Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 06:51 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 28, 2024, 06:41 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 27, 2024, 01:26 PM

New Britain
April 27, 2024, 08:42 AM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 02:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 05:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 08:53 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: The Feminists of Islam

(Read 6450 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • The Feminists of Islam
     OP - April 23, 2009, 05:06 AM

Beyond the Veil (Preview available)
    Description: A study of sexual inequality in Muslim society. It argues that the Islamic view of women as active sexual beings resulted in a stricter regulation and control of women's sexuality, which Muslim theorists classically regarded as a threat to civilized society.
    Quote from: Rashna
    This book describes the Hadramaut rebellion in detail, plus it says that marriage customs in Pre Islamic Saudi were matrilineal, even the Prophet's father Abdullah had a matrilineal alliance with his mother Amina, who stayed on with her own people even after marriage, after her husband's death & her son went to live with his father's kin only after her death.

It says that while polygamy might've been existent in Pre Islamic Saudi, the virilocal polygamy Muhammad practiced was rare, & men would have different wives whom they'd visit in their homes, while women would similarly often be visited by different husbands.

The Jewel of Medina
    Description: Jones's controversial novel about A'isha bint Abi Bakr, the "child-bride" and one of the favored wives of Muhammad, comes to light amidst a swirl of debate about free speech. As for the book itself, it's not bad for a first novel. It opens with a 14-year-old A'isha returning to Muhammad in the company of her first love. Fearing she'd been unfaithful, Mohammad sends her back to her parents while he debates her innocence. The novel then backtracks to A'isha's youth, where her strength of character and sharp wit quickly become apparent. When she's betrothed to Muhammad at age six, she's ordered confined to her house (to preserve her virginity) until her marriage three years later. She is forced to leave her beloved Mecca for Medina when it becomes unsafe for Muhammad and his followers, and as Muhammad-here depicted as caring, progressive and politically savvy-marries more women and early followers of Islam face political challenges and devastating battles, A'isha grows from a self-centered child to a worldly woman whose advice and counsel are a source of comfort and strength to Muhammad. The subject matter here is more spectacular than the writing, which tends toward the maudlin and purple. It's a page turner, but not outstanding.

Women's Rebellion & Islamic Memory - By Fatima Mernissi
    Description: Chronicling ten years of research, this book presents a sustained analysis of the position of women in the world of contemporary Islam. One of the most important feminist thinkers, Fatima Mernissi here makes a major contribution to the theorisation of gender roles and sexual identity in the Islamic world.

The book first explores some of the concrete issues fundamental to the status of muslim women, such as the production of statistics which mask women's contribution to the economies of Arab states. Mernissi also looks at a variety of demographics including education and literacy - she shows their importance not only for empowering women but also for improving their health. She analyses the role of the state in prescribing women's roles, activities and spheres and explores the insidious consequences of state supported inequality - not only for women but for the creative and spiritual life of a culture.

She goes on to look at the position of women in Islamic thought and history and the construction of femininity in the muslim unconscious. She presents a sustained analysis of some of the Koranic formulations of gender, and demonstrates how very partisan the collective Islamic memory - of both history and theology - can be. Throughout, Mernissi argues that the emancipation of women is vital for the development of the Arab world.
    Quote from: Provided by awais
    Sakeena aka Sukayna bint Husayn bin Ali!

"Some women tried to resist the changes imposed on them after the death of the Prophet. They claimed the right to go out barza (unveiled), a word that they added to the Lisan al-?Arab dictionary: "A barza woman is one who does not hide her face and does not lower her head." And the dictionary adds that a barza woman is one who "is seen by people and who receives visitors at home" ? men, obviously.  A barza woman is also a woman who has "sound judgement."  A barz man or woman is someone "known for their ?aql [reasoning]."  Who are they, these Muslim women who have resisted the hijab?  The most famous was Sukayna, one of the great-granddaughters of the Prophet through his daughter Fatima, the wife of ?Ali, the famous ?Ali, the ill-fated fourth orthodox caliph who abandoned power to Mu?awiya and was assassinated by the first Muslim political terrorist.  His sons? fates were as tragic as his own, and Sukayna was present at the killing of her father at Karbala.  That tragedy partly explains her revolt against political, oppressive, despotic Islam and against everything that hinders the individual?s freedom ? including the hijab.

Sukayna was born in year 49 of the Hejira (about AD 671). She was celebrated for her beauty, for what the Arabs call beauty ? an explosive mixture of physical attractiveness, critical intelligence, and caustic wit.  The most powerful men debated with her; caliphs and princes proposed marriage to her, which she disdained for political reasons.  Nevertheless, she ended marrying five, some say six, husbands.  She quarreled with some of them, made passionate declarations of love to others, brought one to court for infidelity, and never pledged ta?a (obedience, the key principle of Muslim marriage) to any of them.  In her marriage contracts she stipulated that she would not obey her husband, but would do as she pleased, and that she did not acknowledge that her husband had the right to practice polygyny.  All this was the result of her interest in political affairs and poetry.  She continued to receive visits from poets and, despite her several marriages, to attend the meetings of the Qurashi tribal council, the equivalent of today?s democratic municipal councils.  Her personality has fascinated the historians, who have devoted pages and pages, sometimes whole biographies, to her... All her life Sukayna harboured feelings of contempt, which she never hesitated to express, for the Umayyad dynasty and its bloody methods. She attacked the dynasty in the mosques and insulted its governors and representatives every time she had the opportunity, even arranging occasions for this purpose.

The conditions Sakina put in her marriage act with one of her husbands, Zayd, made of her a celebrity and a nashiz, a rebellious wife. She stipulated that he would have no right to another wife, that he could never prevent her from acting according to her own will, that he would let her elect to live near her woman friend, Ummu Manshuz, and that he would never try to go against her desires (Agani XIV, pp. 168, 169. Mada?ini, Kitab al-muraddafat, p. 66).  When the husband once decided to go against Sakina?s will and went one weekend to his concubines, she took him to court, and in front of the Medina judge she shouted at him, ?Look as much as you can at me today, because you will never see me again!? (Agani XVI, p. 155).?

- Women's Rebellin & Islamic Memory, by Fatima Mernissi

The Veil And The Male Elite: A Feminist Interpretation Of Women's Rights In Islam - by Fatima Mernissi
    Description: From Publishers Weekly
    Muhammad was a chief of state who publicly acknowledged the importance of affection and sexuality. He was a polygynous husband whose wives were not just background figures but often shared decision-making with him. According to Moroccan sociologist Mernissi ( Beyond the Veil ), the founder of Islam asserted the equality of women, rejected slavery and envisioned an egalitarian society. Mernissi further claims that successive Muslim priests manipulated and distorted sacred texts, from the seventh century onward, in an effort to maintain male privileges. Her close textual analyses of the Hadith , or stories of words and deeds attributed to the Prophet, support her far-reaching reinterpretation of the historic roots of Islam and its modern tendency to reduce woman to a "submissive, marginal creature."
    Copyright 1991 Reed Business Information, Inc. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

From Library Journal
    Mernissi, an internationally known Moroccan sociologist, endeavors to show that discrimination against women, so common in the Muslim world today, is not a fundamental tenet of Islam as many contemporary male Muslims would like us to believe. Her basic premise is that Islam is inherently egalitarian and, using extensive documentation from the Koran, the Hadith, and other Islamic historical commentary, Mernissi successfully proves her hypothesis. While doing so, she teaches the reader a great deal about Mohammed (the man as well as the prophet), his wives, his companions, and early Islamic society. Like Mernissi's other books ( Beyond the Veil , Indiana Univ. Pr., 1987; Doing Daily Battle , Rutgers Univ. Pr., 1989; Women in Emergent Morocco , Flame Internat., 1982), this fascinating, well-written, and well-documented work is an excellent addition to scholarship on Muslim women. Recommended for academic libraries and others with women's studies or Middle East collections.
    - Ruth K. Baacke, Bellingham P.L., Wash .
    Quote from: Provided by awais
    You can imagine my surprise when I was accused of lying at a conference in Penang, Malaysia in 1984, where I presented Sukayna as a type of traditional Muslim woman for us to think about. My accuser, a Pakistani, editor of an Islamic journal in London, interrupted me, shouting to the audience: "Sukayna died at the age of six!" Trying to snatch the microphone away from me in a vindictive rage, he kept repeating: "She died at Karbala with her father! She died at Karbala!" Then smugly assuming the role of qadi, he demanded that I name the sources where I found my version of Sukayna's history. I furnished him a list on the spot - in Arabic obviously. He looked at it with disdain and told me it was very scanty. In fact, it contained the names of Ibn Qutayba, Ibn 'Abd Rabbih, Ibn 'Asakir, al-Zamakshari, Ibn Sa'd, Ibn al-Ma'ad, al-Isbahani, al-Dhahabi, Al-Safadi, Al-Washaa, al-Bukhari - in short, the great names of Muslim historiography. I learned later that this important editor, whose journal claims to contribute a better understanding of the Muslim world, neither speaks nor reads Arabic.

Sukayna died in Medina at the age of 68 (117 AH). Other sources have her dying at the age of 77 at Kufa. (...)

In any case, that verbal aggression that I was subjected to and that attempt to obliterate the memory of Sukayna by a modern Muslim man who only accepts his wife as veiled, crushed, and silent remains for me an incident that symbolizes the whole matter of the relationship of the Muslim man to time - of amnesia as memory, of the past as warping the possibilities of the present. (...)

What a strange memory, where even dead men and women do not escape attempts at assassination, if by chance they threated to raise the hijab that covers the mediocrity and servility that is presented to us as tradition. How did the tradition succeed in transforming the Muslim woman into that submissive, marginal creature who buries herself and only goes out into the world timidly and huddled in her veils? Why does the Muslim man need such a mutilated companion? (...)

From the footnotes:

For biographical information on Sakayna, see the following, which, however, is far from being an exhaustive list: Ibn Sa'd, Tabaqat, vol. 8, p. 475; Isbahani, Aghani, vol. 3, pp. 36Iff; vol. 16, pp.138ff; vol. 17, pp.43ff; and vol. 19, pp.155ff; Ibn 'Asakir, Tarikh Madinat Dimashq (Damascus: n.p., 1982), pp. 155ff. (The authr died in the eleventh century.); Ibn Hasan al-Malaki, Hada'iq; Ibn Habib al-Baghdadi, Kitab al-Muhabbar (Beirut: Al-Maktaba al-Tijariya, n.d.), pp. 439ff. (The author died in the year 245 AH, 9th Century CE.)

Feel free to add more books to this section.
  • Re: The Feminists of Islam
     Reply #1 - April 23, 2009, 06:48 AM

I like the sound of his grand daughter. 0O

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #2 - April 23, 2009, 06:56 AM

I like the sound of his grand daughter. 0O

she certainly is awesome, it is a shame the truth about her life is being covered up.
     Reply #3 - April 23, 2009, 07:24 AM

That really is pathetic...

I've read most of these books and they are good.  Here are some more suggestions:

Women and Gender in Islam: Historical Roots of a Modern Debate by Leila Ahmed

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Women-Gender-Islam-Historical-Modern/dp/0300055838/ref=pd_sim_b_6

Speaking in God's Name: Islamic Law, Authority and Women by Khaled Abou el Fadl

Very good and written by a man no less!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Speaking-Gods-Name-Islamic-Authority/dp/1851682627/ref=pd_sim_b_11

A Daughter of Isis: The Autobiography of Nawal el Saadawi

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Daughter-Isis-Autobiography-Nawal-Saadawi/dp/1856496805/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

The sleeper has awakened -  Dune

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish!
     Reply #4 - April 23, 2009, 07:35 AM

No need to insult nour, I'm only going by descriptions given to me by others. Thanks for your contribution.
     Reply #5 - April 23, 2009, 08:29 AM

As the grand-daughter of the prophet she held respect and position to voice her position without fear. Sadly an ordinary woman in Islam could not openly pronounce such views.

I need to read some of those books.

Knowing Islam is the only true religion we do not allow propagation of any other religion. How can we allow building of churches and temples when their religion is wrong? Thus we will not allow such wrong things in our countries. - Zakir Naik
     Reply #6 - April 23, 2009, 10:13 AM

No need to insult nour, I'm only going by descriptions given to me by others. Thanks for your contribution.

I did not mean to insult.  What I meant to say was that the reaction of that Pakistani editor to Fatima Mernissi's statemen regarding Sukayna was pathetic, not the post itself nor the poster.

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

The sleeper has awakened -  Dune

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish!
     Reply #7 - April 23, 2009, 10:16 AM

I did not mean to insult.  What I meant to say was that the reaction of that Pakistani editor to Fatima Mernissi's statemen regarding Sukayna was pathetic, not the post itself nor the poster.

Oh right, my apologies. I didn't read your post properly.
     Reply #8 - April 23, 2009, 10:37 AM

Speaking in God's Name: Islamic Law, Authority and Women by Khaled Abou el Fadl
    Very good and written by a man no less!

I really like Khaled Abou El Fadl, he's a good man, I haven't read his books but I've read quite a few of his articles online, they seem very good,but I fear his arguments will have a hard time being accepted.

For instance Asra Q. Nomain in her book "Standing Alone in Mecca," in page 305-307 writes that Dr Abou El Fadl discredits men like Abu Huraira who reported some of the most anti women statements as he claims that Abu Huraira converted to Islam late.

Abu Huraira reported that women were made from a crooked rib, making them deficient, that women would be the majority of hell's inhabitants, Muhammad cursed men who wear women's clothes & women who wears men's clothes etc. Khaled Abou El Fadl claims that Abu Huraira marginalized, objectified & hypersexualized women in the name of the Prophet.

I think such a statement can potentially open a can of worms-because if Abu Huraira is discredited, then one can doubt the authority of almost all the sahabas-if one is a liar, all can be liars.

Besides plenty of misogynistic statements or observations that Islam is a misogynistic faith come from other narrators-like Ayesha reported-Sahih Bukhari Volume 7, Book 72, Number 715:
    Narrated 'Ikrima:
    Rifa'a divorced his wife whereupon 'AbdurRahman bin Az-Zubair Al-Qurazi married her. 'Aisha said that the lady (came), wearing a green veil (and complained to her (Aisha) of her husband and showed her a green spot on her skin caused by beating). It was the habit of ladies to support each other, so when Allah's Apostle came, 'Aisha said, "I have not seen any woman suffering as much as the believing women. Look! Her skin is greener than her clothes!"

Its possible to do away with an Abu Hurairah, but much more difficult to excise all misogynistic Quranic & hadith accounts.

World renowned historian Will Durant"...the Islamic conquest of India is probably the bloodiest story in history. It is a discouraging tale, for its evident moral is that civilization is a precious good, whose delicate complex order and freedom can at any moment be overthrown..."
     Reply #9 - April 23, 2009, 10:47 AM

I love the title, "A Daughter of Isis." Ancient Egyptian women , real daughters & worshippers of Isis, seem to have enjoyed tremendous rights.

World renowned historian Will Durant"...the Islamic conquest of India is probably the bloodiest story in history. It is a discouraging tale, for its evident moral is that civilization is a precious good, whose delicate complex order and freedom can at any moment be overthrown..."
     Reply #10 - April 25, 2009, 04:29 AM

They were still subject to FGM.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #11 - April 25, 2009, 04:46 AM

They were still subject to FGM.

Yep, thats' the dark side, Egypt seems to have invented both male & female circumcision.  Cry

Reply #12 - April 25, 2009, 05:11 AM

Besides plenty of misogynistic statements or observations that Islam is a misogynistic faith come from other narrators-like Ayesha reported-Sahih Bukhari Volume 7, Book 72, Number 715:
    Narrated 'Ikrima:
    Rifa'a divorced his wife whereupon 'AbdurRahman bin Az-Zubair Al-Qurazi married her. 'Aisha said that the lady (came), wearing a green veil (and complained to her (Aisha) of her husband and showed her a green spot on her skin caused by beating). It was the habit of ladies to support each other, so when Allah's Apostle came, 'Aisha said, "I have not seen any woman suffering as much as the believing women. Look! Her skin is greener than her clothes!"

I think there is a good reason to doubt that hadith is authentic. All the other narrations by Aisha herself do not mention the women being beaten up, and she is usually pretty honest. I cant see her concealing a fact as bad as this.
     Reply #13 - April 25, 2009, 05:24 AM

Why would it be any less authentic than the rest of Bukhari?

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #14 - April 25, 2009, 05:26 AM

I notice I made an error (typo) in transcribing from the book "The Veil and Male Elite"

if by chance they threated to raise the hijab

Should be threaten

I chose to get circumcised at 17, don't tell me I never believed.
     Reply #15 - April 25, 2009, 05:34 AM

Why would it be any less authentic than the rest of Bukhari?

I don't think it's wise to say ALL of Bhukari is 100%. The reason I'm questioning it's authenticity is for the reasons I stated above- Aisha doesn't mention it in her narrations.
     Reply #16 - April 25, 2009, 05:35 AM

I notice I made an error (typo) in transcribing from the book "The Veil and Male Elite"

if by chance they threated to raise the hijab

Should be threaten

I cant modify the post for some reason.
     Reply #17 - April 25, 2009, 05:41 AM

Only mods can modify after 3 (?) hours of original post.

I chose to get circumcised at 17, don't tell me I never believed.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »