Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Nice things about Islam and Muslim culture.

(Read 56108 times)
  • Previous page 1 2 34 5 ... 7 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Nice things about Islam and Muslim culture.
     Reply #60 - March 31, 2009, 08:14 PM

Some women look really hot in Veils!  Phwoar

Unfortunately, the ones I seem to come across in real life are more like this.

B:'(B

My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." -- Mike Tyson
     Reply #61 - March 31, 2009, 08:50 PM

Cheesy - and there was I thinking you were being serious (until the last photo!)

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #62 - April 01, 2009, 05:18 AM

Some women look really hot in Veils!  Phwoar

(Clicky for piccy!)
    (Clicky for piccy!)
    (Clicky for piccy!)
    (Clicky for piccy!)
    (Clicky for piccy!)

Cheesy

They do. I think I must report this to the tribe.  Smiley

BMZ

Unfortunately, the ones I seem to come across in real life are more like this.

(Clicky for piccy!)

B:'(B

Reply #63 - April 01, 2009, 06:39 AM

Quote from: SubmissiveBob
    Some women look really hot in Veils!

Just imagine how they would look like without the veil.  grin12

Islam: where idiots meet terrorists.
     Reply #64 - April 01, 2009, 06:47 AM

I agree, though I think Hassan would give the credit to Islamic culture, not Allah.

Yes, of course - and that is obvious to most people here, but I have a feeling Ansar al-Zindiqi thinks I'm an under-cover Muslim Taqwa Technician.

I have to go now, I have got a meeting with Shiekh Obama about how we are going to take over the world for Islam  grin12
     Reply #65 - April 01, 2009, 06:56 AM

I have to go now, I have got a meeting with Shiekh Obama about how we are going to take over the world for Islam  grin12

OMG, I'm going to that too.  See you there Brother.......I mean fellow apostate.   whistling2

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #66 - April 01, 2009, 06:57 AM

Yes, of course - and that is obvious to most people here, but I have a feeling Ansar al-Zindiqi thinks I'm an under-cover Muslim Taqwa Technician.

This wasn't the impression I got, but if Ansar al-Zindiqi is guilty of making this assumption, you are guilty of assuming that people who disagree with you must be "right-wing bigots."

At any rate, both mine and Ansar's posts were trying to refute the statement that Islamic culture should get any credit.

Reply #67 - April 01, 2009, 10:43 AM

That's true and I know some people here have a lot of anger towards Islam and by association Muslims also, but I personally am not angry towards Islam and don't feel anything or anyone has betrayed me - and I would rather see us project a more balanced image on this forum than a lot of angry people.

It would have been nice if we could have had a positive thread about Islam, just to show that although we are apostates we are fair-minded, balanced and not extreme.

I used to get so fed up with some Muslims who were so blinkered and selective in their view of Islam & Muslims that they thought everything associated with it was wonderful and Muslims could do no wrong.

But when I read some posts on here it feels like I have just changed the flavour of the blinkered and unbalanced thinking.

I know most here are not like that, but it's a shame that any attempt to keep things in perspective are scuttled and I'm just getting a bit weary of it.

I feel very betrayed and I am very angry at Islam and god (I've even taken to spelling god's name with a low case 'g' to show my disrespect for him). Though I try not to let it cloud my judgement, I did that when I was a muslim and I don't want it to carry on after I realised this. I hate being hypocritical but it is very difficult at times.

Quote from: PeruvianSkies
    It's not a surprise, it's probably because it reminds them of a religion that betrayed them.

For me, this is not the case.

My problem with Islam is completely ideological. If reducing this to "anger against Islam" or "just changing the flavour of hatred" will make some people feel better, let them do so. Nobody is obliged to to feel any respect to any aspect of Islam or Islamic culture, or pretend to do so, in order to appease some vague concept of "balance." Who knows, maybe I am a xenophobe too, even though I was born into Islam. After all, I have been accused of "bigotry" at least once in this forum. This just shows how far some people can get attached to their vision, and judge other people accordingly.

I am going to repeat, positive stereotypes are as wrong as negative stereotypes. What exactly is "imbalanced" about this statement? I hear such accusations every time there is a controversial subject, yet nobody bothers to refute the anti-Islamic arguments hanging in the air, and I am expected to convince myself that there is any intrinsic value to be found in Islam for the sake of what? Moderation? Moderation according to whom?

The pedophilia thread, for example. Some people, apparently, think that rejecting/rewording Mohammad's pedophilia makes us very "tolerant" and "moderate."

You do sound to me like someone who feels betrayed Tongue I completely agree with the bold bits.
     Reply #68 - April 01, 2009, 11:01 AM

It's not a surprise, it's probably because it reminds them of a religion that betrayed them.

For me, this is not the case.

My problem with Islam is completely ideological. If reducing this to "anger against Islam" or "just changing the flavour of hatred" will make some people feel better, let them do so. Nobody is obliged to to feel any respect to any aspect of Islam or Islamic culture, or pretend to do so, in order to appease some vague concept of "balance." Who knows, maybe I am a xenophobe too, even though I was born into Islam. After all, I have been accused of "bigotry" at least once in this forum. This just shows how far some people can get attached to their vision, and judge other people accordingly.

I am going to repeat, positive stereotypes are as wrong as negative stereotypes. What exactly is "imbalanced" about this statement? I hear such accusations every time there is a controversial subject, yet nobody bothers to refute the anti-Islamic arguments hanging in the air, and I am expected to convince myself that there is any intrinsic value to be found in Islam for the sake of what? Moderation? Moderation according to whom?

The pedophilia thread, for example. Some people, apparently, think that rejecting/rewording Mohammad's pedophilia makes us very "tolerant" and "moderate."

Quote from: Alsar al-Zindiqi
    These people deserve the credit. Not Allah or even Islam.

I agree, though I think Hassan would give the credit to Islamic culture, not Allah.

There were brilliant people born into the Islamic world, yes, but why should Islam get any share of their individual glory? The credit always belongs to the individual. Would these people be less brilliant if they were born into another culture?

There is, for example, at least one Ottoman architect who designed majestic mosques. Wouldn't he design equally grand churches in he were born into the Christian Europe?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinan

From wiki about sinan:
    Sinan was born a Christian in Anatolia in a small town called Ağırnas near the city of Kayseri, either of Greek[4][5][6] or Armenian[7][8][9] origin. In 1935, a group of Turkish scientists settled to determine Sinan's ethnic origins by exhuming his remains in order to examine his cranium. The conclusion, affirming his Turkishness Huh?, was published in the 5 August 1935 issue of the Cumhuriyet.[10]In 1512, he was conscripted into Ottoman service via the Devşirme system. He went to Istanbul as a recruit to the Janissary Corps, and was circumcised as he was converted to Islam.

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
     Reply #69 - April 01, 2009, 11:09 AM

You do sound to me like someone who feels betrayed

I do feel angry at Islam, but I do not feel betrayed.

Reply #70 - April 01, 2009, 11:20 AM

Me too, I feel angry that it so obviously a con and some others dont get it, but dont feel betrayed as we all allow it to happen to ourselves. 

I am glad I had it in my life, as I think the process of ditching this all-consuming philosophy is enriching and added depth to my life.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #71 - April 01, 2009, 11:22 AM

I am glad I had it in my life, as I think the process of ditching this all-consuming philosophy is enriching and added depth to my life.

Absolutely.  I have gone past the betrayed feeling to recognising what a stronger person I am, and how much more open my mind became in leaving it.  It all hleps make us who we are today, and we are great if I do say so myself.  grin12

Reply #72 - April 01, 2009, 12:24 PM

Me too, I feel angry that it so obviously a con and some others dont get it, but dont feel betrayed as we all allow it to happen to ourselves. 

Agreed. Because of this experience I wont be falling for any other similar crap. But I'm still angry and betrayed, that will take a while for me to get over.
     Reply #73 - April 01, 2009, 12:55 PM

Absolutely.  I have gone past the betrayed feeling to recognising what a stronger person I am, and how much more open my mind became in leaving it.  It all hleps make us who we are today, and we are great if I do say so myself.  grin12

Completely agree with IsLame and Berbs  Afro
     Reply #74 - April 01, 2009, 12:58 PM

Agreed. Because of this experience I wont be falling for any other similar crap. But I'm still angry and betrayed, that will take a while for me to get over.

I don't feel angry coz my experiences were not bad and I feel have gained a lot. I also don't feel betrayed coz it was my fault  that I got into it - no-one else's. But I don't regret getting into it as I am happy with the place where I am right now - and I might not be here if my path had been different.

Smiley
     Reply #75 - April 01, 2009, 01:20 PM

Someone here was talking about beautiful architecture?

Some Grotesques:

Here is some non-religious buildings - a missing feature in islamic architecture.

A roman bath:

Some more religious buildings - i aplologize for the lack of geometry, the people must have been too damn creative with their chisels.

An artist rendering:

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
     Reply #76 - April 01, 2009, 01:37 PM

Beautiful Baal - and here is some beautiful Islamic Architecture - and it is Islamic Architecture. The fact that it may be derivative doesn't matter - everything is derivative - nothing comes out of a vacuum.

Reply #77 - April 01, 2009, 01:43 PM

That 4th picture is quite pretty Hassan (the 5th is quite ugly IMO). Baal, I love egyption hyroglyphics and art, those last 3 pictures are great!
     Reply #78 - April 01, 2009, 01:49 PM

That 4th picture is quite pretty Hassan (the 5th is quite ugly IMO). Baal, I love egyption hyroglyphics and art, those last 3 pictures are great!

Really?  I love the 5th one, my imagination could run riot in a place like that.  Cheesy

I also love egyptian stuff, but I'm not too keen on churches, give me the creeps ever since I watched the original Omen as a kid.  Tongue

Reply #79 - April 01, 2009, 02:07 PM

Was hoping someone would reply with the mosque of cordoba or the palace of muhammad ali. Such buildings are such a rarity in the islamic world that we know them by bane. The pictures i posted could be confused with any number of dozens cathedrals spread all over europe. Notre-Dame being the most famous mainly because it is in paris.

Beside being a rarity in the world of islamic architecture, the mosque of cordoba was built on top of a church, at a time when muslims were a super-minority. The only thing islamic about the mosque is that it is a mosque, and that the christians/spanish who built it were paid/forced to build a mosque on top of their own church.

Here is an interesting snippet on the history of the mosque, note how they had to make the mosque face the qibla somehow because the building originally on the location had no concept of what a qibla is.

The mosque was first built in 784-6 CE supposedly on the site of a former Church. The original hall was as small as nine naves and twelve bays arranged perpendicularly to the qibla wall (the wall facing Mecca). During the reign of Abd-al Rahman II (833-52), the hall was lengthened by eight bays and possibly widened by two naves. The second expansion came during the reign of al-Hakam II (961-76) who more than doubled the original size by adding twelve bays. He also added a dome over the central nave and an intricately decorated mihrab to the qibla wall as well as three more domes there. According to Oleg Grabar in The Art and Architecture of Islam, 650-1250 it was also at this time that "the area in front of the mihrab was separated from the rest of the mosque, constituting a maqsura" (p129). A maqsura is a decorated screen which encloses the mihrab area and was normally intended as a protection for the caliph, who would pray in this area,[/quote

Reply #80 - April 01, 2009, 02:10 PM

Really?  I love the 5th one, my imagination could run riot in a place like that.  Cheesy

It's too simple and I don't like the colour.
     Reply #81 - April 01, 2009, 02:14 PM

And the picture of the yellow on blue, the shiia mosque. That is not geometric, i was replying to geometric buildings. The fact that geometric designs no longer appeal to me like they did when i was a kid. Geometric designs should be used as a background or a filler for a main attraction. To contrast and promote the main attraction. But geometry for the sake of geometry will very quickly outlive its allure and become boring.

The tip of a column, the frame of a picture, the marble around a statue, that is where geometry excels. But to have an entire country, dedicated to the building of One type of institution. And the architecture of this institution is just geometric for the sake of contrasting even more geometry, is just boring.

And for that matter, the yellow and blue, as beautiful as it is, you will have to concede that the halls do lack a main attraction. a picture. a statue. etc..

Reply #82 - April 01, 2009, 02:20 PM

Went back to look at the picture of cordoba. The allure of the first time of the post is already gone. The arches are boring. Red paint, White paint. Kudos to the builders for being able to replicate the column heads. Replication is often hard to maintain. Otherwise, the place looks to me like an unfinished room. Like a building still in progress.

Reply #83 - April 01, 2009, 05:11 PM

Anyone here ever been to the Badshahi Masjid and Shalimar Gardens in Lahore?  Now I thought they were beautiful examples of Islamic architecture, if a bit worn down.

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

The sleeper has awakened -  Dune

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish!
     Reply #84 - April 01, 2009, 05:52 PM

Anyone here ever been to the Badshahi Masjid and Shalimar Gardens in Lahore?  Now I thought they were beautiful examples of Islamic architecture, if a bit worn down.

I've been inside the Badshahi Masjid, but I can't remember whether I've been to Shalimar Gardens.

When I went several years ago I didn't know much about the history.  I'd appreciate it much more if I went now.

Reply #85 - April 01, 2009, 06:31 PM

When I get the time I'll try to upload some of my pics from when I went several years ago.  Also, the Shish Mahal is AMAZING!

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

The sleeper has awakened -  Dune

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish!
     Reply #86 - April 01, 2009, 06:34 PM

I enjoyed climbing up Minare Pakistan and getting a nice view of Lahore. Smiley

Reply #87 - April 01, 2009, 06:55 PM

When I went to Bangladesh, they treated me like a king. Actually, they over did it. I was constantly being overstuffed.

BYum YumB

My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." -- Mike Tyson
     Reply #88 - April 01, 2009, 07:16 PM

Was hoping someone would reply with the mosque of cordoba or the palace of muhammad ali. Such buildings are such a rarity in the islamic world that we know them by bane. The pictures i posted could be confused with any number of dozens cathedrals spread all over europe. Notre-Dame being the most famous mainly because it is in paris.

Beside being a rarity in the world of islamic architecture, the mosque of cordoba was built on top of a church, at a time when muslims were a super-minority. The only thing islamic about the mosque is that it is a mosque, and that the christians/spanish who built it were paid/forced to build a mosque on top of their own church.

Here is an interesting snippet on the history of the mosque, note how they had to make the mosque face the qibla somehow because the building originally on the location had no concept of what a qibla is.

The mosque was first built in 784-6 CE supposedly on the site of a former Church. The original hall was as small as nine naves and twelve bays arranged perpendicularly to the qibla wall (the wall facing Mecca). During the reign of Abd-al Rahman II (833-52), the hall was lengthened by eight bays and possibly widened by two naves. The second expansion came during the reign of al-Hakam II (961-76) who more than doubled the original size by adding twelve bays. He also added a dome over the central nave and an intricately decorated mihrab to the qibla wall as well as three more domes there. According to Oleg Grabar in The Art and Architecture of Islam, 650-1250 it was also at this time that "the area in front of the mihrab was separated from the rest of the mosque, constituting a maqsura" (p129). A maqsura is a decorated screen which encloses the mihrab area and was normally intended as a protection for the caliph, who would pray in this area,

I'm tired Baal... really tired - not sure what the heck I'm doing here coz I sure am tired of constantly trying to defend Islam from the charge that it it is all bad and produced nothing good and should be wiped off the face of the earth.

(as well as the belief that some seem to hold that my Muslim family should be forcibly deported and Islam suppressed using violence if necessary.)

I keep hoping that this place will move away from this - but there are always ppl who keep bringing it back to this.

I guess too many ppl believe that's what an ex-Muslim forum is for and just can't leave us alone.

But I'm really, really tired of it and have better things to do.
     Reply #89 - April 02, 2009, 01:07 AM

I'm tired Baal... really tired - not sure what the heck I'm doing here coz I sure am tired of constantly trying to defend Islam from the charge that it it is all bad and produced nothing good and should be wiped off the face of the earth.

Well, if there's anything good in Islam using architecture as an example hasn't worked too well to get that message across.
    (as well as the belief that some seem to hold that my Muslim family should be forcibly deported and Islam suppressed using violence if necessary.)

I don't know if you're talking about your biological family or the ummah in general but if it's shown that certain families purposefully create enmity towards those they consider "outsiders" (be they Muslim or anything else) and if they immigrated to another place with the view to imposing their ideology on others then such measures should be considered. Let's put it this way: If a bunch of neo-Nazis from another country moved into your neighborhood and starting raising hell while their other members stood by passively or rationalized the violence perpetrated by fellow neo-Nazis and did this for years would you not think that there is something drastically wrong with immigration policies that allow such people to move into your neighborhood in the first place and that something needs to be done? Come on. How about it?

I keep hoping that this place will move away from this - but there are always ppl who keep bringing it back to this.

With all the lies and falsehoods being perpetrated by Muslims as well the ridiculous claims that make use of conflations such as "Islamic civilization" and "Islamic architecture" more non-believers will question such assertions and find them wanting. More and more people are just not awestruck anymore by photos of nice buildings and cool calligraphy. Especially when they start to understand that all that cool calligraphy contains some grotesque messages and that some of these "beautiful" mosques have a horrible history. So it's not a matter of people "bringing it back to this". It's a matter of the reality of Islamic brutality and the behaviors of so many Muslims that causes them to at first doubt the "nice things" in Islam  and then to realize how sketchy those claims are.

I guess too many ppl believe that's what an ex-Muslim forum is for and just can't leave us alone.

Then is an ex-Muslim forum created to promote the idea that there are good things in Islam and that "good things" have been produced due to this ideology though the course of 1400 years? There may be but the bad things are generally considered to outweigh the good things and that's not going to change any time soon. So much so that   
    even this thread has shown how the usual claims to back that up have been debunked. Maybe something else that is "good" and Islamic should be used as an example. Any ideas?

And this idea of "leaving us alone" does echo the sentiments of much of the Muslim community in the West. Somehow or another too many Muslims think they can forever keep their enclosure system functioning smoothly if they are not confronted by criticisms from outside but it has never been truly a "functional" community. Those who leave Islam but still entertain this yearning to be "left alone" are showing that denial isn't just a river in Egypt - it's also a clear sign of not having the will to confront their problems.

For example, should anyone just listen passively to Mi'Amo Jihad and ignore the fact that that same person also wrote Get Raped? Should such a person just be "left alone" and not called to account for it? Should a wall of excuses be built to keep away prying eyes and crucial questions just so someone else can have a sense of well-being and security? I think not.

But I'm really, really tired of it and have better things to do.

In light of the fact that this thread has shown that some things that appear to be "good things" produced by Islam are not so good should not make you tired or even discourage you from developing your own intellect. Withdrawing into yourself at this critical juncture simply delays the confrontation with your own shadow. Which, I feel, is inevitable no matter how well buffered your immediate environment is.
  • Previous page 1 2 34 5 ... 7 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »