Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Aksel

(Read 7286 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Aksel
     OP - February 13, 2009, 06:59 AM

Hello everyone

I am Aksel, I joined a while ago to browse but refrained from posting, as I have never been a Muslim.

Anyway I saw Finally Free from the FFI forum here and figured it was a good time to pipe up.

I write on many forums, although I don't consider myself to be a netizen... Internet is for me just a convenient way of exchanging ideas across a very large world and indeed between very diverse and conflicting cultures.

I'm never very good at introductory threads, but if you have any questions about me... Please ask.

Regards

-Aksel

"It may happen that the enemies of Islam may consider it expedient not to take any action against Islam, if Islam leaves them alone in their geographical boundaries... But Islam cannot agree to this unless they submit to its authority by paying Jizyah"

-Sayyid Qutb, Milestones
  • Re: Aksel
     Reply #1 - February 13, 2009, 07:16 AM

Name, rank, and serial number? Cheesy

Hiya. Make yourself at home.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #2 - February 13, 2009, 11:28 AM

Hello Aksel welcome to the forum.   Smiley

Could you do me a favour?  Stop posting in blue text, please, because I have to highlight all your posts before I can read them.   parrot  Thanx in advance.   Afro

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #3 - February 13, 2009, 11:44 AM

signwelcome Aksel! My father's a Zoroastrian too. May I ask you whether you're from India, Iran or other? Were you born a Zoroastrian or did you convert? My dad says he's met an American convert, although I'd always thought one couldn't convert.

World renowned historian Will Durant"...the Islamic conquest of India is probably the bloodiest story in history. It is a discouraging tale, for its evident moral is that civilization is a precious good, whose delicate complex order and freedom can at any moment be overthrown..."
     Reply #4 - February 13, 2009, 12:15 PM

Hello and welcome Aksel, good to see you here too.

@Rashna, Aksel is from down under

I was not blessed with the ability to have blind faith. I cant beleive something just because someone says its true.
     Reply #5 - February 13, 2009, 01:00 PM

Hi Aksel and welcome!
     Reply #6 - February 13, 2009, 01:37 PM

Welcome!

Aksel and Rashna,
    Is any of you aware of Parsi dialect of Gujarati spoken by Zorastrians of India.
    It is so cute and humorous.
     Reply #7 - February 13, 2009, 04:37 PM

Welcome Aksel,

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
     Reply #8 - February 13, 2009, 04:50 PM

hey there aksel!

zoroastrianism's interesting! some allege islam picked up the concept of hell from it... i don't know how true that is...

TRASH - The Rationalist Apostate Society for Humanity!

Take a look for a few laughs and thoughtful discussions with a wide range of audience - fellow apostates, Muslims, sufis, non-Muslims, Christians, etc

http://thetrashbin.wordpress.com
     Reply #9 - February 13, 2009, 06:04 PM

Hi aksel... Welcome to the forum  Smiley

"I'm Agnostic about God."

Richard Dawkins
    ==
    "If there is a God, it has to be a man; no woman could or would ever fuck things up like this."
     George Carlin == "...The so-called moderates are actually the public relations arm of Al-Qaeda and the Islamic Republic of Iran."  Maryam Namazie
     Reply #10 - February 14, 2009, 12:21 AM

Hi Aksel - so let us know a bit more about yourself.  What do you mean you were never a Muslim, are your parents non-believers?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #11 - February 14, 2009, 03:22 AM

Welcome!

Aksel and Rashna,
    Is any of you aware of Parsi dialect of Gujarati spoken by Zorastrians of India.
    It is so cute and humorous.

Rashna raises hand.  Roll Eyes Actually, it sounds more humorous in Hindi movies than it actually is. The Bohras also have a somewhat distinct Gujarati dialect.

World renowned historian Will Durant"...the Islamic conquest of India is probably the bloodiest story in history. It is a discouraging tale, for its evident moral is that civilization is a precious good, whose delicate complex order and freedom can at any moment be overthrown..."
     Reply #12 - February 14, 2009, 05:58 AM

Hi again, thank you for your welcomes, Osmanthus, Cheetah, Rashna, anti-Jihad, Hassan, Calm, Baal, Salahudin, Emerald and Islame

In reply to Rashna - I am a convert, grew up mostly in Australia. I converted after hearing about Zoroastrianism through a friend.

My information is that the rule that Zoroastrian's wouldn't proselytize began in India, in return for the Gujaratis giving safe haven to the Iranian refugees. And in Iran apostasy is a capital crime, so conversion there also practically impossible.

I thought you might be from a Parsi family, Rashnu is an angel in Zend Avesta, right?

In reply to Calm, I'm afraid I only know English, and some Arabic and Japanese.

Quote from: IsLame
    Hi Aksel - so let us know a bit more about yourself.  What do you mean you were never a Muslim, are your parents non-believers?

Well, my parents are both atheists, as was I until age 19 or so. However, I truly believe in the religion I have found.

I have always had an interest in religions, hence my initial interest in Islam.

"It may happen that the enemies of Islam may consider it expedient not to take any action against Islam, if Islam leaves them alone in their geographical boundaries... But Islam cannot agree to this unless they submit to its authority by paying Jizyah"

-Sayyid Qutb, Milestones
     Reply #13 - February 14, 2009, 09:13 AM

So what turned you the opposite way to most of us i.e. atheist to theist?  How did your parents take it?   

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #14 - February 14, 2009, 11:45 AM

So what turned you the opposite way to most of us i.e. atheist to theist?  How did your parents take it?   

Well, my father wasn't very pleased. He's a sort of fundamentalist atheist.  Wink

I'm not quite sure how to answer your question... Most ex-Muslims I've met were atheists, but I never really considered why.

Perhaps it's because I was never hurt or let down by believing in God, as I suppose many apostates have been. Besides, God exists or doesn't exist independently of human beliefs about him or her.

My final answer would be that Zoroaster's vision of the world and of our place in it makes more sense than anything else I've heard.

-Sayyid Qutb, Milestones
     Reply #15 - February 14, 2009, 06:21 PM

I thought you might be from a Parsi family, Rashnu is an angel in Zend Avesta, right?

Rashnu is an angel in Zend Avesta, which is where my name came from.  Smiley
    I'm from a mixed faith family, mom's Muslim, dad's Zoroastrian.

My father will be glad to know about your conversion to Zoroastrianism, he's very concerned about Zoroastrianism's dwindling numbers.

Its great that you've found a religion which brings meaning to your life, everyone should be allowed to believe in ay faith or no faith, as long as they don't use their religion as a tool of oppression or terror.

Reply #16 - February 14, 2009, 07:34 PM

Hello Aksel,

I have great sympathy and interest for Zoroastrianism. Fire temples and the towers of silence are fascinating things, and the Avestan language is enchanting. The destruction of Zoroastrian civilisation in Persia was one of the greatest crimes of Islam, in my opinion. It is inspiring that Zoroastrians still persist despite all the persecutions. I may even convert to the Zoroastrian religion in the future, perhaps.

A few years ago I was writing a story about a fictional world where the brightest civilisation was a mixture of Greek and Zoroastrian elements. It's unfinished, and I'll return to it later in my life.

Regards,
    Zaephon

Islam: where idiots meet terrorists.
     Reply #17 - February 14, 2009, 07:41 PM

I may even convert to the Zoroastrian religion in the future, perhaps.

Zaephon, are you planning on becoming an atheistic Zorastrian?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #18 - February 14, 2009, 07:54 PM

I may even convert to the Zoroastrian religion in the future, perhaps.

Zaephon, are you planning on becoming an atheistic Zorastrian?

I am not exactly an atheist. I have a weak spot for minority religions, especially if they have survived great persecutions.

Reply #19 - February 14, 2009, 08:37 PM

I don't get it. I am not having a go, but perhaps you can explain it as you suggest something here that is similar that has always confused me with religious folk. 

How do people pick & chose a belief system - isn't it a matter of what is true, rather than a question of preferred choice?

e.g. I like the idea of there being a God, does that mean I should become a theist? 
    Or does having a weak spot for minority religions that have survived great persecutions make it true?

Or is it more like a fashion or a cultural statement?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #20 - February 16, 2009, 10:01 PM

How do people pick & chose a belief system - isn't it a matter of what is true, rather than a question of preferred choice?

For me at least, it would be a preferred choice. Not all religions have the same philosophy and the same cultural/historical package.

Reply #21 - February 17, 2009, 12:18 AM

For me at least, it would be a preferred choice. Not all religions have the same philosophy and the same cultural/historical package.

Hmmm - thanks for being honest, but there's the answer and it confuses me more - i just dont get

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #22 - February 17, 2009, 01:15 AM

Hi again, I've been away a couple of days.

Quote from: Rashna
    My father will be glad to know about your conversion to Zoroastrianism, he's very concerned about Zoroastrianism's dwindling numbers.

Its great that you've found a religion which brings meaning to your life, everyone should be allowed to believe in ay faith or no faith, as long as they don't use their religion as a tool of oppression or terror.

Thank you for the nice message, it is very true.

I don't get it. I am not having a go, but perhaps you can explain it as you suggest something here that is similar that has always confused me with religious folk. 

e.g. I like the idea of there being a God, does that mean I should become a theist? 
    Or does having a weak spot for minority religions that have survived great persecutions make it true?

In my mind, God is a transcendent being. Transcendence cannot be approached with an empirical, scientific mindset - because when something is reduced to empirical knowledge it ceases to be transcendent. Therefore there is a basic barrier between faith and knowledge which cannot be resolved for a beliver (PS. I'm paraphrasing from Stanislaw Lem's book Microworlds).

However, the cosmological argument is a very strong case for the existence of some kind God... While the problem of evil posed by Epicurus etc. is a good argument that God isn't responsible for everything happening around us. I believe Charles Darwin (like David Attenborough ) held an agnostic view of the world because of his study of parasites that seemed too vicious to be the work of a benificient creator.

Zoroaster's religion makes the most sense to me, as it explains the universe as a place of conflict between good and evil spirit, a dualistic worldview.

Quote from: Zaephon
    The destruction of Zoroastrian civilisation in Persia was one of the greatest crimes of Islam, in my opinion. It is inspiring that Zoroastrians still persist despite all the persecutions. I may even convert to the Zoroastrian religion in the future, perhaps.

A few years ago I was writing a story about a fictional world where the brightest civilisation was a mixture of Greek and Zoroastrian elements. It's unfinished, and I'll return to it later in my life.

Persian civilization was very impressive though fell into a decline even before the Arab conquest, bleeding themselves dry with border conflicts and opressing their subjects.

Anyway, it sounds like a good story, I'd like to see it someday.

-Sayyid Qutb, Milestones
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »