Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 14, 2024, 05:54 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Lost to science - the world's biggest collection of lizard poo

(Read 3739 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Lost to science - the world's biggest collection of lizard poo
     OP - February 26, 2009, 07:55 PM

Lost to science - the world's biggest collection of lizard poo

For centuries the steaming jungles of the globe and the slithering, scuttling but often unseen creatures that inhabit them have beckoned mysteriously to adventurers, biologists and botanists. But it was not a myth or legend, nor a rare bird or secretive serpent that lured Daniel Bennett to the rainforests of the Philippines. It was lizard poo. Kilos and kilos of it.

After five years spent in hot and difficult pursuit of the rare butaan lizard, cousin to the mighty komodo dragon, the PhD student had managed to collect 35kg (77lb) of its faeces.

Which perhaps explains why he was so furious to return to Leeds University for his third year only to discover that a lab technician had thrown out his sack of samples.

"I was surprised to find my desk space occupied by another student," he said. "My personal effects had been carefully stowed in boxes, but there was no sign of my 35kg bag of lizard shit."

Bennett told the Times Higher Education supplement: "To some people it might have been just a bag of lizard shit, but to me it represented seven years of painstaking work searching the rainforest with a team of reformed poachers to find the faeces of one of the world's largest, rarest and most mysterious lizards."

While Bennett admitted he could not say for sure whether the bag had represented "the largest collection of lizard shit in the world", he added: "It certainly contained the only dietary sample from that little-known species Varanus olivaceus, and probably the most complete dietary record of any single population of animals in south-east Asia."

He said the lizard's extremely reclusive nature meant that it could not be studied in the same way as the komodo dragon, compelling him to invent his own his faeces-based methodology to avoid disturbing his timorous subject.

The loss of the bag, said the scientist, had left him reeling and "altered the course of my life forever".

He has declined the university's offer of 500 pounds in compensation, opting instead to "see them in court".

Leeds University said that it had responded to Bennett's official complaint and given him a full apology in August last year, but was unaware of any legal action.

"The loss of these samples was an unfortunate mistake," the university said in a statement. "They were thrown away in error because they were in an unmarked bag. Lessons have been learned and protocols improved to ensure this cannot happen again."

The statement added that Bennett was due to graduate this year - "subject to minor corrections to his thesis unrelated to the loss of the materials".

So now the dude needs to get his shit together again. Tis a terrible tragedy. Grin

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
  • Re: Lost to science - the world's biggest collection of lizard poo
     Reply #1 - February 27, 2009, 10:52 AM

I actually have sympathy for him, but what a crappy study subject lol. Then again, a science career sucks. It is perfectly possible to waste years of study with a single wrong act. 

Islam: where idiots meet terrorists.
     Reply #2 - February 27, 2009, 11:00 AM

Reminds me of a buddy of mine who, in 1976, drove 200 preserved eel specimens in jars,200 miles for me, even though a couple of the jars had leaked all the preservative out and the eels in them had rotted.
    200 miles, with all the windows wound down, in the pouring rain - now that's what I call friendship.

Religion is ignorance giftwrapped in lyricism.
     Reply #3 - February 27, 2009, 11:04 AM

Poor guy. ?500 is not enough to compensate for years of work, that figure was a joke!

I don't agree with you Zaephon, I would personally love a science career though perhaps not one studying faeces:P
     Reply #4 - February 27, 2009, 11:09 AM

So, what are they going to do about his PhD, I wonder?

Reply #5 - February 27, 2009, 11:22 AM

I don't agree with you Zaephon, I would personally love a science career though perhaps not one studying faeces:P

Well I'm studying to be a scientist, I'll graduate in several months. I did my internships and I'm not quite keen on a scientific career. Sure, it looks rosy from a distance but when you step into the world of science, it's different. When you're doing the experiment for the umpteenth time and when it's not working again, it is difficult not to lose interest.

You have to extremely persistent, extremely ambitious and extremely hard-working to be somebody in the scientific world. Three qualities that I don't have.

Reply #6 - February 27, 2009, 11:28 AM

Well I'm studying to be a scientist, I'll graduate in several months. I did my internships and I'm not quite keen on a scientific career. Sure, it looks rosy from a distance but when you step into the world of science, it's different. When you're doing the experiment for the umpteenth time and when it's not working again, it is difficult not to lose interest.

You have to extremely persistent, extremely ambitious and extremely hard-working to be somebody in the scientific world. Three qualities that I don't have.

Ah fair enough. How come you're studying to be a scientist then? (Also, if I may ask, what are you studying?)
     Reply #7 - February 27, 2009, 11:29 AM

What's your field Zaephon?

Reply #8 - February 27, 2009, 03:02 PM

What's your field Zaephon?

Biology.

Reply #9 - February 27, 2009, 08:07 PM

What, generally, or some biological speciality?

Reply #10 - February 27, 2009, 08:51 PM

Quote from: PeruvianSkies
    Ah fair enough. How come you're studying to be a scientist then?

Long, long story. My parents wanted me to study medicine, but medicine is even worse than biology. I always wanted to be a writer, but I was always discouraged, or at least encouraged to have another job "to feed myself."

I actually like my field, it's just that I don't have the ambition to be a good scientist.

Quote from: sojournerlumus
    What, generally, or some biological speciality?

Yes, some special topic. Check your PMs

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »