Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 06:51 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 28, 2024, 06:41 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 27, 2024, 01:26 PM

New Britain
April 27, 2024, 08:42 AM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 02:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 05:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 08:53 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: How can we hear our own thoughts?

(Read 2193 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • How can we hear our own thoughts?
     OP - January 31, 2010, 08:07 PM

This without speaking, or using our ears really.

Similarly, how can we see without our eyes? In the eyes of our mind, we can imagine things, with our eyes closed. I guess it's related to dreams. We can see and hear when asleep, not fully conscious. But I find it more remarkable to do this when conscious.

Is it possible to smell without there being any scents? Like can I imagine to smell a flower in my mind? It seems rather difficult. I can imagine the touch of sand paper, I feel the sensation over my fingers, but I think that's a memory. Not the same thing as hearing my thoughts in real time.  How about taste?

Another question, in my case my inner voice does not correspond to my real voice. I'm always surprised to hear a recording of myself. But I recognize the sound of my inner voice. It's so strange, how was this developed? I can also imagine singing without singing, and other voices and musical instruments.
  • Re: How can we hear our own thoughts?
     Reply #1 - January 31, 2010, 09:37 PM

Hearing a recording of my voice always makes me say WHAAAAT THATS ME??

And yes Ive wondered what youre wondering, and all I can say is EVOLUTION IS MAGNIFICENT

Maliki yawm ul LULZ
  • Re: How can we hear our own thoughts?
     Reply #2 - January 31, 2010, 09:41 PM

Perhaps Vygotsky's most important contribution concerns the inter-relationship of language development and thought. This concept, explored in Vygotsky's book Thought and Language, (alternative translation: Thinking and Speaking) establishes the explicit and profound connection between speech (both silent inner speech and oral language), and the development of mental concepts and cognitive awareness. It should be noted that Vygotsky described inner speech as being qualitatively different from normal (external) speech. Although Vygotsky believed inner speech developed from external speech via a gradual process of internalization, with younger children only really able to "think out loud," he claimed that in its mature form inner speech would be unintelligible to anyone except the thinker, and would not resemble spoken language as we know it (in particular, being greatly compressed). Hence, thought itself develops socially.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lev_Vygotsky

"...every imperfection in man is a bond with heaven..." - Karl Marx
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »