Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Today at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Today at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: History of COEM Forum

(Read 14100 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • History of COEM Forum
     OP - April 27, 2009, 10:53 AM

The Great Database Stuffup was an important day in the history of COEM.  We could start a thread on a timeline of important events/milestones in the history of this forum?  Maybe stick it to the forum permanently?

Jun 21 2007? - COEM receives BHA (British Humanist Asscociation) funding
    Date? Hassan thinks it would be a good idea to start a forum
    Date? Berberella & Hassan approach Maryam Namazie at COEM and its agreed
    Date? Berberella approaches Osmanthus & Cheetah, who join ranks
    Date? Osmanthus creates the site and it is launched?

Date? Others?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
  • Re: History of COEM Forum
     Reply #1 - April 27, 2009, 11:06 AM

You're a bit off the mark there. Cheetah wasn't on the staff when we started out and I didn't create the site. Also the idea was Berbs' idea to start with.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #2 - April 27, 2009, 11:13 AM

(Revised)

Jun 21 2007? - COEM receives BHA (British Humanist Asscociation) funding
    Date? Berberella thinks it would be a good idea to start a forum, and approaches Hassan
    Date? Berberella & Hassan approach Maryam Namazie at COEM and its agreed
    Date? Berberella approaches Osmanthus who joins ranks
    Date? Who? creates the site and it is launched
    Date?  Cheetah(Date?) then Iris (Date?), then Emerald (Feb09) join as a Mod

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #3 - April 27, 2009, 11:19 AM

This would make a good guessing game. Grin I'm about to crash now but I'll dig up details tomorrow night. Short version is that the site was initially installed by Matt, who runs Rants n Raves and owns the server we share with them and a couple of other sites (Talk Rats and Nontheist Nexus). Matt doesn't have anything to do with the actual running of this site though.

Initial staff was Berbs as admin with myself, Hass and Wise Haven as mods. Berbs turned me into an admin when the error log hit 50,000 pages and told me to fix it. Grin

Reply #4 - April 27, 2009, 11:31 AM

Do we honestly need this?

You forgot to add me to the timeline:

January 07, 2008, 12:59:10 an intellectual polymath joins.
     Reply #5 - April 27, 2009, 11:36 AM

A great day in the history of the forum for sure. Damnation would never be the same again. Grin

Reply #6 - April 27, 2009, 11:58 AM

A polymorphist more like it.

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
     Reply #7 - April 27, 2009, 12:32 PM

Also the idea was Berbs' idea to start with.

Actually I seem to remember it was my idea when I heard about Maryam Namazie starting up the COEMB. I very much wanted to leave FFI and I spoke to Berbs when we were both on FFI about it and she also thought it was a great idea so then I phoned Maryam and suggested a forum to her. She said she would get Reza to start a Yahoo Group - then we set this up. (I remember Berbs hated the yahoo group and was insistent we start a proper forum - so maybe she means that?)

But my memory is sometimes a bit dodgy so perhaps Berbs remembers things differently.

Besides it doesn't really matter  grin12
     Reply #8 - April 27, 2009, 12:35 PM

Reza to start the Yahoo Group

What was this about?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #9 - April 27, 2009, 12:42 PM

Reza to start the Yahoo Group

What was this about?

When I spoke to Maryam on the phone, neither she nor I had a clue how to start an online forum but she said a colleague on the COEMB, Reza Moradi (he is registered here I think) who had helped put up the CEMB website  would set up an internet forum for us.

Berbs (and I) were very disappointed to find it was to be a yahoo Group which is a crappy format for a forum.

Berbs really wanted a proper forum and she pushed Maryam and Oz and me everyone to get a proper one set up.

Maryam Namazie kinda left it to us - and Reza seemed to be of no help. So Oz got his friend on Rant n Rave to help and I bought the domain name and Berbs, Oz Wisehaven and me (The Fantastic Four  grin12) started the forum. I resigned as mod not too long after. Wisehaven also resigned. (Just too much for us nothing personal) and Berbs and Oz were (and still are) the stars who have put enormous time and effort into the forum - so they should definitely get the accolades.

Anyhoooo that's how I remember it going down  grin12

Smiley
     Reply #10 - April 27, 2009, 12:47 PM

Where's Wisehaven now?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #11 - April 27, 2009, 12:48 PM

Where's Wisehaven now?

I spoke to him recently on Youtube - he's OK, I was hoping to meet him at my brother's gig, but he didn't show. I don't know if he still pops in here much.
     Reply #12 - April 27, 2009, 12:50 PM

A polymorphist more like it.

rofl

World renowned historian Will Durant"...the Islamic conquest of India is probably the bloodiest story in history. It is a discouraging tale, for its evident moral is that civilization is a precious good, whose delicate complex order and freedom can at any moment be overthrown..."
     Reply #13 - April 27, 2009, 12:54 PM

Where's Wisehaven now?

I spoke to him recently on Youtube - he's OK, I was hoping to meet him at my brother's gig, but he didn't show. I don't know if he still pops in here much.

Why doesnt he participate any longer?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #14 - April 27, 2009, 01:11 PM

Where's Wisehaven now?

Why doesnt he participate any longer?

Busy with other things, I guess.

Quite frankly I'm hoping I will have got all this out of my system soon, coz I don't want to spend the rest of my life waving the label Ex-Muslim over my head. I'd rather get on with my life.
     Reply #15 - April 27, 2009, 02:00 PM

I dont think I could ever do that - its part of my identity being an ex-muslim

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #16 - April 27, 2009, 06:03 PM

Also the idea was Berbs' idea to start with.

Actually I seem to remember it was my idea when I heard about Maryam Namazie starting up the COEMB. I very much wanted to leave FFI and I spoke to Berbs when we were both on FFI about it and she also thought it was a great idea so then I phoned Maryam and suggested a forum to her. She said she would get Reza to start a Yahoo Group - then we set this up. (I remember Berbs hated the yahoo group and was insistent we start a proper forum - so maybe she means that?)

But my memory is sometimes a bit dodgy so perhaps Berbs remembers things differently.

Besides it doesn't really matter  grin12

Actually it was my idea come to think of it, I said: "why don't you start your own forum" I am pretty sure I did.
     Reply #17 - April 27, 2009, 06:10 PM

Actually it was my idea come to think of it, I said: "why don't you start your own forum" I am pretty sure I did.

Are you kidding? If I remember rightly you were not very supportive at all and made some derisory comments on FFI when I posted the link to the Council of Ex-Muslims Yahoo Group there.
     Reply #18 - April 27, 2009, 06:20 PM

After your comment, KT, I thought I would search out that old thread I posted to promote the COEM Google Group (not Yahoo Group as I previously said) and I found it on the OLD FFI forum - in the Ex-Muslims section.

It gives a good insight into the history of this present forum.

By the way Sona2 is KT - you can read how supportive  Roll Eyes he was lol (Berbs - Sahara - reply to him was CLASSIC Cheesy  Afro )

http://www.faithfreedom.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46131

Smiley
     Reply #19 - April 27, 2009, 06:25 PM

After your comment, KT, I thought I would search out that old thread I posted to promote the COEM Google Group (not Yahoo Group as I previously said) and I found it on the OLD FFI forum - in the Ex-Muslims section.

By the way Sona2 is KT - now read how supportive he was lol (Berbs - Sahara - reply to him was CLASSIC Cheesy  Afro )

Smiley

Thanks for posting that Hassan... very interesting to learn about the history of this forum.

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #20 - April 27, 2009, 06:27 PM

By the way Sona2 is KT - now read how supportive he was lol (Berbs - Sahara - reply to him was CLASSIC Cheesy  Afro )

Smiley

Thanks for posting that Hassan... very interesting to learn about the history of this forum.

BTW I am Hassan on that thread and then Omar Ahmad (when I stopped using my real name there.)

Oz makes an appearance at the end of that thread too.
     Reply #21 - April 27, 2009, 06:30 PM

I did say: "Its not a forum its google groups. What a sh!t idea.

They could have just set up a fee forum,

So yeah it was kind of my idea to start a forum. lol classic thread.
     Reply #22 - April 27, 2009, 06:34 PM

I did say: "Its not a forum its google groups. What a sh!t idea.

So yeah it was kind of my idea to start a forum. lol classic thread.

lol... apart from the fact that we were already trying to get a proper forum.

And when I said "Maryam Namazie said they are working on setting up a proper forum (vBulletin is my choice) - I hope it happens soon."

You said: "Lol, that woman is incredibly stupid. I talked to her via email. Forums cost alot of money to run, I doubt she will open a forum. They are amateurs."
     Reply #23 - April 27, 2009, 06:59 PM

By the way Sona2 is KT - you can read how supportive  Roll Eyes he was lol (Berbs - Sahara - reply to him was CLASSIC Cheesy  Afro )

Smiley

Cheesy 

Funny thread.  Os' comment at the end was a classic too. 

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #24 - April 27, 2009, 07:27 PM

Damn i cant even remember my reply and because of this damn phone surfing i cant click the link lol.

for myself i always remember it as me and Hassan both talking about how nice it would be to have a forum that was nothing like ffi where we and other ex muslims could just be together.

im not sure who said it first, it doesnt even matter to me since as i said i have always remembered it as me and Hassan together brain storming an idea for an ideal since we are both such idealists Cheesy

os was onboard as soon as he heard about it, again cant remember the exact details of when or who or how lol my short term memory is like that.

i posted my bio over at rants and raves on os's suggestion and asked if anyone with the know how would be prepared to help set us up and show us the way and matt said he would do it.

this was after the council set us up the google group because we had approached them to suggest their organisation could gain if it had a forum for people to talk about their issues.

wise haven and Hassan, myself and os were the original four musketeers Tongue

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #25 - April 27, 2009, 09:14 PM

I said:
    KT:Its not a forum its google groups. What a sh!t idea.

Your reply Berbs was:
    Berbs: Sona, if a retard like you reckons it will never happen, then I believe it will definately happen.

It would be like taking advice from an ape.

Anyway, I wish it was a proper forum, but it isn;t, and I am snowed under with 4 forums already, so I am finding it hard to get the time to go over there.

I will pass through later though.

Then I said:
    KT: Whats with the bitchy attitude? that time of the month eh? on your reds eh?

Reply #26 - April 27, 2009, 09:29 PM

No, the comment you quoted from Berbs was in response to this post from you about Maryam Namazie....

Lol, that woman is incredibly stupid. I talked to her via email.

Forums cost alot of money to run, I doubt she will open a forum. They are amateurs.

Anybody can see that by clicking on the link.

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #27 - April 27, 2009, 10:13 PM

No, the comment you quoted from Berbs was in response to this post from you about Maryam Namazie....

Lol, that woman is incredibly stupid. I talked to her via email.

Forums cost alot of money to run, I doubt she will open a forum. They are amateurs.

Anybody can see that by clicking on the link.

Yeah my bad I missed that post... MN lol did I fuck her head or what back in those days... I had written to her.
     Reply #28 - April 27, 2009, 10:26 PM

Damn i cant even remember my reply and because of this damn phone surfing i cant click the link lol.

for myself i always remember it as me and Hassan both talking about how nice it would be to have a forum that was nothing like ffi where we and other ex muslims could just be together.

im not sure who said it first, it doesnt even matter to me since as i said i have always remembered it as me and Hassan together brain storming an idea for an ideal since we are both such idealists Cheesy

os was onboard as soon as he heard about it, again cant remember the exact details of when or who or how lol my short term memory is like that.

i posted my bio over at rants and raves on os's suggestion and asked if anyone with the know how would be prepared to help set us up and show us the way and matt said he would do it.

this was after the council set us up the google group because we had approached them to suggest their organisation could gain if it had a forum for people to talk about their issues.

wise haven and Hassan, myself and os were the original four musketeers Tongue

Yep I wasn't posting at FFI hardly at all on account of being over the joint so you told me about the google group thingy because you were trying to get it rolling along. So I rocked on over there with a few others but it never really took off big time coz google groups suck donkey balls. I was posting at RnR quite a bit then because IIDB had just melted down on account of the BoD acting like tossers (which was a bummer because it used to have the best evo/creo board on the net) so I suggested by pm that you post your bio since it always knocks everyone for six.

Matt was knocked for six and posted a link at the top of the forum so everyone had to read it when they logged in. Sanshou complained about this. I told him if reading it was too painful he could always put a hot knife on his nutsack to to take his mind off it. grin12

Anyway long story short: Matt installed the site in basic form and the rest of us were like "WTF do we do now?" Cheesy

Reply #29 - April 27, 2009, 10:42 PM

Firstly if you ever speak to Matt again, can you send him my thanks - let him know his name has now been entered into the COEM Hall of Fame permanently.

So Hass's original idea, and Berbs, using Os & his connections, along with Hassan & Wisehaven got the COEM site up & running

P.S What do IIDB & BoD stand for, and how is his site running now

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »