Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Today at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: British Muslims Against Sex Education

(Read 4219 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • British Muslims Against Sex Education
     OP - April 25, 2009, 03:48 PM

I found this Islamonline article about a Facebook campaign against sex education in British schools.

Quote from: Islamonline article
    CAIRO ? With the British government planning to offer sex classes in primary schools, a campaign has been launched on the world's largest social network Facebook to counter the move, reported the Rochdale Observer on Saturday, April 25.
    "We believe the teaching of SRE (sex and relationship education) in schools is inappropriate, both in terms of the philosophy which underpins the way it is approached as well as the resources used," campaigner Majed Iqbal said.
    Iqbal, a British Muslim, has launched a Facebook group themed "Rochdale Muslims against Sex and Relationship Education for 5 year olds" to campaign against plans to introduce sex classes in primary schools.
    "There is a misguided belief that children will engage in sexual relations, all of the solutions look at making this behavior ?safe? rather than challenging the lack of values which make this behavior acceptable."
    The government has unveiled plans to offer sex classes for pupils as part of efforts to protect children from early pregnancy, sexually transmitted infections and substance abuse.
    During the classes, children will learn the names of body parts and about animal reproduction.
    Children, between the age of eight and 11, will also be taught about the biological aspects of sex.
    They will also be taught to talk about peer pressure and their feelings.
    A signature campaign has been also launched by Muslims to demand the dropping of the scheme.
    Britain is home to nearly 2.4 million Muslims.
    Values
    The government argues that the classes are important to shield the children against abuses.
    "Effective and early PSHE (personal, social and health education) lays vital foundations for sex and relationships education (SRE) in the future, because it involves the development of the personal and social skills necessary for positive relationships," said Terry Piggott, Rochdale?s executive director of children?s services.
    He said all schools are required to set a policy outlining the provision of sex education, but each school creates its own individual program.
    "Rochdale primary schools recognize the vital role they play in building on the learning established within the home and early years settings and in laying the foundations for more detailed SRE later on in secondary school.
    "Parents and carers who have concerns should contact their child's school if they need further detail with regards to this aspect of the curriculum."
    But the Muslim campaigner disputes the argument.
    "Children do not need information, they need to be taught what is right and wrong," Iqbal said.
    "They need to be shown and taught what the boundaries of acceptable behavior are."

World renowned historian Will Durant"...the Islamic conquest of India is probably the bloodiest story in history. It is a discouraging tale, for its evident moral is that civilization is a precious good, whose delicate complex order and freedom can at any moment be overthrown..."
  • Re: British Muslims Against Sex Education
     Reply #1 - April 25, 2009, 03:52 PM

If they don't like it then they don't have to attend. That scheme sounds great to me, something that should be in place already tbh. We had PSHCE in school teaching us about STIs but it really wasn't sufficient enough. Sex education needs drastic improvements.
     Reply #2 - April 25, 2009, 09:36 PM

I love this bit:

"Children do not need information, they need to be taught what is right and wrong," Iqbal said.

Great. This is just what the world needs: someone who doesn't think children should be given information advising the government on the curriculum for public schools.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #3 - April 26, 2009, 07:30 AM

I love this bit:

Great. This is just what the world needs: someone who doesn't think children should be given information advising the government on the curriculum for public schools.

This reminds me a lot of how conservative Christians in the US have (not) dealt with sex education, with disastrous consequences in many cases.  Even Sarah Palin's own daughter says that she thinks abstinence only education doesn't work. 

[this space for rent]
     Reply #4 - April 26, 2009, 08:06 AM

Yup. Palin's daughter is a great example.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #5 - April 26, 2009, 11:39 AM

Sex education definitely needs to start in primary school! I had the bare minimum sex education in secondary school and it is not enough. It does not prepare you for any of the emotional aspects of sex, and all we were taught about was puberty, how conception happens, how to put a condom on and how to stick your cock in a fanny. When I was about 16 and I started seeing girls and having sex, I started having lots of insecurities about sex and how to behave in a relationship and I think this could have been prevented with good sex education. I think that this is one of the reasons I turned to religion when I was about 18, because with religion, I had an excuse for not wanting to be interested in girls (even though I was), and religion also gave me an outlet.

I had no sex education from home, because you are meant to grow up without even the slightest interest in girls and sex and then have an arranged marriage and have lots of babies. And the sex education in school was absolutely pointless. All that I really learnt in school was the science behind sex.

So yes, sex education should start at a younger age and the way they teach it should be completely reviewed.

Religion - The hot potato that looked delicious but ended up burning your mouth!

Knock your head on the ground, don't be miserly in your prayers, listen to your Sidi Sheikh, Allahu Akbar! - Lounes Matoub
     Reply #6 - April 26, 2009, 12:26 PM

I have sex ed at school, but I'm quite dissatisfied with the quality of that.

Apart from regular sex ed, once or twice a year, a gynaecologist comes to our school, we make chits of our questions, which she answers-this is more interesting & productive. People are always giggling in sex ed classes which is very dumb!  Tongue

World renowned historian Will Durant"...the Islamic conquest of India is probably the bloodiest story in history. It is a discouraging tale, for its evident moral is that civilization is a precious good, whose delicate complex order and freedom can at any moment be overthrown..."
     Reply #7 - April 26, 2009, 02:32 PM

I must admit that although the sex ed I received in school was outdated and only covered the biological aspects of intercourse it did do me some good and preparing me for what to expect physically the first time.

I disagree with religious parents taking their kids out of sex ed for the same reasons that osmanthus cited:

This reminds me a lot of how conservative Christians in the US have (not) dealt with sex education, with disastrous consequences in many cases.  Even Sarah Palin's own daughter says that she thinks abstinence only education doesn't work.

I received sex ed when I was 10 years old and then we moved to a rural town in another state and I received it again a couple of years later in junior high.  I remember there being debate at our school amongst the teachers and some of the parents about whether we were old enough for sex ed which I found hilarious as most of my class had already started puberty!  Now this is one of those very white, Christian towns and I was a non-religious Jewish girl from the city so I was able to see the absurdity of the religious argument from a young age.

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

The sleeper has awakened -  Dune

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish!
     Reply #8 - May 01, 2009, 11:53 AM

Its obvious why the devout would be afraid of their children being told the truth about their bodies given that sex is used as one of the main control tools for adherents of a lot of religions. If we free children to think for themselves they will be less likely to fall for the nonsense  and a life of self-loathing or feeling 'dirty' about their bodies. In the case of girls , it would be too empowering as they would be less likely to fall for the old canards regarding sexuality.
    The irony of it is that , sure , not educating them properly   means they can be more easily controlled by their 'culture' but also  by anyone else, including bullying partners , pedophile priests or people  in a position of authority.
    Fear is the bedrock of mind and body control , this is why those with a vested interest in continuing to hold this control over others  campaign against anything that threatens their ability to do so. Even ( or  especially ) if it is backed up with scientific , social, historic and health facts.

According to the polls only 1.6 % of Americans are athiests. So what gives you the right to call the other 80% morons?'
     Reply #9 - May 09, 2009, 03:46 AM

Whatever happened to that old concept of "you show me your weewee and I'll show you mine" ??  bunny

Pakistan Zindabad? ya Pakistan sey Zinda bhaag?

Long Live Pakistan? Or run with your lives from Pakistan?
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »