Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 06:41 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 27, 2024, 01:26 PM

New Britain
April 27, 2024, 08:42 AM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 02:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 12:17 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 05:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 08:53 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: My family

(Read 12764 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • My family
     OP - February 12, 2009, 02:24 AM

I was raised a Sunni Muslim, although looking at my life thus far, my family led a secular life. They still cling to the comfort blanket of Islam, but doesn't really practice it to the core. They didn't eat pork, drink wine or anything of the sort, but I hardly ever saw them pray five times a day. From the looks of it, I'd say my family is semi-religious.

Even though my family seems laid back, my father was the one that was most devout in my family. He was the one who actually made some effort to teach me Islam. He took me to the Jummah prayers, and would always play Quran recitation from a CD on the way to school. He also told me stories of the prophet. Due to his devotion to the religion, I believe, is what kept my family partially religious.

I always feared telling my parents about my Apostasy. I became a Murtad when I was 17. It wasn't until I was 19 is when I came open with it. I'm now 20.

When my parents first heard about my apostasy, it wasn't directly from me. There are only two kids in the family-my sister Samiah, who is seven years older than me, and then of course myself.

I told Samiah about it first. She was astonished, but all she said was "okay." Nothing else. I told her to keep it from my parents, as I wanted to be the one who would break it to them. It didn't workout as planned however.

The word of my apostasy quickly reached my dad, and I avoided talking to him over the phone about it. I live across the country from him. I figured, once I visit home, I'll talk to him face to face.

In December of 2008, is when I got the chance to speak with him about it. I went home for winter break.

I was extremely surprised about my dad's reaction. He wasn't upset, and he understood. He told me everyone have doubts about religion, and it's up to us to find our own way of life. He told me all he cares for is that I live a good and just life. He continuously told me he does not want to push Islam on me.

I was very glad to hear this coming from my father. Needless to say, I feel a lot more closer to him than I have before. My mother on the other hand, has a hard time accepting it. She's somewhat more superstitious than my dad when it comes to viewing life. My sister, just doesn't want to admit that I'm an Atheist. She keeps calling it a "phase." Whatever helps her sleep at night I guess.

All in all, I feel I had a clean break from Islam. I always figured Muslims would be hard headed when it comes to the issue of Apostasy. Although, that's mostly true, I know there are some out there who are open minded enough to listen. Then again, it turns out, that very bunch is usually not the most religious of folks. I personally prefer them over the hardcore religious types any day to mingle with.

Call me TAP TAP! for I am THE ASS PATTER!
  • Re: My family
     Reply #1 - February 12, 2009, 04:58 AM

I like your dad - which country are you from?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #2 - February 12, 2009, 05:23 AM

That's great Tommy Smiley My dad had a similar reaction to me though I think he's hoping I'll come back to it.
     Reply #3 - February 12, 2009, 09:39 AM

I like your dad - which country are you from?

Bangladesh Smiley

That's great Tommy Smiley My dad had a similar reaction to me though I think he's hoping I'll come back to it.

I think deep inside my dad wants the same from me as well.

Reply #4 - February 12, 2009, 09:58 AM

Wow - you are rare given that you are from the most religious country on the planet!  According to the statistics, you are 0.1% of the Bangladesh population.  You dont know any others like you in Bangladesh do you, or do you think the stats are wrong?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #5 - February 12, 2009, 12:51 PM

Yeah I'm pretty lucky to have a dad who's understanding.

Wow - you are rare given that you are from the most religious country on the planet!

Well I'm not sure about the "most religious" country on the planet  Cheesy

According to the statistics, you are 0.1% of the Bangladesh population.  You dont know any others like you in Bangladesh do you, or do you think the stats are wrong?

I didn't grow up with many Bengali people since I moved to the States at a very young age. So I can't really give you a concrete answer for that. But, the one's I've met and hanged with in my life, have been much much more religious than I. The thought of Apostasy, is very far from their minds. The thought of Atheism is like murder in their eyes.

Reply #6 - February 12, 2009, 01:27 PM

good for you tommy!  Afro

TRASH - The Rationalist Apostate Society for Humanity!

Take a look for a few laughs and thoughtful discussions with a wide range of audience - fellow apostates, Muslims, sufis, non-Muslims, Christians, etc

http://thetrashbin.wordpress.com
     Reply #7 - February 12, 2009, 02:31 PM

I personally prefer them over the hardcore religious types any day

You and me both, Tommy!

Great post  Afro

Should this be moved to Blogs and Bios?
     Reply #8 - February 12, 2009, 03:50 PM

I personally prefer them over the hardcore religious types any day

You and me both, Tommy!

Great post  Afro

Should this be moved to Blogs and Bios?

Oh yeah, my mistake.

If a mod would move it to blogs and bios, that'd be great.

Thanks!

Reply #9 - February 12, 2009, 04:14 PM

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #10 - February 12, 2009, 04:46 PM

Nice smiley, where did you pick that up?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #11 - February 12, 2009, 04:53 PM

I have a Smiley Xtra thing on my tool bar.   dance

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #12 - February 12, 2009, 07:39 PM

You're the best

Reply #13 - February 12, 2009, 07:43 PM

I have a Smiley Xtra thing on my tool bar.   dance

Is that a priviledge of the chosen people, or for us plebiscites too?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #14 - February 13, 2009, 02:30 AM

It must be something Cheetah found on the net. It's nothing to do with me.

Anyway Tommy, your dad sounds like a cool sort of dude. Good for him.

*waits for certain people to start insisting that Tommy's dad should be deported if he doesn't prove to be susceptible to re-education*

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #15 - February 13, 2009, 06:47 AM

I'm so glad people like Tommy, Peruvian and I are posting about our families. At any time on this forum, there are more guests than members, and many people unfortunately hold a belief that any Muslim family will promptly kill a child who apostates, or disown or kill a daughter who marries a Non Muslim man, who doesn't convert to Islam.

Maybe posting about our families will challenge those beliefs.  Smiley

World renowned historian Will Durant"...the Islamic conquest of India is probably the bloodiest story in history. It is a discouraging tale, for its evident moral is that civilization is a precious good, whose delicate complex order and freedom can at any moment be overthrown..."
     Reply #16 - February 13, 2009, 07:55 AM

I'm so glad people like Tommy, Peruvian and I are posting about our families. At any time on this forum, there are more guests than members, and many people unfortunately hold a belief that any Muslim family will promptly kill a child who apostates, or disown or kill a daughter who marries a Non Muslim man, who doesn't convert to Islam.

Maybe posting about our families will challenge those beliefs.  Smiley

Well said Rashna  Afro

Like my own family (who have all seen my videos), many Muslim families will certainly not disown or do anything to members who leave Islam. I've always disliked the way some people love to portray all Muslims as raving fanatics ready to kill anyone who leaves Islam.

Most Muslims reaction will be perhaps disappointment and many will simply try and 'clear-up' the 'doubts' and "misconceptions" lol

As it happens my ex-wife has asked a Sheikh to come and speak to me this Sunday to try and 'answer' the reasons I have given her that I no-longer believe in Islam. I am quite looking forward to it hehe... grin12
     Reply #17 - February 13, 2009, 07:59 AM

As it happens my ex-wife has asked a Sheikh to come and speak to me this Sunday to try and 'answer' the reasons I have given her that I no-longer believe in Islam. I am quite looking forward to it hehe.

You Tube it.   dance

Reply #18 - February 13, 2009, 08:17 AM

As it happens my ex-wife has asked a Sheikh to come and speak to me this Sunday to try and 'answer' the reasons I have given her that I no-longer believe in Islam. I am quite looking forward to it hehe.

You Tube it.   dance

lol... it crossed my mind  Cheesy  but seriously I wouldn't do that to the poor chap. He is a Sufi Sheikh, and a nice guy - very open-minded and not one of these mad mullah types. I really couldn't do that to him.
     Reply #19 - February 13, 2009, 08:24 AM

tee hee....  you could if you had a hidden camera   parrot

Being serious though, I'd be interested to hear an account of how he tries to deal with your arguments. 

Reply #20 - February 13, 2009, 08:28 AM

lol... it crossed my mind  Cheesy  but seriously I wouldn't do that to the poor chap. He is a Sufi Sheikh, and a nice guy - very open-minded and not one of these mad mullah types. I really couldn't do that to him.

You really could. yes  Really. yes  grin12

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #21 - February 13, 2009, 08:39 AM

Hassan is too nice to do such mischeifs...
    Come on Hassan, let Satan do his work  grin12
     Reply #22 - February 13, 2009, 09:02 AM

You could ask him if he minds video'ing/taping it as there is this forum of heathen who were interested in your discussion?  He might not mind it, as his words would reach more than one poisoned set of ears, and may save them from getting pissed in?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #23 - February 13, 2009, 09:05 AM

You could ask him if he minds video'ing/taping it as there is this forum of heathen who were interested in your discussion?

LOL I think I know what his answer would be.
     Reply #24 - February 13, 2009, 09:57 AM

i think you should at least record it, because these guys may surprise you.

i once talked to an imaam that runs one of those 1800 "ask islam" numbers. coincidentally i bumped in to him one day and he seemed like a terrific guy. he was polite, seemed intelligent enough and was tolerant of my apostasy. it seemed.

so i got his number and called him one day out of the blue, just to talk about apostasy because it had been bothering me. i thought he'd give a sufistic reply or something... but to my surprise he just said i should have been killed if i was living in an islamic state!

i was like... "should i be scared of you?"

he said no.. because - and this is the best part - because THERE IS NO TRUE islamic govt in the world, even if saudi arabia comes close.

i was like.. holy shit... the principle isn't my right to life or common decency even... lol...

so i suggest you don't take any chances and record this guy, hassan.

TRASH - The Rationalist Apostate Society for Humanity!

Take a look for a few laughs and thoughtful discussions with a wide range of audience - fellow apostates, Muslims, sufis, non-Muslims, Christians, etc

http://thetrashbin.wordpress.com
     Reply #25 - February 13, 2009, 10:01 AM

so i got his number and called him one day out of the blue, just to talk about apostasy because it had been bothering me. i thought he'd give a sufistic reply or something... but to my surprise he just said i should have been killed if i was living in an islamic state!

i was like... "should i be scared of you?"

he said no.. because - and this is the best part - because THERE IS NO TRUE islamic govt in the world, even if saudi arabia comes close.

i was like.. holy shit... the principle isn't my right to life or common decency even... lol...

Cheesy

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #26 - February 13, 2009, 10:16 AM

Quote Hassan
    Like my own family (who have all seen my videos), many Muslim families will certainly not disown or do anything to members who leave Islam.

Erm, didn?t the husband of one of your ex-wives throw out your son and one of your sisters throw out a daughter for leaving Islam ?

Like a compass needle that points north, a man?s accusing finger always finds a woman. Always.

Khaled Hosseini - A thousand splendid suns.
     Reply #27 - February 13, 2009, 01:01 PM

Quote Hassan
    Like my own family (who have all seen my videos), many Muslim families will certainly not disown or do anything to members who leave Islam.

Erm, didn?t the husband of one of your ex-wives throw out your son and one of your sisters throw out a daughter for leaving Islam ?

Well he is not really my family Wink

He has also seen the error of his ways and now allows my son back into his house.

But that is the worst that has happened. Hardly as bad as some people make out. Especially as I have had my face pasted all over the internet for a year now and I am known by many people and it would not be hard to find my house.
     Reply #28 - February 13, 2009, 01:19 PM

would not be hard to find my house.

Hassan, I suggest you take up martial arts A.S.A.P.

Or at least, get a gun  parrot

Reply #29 - February 13, 2009, 01:41 PM

Somebody compose the lyrics for "Hassan's gotta gun " Cheesy Cheesy

I was not blessed with the ability to have blind faith. I cant beleive something just because someone says its true.
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »