Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 06:44 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Today at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Today at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: mountains are pegs.

(Read 4754 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • mountains are pegs.
     OP - February 14, 2009, 05:11 PM

21:31
    YUSUFALI: And We have set on the earth mountains standing firm, lest it should shake with them, and We have made therein broad highways (between mountains) for them to pass through: that they may receive Guidance.
     I would like to know what you guys think about mountain are responsible for stablizing earth's crust. 'cause the last time i had an enquiry, it went like this:

http://whyislam.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=24567&PID=518165#518165

the girl gave me this link http://en.allexperts.com/q/Geology-1359/2009/1/RE-statement-mountains-1.htm  to support her claim which i highly doubt the authencity of the website. I mean any Tom, Dick or Harry can sign up right? Huh?

http://www.allexperts.com/user.cgi?m=2&catID=695
  • Re: mountains are pegs.
     Reply #1 - February 14, 2009, 09:07 PM

21:31
    YUSUFALI: And We have set on the earth mountains standing firm, lest it should shake with them, and We have made therein broad highways (between mountains) for them to pass through: that they may receive Guidance.
     I would like to know what you guys think about mountain are responsible for stablizing earth's crust. 'cause the last time i had an enquiry, it went like this:

I wonder who 'they' are...

Anyway, the girl you were arguing with on that other site seemed a little confused:  she thought that you thought the Quran meant mountains stopped the Earth from rotating. 

In any case, as far as I know, mountains aren't pegs that stabilize the Earth. 

there are lots of animations and images if you google 'how mountains form' or 'convection earth's mantle'

Depending on the mountains, there are often similar forms protruding downward into the mantle.  But I don't think these 'stabilize' the crust necessarily - they're always suceptible to the convection forces that exist there.  In fact it's concievable that they're more prone to the convection as they could provide a more efficient surface for the force to act on.

In any case, they don't stabilize anything.  Typically the areas around mountains are at the highest risk of earthquakes.  The same forces that cause mountains cause earthquakes, and the mountians do nothing to mitigate their effects.

• Re: mountains are pegs.
     Reply #2 - February 14, 2009, 10:06 PM

Yep. That's the short version. Plate boundaries are unstable. Mountains form on plate boundaries. Go figure.

Methinks Mohammed wasn't really up to speed on plate tectonics and mantle convection. Allah forgot to tell him those bits.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »