Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Lights on the way
by akay
Today at 04:40 PM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 02:45 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: A Glossary of terms for western kaffir

(Read 15546 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • A Glossary of terms for western kaffir
     OP - May 01, 2009, 11:10 AM

Hi all , im an avid reader of a great many posts here in my endeavour to understand more the ex-muslim perspective. However I have come accross what I assume are arabic words whose understanding is sometimes essential to comprehend  what is being discused.
    So I was wondering if someone would indulge making up a glossary of the  words most  often used to allow  the uninitiated to follow the discussions.
     I dont mean all at once , but perhaps if you post  using certain words you could visit this this thread and add the translation(s) or meanings .

For example
    Awrah. From context im assuming it translates roughly as -  naughty bits    Smiley   

I think this would be of help to many others on here. Thanks

According to the polls only 1.6 % of Americans are athiests. So what gives you the right to call the other 80% morons?'
  • Re: A Glossary of terms for western kaffir
     Reply #1 - May 01, 2009, 11:19 AM

That's roughly correct, although if you want a little more accuracy for men only the naughty bits are naughty whereas all bits of women are naughty. They're just like that. Women are naughty. Blame Allah. It's his fault.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #2 - May 01, 2009, 11:21 AM

Actually this idea has been floated before and it's a good one. We've just never got around to compiling it.

Reply #3 - May 01, 2009, 11:28 AM

That's roughly correct, although if you want a little more accuracy for men only the naughty bits are naughty whereas all bits of women are naughty. They're just like that. Women are naughty. Blame Allah. It's his fault.

Dear Marjory
    I love naughty women , am i  a closet muslim ?
     Wink

According to the polls only 1.6 % of Americans are athiests. So what gives you the right to call the other 80% morons?'
     Reply #4 - May 01, 2009, 11:31 AM

Whenever you come across a word you don't know, ask the meaning in this thread? And it will get added to the list of words you should know. Smiley

I chose to get circumcised at 17, don't tell me I never believed.
     Reply #5 - May 01, 2009, 05:52 PM

Funnily enough, the word awrah has become aurat in Urdu. It means, simply, 'woman'. So basically a woman is a symbol of shame. Terrible, what!

"At 8:47 I do a grenade jump off a ladder."
     Reply #6 - May 01, 2009, 06:05 PM

So what is Adami then, would that mean decdent of Adam, as the word Adami is used for man in urdu/hindi.
     Reply #7 - May 01, 2009, 06:08 PM

Its funny how a woman's purdah is all her body except her face and hands (but some people say that it includes her face) but a man's purdah is from his navel to his knees! I have heard people defending how women must dress by saying "yeah, but men have to cover themselves too!" I don't think you can compare the whole entire body with the navel to the knees!

So what is Adami then, would that mean decdent of Adam, as the word Adami is used for man in urdu/hindi.

I've only just realised the etymology of that word! It never occurred to me before! Thanks Tut!

Religion - The hot potato that looked delicious but ended up burning your mouth!

Knock your head on the ground, don't be miserly in your prayers, listen to your Sidi Sheikh, Allahu Akbar! - Lounes Matoub
     Reply #8 - May 01, 2009, 06:26 PM

Its funny how a woman's purdah is all her body except her face and hands (but some people say that it includes her face) but a man's purdah is from his navel to his knees! I have heard people defending how women must dress by saying "yeah, but men have to cover themselves too!" I don't think you can compare the whole entire body with the navel to the knees!

I've only just realised the etymology of that word! It never occurred to me before! Thanks Tut!

I only thought of it when you said aurat, then I thought what can Adami mean and if Aurat has Arabic origins then surely Adami must also, I think it might mean son of Adam, as we know is Islamic mythology humans are descended from Adam. 
     Reply #9 - May 01, 2009, 06:57 PM

Hi all , im an avid reader of a great many posts here in my endeavour to understand more the ex-muslim perspective. However I have come accross what I assume are arabic words whose understanding is sometimes essential to comprehend  what is being discused.
    So I was wondering if someone would indulge making up a glossary of the  words most  often used to allow  the uninitiated to follow the discussions.
     I dont mean all at once , but perhaps if you post  using certain words you could visit this this thread and add the translation(s) or meanings .

For example
    Awrah. From context im assuming it translates roughly as -  naughty bits    Smiley   

I think this would be of help to many others on here. Thanks

You might find this useful:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Islamic_terms_in_Arabic

Smiley
     Reply #10 - May 01, 2009, 08:25 PM

Cool link. I might move this thread to resources and sticky it. 

Reply #11 - May 01, 2009, 09:21 PM

Cool link. I might move this thread to resources and sticky it. 

I think that's a great idea.

[this space for rent]
     Reply #12 - May 31, 2009, 09:48 PM

Blame Allah? Fuck that, I'll thank him for making women so naughty and dirty.

fuck you
     Reply #13 - January 18, 2013, 01:53 AM

Necroing this thread; must have glossary for various terms used by Islamists and Salafis often on Twitter and elsewhere. Please add brief, precise definitions if you know them, and add more commonly used terms too. Thanks!

Dawah (Daw'ah)
    Fitrah
    Kuffar/Kafir
    Fitna
    Nabi/Rasool
    Hadith
    "Sahih" hadith
    Bidah (Bid'ah)

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #14 - January 18, 2013, 02:31 AM

Dawah (Da'wah) = Islamic proselytism (sp?) Spreading the faith. 

Fitrah = Man's natural pure state. We're all born in a state of "fitrah" until Christian/Jewish/Zoroastrian parents corrupt us with other religions. Basically, Islam believes in the opposite of "original sin", instead we're all pure and good at first. Certain "hygienic" practices, such as clipping one's nails, removing pubic and armpit hair are part of "fitrah". 

Kuffar = non-believer (plural) & Kaffir = non-believer (singular)

Fitna = this is a difficult one to translate. It roughly equates to chaos or strife. Eg: Mixing of the sexes is "fitna" as it can lead to illicit sex, Muslim infighting is "fitna" as it can destroy the unity of the ummah. 

Nabi/Rasool = prophet/messenger. 

Hadith = collection of the sayings/doings of Muhammad as narrated by his companions. They're usually formatted like this: "A narrated that B said that C saw Muhammad wearing red pants on so-and-so occasion. Sheikh Yomama concludes that this Hadith indicates that wearing red pants is sunnah." Many core Islamic beliefs/practices derive from Hadith (the rituals of prayer, ablution, the 5 pillars, etc). 

"Sahih" hadith = As demonstrated above, the Hadith are basically hearsay so Muslims have this entire pseudoscience that details how to distinguish "sahih" (authentic) ahadith from "da'eef" (weak) ahadith. Sahih Hadith is second only to the Quran in importance and basically shapes traditional Sunni Islam, which contains six sahih Hadith collections (sahih-as-sita was it?), the most authentic of which being Sahih Bukhari and Sahih Muslim. 

Bidah (Bid'ah) = innovation. Any additions or modifications of the religion are termed "bid'ah". It's a grave sin as Islam is already perfect and unchangeable. 
    It's also a favourite buzzword of Salafis/Wahhabis. 
     Reply #15 - January 18, 2013, 02:37 AM

thnkyu Al-Alethia

Would you say "Fitrah" is used to mean that everyone is born a Muslim? At least by the hardcore Muslims? This is why converts to Islam are called "reverts", correct?

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #16 - January 18, 2013, 02:39 AM

^Yep. That's fitrah, our natural state, which is Muslim. I should've made that more clear in my definition. It's not a hardcore thing, it's pretty standard; all (well, most) Muslims believe in the being born a Muslim thing.
     Reply #17 - January 18, 2013, 02:52 AM

Ok cool, thanks.

Reply #18 - January 18, 2013, 06:00 AM

I always thought Fitnah was gossiping, Fitrah was something we pay in Ramadaan and Fidyah is interest (interest on a purchase)
    Fitnah and Fidyah was haraam and Paying Fitrah was highly encouraged Smiley
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »