Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: BNP's advertising campaign feat. Jesus Christ

(Read 4673 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • BNP's advertising campaign feat. Jesus Christ
     OP - April 01, 2009, 03:17 PM

The extremist British National Party (BNP) is to launch an advertising campaign featuring Jesus Christ.

The far-Right party will use the advert which features a bible verse quoting Jesus' words about persecution, in the run up to the European Elections in June.

It comes after the Church of England passed a resolution at its General Synod last month banning clergy from being members of the party.

The advert features a picture of Jesus Christ on the cross and quotes a part of a verse from John's Gospel (John 15:20) in which Jesus says: "If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you". The verse comes in the context of Jesus' teaching about love.

The advert then asks: "What would Jesus do?".

The thinktank Ekklesia has monitored attempts by the BNP since 2003 to present itself as a ?Christian Party?. It has also warned that misleading stories about ?Christian persecution? in the UK, as well as appeals by church leaders to recover the idea of 'Christian Britain', have played into the hands of the far-Right

In recent years the BNP has used religious rhetoric with increasing frequency. In recent local elections, the party's literature included copies of the controversial Mohammed cartoons. It also helped establish a 'Christian Council of Britain'.

The goal is to appeal to those in the population who identify with Christianity, but feel panicked both by 'liberal secularism' and the growth of Islam.

An analysis of the BNP membership list by the thinktank Ekklesia highlighted a number of members who were identified as Christian, taking part in Bible studies, running Christian businesses including bookshops or who were active in their churches.

In an email sent yesterday to BNP supporters, BNP leader Nick Griffin said: ?The British National Party is the only political party which genuinely supports Britain's Christian heritage. It is the only party which will defend our ancient faith and nation from the threat of Islamification.

?What has become of the Christian church in this country? Instead of inclusively ?embracing all? which the church claims is its basis, certain groups within that body have banned people from their ranks simply because of their membership in the British National Party.

?Surely if God calls a man to his service, no church has the right to contradict HIS holy will! For many years, the churches in this country scrupulously avoided being politically biased. Nowadays however we see a small number of clerics and bishops openly preaching hatred towards the BNP.

?Church leaders actively shun the word of God on issues like sodomy, abortion and social justice.

?With this in mind I invite you to preview our European election billboard (pictured right) aimed at attracting even more Christian voters.

?Jesus was viewed as a revolutionary figure, hated and hounded to death, not by 'evil men' but by the corrupt hypocrites who ran the church. Has nothing changed in two thousand years?

?On June 4th, the leaders of Britain's churches will find out that millions of good decent people support the British National Party.

?It's not racist to support British jobs for British workers or to be opposed to militant Islam, it's just common sense and in line with the teachings of Jesus Christ.

But Jonathan Bartley, co-director of the thinktank Ekklesia said: ?This is clearly a gross misrepresentation of both Jesus Christ and Christianity. Jesus was completely opposed to bigotry. He is recorded in the Gospels as challenging those who didn?t welcome foreigners - not as working for their exclusion.

?But the church must critically reflect on how it is aiding the far-Right. Leading figures within the Church of England have become far more vocal recently in their calls to ?stem the tide of secularism?, and to defend the predominant 'Christian culture' of Britain. The uncomfortable fact is that this puts the Church into the position of arguing the same political point about national identity as the BNP.

?Of course the rationales of these messages are very different. The agenda behind the BNP's claims is essentially a cultural one - partly in opposition to an alleged liberal elite, and partly in an attempt to whip up fear of minority faiths. In contrast, few would question the commitment of the Church of England to combating racism. But the time has come to face the fact that when it uses 'Christian nation' rhetoric, it risks encouraging support for right-wing extremists.

?Church figures should also exercise caution in their uncritical backing for high-profile cases of ?Christian persecution? which have featured most prominently in the Daily Telegraph and Daily Mail. These stories have often been misreported, but used nevertheless by church leaders as examples of a wider move of discrimination against Christians. This is creating a victim mentality which will only serve to drive people into the BNP?s hands.

?But the latest advert from the BNP which quotes Jesus Christ should be seen by the church as an opportunity for a new approach. Instead of adopting a defensive stance which pleases those seeking to make political capital out of civic 'de-Christianization', the Church should refocus on the vocation of Jesus, who clearly challenged bigotry in all its forms. Whilst 'Christian nation' rhetoric will only create more BNP support, a focus on Jesus Christ will undermine the party's ideology completely.?

http://ekklesia.co.uk/node/9093

*groan*  Roll Eyes
  • Re: BNP's advertising campaign feat. Jesus Christ
     Reply #1 - April 01, 2009, 03:37 PM

The BNP have like 12,000 members or something and majority of them are chavs living on some estate wearing Argos jewellery and spitting on the streets. I would not worry about them too much
     Reply #2 - April 01, 2009, 03:44 PM

The BNP have like 12,000 members or something and majority of them are chavs living on some estate wearing Argos jewellery and spitting on the streets. I would not worry about them too much

Who said I was worried?

This is just a follow up of the atheist bus campaign, and the Christian bus campaign retaliation...

and now it goes political. So much for separation of church and state.
     Reply #3 - April 01, 2009, 03:46 PM

Actually, when the membership list was leaked, it revealed that the majority of them are middle class with respectable jobs!

Religion - The hot potato that looked delicious but ended up burning your mouth!

Knock your head on the ground, don't be miserly in your prayers, listen to your Sidi Sheikh, Allahu Akbar! - Lounes Matoub
     Reply #4 - April 01, 2009, 03:54 PM

Actually, when the membership list was leaked, it revealed that the majority of them are middle class with respectable jobs!

Unfortunately that's true.

Pre 04 no one respectable who didn't live in Dagenham or Oldham would vote for the BNP. Now they have members among the Middle management, the police, doctors, church members or church going people, retired professionals, business owners etc.

They are going for a major election push, especially after they won a seat on the GLA, they are going to be the third party in a few years at this rate.

"I am ready to make my confession. I ask for no forgiveness father, for I have not sinned. I have only done what I needed to do to survive. I did not ask for the life that I was given, but it was given nonetheless-and with it, I did my best"
     Reply #5 - April 01, 2009, 03:56 PM

I checked out the list and a couple of members are British expats in Australia and live just down the street from me...*shudder*
     Reply #6 - April 01, 2009, 04:27 PM

I checked out the list and a couple of members are British expats in Australia and live just down the street from me...*shudder*

They hate immigrants so much they go to live in Australia.

Religion - The hot potato that looked delicious but ended up burning your mouth!

Knock your head on the ground, don't be miserly in your prayers, listen to your Sidi Sheikh, Allahu Akbar! - Lounes Matoub
     Reply #7 - April 01, 2009, 04:28 PM

I have like 4 members living in my town including one of my old teachers (great guy).

Interestingly enough there are 4 members who live in the UAE and 2 members who live in Saudi Arabia (one member even signed up with their AramCo email address).

So I suppose they don't exclude those who live in Muslim countries.

"I am ready to make my confession. I ask for no forgiveness father, for I have not sinned. I have only done what I needed to do to survive. I did not ask for the life that I was given, but it was given nonetheless-and with it, I did my best"
     Reply #8 - April 01, 2009, 05:03 PM

Why dont you tell them to piss off back to their own country?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #9 - April 02, 2009, 03:15 AM

Why dont you tell them to piss off back to their own country?

Guess what Australia and United Kingdom have in common IsLame?  Roll Eyes

"It may happen that the enemies of Islam may consider it expedient not to take any action against Islam, if Islam leaves them alone in their geographical boundaries... But Islam cannot agree to this unless they submit to its authority by paying Jizyah"

-Sayyid Qutb, Milestones
     Reply #10 - April 02, 2009, 03:32 AM

Unfortunately that's true.

Pre 04 no one respectable who didn't live in Dagenham or Oldham would vote for the BNP. Now they have members among the Middle management, the police, doctors, church members or church going people, retired professionals, business owners etc.

They are going for a major election push, especially after they won a seat on the GLA, they are going to be the third party in a few years at this rate.

Quite possibly, although still small the BNP is getting a greater proportion of the vote every year.

"It may happen that the enemies of Islam may consider it expedient not to take any action against Islam, if Islam leaves them alone in their geographical boundaries... But Islam cannot agree to this unless they submit to its authority by paying Jizyah"

-Sayyid Qutb, Milestones
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »