Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Me

(Read 6732 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Me
     OP - February 25, 2009, 12:31 AM

I have already been quite active on this forum so I thought I should better introduce myself!

Throughout my childhood, I was quite devout but as I got older, in my early 20s, I began to realise that it did not really add up. I realised there is absolutely no real evidence for Islam anywhere. i began to study Islam and the more and more I studied it, the more I realised it probably is not true. I think it is very ironic that I know more about Islam than most devout people I know!

Needless to say, I am not opposed to Islam and I am not opposed to Muslims. What I am opposed to however, is people believing in what they have always believed in and not questioning it, thinking critically or thinking outside of the box.

Thats about it really!

Religion - The hot potato that looked delicious but ended up burning your mouth!

Knock your head on the ground, don't be miserly in your prayers, listen to your Sidi Sheikh, Allahu Akbar! - Lounes Matoub
  • Re: Me
     Reply #1 - February 25, 2009, 12:44 AM

Salam and welcome aliadiere,

It's great to have you here.  Afro

German ex-Muslim forumMy YouTubeList of Ex-Muslims
    Wikis: en de fr ar tr
    CEMB-Chat
    I'm on an indefinite break...
     Reply #2 - February 25, 2009, 02:52 AM

signwelcome aliadiere, great to have you here, hope you hang around. Afro

World renowned historian Will Durant"...the Islamic conquest of India is probably the bloodiest story in history. It is a discouraging tale, for its evident moral is that civilization is a precious good, whose delicate complex order and freedom can at any moment be overthrown..."
     Reply #3 - February 25, 2009, 02:54 AM

Welcome Aboard,

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
     Reply #4 - February 25, 2009, 03:12 AM

Sounds like a sensible attitude, aliadiere. Welcome to the forum.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #5 - February 25, 2009, 07:34 AM

Welcome Aliadiere.   Smiley

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #6 - February 25, 2009, 08:25 AM

Vilkommen

I chose to get circumcised at 17, don't tell me I never believed.
     Reply #7 - February 25, 2009, 09:14 AM

Welcome aboard.  dance

Islam: where idiots meet terrorists.
     Reply #8 - February 25, 2009, 04:24 PM

Greetings

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I remain.
     Reply #9 - February 26, 2009, 08:55 AM

hello, I hope you are more active than I am... I started out not to bad... now I just lurk
     Reply #10 - February 26, 2009, 09:39 AM

well its still better to be a "floater" than nothing at all  Smiley

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #11 - February 26, 2009, 10:15 AM

Throughout my childhood, I was quite devout but as I got older, in my early 20s, I began to realise that it did not really add up. I realised there is absolutely no real evidence for Islam anywhere.

Good to have you hear. Its amazing how some can see it doesn't add up whereas the majority, growinf up in it, cannot.

Needless to say, I am not opposed to Islam and I am not opposed to Muslims. What I am opposed to however, is people believing in what they have always believed in and not questioning it, thinking critically or thinking outside of the box.

You're opposed to people believing in what they always believed in. But what they 'always' beleived in is Islam. Therefore you do indirectly oppose Islam?

Knowing Islam is the only true religion we do not allow propagation of any other religion. How can we allow building of churches and temples when their religion is wrong? Thus we will not allow such wrong things in our countries. - Zakir Naik
     Reply #12 - February 26, 2009, 10:19 AM

Welcome!  bunny Great to have ya here  dance
     Reply #13 - February 26, 2009, 12:19 PM

Throughout my childhood, I was quite devout but as I got older, in my early 20s, I began to realise that it did not really add up. I realised there is absolutely no real evidence for Islam anywhere.

Good to have you hear. Its amazing how some can see it doesn't add up whereas the majority, growinf up in it, cannot.

You're opposed to people believing in what they always believed in. But what they 'always' beleived in is Islam. Therefore you do indirectly oppose Islam?

I am not opposed to Islam - I have respect for converts to the religion because they have come to the decision by themselves, and not because it is what they have always known. What I am opposed to is people accepting what they have always assumed to be true, and then giving stick to people who don't agree with them.

Religion - The hot potato that looked delicious but ended up burning your mouth!

Knock your head on the ground, don't be miserly in your prayers, listen to your Sidi Sheikh, Allahu Akbar! - Lounes Matoub
     Reply #14 - February 26, 2009, 01:32 PM

Good to have you hear. Its amazing how some can see it doesn't add up whereas the majority, growing up in it, cannot.

I have always wondered this, on a deeper level, why do you think this is?  Why are we different?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #15 - February 26, 2009, 01:38 PM

www.time.com/time/covers/1101041025/

Coz we lack this God Gene? grin12 Or we're the pioneers in a wider mass movement?

World renowned historian Will Durant"...the Islamic conquest of India is probably the bloodiest story in history. It is a discouraging tale, for its evident moral is that civilization is a precious good, whose delicate complex order and freedom can at any moment be overthrown..."
     Reply #16 - February 26, 2009, 01:43 PM

Coz we lack this God Gene? grin12 Or we're the pioneers in a wider mass movement?

But why are we the pioneers and not them?  Also your link does not work again, it just pulls up the front cover and unable to access article

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #17 - February 26, 2009, 01:51 PM

But why are we the pioneers and not them?  Also your link does not work again, it just pulls up the front cover and unable to access article

Its about the front Cover only, there're a couple of small articles which can be accessed in the link. I read this article in the Time Magazine some time back, that humans are predisposed to believe in a Higher Power.

Why some people question, some don't isn't easy to answer. The strength of family indoctrination, the alternative viewpoints one is exposed to via a comprehensive and multi faceted education, the company one keeps-how devout or unbelieving they are, the ability to face one's fears by examining facts dispassionately rather than preferring to limit one's options  & stay in the safe cocoon of faith are all factors. The right combination of these produces skepticism, the wrong combo or absence of any exposure outside family indoctrination, or exposure which comes too late after being thoroughly indoctrinated creates blind faith. mysmilie_977

Reply #18 - February 26, 2009, 02:04 PM

Its about the front Cover only, there're a couple of small articles which can be accessed in the link. I read this article in the Time Magazine some time back, that humans are predisposed to believe in a Higher Power.

Not sure how genes can affect your psychology, as genes only affect your biological makeup & not the way you think?  Otherwise there would be no atheists, as most athiests, if not all of them, had ancestors, if not our parents, that believed in a higher being? 

Why some people question, some don't isn't easy to answer. The strength of family indoctrination, the alternative viewpoints one is exposed to via a comprehensive and multi faceted education, the company one keeps-how devout or unbelieving they are, the ability to face one's fears by examining facts dispassionately rather than preferring to limit one's options  & stay in the safe cocoon of faith are all factors. The right combination of these produces skepticism, the wrong combo or absence of any exposure outside family indoctrination, or exposure which comes too late after being thoroughly indoctrinated creates blind faith. mysmilie_977

But that is partly my point, there must be something else.  We can show many examples of people with all these criteria and be a strong Muslim, and have none of them and still be an atheist.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #19 - February 26, 2009, 02:17 PM

Honestly, I think personality type (mbti) has alot to do with whether someone will question the status quo or not.

I could almost lay money on the majority of the users at this forum being certain mbti types.

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #20 - February 26, 2009, 02:47 PM

Not sure how genes can affect your psychology, as genes only affect your biological makeup & not the way you think?  Otherwise there would be no atheists, as most athiests, if not all of them, had ancestors, if not our parents, that believed in a higher being? 

Well, all the Europeans who started being skeptical of the existence of witchesin the 18th century were probably kids of parents who believed in witches too! witch Its also a matter of changing moral zeitgeist, but there might've been a skeptic element in our genetic make up, which would've caused our ancestors to question religious dogma, had other circumstances allowed.

But that is partly my point, there must be something else.  We can show many examples of people with all these criteria and be a strong Muslim, and have none of them and still be an atheist.

Many people are pre disposed to behave or believe in a particular way, there're no easy answers for this. People with these criteria are significantly more likely to be skeptics, just like Turkey has more skeptics than Saudi & Bangladesh, yet there's no surefire answer to why some are skeptics & some aren't. Studies correlate IQ & higher education to more skepticism, yet some devout believers are very intelligent & erudite.

Why are some people politically left, centre or right? Why do some people have such a strong need to be a high achiever, while others are more laidback?

Very difficult to say exactly why. Thinking hard

Reply #21 - February 26, 2009, 04:30 PM

Many people are pre disposed to behave or believe in a particular way, there're no easy answers for this. People with these criteria are significantly more likely to be skeptics, just like Turkey has more skeptics than Saudi & Bangladesh, yet there's no surefire answer to why some are skeptics & some aren't. Studies correlate IQ & higher education to more skepticism, yet some devout believers are very intelligent & erudite.

Why are some people politically left, centre or right? Why do some people have such a strong need to be a high achiever, while others are more laidback?

Very difficult to say exactly why. Thinking hard

Turkey has a simple reason, Attaturk.  The others more difficult. Political leaning - I think is closely linked to parents, and achievement desire is again linked imo to your parental upbringing and your needs.  However for me, atheism is much more ambiguous.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #22 - February 26, 2009, 06:27 PM

Quote from: Rashna

It has very little to do with genetics, I assure you.

Islam: where idiots meet terrorists.
     Reply #23 - February 26, 2009, 06:54 PM

Allow me to generalise and play devils advocate for a second, as I think out aloud.

How about deep thinkers? Those that are more philosophical in their approach.  They spent more time looking outside the classroom window as a child.  They tend to daydream and are absent minded as a result.  Those that focused on the teachers turned into academics, and those that focused on other classmate became the dossers.

Is there a greater tendency for atheists to be less superficial than theists?

Thinking hard

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #24 - April 09, 2009, 01:42 PM

Allow me to generalise and play devils advocate for a second, as I think out aloud.

How about deep thinkers? Those that are more philosophical in their approach.  They spent more time looking outside the classroom window as a child.  They tend to daydream and are absent minded as a result.  Those that focused on the teachers turned into academics, and those that focused on other classmates became the dossers.

Is there a greater tendency for atheists to be less superficial than theists?

Thinking hard

Just found this old post, and nobody replied,  despite its contentious nature.  Can I take it that the majority agree?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #25 - April 09, 2009, 01:49 PM

Oh definitely. Terribly deep and thoughtful us atheists are. Just ask Dio. Grin

Reply #26 - April 09, 2009, 02:41 PM

Welcome!  far away hug
     Reply #27 - April 09, 2009, 03:02 PM

Just ask Dio. Grin

Where's Dio & Sparky gone? They were pretty regular posters when I lurked here, Sparky was around the first few days when I joined, now they're both gone.

Reply #28 - April 09, 2009, 11:04 PM

They ran away. We wasn't religulous enough for them. parrot

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »