Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: BBC today - 'No God' campaign draws complaint

(Read 15356 times)
  • Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: BBC today - 'No God' campaign draws complaint
     Reply #30 - February 05, 2009, 01:52 PM

How do you file for complaints anyway?

Advertising Standards Authority
    http://www.asa.org.uk/asa/

oh Muslim, oh servant of Allah, this is a Jew behind me, come and kill him!"
     Reply #31 - February 05, 2009, 02:00 PM

A Christian group is launching a retaliation ad stating - 'There definitely is a God. So join the Christian Party and enjoy your life' Roll Eyes

Agreed - let us know how to do it once you have done it. 

While you're at it, might as well throw in a complaint about the first one as well.  How can they make a claim like "there is definitely is a God"?

Here are the ASA rules ""before distributing or submitting a marketing communication for publication, marketers must hold documentary evidence to prove all claims, whether direct or implied, that are capable of objective substantiation" and that "no marketing communication should mislead, or be likely to mislead, by inaccuracy, ambiguity, exaggeration, omission or otherwise"

It definitely falls foul of meeting these rules too..

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #32 - February 05, 2009, 02:06 PM

Sweet, thanks you two. I'll see what I can do, I'm not very good at writing a formal complaint though. I'll try my best though.
     Reply #33 - February 05, 2009, 02:07 PM

I honestly don't feel the need to complain, I would simply suggest that they have to change the word definately to probably, just like the atheist campaign.  Smiley

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #34 - February 05, 2009, 02:15 PM

I honestly don't feel the need to complain, I would simply suggest that they have to change the word definately to probably, just like the atheist campaign.  Smiley

That's a good idea. I'll do that.
     Reply #35 - February 05, 2009, 02:22 PM

This is what I've written, is it ok?

I would like to make a complaint about the bus advert that the Christian group wish to advertise stating - 'There definitely is a God. So join the Christian Party and enjoy your life.'

This ad goes against the ASA rules - ""before distributing or submitting a marketing communication for publication, marketers must hold documentary evidence to prove all claims, whether direct or implied, that are capable of objective substantiation" and that "no marketing communication should mislead, or be likely to mislead, by inaccuracy, ambiguity, exaggeration, omission or otherwise"

The Christian Party have not provided any realistic evidence for the existence of God. I would recommend that the advert be changed to 'There is a possibility that God exists,...' or something of a similar nature.

I'll complain about the other one after submitting this one.
     Reply #36 - February 05, 2009, 02:39 PM

Sounds good.  You could also state that if this is not possible, you would like to be pointed to the objective susbstantiation for this claim..

Once you have dont this, let me know the link so I can also stick the boot in..   Monty python

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #37 - February 05, 2009, 02:44 PM

I've complained to the ASA, you could go and give the same complaint.

I was wondering if there is a chance of producing a complaint on behalf of CEMB?
     Reply #38 - February 05, 2009, 02:52 PM

i've done it too.. here is the link if anyone else is interested

http://www.asa.org.uk/asa/how_to_complain/complaints_form/

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #39 - February 05, 2009, 02:55 PM

Here's the complaint for the other one-

I would like to make a complaint about a specific slogan that is very insulting to people with a different belief - 'The fool hath said in his heart, there is no God.'
    This statement implies those who lack a belief in God are fools. They have provided no evidence to support such a claim and are therefore breaking the ASA guidelines-
    "Before distributing or submitting a marketing communication for publication, marketers must hold documentary evidence to prove all claims, whether direct or implied, that are capable of objective substantiation"

These offensive slogans are being advertised in various places and will soon be advertised on buses too, I would like to see them removed and in the future I would recommend only neutral ads be allowed on display so as not to cause offence.
     Reply #40 - February 05, 2009, 03:02 PM

I would like to make a complaint about a specific slogan that is very insulting to people with a different belief - 'The fool hath said in his heart, there is no God.'

I would swap "people with a different belief" with "atheists"

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #41 - February 05, 2009, 03:05 PM

I thought mine was more effective considering all the PC crap these days about offending different beliefs. Also mine refers to polytheists and deists as well as atheists.
     Reply #42 - February 05, 2009, 03:21 PM

I thought mine was more effective considering all the PC crap these days about offending different beliefs. Also mine refers to polytheists and deists as well as atheists.

Deists & polytheists believe God exists, so they are not being slandered by the advert?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #43 - February 05, 2009, 03:27 PM

Deists & polytheists believe God exists, so they are not being slandered by the advert?

They advert is referring the Christian God. Also it is referring to one God and a particular God. At least that's the way I see it. Feel free to change that bit if you want though.
     Reply #44 - February 06, 2009, 12:30 AM

The first complaint is sound.  The second one is a waste of time, because the ASA's rules contain an exemption for quotes from scripture, and that comment about the fool in his heart is from the Old Testament.

No harm in registering your protest, but it won't get anywhere.

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #45 - February 06, 2009, 10:33 AM

The first complaint is sound.  The second one is a waste of time, because the ASA's rules contain an exemption for quotes from scripture, and that comment about the fool in his heart is from the Old Testament.

No harm in registering your protest, but it won't get anywhere.

I didn't think it would. No harm in trying though, I'm sick of double standards.
     Reply #46 - February 06, 2009, 02:32 PM

How did you know that?  Which scriptures bear exemptions? If it has been fairly applied across all religious scriptures, does that mean we can go parading Mormons anti-black or Quran's anti-semitic, or even Bible's homophobic quotes on buses?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #47 - February 06, 2009, 02:53 PM

How did you know that?  Which scriptures bear exemptions? If it has been fairly applied across all religious scriptures, does that mean we can go parading Mormons anti-black or Quran's anti-semitic, or even Bible's homophobic quotes on buses?

That's a great point. I wonder if we tried to start a campaign to post some of the horrible Quranic verses, would they let us? Or we could post the racist phrases from the Book of Mormon. I wonder where they draw the line?
     Reply #48 - February 06, 2009, 02:57 PM

There was a discussion about it on the Richard Dawkins forum. 

I don't know if the Book of Mormon qualifies, but you can certainly put quotes from the Qur'an and the Old Testament on buses without falling foul of the ASA's regulations on proving your claims.

That might be a better wheeze for us atheist/non-religious types than statements like "There is probably no God" incidentally.  Show them up using their own scriptures - and see which set of God Botherers is the first to use the excuse "quoted out of context".

And btw, that first advert you're complaining about - there's another complaint you can validly make.  It follows the statement "God definitely exists" with an exhortation to join the Christian society.  That doesn't follow at all, they need proof that not only God exists, but that the Christian God exists.

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #49 - February 06, 2009, 03:16 PM

That might be a better wheeze for us atheist/non-religious types than statements like "There is probably no God" incidentally.  Show them up using their own scriptures - and see which set of God Botherers is the first to use the excuse "quoted out of context".

I would be happy to run these adverts, and use this ASA law to make a mockery of it.  If anything, the ASA would then look more closely at their own clauses which allow religious groups to get away with blue murder.  However I would not wish to cause offence to these minorities in doing so. 

I bet they would not allow it anyway - some bigwig further down the line would pull such adverts before they ran, saying they would cause unnecesssary offence. 

These quasi-governmental institutions will hypocritically stand by such rules as far as they suit, and simply find a caveat when they dont.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #50 - February 06, 2009, 03:37 PM

And btw, that first advert you're complaining about - there's another complaint you can validly make.  It follows the statement "God definitely exists" with an exhortation to join the Christian society.  That doesn't follow at all, they need proof that not only God exists, but that the Christian God exists.

I am really surprised they allowed that advert in the first place. It's blatantly breaking ASA guidelines. If the adverts go ahead then I will probably launch better action.
     Reply #51 - February 24, 2009, 01:12 PM

I received a reply from ASA. They told me that the Christian Party is a political party so they are unable to deal with complaints relating to advertisements aiming to influencing voters. That's fair enough I guess.
     Reply #52 - February 24, 2009, 01:56 PM

I got the same reply, it was well put together I must admit. 

I was planning to scan their reply and paste it here, but I dont think its technically possible to do that, and in any case I think you have summarised their 1 page reply quite neatly into that one sentence!

However if that is the reason they are entitled to imply we are fools, then could we start The Secular Party, and imply Christians are fools? 

Secondly if we wanted to play dirty we could always quote anti-gay phrases from the bible, and stick them on buses?  That would certainly set cat amongst the pidgeons given todays day & age.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #53 - February 24, 2009, 02:08 PM

I got the same reply, it was well put together I must admit. 

I was planning to scan their reply and paste it here, but I dont think its technically possible to do that, and in any case I think you have summarised their 1 page reply quite neatly into that one sentence!

However if that is the reason they are entitled to imply we are fools, then could we start The Secular Party, and imply Christians are fools? 

Secondly if we wanted to play dirty we could always quote anti-gay phrases from the bible, and stick them on buses?  That would certainly set cat amongst the pidgeons given todays day & age.

This thought had occurred to me though I was thinking more along the lines of starting an FSM campaign and stating he definitely exists Tongue
     Reply #54 - February 24, 2009, 02:11 PM

FSM?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #55 - February 24, 2009, 02:15 PM

The Flying Spaghetti Monster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Reply #56 - February 24, 2009, 02:55 PM

Aaah, thanks for the link cheetah...

According to wiki..

The central belief is that there is an invisible and undetectable Flying Spaghetti Monster, who created the entire universe "after drinking heavily."[14] The Monster's intoxication was supposedly the cause for a flawed Earth. All "evidence" for evolution was planted by the Flying Spaghetti Monster, in an effort to test Pastafarians' faith ? a form of the Omphalos hypothesis. When scientific measurements, such as radiocarbon dating, are made, the Flying Spaghetti Monster "is there changing the results with His Noodly Appendage."[4]

In an open letter sent to the education board, Henderson parodies the concept of intelligent design by professing belief in a supernatural creator, which closely resembles spaghetti and meatballs.[4] He furthermore calls for the "Pastafarian" theory of creation to be taught in science classrooms.[5]

Cheesy

OK, I did say earlier I was for now an agnostic.. this has since changed to spagnostic.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #57 - February 24, 2009, 03:03 PM

Aaah, thanks for the link cheetah...

According to wiki..

The central belief is that there is an invisible and undetectable Flying Spaghetti Monster, who created the entire universe "after drinking heavily."[14] The Monster's intoxication was supposedly the cause for a flawed Earth. All "evidence" for evolution was planted by the Flying Spaghetti Monster, in an effort to test Pastafarians' faith ? a form of the Omphalos hypothesis. When scientific measurements, such as radiocarbon dating, are made, the Flying Spaghetti Monster "is there changing the results with His Noodly Appendage."[4]

In an open letter sent to the education board, Henderson parodies the concept of intelligent design by professing belief in a supernatural creator, which closely resembles spaghetti and meatballs.[4] He furthermore calls for the "Pastafarian" theory of creation to be taught in science classrooms.[5]

Cheesy

OK, I did say earlier I was for now an agnostic.. this has since changed to spagnostic.

It's pastafarian, and you have to start dressing like a pirate if you wish to join Tongue

Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster- http://www.venganza.org/
     Reply #58 - February 24, 2009, 03:28 PM

I believe, I believe.   parrot

The cactus on that http://www.venganza.org/  link proves it.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #59 - February 24, 2009, 04:20 PM

I was not blessed with the ability to have blind faith. I cant beleive something just because someone says its true.
  • Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »