Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Launch of COEM 21 June 2007

(Read 5298 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Launch of COEM 21 June 2007
     OP - February 20, 2009, 05:41 PM

Jun 21 2007 (source BHA website)

Launch of the Council of Ex-Muslims in BritainThe British Humanist Association, which sponsors the new Council of Ex-Muslims of Britain, was present at the launch of the new organisation at Portcullis House in Westminster this morning.

Hanne Stinson, BHA executive director, speaking at the launch, said she was delighted to be present at the birth of the Council of Ex-Muslims of Britain as a representative of one of the group's sponsors.

"When we were approached by the ex-Muslims who initially came up with the idea of this project, we were only too happy to offer our support?, she said.

"Our Association has many members who were raised in one religion or another but, until quite recently, we had comparatively few former Muslims amongst our members  perhaps because some of them have been afraid to "come out" as ex-Muslims.   But we are now getting more members from this community, and we need to do more to support them.

"The British Humanist Associations purpose, our mission,  is to support and represent people who live their lives without religion, and we should certainly be doing this for ex-Muslims, and for atheists and agnostics who live within Muslim communities, as we do for people brought up in other religions.

We know that we are very likely to be criticised for supporting the Council of Ex-Muslims of Britain  that we may well be accused of Islamophobia but as far as I am concerned this is not any kind of phobia, it's about human rights: the rights we all have; rights that we should all be defending.

We all have the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion, and this includes freedom to change our religion or belief.   If any religious group claims they have the right to stop people leaving their religion, or threatens people who renounce their religion, shouldn't we all be defending this basic human right?

As a humanist, the last thing I want to do is cause gratuitous offence.   But I believe that if we do not speak out in support of other people's human rights, we all risk losing our rights.   And if some people are offended by what I am saying, so be it. 

The atheists, agnostics and ex-Muslims who are coming together in this new Council of Ex-Muslims of Britain are courageous people.   I salute them.   And I am proud to count myself, and the British Humanist Association, amongst their supporters?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
  • Re: Launch of COEM 21 June 2007
     Reply #1 - February 20, 2009, 05:54 PM

Afro
     Reply #2 - February 20, 2009, 05:58 PM

yes
     Reply #3 - February 21, 2009, 02:06 AM

Rather. It's more or less why I got involved (t'other reason being Burbles talked me into it Grin ).

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #4 - February 21, 2009, 09:33 AM

Good on you O's - you have already made a difference. 

I understand you do most (if not all) of the background IT support which must be a handful.  Just wondering if you were, say hypothetically, one day abducted by aliens, have you got a document that explains how everything works?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #5 - February 21, 2009, 12:44 PM

Actually it isn't much of a drama these days. The site is set up. The software is stable and so is the server, so apart from making sure the database is backed up there really isn't a lot that needs doing most of the time.

The place isn't fully documented here but it's a fairly standard SMF/TP combination and docs are available for that on the source sites.

Reply #6 - February 21, 2009, 02:14 PM

Glad to hear that..

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #7 - February 21, 2009, 09:37 PM

I suppose I should sort more docs. Handy having me backed up as well as the database. It is something that bothers me a tad. 

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »