Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Lights on the way
by akay
Today at 04:40 PM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 02:45 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: New leaps in the search for the origin of life...

(Read 3037 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • New leaps in the search for the origin of life...
     OP - January 19, 2009, 11:48 AM

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20126911.400-did-life-begin-in-a-pool-of-acidic-gloop.html?page=1

A part of the article -

A few weeks after the field trip, Deamer's preliminary findings are already challenging lab-based results. He now thinks the first chains of RNA may have grown wrapped in blankets of concentrated sulphuric acid. "You remember me kneeling in the clay? The acid was so strong it ate out the knees of my jeans. On the way home both knees fell out." And yet it seems that, despite the acid and the heat, the nucleotides and RNA Deamer was experimenting with have survived. What's more, in the lumps of clay to which he added single nucleotides, he now sees what look like chains of RNA. Other clay samples to which he added nothing show no RNA - suggesting the new RNA strands are not the result of contamination.

That's a tremendous leap from the Miller-Urey experiment! dance It'll be very interesting if his findings become confirmed.
  • Re: The continued search for the origin of life...
     Reply #1 - January 19, 2009, 12:08 PM

That's fascinating. Thanks for posting that one. I haven't checked New Scientist for a while. Abiogenesis has always been the big one. Once you have replicators evolution itself is trivial.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
  • Re: New leaps in the search for the origin of life...
     Reply #2 - January 22, 2009, 10:43 AM

Thanks PS. Looks like a promising line of enquiry. I've always, without being a chemist, imagined it like this. I'll give it a butcher's.

Religion is ignorance giftwrapped in lyricism.
     Reply #3 - January 22, 2009, 02:30 PM

That's fascinating. Thanks for posting that one. I haven't checked New Scientist for a while. Abiogenesis has always been the big one. Once you have replicators evolution itself is trivial.

It is. To intelligent, rational and honest people.

Of course to true believers no evidence will ever be good enough - to them even the 'gap' from us to more primitive apelike ancestors is a gaping chasm. 

Everytime "science" (which is falsely called so), "discovers" something new, evolutionists have to go back and change some parts of one of their theories. Amazingly enough, no scientific discovery has ever caused Biblical creationists to have to change their stand.
     Reply #4 - January 22, 2009, 08:37 PM

Well, as I have said to creationists on more than one occasion, their reasoning abilities are conclusive evidence that they are a form of ape.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »