Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 18, 2024, 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: History of COEM Forum

(Read 14106 times)
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: History of COEM Forum
     Reply #30 - April 27, 2009, 10:47 PM

Matt's site is running along fine but is not my cup of tea, so I don't post there any more. I prefer something slightly more civilised.

IIDB was Internet Infidels Discussion Boards and BoD is the Board of Directors.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #31 - April 27, 2009, 10:51 PM

Firstly if you ever speak to Matt again, can you send him my thanks - let him know his name has now been entered into the COEM Hall of Fame permanently.

So Hass's original idea, and Berbs, using Os & his connections, along with Hassan & Wisehaven got the COEM site up & running

P.S What do IIDB & BoD stand for, and how is his site running now

IIDB = internet infidels forum. I used to post on it.. Don't know what Bod is though,
     Reply #32 - April 28, 2009, 06:51 AM

i always remember it as me and Hassan both talking about how nice it would be to have a forum that was nothing like ffi where we and other ex muslims could just be together... i always remembered it as me and Hassan together brain storming an idea for an ideal since we are both such idealists Cheesy

Like I say, you probably remember it better than me so I'll go with that. I do remember we talked about it at length and were PMing each other constantly at that time. Smiley

Even more importantly though the forum only took it's present form and survived the early days because of you - and Oz. You and Oz have put more time and effort into this forum than everyone put together. If it wasn't for you two this forum wouldn't be here!

Smiley
     Reply #33 - April 28, 2009, 06:52 AM

So Hass's original idea,

Hass & Berbs together Smiley
     Reply #34 - April 28, 2009, 06:55 AM

I have a feeling we are going to have to think about having our own server at some point.

I reckon if we had a bit of mainstream advertising this site could be inundated by the many invisible ex-Muslims out there who have no idea a place like this exists (and think they are the only ones.)
     Reply #35 - April 28, 2009, 07:03 AM

Having our own server wont help with that. A server is just a computer that holds your site's files and data. This one is stable and has a stack of space so at the moment I can't see any real advantage in moving.

Reply #36 - April 28, 2009, 07:05 AM

Having our own server wont help with that. A server is just a computer that holds your site's files and data. This one is stable and has a stack of space so at the moment I can't see any real advantage in moving.

I see.

Do you think we would have a problem if we did suddenly get media coverage and truck-loads of visitors?
     Reply #37 - April 28, 2009, 07:07 AM

What are the problems/advantages of sharing a server with Rant n Rave?
     Reply #38 - April 28, 2009, 07:34 AM

Adavntages: it's a bloody good server with one of the world's top hosting companies (look up LiquidWeb if you haven't heard of them). It's currently only burning up ten percent of the monthly bandwidth cap, even though it's carrying three other sites along with ours, so there's a lot of room for growth. It could easily carry the main CEMB site as well if necessary. The server is stable. They tend to deteriorate with age. This one is in good condition so no problems there.

We're already paid up for a year so moving now without a damned good reason would be silly. Matt is sysadmin for the server as a whole and he's good at it, so that's another bonus. LiquidWeb provide excellent support, unlike some companies.

Another relevant point: most hosting packages are on shared servers anyway. If you want your own, dedicated server it will cost a lot more than the bargain basement hosting packages that are advertised everywhere. Most of those have hidden, fine print conditions and cannot deliver what they are advertised as delivering. Which reminds me: if you know of anyone looking for hosting and who is about to get sucked in by ads I'd advise them to look around carefully. The support is often crap on cheap packages. In fact if anyone wants private opinions on hosting based on what I've learned over the past 18 months send me a pm about it.

Disadvantages: mainly technical, due to the way Matt has set the server up. My job is a pain in the arse in some respects due to restricted permissions and also due to the server config being slightly incompatible with our SMF software. I would dearly love to reconfigure the bastard and am working on sorting something out. So yeah, in some ways I'd love to be on a different server just to make some aspects of my job a lot easier but I can probably improve the current setup.

Reply #39 - April 28, 2009, 08:36 AM

Whatever you have done , its working well so dont worry about it Os

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #40 - April 28, 2009, 10:29 AM

Are the websites hosted on a virtual server? or on an actual dedicated server... Like for example a PowerEdge M905 which my uncle has, at home.
     Reply #41 - April 28, 2009, 10:37 AM

It's an actual dedicated server.

Reply #42 - April 28, 2009, 10:43 AM

It's an actual dedicated server.

Then it should be fine.
     Reply #43 - April 28, 2009, 10:47 AM

Oh it's fine for loads and disc space. No problems there. There are some irritating quirks though, as I mentioned before. I should be able to sort a workaround for them though. They don't affect the actual running of the forum itself. They just make administration more of a PITA.

Reply #44 - April 28, 2009, 11:40 AM

Adavntages: it's a bloody good server with one of the world's top hosting companies (look up LiquidWeb if you haven't heard of them). It's currently only burning up ten percent of the monthly bandwidth cap, even though it's carrying three other sites along with ours, so there's a lot of room for growth. It could easily carry the main CEMB site as well if necessary. The server is stable. They tend to deteriorate with age. This one is in good condition so no problems there.

We're already paid up for a year so moving now without a damned good reason would be silly. Matt is sysadmin for the server as a whole and he's good at it, so that's another bonus. LiquidWeb provide excellent support, unlike some companies.

Another relevant point: most hosting packages are on shared servers anyway. If you want your own, dedicated server it will cost a lot more than the bargain basement hosting packages that are advertised everywhere. Most of those have hidden, fine print conditions and cannot deliver what they are advertised as delivering. Which reminds me: if you know of anyone looking for hosting and who is about to get sucked in by ads I'd advise them to look around carefully. The support is often crap on cheap packages. In fact if anyone wants private opinions on hosting based on what I've learned over the past 18 months send me a pm about it.

Disadvantages: mainly technical, due to the way Matt has set the server up. My job is a pain in the arse in some respects due to restricted permissions and also due to the server config being slightly incompatible with our SMF software. I would dearly love to reconfigure the bastard and am working on sorting something out. So yeah, in some ways I'd love to be on a different server just to make some aspects of my job a lot easier but I can probably improve the current setup.

Thanks, Oz - everything you've done and continue to do is much appreciated  Afro
     Reply #45 - April 30, 2009, 01:17 PM

So Hass's original idea,

Hass & Berbs together Smiley

Actually, it was all my idea!!!  ghost   I was the ghost giving you all the ideas!! Crystal Ball

• Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »