Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Hello there

(Read 5964 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Hello there
     OP - April 22, 2009, 10:25 AM

Hi everyone,

I registered on this forum a while ago on the advice of a chap called GMAN from the MPACUK forum (is he still here?) but didn't get round to post anything until now.

I'm 36 years old doctor living in Cambridge. I was born into a Muslim Bangladeshi family and was a fairly devout practising Muslim until my early 20s after which I apostatised. Here's a little bit more about me from the aforementioned MPACUK forum (I was banned from there a while ago):

http://forum.mpacuk.org/showthread.php?t=23798

I look forward to a few interesting discussions.

All the best,

DD

Look not above, there is no answer there;
    Pray not, for no one listens to your prayer;
    Near is as near to God as any Far,
    And Here is just the same deceit as There.

- Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam
  • Re: Hello there
     Reply #1 - April 22, 2009, 10:29 AM

Hey Diavolo,

Welcome.  Looking forward to you posts. Afro

Islam: where idiots meet terrorists.
     Reply #2 - April 22, 2009, 10:39 AM

Hey there Diavolo! Welcome to the forum. I've just been reading the first page of that thread, the responses are quite predictable, especially people like Raheem Roll Eyes

Anyway I hope you enjoy your stay here yes

Reply #3 - April 22, 2009, 10:43 AM

Hi. We don't have anyone registered as GMAN but he could have used another nick (assuming he is registered here). Anyway, make yourself at home.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #4 - April 22, 2009, 11:37 AM

Welcome!  parrot
     Reply #5 - April 22, 2009, 12:29 PM

Hey Doc,

Welcome to our forum. Afro

German ex-Muslim forumMy YouTubeList of Ex-Muslims
    Wikis: en de fr ar tr
    CEMB-Chat
    I'm on an indefinite break...
     Reply #6 - April 22, 2009, 12:31 PM

Hi everyone,

I registered on this forum a while ago on the advice of a chap called GMAN from the MPACUK forum (is he still here?) but didn't get round to post anything until now.

I'm 36 years old doctor living in Cambridge. I was born into a Muslim Bangladeshi family and was a fairly devout practising Muslim until my early 20s after which I apostatised. Here's a little bit more about me from the aforementioned MPACUK forum (I was banned from there a while ago):

http://forum.mpacuk.org/showthread.php?t=23798

I look forward to a few interesting discussions.

All the best,

DD

Welcome DD Smiley
     Reply #7 - April 22, 2009, 01:30 PM

signwelcome DD!

World renowned historian Will Durant"...the Islamic conquest of India is probably the bloodiest story in history. It is a discouraging tale, for its evident moral is that civilization is a precious good, whose delicate complex order and freedom can at any moment be overthrown..."
     Reply #8 - April 22, 2009, 01:57 PM

Greetings

"Poor human nature, what horrible crimes have been committed in thy name!"
    - Emma Goldman
     Reply #9 - April 22, 2009, 02:29 PM

signwelcome Hola.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I remain.
     Reply #10 - April 22, 2009, 03:34 PM

Welcome Doc!
    I read through that thread. I like your style and look forward to reading your contributions.

BAfroB

My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." -- Mike Tyson
     Reply #11 - April 22, 2009, 03:38 PM

Welcome.   bounce

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #12 - April 22, 2009, 05:59 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys and gals. A special hello to Hassan - I've been a fan of your videos and posts on MPACUK for a while.

thnkyu

All the best.

Reply #13 - April 22, 2009, 06:26 PM

Dr. Diavolo

A warm welcome to the Coem board.

cheers

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #14 - April 22, 2009, 07:40 PM

Welcome to the forum doctor saab!  Afro

Reply #15 - April 24, 2009, 05:53 PM

Hi - your thread on MPACUK sounds eerily like one of mine on Ummah.  I bet you have a lot to say about Labour's new GP deals and the ever shifting goal posts, perhaps we can discuss it one day.  Anyway welcome and enjoy the ride..

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #16 - April 25, 2009, 06:26 AM

Welcome DD, what are some of the steps u went through to flip against islam, bangaladesh is registered as the second most religious country in the world. First is Egypt.

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
     Reply #17 - April 27, 2009, 11:29 AM

Welcome DD, what are some of the steps u went through to flip against islam, bangaladesh is registered as the second most religious country in the world. First is Egypt.

It was a very gradual process for me. I was at the peak of my religiosity in my mid to late teens. Early on I came to the conclusion that Allah didn't actively intervene in this world, otherwise he'd be cruelly and arbitrarily unfair. With hindsight, I realise that this must have been my very first step towards eventual apostasy. As with many potential apostates, hell was a very problematic concept once again hideously unfair to those who were born into other religions.

One thing that 'protected' me from apostasy in those early days was a relative lack of knowledge about my own religion. I knew how to perform the rituals but, while a believer I had not read the Quran in English and little little knowledge of Muhammad's life and how the Quran was subsequently codified. Had I known about some of these things, I was surely have left the religion earlier.

I gradually realised that there was nothing intrinsically special about Islam. Non-Muslims felt the same way about the truth of their own religions and gained the same satisfaction from them as I did from Islam. There was no rational reason for anyone to leave their own religion for Islam and it was quite clear that had I been born into a different religion I would also not be a Muslim.

As my scientific education progressed, I realised that an omnipotent god was not required to explain the world around us. I gradually stopped performing my prayers and other rituals and it came to a point where I had to face up to whether I believed or not - I realised that I didn't.

I pretty much continued to live a pseudo-Muslim lifestyle for a few years after - I continued to avoid alcohol and pork, for example - but full emancipation came when I dropped all of the cultural baggage. It was only then that I no longer felt like an outsider.

Reply #18 - April 27, 2009, 11:35 AM

Have you told the rest of your family, how did they take it?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #19 - April 27, 2009, 11:57 AM

It was a very gradual process for me. I was at the peak of my religiosity in my mid to late teens. Early on I came to the conclusion that Allah didn't actively intervene in this world, otherwise he'd be cruelly and arbitrarily unfair. With hindsight, I realise that this must have been my very first step towards eventual apostasy. As with many potential apostates, hell was a very problematic concept once again hideously unfair to those who were born into other religions.

One thing that 'protected' me from apostasy in those early days was a relative lack of knowledge about my own religion. I knew how to perform the rituals but, while a believer I had not read the Quran in English and little little knowledge of Muhammad's life and how the Quran was subsequently codified. Had I known about some of these things, I was surely have left the religion earlier.

I gradually realised that there was nothing intrinsically special about Islam. Non-Muslims felt the same way about the truth of their own religions and gained the same satisfaction from them as I did from Islam. There was no rational reason for anyone to leave their own religion for Islam and it was quite clear that had I been born into a different religion I would also not be a Muslim.

As my scientific education progressed, I realised that an omnipotent god was not required to explain the world around us. I gradually stopped performing my prayers and other rituals and it came to a point where I had to face up to whether I believed or not - I realised that I didn't.

I pretty much continued to live a pseudo-Muslim lifestyle for a few years after - I continued to avoid alcohol and pork, for example - but full emancipation came when I dropped all of the cultural baggage. It was only then that I no longer felt like an outsider.

Thanks for sharing that, Dr Diavolo, I enjoyed reading it.  Afro

I used to think I was very much alone a couple of years ago - now I'm of the opinion that there are thousands like us out there living as "Muslims".
     Reply #20 - April 27, 2009, 12:07 PM

Me too - I sometimes wonder how many Muslims in this day & age just keep quiet, never admit it to others for fear of being judged, or to themselves through potential fear of hell?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #21 - April 27, 2009, 12:19 PM

Me too - I sometimes wonder how many Muslims in this day & age just keep quiet, never admit it to others for fear of being judged, or to themselves through potential fear of hell?

A lot!  I'm quite certain of it.

(and don't forget reasons such as family, children, community etc... that make keeping quiet an irresistible option.)
     Reply #22 - April 27, 2009, 12:37 PM

Have you told the rest of your family, how did they take it?

I told my parents only about 4 years ago. I had assumed that they had worked out for themselves that I was no longer a Muslim because I had been openly 'non-practising' for quite a while. The topic came up while I was visiting them one evening. I certainly hadn't planned a formal coming out but I casually mentioned that I no longer believed in god. They were pretty shocked and I was surprised that they were shocked!

Since then my brother and my dad (both of whom are very religious) have tried to talk me into believing again! Funnily enough, my mum hardly ever mentions it. I wonder whether her faith is slightly shaky.

Reply #23 - April 27, 2009, 12:44 PM

Since then my brother and my dad (both of whom are very religious) have tried to talk me into believing again! Funnily enough, my mum hardly ever mentions it. I wonder whether her faith is slightly shaky.

I wonder whether it is too much for her to handle, so she casually ignores it.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #24 - April 27, 2009, 12:45 PM

Thanks for sharing that, Dr Diavolo, I enjoyed reading it.  Afro

I used to think I was very much alone a couple of years ago - now I'm of the opinion that there are thousands like us out there living as "Muslims".

There are no doubt thousands (if not tens of thousands) of Muslims whose beliefs have lapsed. Yet if you asked them if they were Muslims they would automatically say 'yes'. Much fewer actually openly apostatise. The same applies to other religions as well.

Reply #25 - April 27, 2009, 01:11 PM

Last thanksgiving I was at my Bangladeshi in-laws' home for dinner. My brother-in-law was was visiting from L.A.  During dinner he boldly proclaimed that he was an agnostic. I looked into his parents eyes to gauge their reaction and it was at that moment I realized that neither of them knew what the word "agnostic" meant.  I passed him the cranberry sauce and we all enjoyed the rest of the feast.

BYum YumB

My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." -- Mike Tyson
     Reply #26 - April 27, 2009, 01:58 PM

Last thanksgiving I was at my Bangladeshi in-laws' home for dinner. My brother-in-law was was visiting from L.A.  During dinner he boldly proclaimed that he was an agnostic. I looked into his parents eyes to gauge their reaction and it was at that moment I realized that neither of them knew what the word "agnostic" meant.  I passed him the cranberry sauce and we all enjoyed the rest of the feast.

BYum YumB

better be careful, or you will end up getting the blame

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »