Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: New member, just making myself known...

(Read 5454 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • New member, just making myself known...
     OP - April 28, 2009, 10:36 PM

Well, my name is James, which is what my name J4m3z is supposed to read, obviously, lol. On other forums I have been called J4. Call me what you like Smiley

I have a lot to say and a lot of thoughts to share, as I'm sure everybody on this forum has (whom I'd love to talk to!), so I will keep this short. I converted to Islam at the age of 14 after my brother, who converted before me, convinced me that Islam was the true religion. Converting to Islam was an amazing experience and I don't pretend not to have enjoyed my time as a Muslim. I alienated most of my friends and family. Nobody understood me apart from the Muslim community, which replaced my family as far as I was concerned. I became interested in Philosophy, which I believe may be an inevitable route for converts to Islam, but I guess I have plenty of time to discuss that on here! At the age of 17, I applied my severe logical principles to Islam for the first time and shocked myself so much, that I carried on practising Islam even after disbelief. Inevitably though, I had to face the fact that praying 5 times a day to a being I no longer believe in really isn't being consistent. My family were just as confused at my sudden turn as when I first converted to Islam. I'm 19 now and at university studying the subject I love so much, despite ongoing dissaproval from the imaams of the mosques in my hometown. That subject is Philosophy. I used to be active on a Muslim forum where I met a girl who has also left Islam. She is now my girlfriend and I love her dearly.

This is all a bit scary. I've never met anybody else apart from my girlfriend who has also left Islam. I've never met other converts to Islam who have now left Islam. This keeps bringing back memories of the old Muslim forum I used to spend hours posting on lol. But now it is like I am on the other side.... I feel so wierd lol. I'd love to chat with the users of this forum. Lol argh, enough rambling, I should be revising for my arabic exam which I have tomorrow XD

Wasalaam (lol I used to end all my posts with this. Just wanted to say it for the memories it brings ^.^)

The unlived life is not worth examining.
  • Re: New member, just making myself known...
     Reply #1 - April 28, 2009, 10:40 PM

Howdy James. You're allowed to say wasalaam here. It isn't haram. Grin

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #2 - April 28, 2009, 11:02 PM

lol! thanks! Wow, being told that I am allowed to do something... a change to the Muslim forums!

Would be cool if anybody else on this forum speaks Arabic so I can practice my Arabic. Know anybody?

Reply #3 - April 28, 2009, 11:08 PM

Welcome james. I think its so great you have a partner who is also an ex muslim, that must be a very supportive situation you have. Smiley

i have a terrible feeling that you could soon join the ranks of us forum addicts so instead of taking you away from your misses you need to invite her here too so we can keep you both. Tongue

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #4 - April 28, 2009, 11:17 PM

Oh no, I don't like the sound of addiction! The internet... so wonderful yet so... ARGH! ..lol

I got exams to revise for!
    Proof that God is evil = only 24 hours in a day :/

XD

Reply #5 - April 28, 2009, 11:37 PM

I've never met other converts to Islam who have now left Islam. This keeps bringing back memories of the old Muslim forum I used to spend hours posting on lol. But now it is like I am on the other side....

There are a few here .. if you want to know who they are then just ask...

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #6 - April 29, 2009, 01:18 AM

lol! thanks! Wow, being told that I am allowed to do something... a change to the Muslim forums!

Would be cool if anybody else on this forum speaks Arabic so I can practice my Arabic. Know anybody?

Welcome J4.  There are a few Arabic speakers here - Hassan, Emerald, Baal, and a few others.  However, if you're going to try and practice your Arabic you'll need to type it in phonetic english, because Arabic characters come up as question marks.

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #7 - April 29, 2009, 06:41 AM

Well, my name is James, which is what my name J4m3z is supposed to read, obviously, lol. On other forums I have been called J4. Call me what you like Smiley

I have a lot to say and a lot of thoughts to share, as I'm sure everybody on this forum has (whom I'd love to talk to!), so I will keep this short. I converted to Islam at the age of 14 after my brother, who converted before me, convinced me that Islam was the true religion. Converting to Islam was an amazing experience and I don't pretend not to have enjoyed my time as a Muslim. I alienated most of my friends and family. Nobody understood me apart from the Muslim community, which replaced my family as far as I was concerned. I became interested in Philosophy, which I believe may be an inevitable route for converts to Islam, but I guess I have plenty of time to discuss that on here! At the age of 17, I applied my severe logical principles to Islam for the first time and shocked myself so much, that I carried on practising Islam even after disbelief. Inevitably though, I had to face the fact that praying 5 times a day to a being I no longer believe in really isn't being consistent. My family were just as confused at my sudden turn as when I first converted to Islam. I'm 19 now and at university studying the subject I love so much, despite ongoing dissaproval from the imaams of the mosques in my hometown. That subject is Philosophy. I used to be active on a Muslim forum where I met a girl who has also left Islam. She is now my girlfriend and I love her dearly.

This is all a bit scary. I've never met anybody else apart from my girlfriend who has also left Islam. I've never met other converts to Islam who have now left Islam. This keeps bringing back memories of the old Muslim forum I used to spend hours posting on lol. But now it is like I am on the other side.... I feel so wierd lol. I'd love to chat with the users of this forum. Lol argh, enough rambling, I should be revising for my arabic exam which I have tomorrow XD

Wasalaam (lol I used to end all my posts with this. Just wanted to say it for the memories it brings ^.^)

Wow! Fascinating story, James - I look forward to discussing things with you - Welcome!

re-Arabic, I speak Arabic, there is also Emerald, and Baal and I believe one or two more...

Hassan Smiley
     Reply #8 - April 29, 2009, 09:15 AM

Welcome to the forum J4 Smiley What did you come out with when you applied your logic principles to Islam? (out of interest)

Welcome J4.  There are a few Arabic speakers here - Hassan, Emerald, Baal, and a few others.  However, if you're going to try and practice your Arabic you'll need to type it in phonetic english, because Arabic characters come up as question marks.

Do they? I swear I have seen many people post in Arabic before on here.
     Reply #9 - April 29, 2009, 10:20 AM

Hi James. Welcome to the forum.

I also speak Arabic. It's my mother tongue.

Do they? I swear I have seen many people post in Arabic before on here.

I have also seen Arabic here before........Let's try

عربى
     Reply #10 - April 29, 2009, 10:23 AM

Cool. What method did you use to post that? Do you have an Arabic keyboard or was it copy/paste?

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #11 - April 29, 2009, 10:25 AM

I'm revising time atm. Omg, how many more rules is there for it?!?!?!? And how come when you say "25 to" it is khamsa ahsreen?!?! Why isn't it khamsa ashroon? :S

Reply #12 - April 29, 2009, 06:07 PM

Cool. What method did you use to post that? Do you have an Arabic keyboard or was it copy/paste?

Yes I have an Arabic keyboard but this is not very necessary. It makes life easier though.
    I used to write Arabic when I was using a laptop with no Arabic keyboard. I memorize the corresponding letters. The important thing is to add Arabic in language settings. I'm sure you know that  Smiley
     Reply #13 - April 29, 2009, 06:16 PM

I'm revising time atm. Omg, how many more rules is there for it?!?!?!? And how come when you say "25 to" it is khamsa ahsreen?!?! Why isn't it khamsa ashroon? :S

This is quite hard question for me? LOL

I don't want to confuse you but I'll say what I know.

In slang language we always say khamsa ashreen (It's actually khamsa wa ashreen but waw letter usually comes silent or as o)

In proper Arabic (which I guess this is what you study) they say khamsa ashroon or khamsa ashreen depending on its place in the sentence. There should also be the waw letter between khamsa and ashreen or ashroon.

You see, when it's ashroon, it's marfoo3 and the sign is the waw letter because it's plural (mothana or gam3).
    When it's ahreen, it's maksoor or mansoob and the sign is the ya2 letter because it's plural.

I remember this from the Arabic classes in school. I hope it doesn't confuse you more.

What exactly do you study? What is the time atm?
     Reply #14 - April 29, 2009, 06:27 PM

Khamsa wa 'Ishreen is colloquial - Khamsa wa 'Ishroon in the classical/literary form.

Colloquial generally dispenses with the nomnative/marfoo' case.

Smiley
     Reply #15 - April 30, 2009, 12:49 AM

This is quite hard question for me? LOL

I don't want to confuse you but I'll say what I know.

In slang language we always say khamsa ashreen (It's actually khamsa wa ashreen but waw letter usually comes silent or as o)

In proper Arabic (which I guess this is what you study) they say khamsa ashroon or khamsa ashreen depending on its place in the sentence. There should also be the waw letter between khamsa and ashreen or ashroon.

You see, when it's ashroon, it's marfoo3 and the sign is the waw letter because it's plural (mothana or gam3).
    When it's ahreen, it's maksoor or mansoob and the sign is the ya2 letter because it's plural.

I remember this from the Arabic classes in school. I hope it doesn't confuse you more.

What exactly do you study? What is the time atm?

What is marfoo3 and maksoor and mansoob? :S
    And you said... it's waw when it's plural and yaa when it's plural... :S

I'm doing a BA Philosophy degree but I'm taking a module in Arabic.
    And the time is 10 to 2 in the morning Smiley

Reply #16 - April 30, 2009, 12:52 AM

Khamsa wa 'Ishreen is colloquial - Khamsa wa 'Ishroon in the classical/literary form.

Smiley

Still don't get marfoo' lol. And I guess I better stick to the classical form.
    Either way I've done it already! Went well. I was appalled with exam condition standards though. I swear, it annoys me how passive Western society is sometimes  finmad

Reply #17 - April 30, 2009, 06:51 AM

Smiley

Still don't get marfoo' lol. And I guess I better stick to the classical form.
    Either way I've done it already! Went well. I was appalled with exam condition standards though. I swear, it annoys me how passive Western society is sometimes  finmad

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_grammar#Inflection_.28case.29

Inflection (case)  إﻋﺮﺍﺏ iʿrāb 

Arabic has three grammatical cases (حالات ḥālāt) roughly corresponding to: nominative, genitive and accusative. Normally, singular nouns take the ending -u(n) in the nominative, -i(n) in the genitive and -a(n) in the accusative. Some exceptional nouns, known as diptotes (الممنوع من الصرف al-mamnūʻu mina 'ṣ-ṣarf), never take the final n, and have the suffix -a in the genitive except when the diptotic noun is in the definite state (preceded by al- or is in the construct state). However, case is not shown in standard orthography, with the exception of indefinite accusative nouns ending in any letter but ة tāʾ marbūṭa or ء hamza, where the -a(n) "sits" upon an alif added to the end of the word (the alif still shows up in unvowelled texts). When speaking or reading aloud, articulating the case ending is optional, but rarely used except in religious situations. Technically, every noun has such an ending, although at the end of a sentence, no inflection is pronounced, even in formal speech, because of the rules of 'pause' (الوقف al-waqf). Case is not shown in standard orthography, with the exception of indefinite accusative nouns ending in any letter but ta marbuta or hamza, where the -a(n) "sits" upon an alif added to the end of the word (the alif still shows up in unvowelled texts). Cases, however, are marked in the Koran, children's books, primers and to remove ambiguous situations. If marked, it is shown at the end of the noun.

Nominative case  المرفوع al-marfūʿ

* Subjects of a verbal sentence.
        * Subjects and predicates of an equational (non-verbal) sentence, with some notable exceptions.
        * Certain adverbs retain the nominative marker.
        * The citation form of words is (if noted at all) in the nominative case.

For singular nouns and broken plurals, it is marked as a ḍammah (-u) for the definite or ḍammah + nunation (-un) for the indefinite. The dual and regular masculine plural are formed by adding -āni and -ūna respectively (-ā and -ū in the construct state). The regular feminine plural is formed by adding -ātu in the definite and -ātun in the indefinite.

Accusative case  المنصوب al-manṣūb

* The subject of an equational (non-verbal) sentence, if it is initiated with 'inna, or one of her sisters.
        * The predicate of kāna/yakūnu "be" and its sisters. Hence, البنت جميلة al-bintu jamīlatun "the girl is beautiful" but البنت كانت جميلة al-bintu kānat jamīla(tan) "the girl was beautiful" (spelling جميلة is not affected here (letter ة) in the unvocalised Arabic). The ending in brackets may not be pronounced in pausa or in informal Arabic.
        * Both the subject and the predicate of ẓanna and its sisters in an equational clause.
        * The object of a transitive verb
        * Most adverbs.
        * Internal object/cognate accusative structure
        * The accusative of specification/purpose/circumstantial.

For singular nouns and broken plurals, it is marked as a fatḥah (-a) for the definite or fatḥah + nunation (-an) for the indefinite. For the indefinite accusative, the fatḥah + nunation is added to an alif e.g. ـًا, which is added to the ending of all nouns (e.g. كان تعباناً kāna taʿbānan "he was tired") not ending with a hamza or ta marbuta. The dual and regular masculine plural are formed by adding -ayn(i) and -īn(a) (both spelled ـين in Arabic) respectively (-ay and -ī in the construct state, both spelled ـي in Arabic). The regular feminine plural is formed by adding -āt(i) in the definite and -āt(in) in the indefinite, both spelled ـات in Arabic.

Genitive case  المجرور al-majrūr

* Objects of prepositions.
        * All, but not necessarily the first member (the first nomen regens), of an iḍāfa (genitive construction) .
        * The object of a locative adverb.
        * Semi-prepositions if preceded by another (true or semi) preposition
        * Objects of كم kam "how much/many" and أي 'ayy "any".
        * Elative (comparative/superlative) adjectives behave similarly: أطول ولد "ʼaṭwalu waladin" "the tallest boy".

For singular nouns and broken plurals, it is marked as a kasrah (-i) for the definite or kasrah + nunation (-in) for the indefinite. The dual and regular masculine plural are formed by adding -ayn(i) and -īn(a) respectively (both spelled ـين in Arabic) (-ay and -ī in the construct state, both spelled ـي in Arabic). The regular feminine plural is formed by adding -āt(i) in the definite and -āt(in) in the indefinite, both spelled ـات in Arabic.

Note: diptotic nouns receive a fatḥah (-a) in the genitive, indefinite and are never nunated.
        Note: there is no dative case; instead, the preposition لـ "li-" is used.
     Reply #18 - April 30, 2009, 09:46 AM

What is marfoo3 and maksoor and mansoob? :S

Sorry. I've never studied Arabic in English language? LOL? I didn't know the translation of these words.

From what Hassan wrote, marfoo' is nominative, maksoor (or magroor) is genitive and mansoob is accusative.

And you said... it's waw when it's plural and yaa when it's plural... :S

I?m not a good teacher I guess.  Smiley

I meant that It's waw when it's nominative plural and yaa when it's genitive or accusative plural.

As you can see, Hassan is more competent in explaining Arabic in English language. He already did a good job here.

I can still help if needed...
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »