45 - May 06, 2009, 07:20 PM

Yeah those are negative traits about them, they're so stingy with money too. They curse at their own mothers too, and stuff like "ma tardi puddi mara" I mean who says that to his mom?

Erm.... Noone. Even Mirpuris.

Reply #46 - May 06, 2009, 07:22 PM

How am I taking it out of context - thats exactly how it happened and how my mate felt.

When you give a toaster, you give it with a card to congratulate the bride & bridegroom.  Not only do I feel that giving cash is impersonal, but to make you sign a list along with stating the amount is very crude.  

IMO we should change the adage "its the thought that counts", to "its the number of zero's that counts"

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #47 - May 06, 2009, 07:22 PM

Erm.... Noone. Even Mirpuris.

Are you a Mirpuri?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #48 - May 06, 2009, 07:25 PM

How am I taking it out of context - thats exactly how it happened and how my mate felt.

When you give a toaster, you give it with a card to congratulate the bride & bridegroom.  Not only do I feel that giving cash is impersonal, but to make you sign a list along with stating the amount is very crude.  

IMO we should change the adage "its the thought that counts", to "its the number of zero's that counts"

Its just different cultures have different ways of doing things. And that is the Pakistani way of giving a wedding present. And they don't make you sign in and pay money and don't let you in if you don't pay. They have a man in the corner sat at the table and you go up to him and give him what you are giving.

Oh, and yes. I am mirpuri. lol. I thought you were mirpuri as well for some reason!

Reply #49 - May 06, 2009, 07:32 PM

Its just different cultures have different ways of doing things.

Yes, and this cultural attribute is a very crude way of extorting cash in a nice way
    And that is the Pakistani way of giving a wedding present.

No, its the mirpuri way

And they don't make you sign in and pay money and don't let you in if you don't pay. They have a man in the corner sat at the table and you go up to him and give him what you are giving.

I know, thats not what I said
    Oh, and yes. I am mirpuri. lol.

I figured by your defensiveness

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #50 - May 06, 2009, 08:09 PM

Its just different cultures have different ways of doing things.

Yes, and this cultural attribute is a very crude way of extorting cash in a nice way
    And that is the Pakistani way of giving a wedding present.

No, its the mirpuri way

And they don't make you sign in and pay money and don't let you in if you don't pay. They have a man in the corner sat at the table and you go up to him and give him what you are giving.

I know, thats not what I said
    Oh, and yes. I am mirpuri. lol.

I figured by your defensiveness

Who the fuck do you think you are?!
    We were just having a normal light hearted discussion about Mirpuris, and you butt in saying that Mirpuris are backwards, not because of any real reason but because of a custom at weddings that just happens to be different to what happens in western weddings! (I have been to Lahori weddings as well where the same thing happens, so to just say it is Mirpuris is ignorant).

I have met your type a million times before. The middle class Pakistanis who think they are really "modern" and enlightened but are actually full of shit, obsessed with class, and look down on the "village idiots" (the rural poor).

Reply #51 - May 06, 2009, 09:19 PM

They wern't saying that people are forced to give money... but come on, be honest, if someone was to give nothing, it would be a matter of minutes before he/she becomes the talk of the town. I think that is the problem a number of people wanted to raise.

And I don't think these same people are trying to say that it is only MPs that backchat in their communities. My girlfriend is Indian and she can't stand the amount of backchat that goes on in her community. She can't go home without seeing people whisper as they go past her.. I see the same in my hometown too. It's either a Central Asian cultural thing or a Muslim community by-product. I can see why it would be the latter. If your doing something haraam, everybody wants to know about it so that they can get the satisfaction of moaning, "assssstaaghfirrruuuulllaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhghhgrgrhgrrhghghhhgrhghghgrhgrhghghrghgh*spit*ghrgrrhghghrghgrhrghrghrgrgrhgrhgh"

Reply #52 - May 06, 2009, 09:23 PM

Something for all to enjoy Smiley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd-IOrk7VT4

Reply #53 - May 06, 2009, 09:25 PM

They wern't saying that people are forced to give money... but come on, be honest, if someone was to give nothing, it would be a matter of minutes before he/she becomes the talk of the town. I think that is the problem a number of people wanted to raise.

And I don't think these same people are trying to say that it is only MPs that backchat in their communities. My girlfriend is Indian and she can't stand the amount of backchat that goes on in her community. She can't go home without seeing people whisper as they go past her.. I see the same in my hometown too. It's either a Central Asian cultural thing or a Muslim community by-product. I can see why it would be the latter. If your doing something haraam, everybody wants to know about it so that they can get the satisfaction of moaning, "assssstaaghfirrruuuulllaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhghhgrgrhgrrhghghhhgrhghghgrhgrhghghrghgh*spit*ghrgrrhghghrghgrhrghrghrgrgrhgrhgh"

Totally, I just got a bit wound up at the guy's arrogance, trying to make out Mirpuris were backwards because of a little thing like that. That is just the way that the people do wedding gifts! I went to a white, English wedding in the summer, and my friend asked everybody to give money and gift vouchers. Was she being backwards? And I know that if I had not brought anything, it would have been embarresing for me. It is just how things are done in Indian and Pakistani culture, and it is no better or worse than giving toasters and food processors!

Anyway, it was a light hearted discussion at one point!

Reply #54 - May 06, 2009, 09:46 PM

The middle class Pakistanis who think they are really "modern" and enlightened but are actually full of shit, obsessed with class, and look down on the "village idiots" (the rural poor).

Grow up - I look down on stupid elements of any culture (I never mentioned anything about rural poor, that must be down to your own inner inferiority complexes), and dont just say "hey, its a custom".  You into female genital mutilation also?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #55 - May 06, 2009, 09:52 PM

It is just how things are done in Indian and Pakistani culture, and it is no better or worse than giving toasters and food processors!

I have corrected you already once, it does not happen in Indian & Pakistani culture.  I have never seen a queue of people signing names against the amounts they are contributing. 

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #56 - May 06, 2009, 09:59 PM

The middle class Pakistanis who think they are really "modern" and enlightened but are actually full of shit, obsessed with class, and look down on the "village idiots" (the rural poor).

Grow up - I look down on stupid elements of any culture (I never mentioned anything about rural poor, that must be down to your own inner inferiority complexes), and dont just say "hey, its a custom".  You into female genital mutilation also?

The reason I got wound up was because you were being antagonistic and accusing me of being defensive. Why would I be defensive over such a trivial matter? And I also got wound up because I knew where you were coming from. I have met many stuck-up Pakistanis and I know how stuck-up Pakistanis can be. You were saying that Mirpuris are backwards because they give cash as wedding presents rather than physical objects

And yes, giving money to somebody when they get married is just as bad as female genital mutilation!

Reply #57 - May 06, 2009, 10:12 PM

The reason I got wound up was because you were being antagonistic and accusing me of being defensive.

Accusing somebody of being defensive is not being antagonistic.  I was accusing you of being defensive, as you were the only one on this forum who defended such this pathetic aspect of your culture.
    Why would I be defensive over such a trivial matter?

Precisely.  I did not know you were an MP, but as you were defending such a ridiculous way of giving a 'gift', I could only think you must be an MP and you were being defensive, as you saw nothing wrong with it.  And I was right.
    And I also got wound up because I knew where you were coming from. I have met many stuck-up Pakistanis and I know how stuck-up Pakistanis can be. You were saying that Mirpuris are backwards because they give cash as wedding presents rather than physical objects

Where did I say MPs were backwards.  Another assumption, that made you jump to the wrong conclusion.  Its not the cash giving that is unusual, its the signing and not expecting anyone to bring a gift.  Also what makes you think I am Pakistani - is that another conclusion you have jumped too?
    And yes, giving money to somebody when they get married is just as bad as female genital mutilation!

Is it -  Or are you missing the point again?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #58 - May 07, 2009, 03:56 AM

Mirpuris need to thank the MANGLA DAM, rather than Allah subhanwata'allah, that got them into the UK  grin12 grin12 grin12 grin12
     bunny

and no I'm a Urdu-speaking Muhajir Smiley JEAY ALTAF BHAI !!  parrot

Pakistan Zindabad? ya Pakistan sey Zinda bhaag?

Long Live Pakistan? Or run with your lives from Pakistan?
     Reply #59 - May 07, 2009, 07:59 AM

I didnt know about the ManglaDam, so I googled it.  Its interesting, here is what I found..

http://www.englandspastforeveryone.org.uk/Counties/Bristol/Projects/EthnicMinorities/Items/ManglaDam?Session/@id=D_mGSEmtMxyTLuIrdJ5WT9

Q. What has the Mangla Dam in Pakistan have to do with the fact that many of Bristol's taxi drivers are 'Mirpuris' from Pakistan?
    A. Many Bristol Pakistanis originally came from Azad Kashmir, a region in the northwest of Pakistan. Most were born in the district of Mirpur within that region. Because Pakistan had been left without adequate access to water as a direct result of the 1947/8 settlement separating India from Pakistan, the Mangla dam in Mirpur was planned.,

The completed Dam was to flood the city of Mirpur and surrounding villages and the wholesale compulsory purchase of land in these areas displaced many thousands of people. To avert widespread unrest, some of those displaced were offered financial compensation as well as passports, which before then, had been difficult for rural people to obtain and thus began a large-scale exodus to all over the world including Britain. Mirpuris already established the UK felt bound to afford traditional hospitality to those displaced. According to one source, Mirpuris constitute the largest group amongst Bristol?s first generation of ?Pakistanis? .

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »