Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Today at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Today at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Scientific Miracles in the Qur'an Debunked.

(Read 214892 times)
  • 12 3 ... 16 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Scientific Miracles in the Qur'an Debunked.
     OP - February 24, 2009, 04:40 PM

I would like to take this opportunity to write about my views of the supposed scientific miracles that the Qur'an accurately predicted.

Before I start to talk about the supposed miracles, I want to talk about some major issues I have with this idea.

1. This idea among Muslim's is a very recent phenomenon, not known before the 1970s and having gained massive popularity through the internet.

2. I have yet to see a verse in the Qur'an which clearly contains modern scientific information. All of the verses which contain supposed scientific miracles are very vague and can be taken to mean a number of things, and very often, the supposed scientific miracle is one of the least likely meanings. People often use a psychological tendency called "confirmation bias" which means to interpret information to confirm one's preconceptions and to avoid information and interpretations which contradict prior beliefs.

I know this scientific fact to be true, and the Qur'an is written by God and is therefore infallible, therefore, the Qur'an cannot mean anything else.

3. To support this concepts, Muslims often state that Mecca at the time of the prophet was a backwards place with no civilisation, full of superstition and with no knowledge of science. However, Mecca was a centre of trade and goods would pass through Mecca from Africa, Byzantium and Asia. If all these people were passing through at the time, certain religious and scientific ideas would pass through Mecca as well.
    The "science" in the Qur'an is no more remarkable than the science of the time.

Now, I would like to talk about the actual so called scientific miracles in the Qur'an.

I would like to start at the beginning with the big bang. The Qur'an apparently describes the big bang with the following verse

21:30 Do not the Unbelievers see that the heavens and the earth were joined together (as one unit of creation), before we clove them asunder? We made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?

This verse clearly does not mention the conditions of the big bang. This states that the heavens and the earth were two separate entities and they were split apart. The Earth is actually a part of the universe, not separate from it.

Secondly, Dr Zakir Naik claims that the Qur'an states that the sun rotates around the centre of the galaxy with the following verse

21:33 It is He Who created the Night and the Day, and the sun and the moon: all (the celestial bodies) swim along, each in its rounded course.

This verse clearly states that the sun and the moon rotate around the Earth, as was commonly believed at the time which agreed with the Aristotelian model of a geocentric universe. Why would God refer to the sun rotating around the centre of the galaxy in a verse about night and day? If that was the case, the verse would not make much sense.

The following verse is supposed proof that the Qur'an states that the universe is expanding which has only been discovered in the past one hundred years-

51:47 With power and skill did We construct the Firmament: for it is We Who create the vastness of pace.

However, nowhere in this verse does it say that the Universe is expanding, only that it is very big!

There are also many other verses which I will not go into much detail about because they are debatable, such as whether the Qur'an states that the Earth is flat or round. However, even if the Qur'an did state that the earth is a sphere, that would not be a scientific miracle as this fact has been commonly known for more than 2500 years.

Lastly I would like to talk about the concept of the 7 heavens in the Qur'an.

41:12 "So He completed them as seven firmaments in two Days, and He assigned to each heaven its duty and command. And We adorned the lower heaven with lights, and (provided it) with guard."

The idea of the seven heavens is very ancient and was well founded at that time which is completely contradictory to what we now know. This concept comes from the idea that the first heaven is the sun, the second heaven is the moon and the third to seventh heavens are mercury, venus, mars, saturn and jupiter. This verse also states that the stars are closer to the earth than the moon as they are in the lowest heaven!

I know a Muslim might say that this refers to a different concept of the seven heavens. But if that was the case, surely God would have explained it further, otherwise people would just think that it refers to what they already believed. If I was to write a book now, and in it I would refer to a completely new idea that I had and I called it "the big bang theory", it would be required for me to explain it further, otherwise people would just assume I was talking about what they all know to be the big bang theory.

In conclusion,  if the Qur'an was written by an all knowing, all powerful god as a guide for people to follow, surely he would not write ambiguous verses that can be taken to mean anything. Evidence of the divine nature of the Qur'an would be a verse which clearly referred to scientific knowledge which was not known at the time, was not ambiguous, and which could not be refuted. However, there are no verses in the Qur'an which are like that.

Religion - The hot potato that looked delicious but ended up burning your mouth!

Knock your head on the ground, don't be miserly in your prayers, listen to your Sidi Sheikh, Allahu Akbar! - Lounes Matoub
  • Re: Scientific Miracles in the Qur'an Debunked.
     Reply #1 - February 24, 2009, 05:37 PM

Oh Hi and welcome to the forum

I was not blessed with the ability to have blind faith. I cant beleive something just because someone says its true.
     Reply #2 - February 24, 2009, 06:01 PM

The following verse is supposed proof that the Qur'an states that the universe is expanding which has only been discovered in the past one hundred years-

51:47 With power and skill did We construct the Firmament: for it is We Who create the vastness of pace.

However, nowhere in this verse does it say that the Universe is expanding, only that it is very big!

Some have translated it as 'expanding heavens' which is an incorrect translation and deliberately misleading.

Great post, thanks Smiley
     Reply #3 - February 24, 2009, 06:36 PM

Some have translated it as 'expanding heavens' which is an incorrect translation and deliberately misleading.

Great post, thanks Smiley

I always use Marmaduke Pickthall's translation of the Qur'an, because I think this is the most reliable. Like you were saying about translating it as "expanding heavens", in some modern translations, verses are often mistranslated to make a point.

And I forgot to mention the greatest Scientific inaccuracy in the Qur'an - that shooting stars are missiles to be fired at jinns!

Religion - The hot potato that looked delicious but ended up burning your mouth!

Knock your head on the ground, don't be miserly in your prayers, listen to your Sidi Sheikh, Allahu Akbar! - Lounes Matoub
     Reply #4 - February 24, 2009, 09:05 PM

The Earth is mentioned 420 times in the koran's 6200+ verses. Not even once is Earth hinted to be anything but flat.

Even the charlatan zakir tries to claim ONE word from the koran as something resembling the egg of the ostrich. Of all the birds, the ostrich. The bird that buries its egg, then flatten the ground above the egg to hide it.

The word 'dahia', is used to describe the ostrich egg.
    The word 'dahia' is rooted in the word 'flat'.
    Basically, the word 'dahia', used to describe the egg, is synonymous with a word that means 'A location that gets flattened'.

In Arabic, there is an insult called:
     "Rouh Fe Seteen Dahia" ---> "Go in 60 'dahias''"

Rough Fe Seteen Dahia Zakir,

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
     Reply #5 - February 24, 2009, 09:15 PM

Thanks Baal, thats useful to know as I have had that argument used against me before i.e Islam predicted the earth as being round..

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #6 - February 24, 2009, 09:24 PM

In conclusion,  if the Qur'an was written by an all knowing, all powerful god as a guide for people to follow, surely he would not write ambiguous verses that can be taken to mean anything. Evidence of the divine nature of the Qur'an would be a verse which clearly referred to scientific knowledge which was not known at the time, was not ambiguous, and which could not be refuted. However, there are no verses in the Qur'an which are like that.

Precisely, well done with your piece - sounds like you are far more intelligent that the average Muslim, and a credit to your belief.

It sounds like you are on a similar journey to the one I was on, as I did something very similar to you.

In any case just wondering if you have already seen some of Hassan's videos (http://www.youtube.com/user/discussislam) - let me know what you think of them

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #7 - February 24, 2009, 09:30 PM

And I forgot to mention the greatest Scientific inaccuracy in the Qur'an - that shooting stars are missiles to be fired at jinns!

Do you have the source for this quote, as I would like to use it for our ongoing Islamic scientific critique if you dont mind(dont ask - will pm it to you)

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #8 - February 24, 2009, 10:02 PM

Do you have the source for this quote, as I would like to use it for our ongoing Islamic scientific critique if you dont mind(dont ask - will pm it to you)

I forgot to put the source in, sorry! Very forgetful of me!

67:5 And we have, (from of old), adorned the lowest heaven with Lamps, and We have made such (Lamps) (as) missiles to drive away the Evil Ones, and have prepared for them the Penalty of the Blazing Fire.

41:12 "So He completed them as seven firmaments in two Days, and He assigned to each heaven its duty and command. And We adorned the lower heaven with lights, and (provided it) with guard."

What I make of this was that it was thought in that stars and shooting stars were the same thing, as that is what you would assume from everyday common sense experience. The stuff about the jinns sounds like ordinary folklore.

I hope that helps!

Reply #9 - February 24, 2009, 10:06 PM

Even the charlatan zakir tries to claim ONE word from the koran as something resembling the egg of the ostrich. Of all the birds, the ostrich. The bird that buries its egg, then flatten the ground above the egg to hide it.

Dr Zakir Naik really disappoints me, because he is an amazingly intelligent man, and he is a man of science, but does not apply scientific method at all when doing his pieces on the relationship between the Qur'an and modern science. This is because he has very strong faith and you cannot apply scientific method to the Qur'an.

Reply #10 - February 24, 2009, 10:11 PM

It's amazing how many seemingly intelligent Muslims fall for this "scientific miracles in the Quran" nonsense.

Reply #11 - February 25, 2009, 04:32 AM

Dr Zakir Naik really disappoints me, because he is an amazingly intelligent man, and he is a man of science, but does not apply scientific method at all when doing his pieces on the relationship between the Qur'an and modern science. This is because he has very strong faith and you cannot apply scientific method to the Qur'an.

Why would he be a man of science? a lot of medical doctors around the world are not men of science, why should he be given one just because he went to med school?

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
     Reply #12 - February 25, 2009, 10:42 AM

He's a creationist so he is not exactly very scientific. He also lies a lot to get his point across.
     Reply #13 - February 25, 2009, 12:02 PM

Why would he be a man of science? a lot of medical doctors around the world are not men of science, why should he be given one just because he went to med school?

He is a man of science because he has studied science, has a medical degree and he  therefore knows how to apply scientific method. You can't have a medical degree without being able to apply scientific method.

Reply #14 - February 25, 2009, 05:10 PM

Just one thing: The "heavens and earth were joined together and then separated"-thing is an old legend from the bible, genesis 1.

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

2 Now the earth was [a] formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

3 And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light. 4 God saw that the light was good, and He separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light "day," and the darkness he called "night." And there was evening, and there was morning?the first day.

6 And God said, "Let there be an expanse between the waters to separate water from water." 7 So God made the expanse and separated the water under the expanse from the water above it. And it was so. 8 God called the expanse "sky." And there was evening, and there was morning?the second day.

UG
     Reply #15 - February 25, 2009, 06:51 PM

He is a man of science because he has studied science, has a medical degree and he  therefore knows how to apply scientific method. You can't have a medical degree without being able to apply scientific method.

Not at all. To be a doctor, the scientific method does not really happen unless the doctor himself is interested in science. The curriculum itself, universally, is very good at producing doctors with no science.

Some lab courses that had been pre-written and pre-prepared that you have to perform for year 1,2, do not make one a scientist.

Reply #16 - February 25, 2009, 08:38 PM

True - thats what I have found it my experience.  Just because someone is a doctor, scientist etc it does not mean they are apply scientific principles to their logic, or are even clever for that matter.

All it shows is that they are successful in replicating the required methodology to a chosen study.  If that is science, they will do it with scientific principles, Islam they will do it through prayer and blinkered thinking!

I have found many educated people succumb to religion on this basis.  They can be great in their careers, but leave logic behind at the workplace.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #17 - March 01, 2009, 03:09 AM

I guess the virgin birth would be a scientific miracle?? Meh, I still don't get how a woman can get preggers like Mary (Maryam) did. If that happened in this day and age, the poor woman would probably get stoned to death for being an adulterous whore.

That Maryam chick makes me suspicious.
     Reply #18 - March 01, 2009, 05:04 AM

I guess the virgin birth would be a scientific miracle?? Meh, I still don't get how a woman can get preggers like Mary (Maryam) did. If that happened in this day and age, the poor woman would probably get stoned to death for being an adulterous whore.

In this day & age, if she was a Jewish teen in Israel, she wouldn't be stoned, maybe her Haredi\Hasidic family would disown her though. If she was an Israeli Arab, she'd probably be honor killed. In most Western countries' nothing would happen to her, she'd be a welfare teen mom, living off taxpayers' money & probably ruin her chances of a good career & upward mobility.

The Maryam chick makes you just suspicious? She makes me sure that she managed to fool poor Joseph & avoid getting stoned.

Mary: Umm Joseph, gotta tell you something, I'm preggie.
    Joseph:(shocked) Whaat? You're pregnant? When? How?...
    (furious) How dare you? We're engaged, & now you won't bleed as you're supposed to, & I'll have you stoned outside your daddy's doorstep. Serves you right, you w****!
    Mary: Please Joseph, have pity, don't do this to me, please, please, I'll tell people its YHWH's baby, & the boy can pretend to be our Promised Messiah when he's born.
    Joseph: Who's YHWH actually? The boy I saw you talking to near the Temple?
    Mary: Umm yeah, but please, I don't want to be stoned. He's Roman*, so my parents won't let me marry him in a million years. Oh he looked sooo handsome in his military uniform & when he spoke to me...!(melting) 001_wub
    Joseph:(thinking) You know, if we marry quickly & even I would tell people that YHWH told me to protect you & the baby should anyone be suspicious how our baby was born so premature, we could probably pull this off.
    Mary: (happily)Yippee! No stonings for me. Smiley I knew you'd come to your senses! Oh Joseph, how can I ever thank you. I promise I'll never fool about again.

*It has been speculated since Jesus' time that Jesus' real daddy was a Roman soldier called Panthera. A soldier by that name really existed, & anti Christian Greek philosopher Celsus claimed that Jesus' father was actually Panthera. Also, the bit about "virgin" is said to be a mistranslation from Hebrew to Greek. More info about all this can be found at the apologetics site below.
    www.biblestudy.org/basicart/was-mary-a-whore-when-jesus-was-born.html

This site says some foolish stuff, like all apologetics but it speaks about the mistranslation of "young woman" into "virgin".

World renowned historian Will Durant"...the Islamic conquest of India is probably the bloodiest story in history. It is a discouraging tale, for its evident moral is that civilization is a precious good, whose delicate complex order and freedom can at any moment be overthrown..."
     Reply #19 - March 01, 2009, 06:16 AM

Huh? guess it was a hell of alot easier to believe in those miracles in the past...without that sly and pesky scientific reasoning getting in the way....Damn You Science!!!  finmad
     Reply #20 - March 03, 2009, 12:19 PM

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1578190/Minister-warns-of-inbreeding-risk-for-Muslims.html

With all the supposed scientific miracles, couldn't Muhammad stop inbreeding? Thats' basic science. The Catholic Church forbade marriage for seven generations of agnates & cognates.Quran spoke of loads of stuff but forgot to forbid marriage between cousins. dance

World renowned historian Will Durant"...the Islamic conquest of India is probably the bloodiest story in history. It is a discouraging tale, for its evident moral is that civilization is a precious good, whose delicate complex order and freedom can at any moment be overthrown..."
     Reply #21 - March 03, 2009, 12:35 PM

In this day & age, if she was a Jewish teen in Israel, she wouldn't be stoned, maybe her Haredi\Hasidic family would disown her though. If she was an Israeli Arab, she'd probably be honor killed. In most Western countries' nothing would happen to her, she'd be a welfare teen mom, living off taxpayers' money & probably ruin her chances of a good career & upward mobility.

The Maryam chick makes you just suspicious? She makes me sure that she managed to fool poor Joseph & avoid getting stoned.

Mary: Umm Joseph, gotta tell you something, I'm preggie.
    Joseph:(shocked) Whaat? You're pregnant? When? How?...
    (furious) How dare you? We're engaged, & now you won't bleed as you're supposed to, & I'll have you stoned outside your daddy's doorstep. Serves you right, you w****!
    Mary: Please Joseph, have pity, don't do this to me, please, please, I'll tell people its YHWH's baby, & the boy can pretend to be our Promised Messiah when he's born.
    Joseph: Who's YHWH actually? The boy I saw you talking to near the Temple?
    Mary: Umm yeah, but please, I don't want to be stoned. He's Roman*, so my parents won't let me marry him in a million years. Oh he looked sooo handsome in his military uniform & when he spoke to me...!(melting) 001_wub
    Joseph:(thinking) You know, if we marry quickly & even I would tell people that YHWH told me to protect you & the baby should anyone be suspicious how our baby was born so premature, we could probably pull this off.
    Mary: (happily)Yippee! No stonings for me. Smiley I knew you'd come to your senses! Oh Joseph, how can I ever thank you. I promise I'll never fool about again.

*It has been speculated since Jesus' time that Jesus' real daddy was a Roman soldier called Panthera. A soldier by that name really existed, & anti Christian Greek philosopher Celsus claimed that Jesus' father was actually Panthera. Also, the bit about "virgin" is said to be a mistranslation from Hebrew to Greek. More info about all this can be found at the apologetics site below.
    www.biblestudy.org/basicart/was-mary-a-whore-when-jesus-was-born.html

This site says some foolish stuff, like all apologetics but it speaks about the mistranslation of "young woman" into "virgin".

Cheesy

I pissed off a Muslim guy on my blog saying that Mary couldn't have been a virgin and must have had illicit relations. He sort of did ask for it since he claimed Islam and science go hand in hand. I had to prove they didn't one way or the other  Roll Eyes

Anyway, once I said that, he said 'May Allah give you brain cancer if he doesn't guide you to Islam, for saying that about Maryam yadda yadda' ...wow brain cancer. That's deep, man. That's deep.
     Reply #22 - March 03, 2009, 01:22 PM

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1578190/Minister-warns-of-inbreeding-risk-for-Muslims.html

With all the supposed scientific miracles, couldn't Muhammad stop inbreeding? Thats' basic science. The Catholic Church forbade marriage for seven generations of agnates & cognates.Quran spoke of loads of stuff but forgot to forbid marriage between cousins. dance

Reminds me of what someone once said in a debate: "if the Quran was truly miraculous and from God, it would have given a formula for creating anti-biotics and other cures for disease rather than a bunch of crazy irrelevant rules".

"I am ready to make my confession. I ask for no forgiveness father, for I have not sinned. I have only done what I needed to do to survive. I did not ask for the life that I was given, but it was given nonetheless-and with it, I did my best"
     Reply #23 - March 03, 2009, 07:48 PM

FinallyFree, i maintained for a while now that boiling water is mentioned 17 times in the koran for the purpose of torture (vile). 17 times in a relatively small book compared to what it is trying to accomplish, yet not once, are humans asked to boil water to improve their lives and avoid getting sick & killed.

I am not even asking, for equations on anti-biotics, or even an explanation of biotics, all I wanted was a command for us to use the boiling water for something other than torture by burning.

Reply #24 - March 03, 2009, 08:58 PM

I would like to take this opportunity to write about my views of the supposed scientific miracles that the Qur'an accurately predicted.

Before I start to talk about the supposed miracles, I want to talk about some major issues I have with this idea.

1. This idea among Muslim's is a very recent phenomenon, not known before the 1970s and having gained massive popularity through the internet.

I remember even before the internet one book in particular was massively popular amongst Muslims in the circles I moved in during the early 80s "The Bible, Qur'an and Science" by Maurice Bucallie (sp?)

I have never been impressed by such things, but I remember the book was passed around as a sort of 8th wonder - it would restore faith to the doubters and prove Islam was true to the rejectors.

I may be mistaken - but I think that book started this whole craze.

I think Saudis commissioned  it.
     Reply #25 - March 03, 2009, 09:47 PM

I remember even before the internet one book in particular was massively popular amongst Muslims in the circles I moved in during the early 80s "The Bible, Qur'an and Science" by Maurice Bucallie (sp?)

I have never been impressed by such things, but I remember the book was passed around as a sort of 8th wonder - it would restore faith to the doubters and prove Islam was true to the rejectors.

My dad has it, recommended me to read it. I wasn't impressed, it was utter bull.

Also I never understood why they compared the Quran to the Bible. The Bible was not written by God and is not a science book.
     Reply #26 - March 03, 2009, 11:20 PM

You are talking about this book called "The Bible, The Qur'an and Science" by Maurice Bucaille. If you know about the background of Bucaille, it might become clear why he wrote this book.

In 1973 he was employed as the family doctor of King Faisal of Saudi Arabia. In 1976, this book was published. He had a high position and was very close to the Saudi Royal Family; could it be that the Saudi Royal Family commissioned this book as a propaganda tool for Islam and Muslims (at a time when the west was making massive advances in science and the golden age of Islamic science had been long gone!).

A non Muslim scientist ( he is non muslim, therefore he must be completely unbiased) writes a book claiming that there is not one scientific error in the Qur'an, The Qur'an is in full agreement with modern science, and therefore, must be the word of god!

One question remains though. If all this is true, how come Maurice Bucaille is still not a Muslim to this day?!

Reply #27 - March 03, 2009, 11:39 PM

As has been said many times. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Which is more likely, the idea that the creator of the universe magically impregnated a girl so that her miraculous son could bring the world gods message or that a Jewish girl in a patriarchal society that fears sex told a porky pie about being a virgin?

These fairy tales are paper thin. The miracle is that so many gullible souls believe them.
     Reply #28 - March 03, 2009, 11:40 PM

I never heard of Maurice Bucaille until LadyofShallot asked about him on this forum.  When I was trying to understand her questions I went looking on You Tube, and found this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8A9DEeglXI

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #29 - February 12, 2010, 11:59 AM

I am quite interested in "Islamic Miracles" too.

What believers tend not to know is that 26 books by Aristotle were translated into Arabic before Muhammad was even born, and were available at the Alexandria library in Egypt. These books were very advanced for the time and acted as THE medical reference books around the world for many centuries. Funnily enough the mistakes in the Quran are exactly the same as the mistakes Aristotle made.

Anyway, my YouTube channel is TheRationalizer.  On this channel I discuss
    1: Mecca is at the Golden Ratio point on the Earth
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9swy6UR2Ck
    2: Some crap about Muhammad telling people where to build a Mosque proves he was better than David Copperfield or something
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6T6VD_fhEg
    3: Pharaoh's "preserved" body
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=173eLcaYdYw
    4: The Earth's geoid shape mentioned in the Quran
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_eKYKk5voY
    5: The speed of light in the Quran
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFtEzw36weE

I'm considering doing a new one, but can't decide on which load of crap to debunk next  Roll Eyes

And yes, I DO like to take the piss.

I don't come here any more due to unfair moderation.
    http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=30785
  • 12 3 ... 16 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »