Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: BBC today - 'No God' campaign draws complaint

(Read 15357 times)
  • 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • BBC today - 'No God' campaign draws complaint
     OP - January 09, 2009, 12:21 AM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7818980.stm

This really had me in stitches - the advertising watchdog may have to rule on the probability of God's existence, to see whether "there is probably no God, so enjoy your life"  beaches the laws on substantation & truthfulness.

I wonder what they will come up with, given it is on 800 buses in England, Scotland & Wales!

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
  • Re: BBC today - 'No God' campaign draws complaint
     Reply #1 - January 09, 2009, 12:56 AM

I wanted to complain to the Advertising Standards Authority as well. I object to the word ?probably?. It implies that there might be a god. I feel this is extremely misleading and may lead vulnerable people raising their hopes in vain. 

oh Muslim, oh servant of Allah, this is a Jew behind me, come and kill him!"
     Reply #2 - January 09, 2009, 08:49 PM

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bSrSwRpBdHk&feature=related

oh Muslim, oh servant of Allah, this is a Jew behind me, come and kill him!"
     Reply #3 - January 10, 2009, 01:04 PM

I wanted to complain to the Advertising Standards Authority as well. I object to the word ?probably?. It implies that there might be a god. I feel this is extremely misleading and may lead vulnerable people raising their hopes in vain. 

They used the word 'probably' so as not to force their views on people. I can't believe the hypocrisy of some people though, I have seen so many poster and people telling me I'm going to hell, yet this is offensive? It's ridiculous!
     Reply #4 - January 16, 2009, 01:24 PM

A Christian bus driver refused to drive the atheist buses Cheesy

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/7832647.stm

Man refuses to drive 'No God' bus

Buses carrying the slogans are operating around the UK
    A Christian bus driver has refused to drive a bus with an atheist slogan proclaiming "There's probably no God".
    Ron Heather, from Southampton, Hampshire, responded with "shock" and "horror" at the message and walked out of his shift on Saturday in protest.
    First Bus said it would do everything in its power to ensure Mr Heather does not have to drive the buses.
    Buses across Britain started displaying atheist messages in an advertising campaign launched earlier this month.
    Mr Heather told BBC Radio Solent: "I was just about to board and there it was staring me in the face, my first reaction was shock horror.
    "I felt that I could not drive that bus, I told my managers and they said they haven't got another one and I thought I better go home, so I did.

Mr Heather said he was shocked at the "starkness" of the advert
    "I think it was the starkness of this advert which implied there was no God."
    When he returned to work on Monday he was called into a meeting with managers and agreed to go back to work with the promise he would only have to drive the buses if there were no others available.
    First Bus said in a statement: "As a company we understand Mr Heather's views regarding the atheist bus advert and we are doing what we can to accommodate his request not to drive the buses concerned."
    It added: "As an organisation we don't endorse any of the products or sentiments advertised on our buses.
    "The content of this advert has been approved by the Advertising Standards Agency and therefore it is capable of being posted on static sites or anywhere else."
    The advertising campaign is backed by the British Humanist Association and prominent atheist, Professor Richard Dawkins.
    Hanne Stinson, chief executive of the British Humanist Association, said: "I have difficulty understanding why people with particular religious beliefs find the expression of a different sort of beliefs to be offensive.
    "I can't understand why some people seem to have a different attitude when it comes to atheists."
    Pressure group Christian Voice has questioned the campaign's effectiveness but the Methodist Church said it would be a "good thing if it gets people to engage with the deepest questions of life" and suggested it showed there was a "continued interest in God".
    The advertisements run on 200 bendy buses in London and 600 vehicles in England, Scotland and Wales.
     Reply #5 - January 16, 2009, 01:30 PM

Cheesy

Oh deary me, the bus to hell.  Cheesy

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #6 - January 16, 2009, 02:15 PM

I can't believe the hypocrisy of some people though, I have seen so many poster and people telling me I'm going to hell, yet this is offensive? It's ridiculous!

Aint that the truth Peruvian! Religious people have no problem making all sorts of claims and saying things that are offensive to many, yet if atheists say a thing they start crying foul.

Bloody hypocrites.

I used to think Dawkins was an arrogant chap, but I have grown to like him more and more and feel his approach is badly needed to confront the renaissance of religion these days.
     Reply #7 - January 16, 2009, 02:27 PM

First Bus said in a statement: "As a company we understand Mr Heather's views regarding the atheist bus advert and we are doing what we can to accommodate his request not to drive the buses concerned."

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #8 - January 16, 2009, 02:35 PM

I used to think Dawkins was an arrogant chap, but I have grown to like him more and more and feel his approach is badly needed to confront the renaissance of religion these days.

Disagree with you here. Most religious people see him as a twat and for this reason will ignore his ideas and will probably be put off atheism.

However I do like that fact that he is making atheism more mainstream.
     Reply #9 - January 16, 2009, 03:19 PM

Without that approach, he would not have become mainstream.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #10 - January 16, 2009, 04:08 PM

I, like Hassan, believed Dawkins was arrogant, mainly because I read his book, the God Delusion...

But after much of my reading and research, I've started to like his approach Cheesy

And jeebus H christ, the dude that doesn't want to drive a bus because of it's atheist slogan? What if I become a bus driver and don't want to drive a bus with a wonderbra advert because I'm a feminist? They'd tell me to go home and not come back to work, I'm sure!
     Reply #11 - January 16, 2009, 04:59 PM

I, like Hassan, believed Dawkins was arrogant, mainly because I read his book, the God Delusion...

But after much of my reading and research, I've started to like his approach Cheesy

And jeebus H christ, the dude that doesn't want to drive a bus because of it's atheist slogan? What if I become a bus driver and don't want to drive a bus with a wonderbra advert because I'm a feminist? They'd tell me to go home and not come back to work, I'm sure!

I thought that too, but then I thought to myself if would I be prepared to drive a bus that had the slogan "Follow the teachings of the Quran, or you will never find any happiness"

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #12 - January 16, 2009, 05:49 PM

Disagree with you here. Most religious people see him as a twat and for this reason will ignore his ideas and will probably be put off atheism.

However I do like that fact that he is making atheism more mainstream.

I used to think he was a twat and I ignored him, until I started doubting... then bit by bit I started to soften my view of him. I read his book "The God Delusion" and loved it.

I still think he is a bit arrogant, but quite frankly I'm glad he is, because religionists are so arrogant and pushy, we need someone to push back a bit and say loud and clear that Religion is irrational, baseless bullshit.
     Reply #13 - January 16, 2009, 05:53 PM

I used to think he was a twat and I ignored him, until I started doubting... then bit by bit I started to soften my view of him. I read his book "The God Delusion" and loved it.

I still think he is a bit arrogant, but quite frankly I'm glad he is, because religionists are so arrogant and pushy, we need someone to push back a bit and say loud and clear that Religion is irrational, baseless bullshit.

I agree with you there.

There was a story a while ago about someone who committed suicide after reading Dawkin's book Cheesy
     Reply #14 - January 16, 2009, 08:02 PM

Of course he's arrogant- and priggish- but that's part of his endearing charm.
    Faith heads hate his because they have no effective antidote to his bite and it's the only 'fault' they can find in him.
     His message is, like Darwin's, inexorably destined to eradicate religious ignorance.

Religion is ignorance giftwrapped in lyricism.
     Reply #15 - January 16, 2009, 08:05 PM

I have never found dawkins arrogant, nor a twat, I have always loved what he has to say and the way in which he says it.  I'm not a worshipper but I am definately a fan.  yes

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #16 - January 16, 2009, 08:23 PM

Of course he's arrogant- and priggish- but that's part of his endearing charm.
    Faith heads hate his because they have no effective antidote to his bite and it's the only 'fault' they can find in him.
     His message is, like Darwin's, inexorably destined to eradicate religious ignorance.

Fingers crossed xx.  I think his style is arrogant too, and his arguments in his book churlish, unbalanced and point scoring. Very US style in fact. 

However if that is what keeps the masses entertained, then so be it - anything that loosens the grip of right-wing  bigoted preachers is fine by me.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #17 - January 16, 2009, 08:45 PM

Fingers crossed

Astaghfirullah!

Crossing fingers is a practice of the Kuffar!

"He who imitates a people is of them!"

Repent, brother... Repent!
     Reply #18 - January 17, 2009, 12:32 AM

Fingers crossed xx.  I think his style is arrogant too, and his arguments in his book churlish, unbalanced and point scoring.

You wanted all the arguments balanced? How friggin big did you want the book to be?

I didn't find it churlish at all compared to the religious texts of the "great religions".Ok, some of his arguments were considerably weaker than others , but the worst I could say for the book is that it's a manual more for the converted than for the undecided.

As for the point scoring - just because they may come across as "cheap shots" to you doesn't mean they arent correct.

Very US style in fact. 

Just because it's a polemic ?

We are in favor of tolerance, but it is a very difficult thing to tolerate the intolerant and impossible to tolerate the intolerable.

-George Dennison Prentice
     Reply #19 - January 17, 2009, 01:11 AM

Calm down Humanoid, one man's meat is another man's poison.   
    P.S   Have you taken your medicine?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #20 - January 17, 2009, 01:17 AM

Calm down Humanoid, one man's meat is another man's poison.   
    P.S   Have you taken your medicine?

couldn't be calmer.
    and no I havent taken my medicine.

We are in favor of tolerance, but it is a very difficult thing to tolerate the intolerant and impossible to tolerate the intolerable.

-George Dennison Prentice
     Reply #21 - January 17, 2009, 06:24 AM

Found this, about the same topic, over at TalkRats.  grin12

I'd like to see a bunch of billboards on, or right outside, churches.

Well the thought did cross my mind that they should at least plan which buses to put them on depending on how many chapels, churches, and mosques are on the route and pay the driver to toot his horn as he passes each one so they look at the bus. I'd have opted for a more subtle message too like "You're Wasting Your Time You Knobhead" or "Everyone On This Bus Thinks You're A Muppet" or "We Can See You Sneaking In". Or find out which buses do the faith school runs and put "You Could Have Gone To Hogwarts" stickers on the back of the seats. That sort of thing. This campaign has got mileage.

Link here. The next few posts are crackers too.  bunny

Also this is cool: Jesus and Mo.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #22 - January 17, 2009, 09:53 AM

Well the Ahmaddiya mosque in South London had a billboard right opposite it which advertised a bra....and they petitioned to get it removed and won.I dare say they would react in the same way if not worse with one about the existence of God.
     Reply #23 - January 17, 2009, 10:07 AM

Worth a try though, just for fun.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #24 - January 17, 2009, 11:17 AM

Worth a try though, just for fun.

I'm game.  grin12
     Reply #25 - January 17, 2009, 11:30 AM

Fingers crossed xx.  I think his style is arrogant too, and his arguments in his book churlish, unbalanced and point scoring.

You wanted all the arguments balanced? How friggin big did you want the book to be?

I didn't find it churlish at all compared to the religious texts of the "great religions".Ok, some of his arguments were considerably weaker than others , but the worst I could say for the book is that it's a manual more for the converted than for the undecided.

As for the point scoring - just because they may come across as "cheap shots" to you doesn't mean they arent correct.

Very US style in fact. 

Just because it's a polemic ?

I agree with you, Humanoid. It's an excellent book. Clear, well reasoned arguments that are mostly watertight and bullet proof.

The only criticism I will make of it is  - as a friend said to me - it was an easy book to write. Not in the sense of time and effort, but that using reason and logic to criticize religion is not a terribly hard task.

But much needed nevertheless - and it's popularistic nature is EXACTLY whats needed to get through to most.

When I read it I had already lost my faith, but it was the final - and glorious - nail in the coffin that I finally buried Islam in lol Smiley
     Reply #26 - February 02, 2009, 01:58 PM

Create your own atheist bus slogan - http://ruletheweb.co.uk/b3ta/bus/ Tongue

The Friendly Atheist blog has some great suggestions in the comments section - http://friendlyatheist.com/2009/02/01/create-your-own-atheist-bus-sign/
     Reply #27 - February 02, 2009, 02:06 PM

Create your own atheist bus slogan - http://ruletheweb.co.uk/b3ta/bus/ Tongue

The Friendly Atheist blog has some great suggestions in the comments section - http://friendlyatheist.com/2009/02/01/create-your-own-atheist-bus-sign/

This one was my favorite

http://ruletheweb.co.uk/b3ta/bus/?s1=You+can+pray+for+god+to+take+you+home&s2=Or+you+can+get+on+this+bus&s3=and+actually+get+there

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #28 - February 03, 2009, 05:11 AM

Cheesy That's a great one!
     Reply #29 - February 05, 2009, 01:48 PM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1136162/There-definitely-God-Christians-hit-atheists-bus-adverts.html

http://www.brandrepublic.com/News/878758/Christians-launch-anti-atheist-bus-campaign/

A Christian group is launching a retaliation ad stating - 'There definitely is a God. So join the Christian Party and enjoy your life' Roll Eyes

The Trinitarian Bible Society is also advertising and will use the a Psalm reading - 'The fool hath said in his heart, there is no God.' It will appear on 100 buses.

The first one is quite funny but the second one pisses me off. I've seen those signs before at my train station, I don't understand why they allow them when they are insulting to atheists by calling them fools! I hope they get complaints. How do you file for complaints anyway? I think we should all complain about that just to cause controversy Tongue

Let the bus wars commence!
  • 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »