Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Today at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Today at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: 75% of muslim converts leave Islam

(Read 51924 times)
  • Previous page 1 2 3« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • 75% of muslim converts leave Islam
     Reply #60 - April 16, 2015, 11:28 AM

People who leave religion because they thoroughly researched it's claims rarely return to religion. However, in my experience with Christianity, most highly educated Christians always have some "doubt" story where they were in college or something and they "struggled with faith." Basically, this means their education caught up with them and they were experiencing some cognitive dissonance and starting to realize their beliefs were based on unsubstantiated bullshit. Then they turn to apologetics and those who have a strong will to believe will swallow some of the pseudo intellectual lines and think their beliefs have a basis in logic and reason. Some will go so far as to claim they were "atheists" or "agnostics" in this weak doubting period, but that's bullshit. They wanted to believe all along and found a way around their minds natural growing skepticism. These are the vast majority of those who "return" to their religion.

The rest are usually people who seem to have an inclination towards absolute morality. For converts and reconverts later in life they seem to be people who think there must be some sort of higher power keeping us accountable. They may be right, but I think they are people who fail to see how much their own morality has been shaped by their parents and society and it was instilled in them at such a young age that they see their values as reflective of some unmovable, objective source.

"I moreover believe that any religion that has anything in it that shocks the mind of a child, cannot be a true system."
    -Thomas Paine
     Reply #61 - April 16, 2015, 05:41 PM

"They wanted to believe all along and found a way around their minds natural growing skepticism. These are the vast majority of those who "return" to their religion."

Very well put. But this 'vast majority', what kind of percentage do you imagine it to be? Surely quite small? I don't mean those that always had some doubts, but have never really grappled with it, but those that leave because they have grappled wholeheartedly with it, but then returned anyway.

Ha Ha.
     Reply #62 - April 16, 2015, 09:24 PM

I think the people that actually did real grappling with their beliefs and return are a rare breed. But there are some out there. I think of people like maybe C.S. Lewis for Christianity who pushed the moral argument hard as he seemed disenfranchised by the moral relativism that caused so much destruction in the 20th century and found Christianity's moral standard appealing. All this was after he lived a good part of his life as estranged from his faith and as an academic I'm sure he gave it some thought. Maybe someone like Francis Collins too. For Islam, I have less experience with prominent converts and reconverts so I can't name any off the top of my head.

But the more serious and credible reconverts are not those who are pulled in by bs like scientific miracles and the like. They will not claim that their faith is "proved" by evidence and instead will talk about how their faith gives them a moral framework in the world of moral confusion we live in. If someone reconverts due to the dawahgandist crap out there or one of those flimsy "we can prove the resurrection historically!" arguments that shows they probably were not very far in their disbelief if they're willing to fall for such obvious bs.

"I moreover believe that any religion that has anything in it that shocks the mind of a child, cannot be a true system."
    -Thomas Paine
     Reply #63 - April 17, 2015, 06:01 AM

what do u guys think the number of people that leave Islam in what is said to many majority muslim I think it;s around 50
     Reply #64 - April 17, 2015, 12:48 PM

But the more serious and credible reconverts are not those who are pulled in by bs like scientific miracles and the like. They will not claim that their faith is "proved" by evidence and instead will talk about how their faith gives them a moral framework in the world of moral confusion we live in. If someone reconverts due to the dawahgandist crap out there or one of those flimsy "we can prove the resurrection historically!" arguments that shows they probably were not very far in their disbelief if they're willing to fall for such obvious bs.

yes
     Reply #65 - April 25, 2015, 02:25 AM

I question something Pew released tends of the religious demographics for this to 2050 and Muslims will be close to Christianity pop if continued and than outnumber them. I question that seeing how most are leaving

http://www.pewforum.org/2015/04/02/religious-projections-2010-2050/

http://www.pewforum.org/2015/04/02/religious-projections-2010-2050/#beyond-the-year-2050
     Reply #66 - April 25, 2015, 01:05 PM

I question something Pew released tends of the religious demographics for this to 2050 and Muslims will be close to Christianity pop if continued and than outnumber them. I question that seeing how most are leaving

http://www.pewforum.org/2015/04/02/religious-projections-2010-2050/

http://www.pewforum.org/2015/04/02/religious-projections-2010-2050/#beyond-the-year-2050

I think islam is decreasing...its not true the so called fastest growing religion...even saudi arabia, there is a panic from people who left islam...and as years go, the number is increasing..saudi arabia has create site to contact with muslims who left islam secretly
     Reply #67 - April 25, 2015, 11:51 PM

SO we might never have a good idea of the number because I would love an actually population of religion.
  • Previous page 1 2 3« Previous thread | Next thread »