Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Polygamy in the UK

(Read 4321 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Polygamy in the UK
     OP - February 21, 2009, 06:29 PM

Muslim peer claims politicians are scared of discussing polygamy
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/4734077/Muslim-peer-claims-politicians-are-scared-of-discussing-polygamy.html

To make the situation even worse they are allowed to claim benefits for additional spouses. While I have nothing wrong with consensual polygamy I am more concerned in the cases where it is not consensual. It's quite hypocritical to allow them to claim benefits for spouses when it is illegal here. It will only give rise to more demands for rights to polygamy. More ass-kissing by Labour.

• Re: Polygamy in the UK
     Reply #1 - February 21, 2009, 06:38 PM

If I remember rightly, that was done to save money.  A married couple get less benefits than two single people so recognising polygamy for benefits purposes saves the tax payer money.  If they start getting recognised for tax purposes, which would cost the tax payer money, I would be complaining, but I have no objection to people being paid less due to polygamy.

You can't stop consenting adults from making arrangements like that anyway.

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #2 - February 21, 2009, 06:43 PM

It's quite hypocritical to allow them to claim benefits for spouses when it is illegal here

According to that article you posted it seems that "Polygamous marriages that have been contracted in overseas countries are legally recognised..."

The greatest hypocrisy to me is the UK's failure to recognise Celia Kitzinger and Sue Wilkinson's legal marriage from Canada.

The language of the mob was only the language of public opinion cleansed of hypocrisy and restraint - Hannah Arendt.
     Reply #3 - February 21, 2009, 06:47 PM

If I remember rightly, that was done to save money.  A married couple get less benefits than two single people so recognising polygamy for benefits purposes saves the tax payer money.  If they start getting recognised for tax purposes, which would cost the tax payer money, I would be complaining, but I have no objection to people being paid less due to polygamy.

You can't stop consenting adults from making arrangements like that anyway.

The problem is with non-consenting couples. That's my greatest problem with polygamy (that and the fact that women are discriminated).
     Reply #4 - February 21, 2009, 06:54 PM

The problem is with non-consenting couples. That's my greatest problem with polygamy (that and the fact that women are discriminated).

Agreed. It's unfair if it's non-consensual and also I'm unaware that a polyandrous marriage is legally recognised anywhere in the world (though I may be wrong). Also what is 'consensual'. A woman may consent to a polygynous marriage because she's Muslim or Mormon etc. but may still dislike it on some other level (eg. Aisha).

The language of the mob was only the language of public opinion cleansed of hypocrisy and restraint - Hannah Arendt.
     Reply #5 - February 21, 2009, 07:13 PM

Agreed abdalwali. I have always seen love as a very selfish emotion. It must take a lot for those in consenting polygamous marriages to overcome this. I'm sure many still feel jealous deep down even if they don't like to admit it. I admire them for being able to overcome this yet I don't think such relationships should be encouraged.
     Reply #6 - February 22, 2009, 03:44 AM

Frankly I wouldn't want to marry someone who would be willing to share me with someone else, marriage-wise.

Though it has no bridge,
    The cloud climbs up to heaven;
    It does not seek the aid
    Of Gautama's sutras.

- Ikkyu
     Reply #7 - February 22, 2009, 04:07 AM

Frankly I wouldn't want to marry someone who would be willing to share me with someone else, marriage-wise.

Me neither, but I can think of quite a few women who would be more than happy to do this under particular circumstances, and they're not all oppressed women.

Don't women in the West marry old billionaires like Donald Trump or Murdoch? Obviously, the relationship has little to do with love, and all about a selfish  deal of wealth for the woman and sex for the man. Methinks many Western women would give their right hand to be Bill Gates second wife or even fifth wife, if only polygamy was legal and acceptable, and some poor pennyless men would be left without wives!;D

George Bernard Shaw said, "Polygamy when tried under modern democratic conditions, like by the Mormons is ruined by the revolt of the mass of inferior men who are reduced to celibacy by it, for the maternal instict leads a woman to prefer a tenth share of a first rate man to exclusive possession of a third." dance

On a serious note, a society which gives all kinds of freedom to people, from casual sex, to gay marriage, can't just penalise polygamy. But to make it gender equal, first polyandry should be legalized as well &  there should be some sort of pre nuptial agreement that the husband or wife won't object to a second spouse.Women from communities where they're not allowed to make free choices should be educated not to be coerced into polygamous marriages, or be forced consent to their husbands marrying a second time.

World renowned historian Will Durant"...the Islamic conquest of India is probably the bloodiest story in history. It is a discouraging tale, for its evident moral is that civilization is a precious good, whose delicate complex order and freedom can at any moment be overthrown..."
     Reply #8 - February 22, 2009, 06:49 AM

I can imagine the Christian fundies picketing it now...

I chose to get circumcised at 17, don't tell me I never believed.
     Reply #9 - February 22, 2009, 02:31 PM

I can imagine the Christian fundies picketing it now...

I was not blessed with the ability to have blind faith. I cant beleive something just because someone says its true.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »