Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Race attack on Asian man in Dorchester

(Read 5379 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Race attack on Asian man in Dorchester
     OP - January 06, 2009, 06:37 PM

A DORCHESTER man beaten in a race attack today told of his ordeal as his two attackers were warned they faced jail. Khalique Miah was left beaten and bruised after the early hours attack in Dorchester. And his shock was compounded by the effect on his small son who fears his colour puts him at risk of attack too.

Former restaurateur Mr Miah was in court to see one of his attackers plead guilty to three counts of racially-aggravated assault by beating. And he vowed to return at the end of the month when the men will be sentenced at Dorchester Crown Court.

Mr Miah told the Echo how his ordeal began when his assailants shouted racist insults as he walked down Trinity Street, telling him to go back to his own country. Bangladeshi-born Mr Miah, 35, said doormen from Bar Rouge intervened and stopped the abuse but the pair attacked him. They hit him in the face then punched, kicked and pushed him. He said: "I was punched in the face and needed my wrist in plaster because I fell on it as they pushed me to the ground.

"It was such a shock. These two were sober, they knew what they were doing."

"I was shocked and so are my family and friends. My son is three and he gets up at night and cries. He says he doesn't want a brown face, he wants a white face like his mummy."

Mr Miah said he has previously suffered racial insults aimed at him and his wife, Angela, who is white.

But the violence of the attack had caused him to lose a small bit of his faith in human nature.

He said: "At the end of the day it makes me feel like an outsider. But there are quite a few Asian people in the area especially working in the restaurants in Dorchester and Weymouth and there is quite a lot of racism. White people probably don't think there is much racism but it?s here."

oh Muslim, oh servant of Allah, this is a Jew behind me, come and kill him!"
  • Re: Race attack on Asian man in Dorchester
     Reply #1 - January 06, 2009, 07:25 PM

My son is three and he gets up at night and cries. He says he doesn't want a brown face, he wants a white face like his mummy."

That is truly heart-breaking.

I would like to know whether I am the only one here that is extremely concerned that participating in criticizing Islam through video, forums, blogs etc... can contribute to such hate crimes?

I was deeply shocked and disturbed by some of the comments I got from total nutcases who applauded my videos as more 'evidence' that Islam needs to be wiped out.

What if the people who did this had been encouraged to do what they did by seeing my video or seeing a throw-away comment here, or something that fired them up in my story or blog?

Am I the only one who worries about this?
     Reply #2 - January 06, 2009, 08:57 PM

What if the people who did this had been encouraged to do what they did by seeing my video or seeing a throw-away comment here, or something that fired them up in my story or blog?

Your videos and blogs aren't encouraging violence, Hass.  You're one of the few voices criticising Islam without slipping into the Islam = Nazism mode.  If you take all your stuff down, anybody that's curious is more likely to stumble on jihad chat style incitement shit. 

Remember Serquet?  She said watching your vids actually calmed her down and made her lose her anger at muslims.

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #3 - January 06, 2009, 08:58 PM

I would like to know whether I am the only one here that is extremely concerned that participating in criticizing Islam through video, forums, blogs etc... can contribute to such hate crimes?

I was deeply shocked and disturbed by some of the comments I got from total nutcases who applauded my videos as more 'evidence' that Islam needs to be wiped out.

I haven't seen anything in your blog or videos, that to a rational, sane, person would advocate violence against anyone.

No matter where you are, or what you do, Hass, there will always be those unstable individuals who will use any means available to justify their hate, distrust, and violence.

Your worry is understandable but  it's not going to change anyone elses behavior. Anything done by those who have read things, or watched videos by you. Is solely their own decision.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I remain.
     Reply #4 - January 06, 2009, 09:15 PM

I don't think it's your videos, all they need do is switch on the news, or pick up a paper to get justification for their hatred, your videos do the opposite, they make the justification go away because they are not hasty generalisations, they are well thought out and articulated posts/videos that show the hate isn't justified.

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #5 - January 06, 2009, 09:18 PM

Thanks, Snowflake and Biaxident. You are right. I just feel a huge weight of responsibility  and I don't want to do anything wrong.
     Reply #6 - January 06, 2009, 09:19 PM

I don't think it's your videos, all they need do is switch on the news, or pick up a paper to get justification for their hatred, your videos do the opposite, they make the justification go away because they are not hasty generalisations, they are well thought out and articulated posts/videos that show the hate isn't justified.

You are right, Berbs - thanx!
     Reply #7 - January 06, 2009, 09:20 PM

I have to shamefully admit that I've done something awful because of the energy I once built up thanks to your videos, Hassan. I gave my cousin a slap in his face. He became very upset and demanded an explanation for my behaviour. I said: "Well, you see, there's this uber-scholar on the internets. His name is Hassan, and he studied Arabic and Islam and taught at the Islamia School. Guess what? He left the religion after so many years of breathing Islam! And you, how can you still remain a Muslim?! How dare you??" He responded: "I don't give a damn about this Hassan Schmassan. I curse you and the likes of him. I'm thankful for my faith!" I smacked him again. "What the fuck was that for!?", he shouted. "How dare you make fun of Hassan! He knows your religion inside out! Stop being a Muslim, now, or I'll have to choke you!".

Needless to say that bastard didn't stop believing. I strangled him to death with my bare hands. Yes, Hassan it's a very sad story, but don't hang your head, please. You are not responsible.

German ex-Muslim forumMy YouTubeList of Ex-Muslims
    Wikis: en de fr ar tr
    CEMB-Chat
    I'm on an indefinite break...
     Reply #8 - January 06, 2009, 09:38 PM

I have to shamefully admit that I've done something awful because of the energy I once built up thanks to your videos, Hassan. I gave my cousin a slap in his face. He became very upset and demanded an explanation for my behaviour. I said: "Well, you see, there's this uber-scholar on the internets. His name is Hassan, and he studied Arabic and Islam and taught at the Islamia School. Guess what? He left the religion after so many years of breathing Islam! And you, how can you still remain a Muslim?! How dare you??" He responded: "I don't give a damn about this Hassan Schmassan. I curse you and the likes of him. I'm thankful for my faith!" I smacked him again. "What the fuck was that for!?", he shouted. "How dare you make fun of Hassan! He knows your religion inside out! Stop being a Muslim, now, or I'll have to choke you!".

Needless to say that bastard didn't stop believing. I strangled him to death with my bare hands. Yes, Hassan it's a very sad story, but don't hang your head, please. You are not responsible.

ROFL!!... thanks Aziz - I needed that slap in the face Smiley
     Reply #9 - January 07, 2009, 01:27 AM

My son is three and he gets up at night and cries. He says he doesn't want a brown face, he wants a white face like his mummy."

Hass after reading the Koran I was vehemently anti Islam. For me it was inherently an extremist religion with violent texts that lead Muslims to either be violent, bigoted supremacists or hypocrites or just plain ignorant of what the Koran actually said.

I would never have attacked anyone but my language around Islam sure chimed with the thugs who talk about Islam = Nazism. (Funny that neo nazis think it's a knock down argument to accuse Islam of being nazism)

It was your videos that moderated my views. Be proud.

You are a blessing to Islam even as you criticise it from the outside you show a peaceful human face not the ex terrorist or the abused daughter hounded by misogynists from her clan.

You are an alternative to all of the ex Muslims who left Hizb, Hamas or even Maryam Namazie who experienced the Islamic revolution of Iran. All of these people talk of Islam as a monstrous thing. You just say it's wrong. I don't see how me pointing out that Christianity is absurd should cause anyone to lynch Christians. It's demonisation of people which does that.

Good work Hass
     Reply #10 - January 07, 2009, 01:31 AM

PS: Funny that the Koran which is supposed to be sublime, perfect and full of peaceful wisdom was what made me think Islam was disgusting, violent and backwards but it was Hass who criticises the Koran who made me realise it wasn't that bad.
     Reply #11 - January 07, 2009, 01:36 AM

Grin That's the difference between the Quran and "Islam". They aint necessarily synonymous.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #12 - January 07, 2009, 01:38 AM

Yeah, I can see the irony, but its not just the Qur'an.  In fact, I'd guess most of these people wouldn't know the Qur'an from a hole in the ground.  They're fed on a daily diet of tabloid nonsense - muslim sues employer for millions after refusing to handle a can of beer, muslim complains about cute puppy, muslims cause cancellation of school nativity plays, muslim country arrests nice white woman for showing her ankles in public, muslim plot to blow up something, etc, ad nauseam. 

Its got nothing to do with ex-muslims criticising their former faith, its sensationalist, rabble rousing journalism.

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #13 - January 07, 2009, 07:57 AM

Hass after reading the Koran I was vehemently anti Islam. For me it was inherently an extremist religion with violent texts that lead Muslims to either be violent, bigoted supremacists or hypocrites or just plain ignorant of what the Koran actually said.

I would never have attacked anyone but my language around Islam sure chimed with the thugs who talk about Islam = Nazism. (Funny that neo nazis think it's a knock down argument to accuse Islam of being nazism)

It was your videos that moderated my views. Be proud.

You are a blessing to Islam even as you criticise it from the outside you show a peaceful human face not the ex terrorist or the abused daughter hounded by misogynists from her clan.

You are an alternative to all of the ex Muslims who left Hizb, Hamas or even Maryam Namazie who experienced the Islamic revolution of Iran. All of these people talk of Islam as a monstrous thing. You just say it's wrong. I don't see how me pointing out that Christianity is absurd should cause anyone to lynch Christians. It's demonisation of people which does that.

Good work Hass

Thanks - I will be re-posting my vids, and be making more, just need to sort a few things first as I was getting some personal problems as a result of them.
     Reply #14 - January 07, 2009, 08:36 AM

Yeah, I can see the irony, but its not just the Qur'an.  In fact, I'd guess most of these people wouldn't know the Qur'an from a hole in the ground.  They're fed on a daily diet of tabloid nonsense - muslim sues employer for millions after refusing to handle a can of beer, muslim complains about cute puppy, muslims cause cancellation of school nativity plays, muslim country arrests nice white woman for showing her ankles in public, muslim plot to blow up something, etc, ad nauseam. 

Its got nothing to do with ex-muslims criticising their former faith, its sensationalist, rabble rousing journalism.

Agreed!

The tabloid media and even Newsnight focus on the nutters too much which makes people think that all Muslims are unhinged. Which I suppose is the reason why there are so many programs out there that try to paint Islam as a tolerant font of infinite wisdom.

But lets be fair, the media is reacting to supremacist Islamic terrorism and the trend of many young Muslims to have sympathy with the terrorists or become ultra conservative in their world view.

Undercover Mosque wasn't a fabrication, the nutters are out there and they are active.

I don't think the media attention is coming from some desire to persecute Muslims as much as it is genuine outrage at the outrageous actions of the loud Muslim minority.

Lets not pretend that a lot of Muslims aren't creating the rope that the media hangs them with.

Their parents are liberal but many young Muslims now conform to the most extreme dress codes and religious practices to separate themselves from everyone else.

There are areas of Britain that make Istanbul or Kuala Lumpa look like shining open beacons of religious liberalism. It can feel very alienating to many liberal minded people to see so many young Muslims becoming very aloof, superior and disrespectful to everything a liberal society stands for.

This creates an unspoken desire (even amongst us liberals) undermine the sense of superiority and destroy the self created walls of separation.

Too many young Muslims are abusing the liberal human rights legislation through the court system to force secular public institutions to comply to their extra rigid conservative religious demands.

It's not the whole Muslim community but it's enough to feed a public hunger to get back at this assertive and subversive community. The media are just feeding that desire.

The problem is the loud minority of radicals have the most visible dress code and shout as loud as they can "Muslim and proud" Whereas for moderates their religion is a private affair so they become invisible.

The thugs who attack people because of their colour really are a separate issue. They are not attacking people because they saw Hass debunking the Koran or they saw Ayaan Hirsi Ali talk of the innate misogyny in Islam.

I don't think for a second that they would care if the guy was a Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist or Jain. This guy or Stephen Lawrence, it don't matter they just hate the other.

Reply #15 - January 07, 2009, 08:49 AM

I don't think the media attention is coming from some desire to persecute Muslims as much as it is genuine outrage at the outrageous actions of the loud Muslim minority.

I think you're mixing up very different types of media.  Newsnight and Undercover Mosque are reporting things that it is their job to report, both extremism in Britain, and bad news from muslim countries like Iraq and Afghanistan.  There's nothing sensationalist or rabble rousing about it, that's their job.

The tabloid obsession with muslims as the killjoys of everything and ready to sue you at the drop of a hat is a different matter entirely.  Its just playing to the lowest common denominator, and it does fuel prejudice. 

The thugs who attack people because of their colour really are a separate issue.

I'm not so sure.  I think in some peoples' minds all Asians are muslim and all muslims are the enemy.  But no, they're not adopting that mentality because ex-muslims give balanced and reasonable critiques of Islam.  They do it because they read in The Sun every morning that muslims are taking over the country, planning to cancel Christmas, ban guide dogs, blah di blah.   Roll Eyes

Reply #16 - January 07, 2009, 09:23 AM

It's a thin line though.

Newsnight regularly gives dangerous idiots like Anjem Choudhary the chance to speak for the "Muslim community".

I think this is much more dangerous to community relations than The Daily Express reporting on the Muslim cabbie refusing to take a guide dog.

Also a lot of what you mention raise serious questions for liberalism when handled by reputable journalists.

Covering stories like the Shabina Begum case is quite legitimate because if the courts decide to force institutions to bend to the will of religious individuals that affects us all.

It's a thin line between serious stories like that and "Muslim sues Tesco for forcing him to sell alcohol"

I think it's less about the fact that they are covering the stories and more about how they cover the story.

Having a measured article about the implications of a court case on page 8 of The Times is totally different than the same case being emblazoned across the front of The Daily Mail saying "Muslim sues hairdresser for Burka Ban"

Also if these ultra religious nitwits stopped trying to force these cases through the courts and assert their religion beyond the private arena then the stories would dry up.

Ultimately the blame lies at the doors of the fundies who keep trying to assert their values publicly.

The press are just doing what they have always done, it ain't pretty but thats the tabloid media for you. If only the nutters stopped being such a mine of material for them.
     Reply #17 - January 07, 2009, 10:02 AM

Newsnight regularly gives dangerous idiots like Anjem Choudhary the chance to speak for the "Muslim community".

The kind of people we're talking about don't even know Newsnight exists. Its not that end of the media which is feeding attacks on Asians.

I think it's less about the fact that they are covering the stories and more about how they cover the story.

Exactly.

Also if these ultra religious nitwits stopped trying to force these cases through the courts and assert their religion beyond the private arena then the stories would dry up.

I'm afraid they wouldn't.  They would just switch from muslims to some other group but the problem would remain essentially the same.  As you say yourself...

The press are just doing what they have always done, it ain't pretty but thats the tabloid media for you.

Of course, the only thing that ever changes is their target group.

If only the nutters stopped being such a mine of material for them.

Are you sure you haven't bought into it a bit yourself there?  Is it really only muslim nutters who sue for silly things, and whine for special treatment on religious grounds?  I think there's an element of it within all communities, but the tabloids seem to give inordinate attention to the muslim version.  I can imagine if it was a muslim group who had tried to sue the BBC about Jerry Springer - The Opera, for example.  I guess it would have received ten times the amount of attention it did receive.

Reply #18 - January 08, 2009, 01:36 AM

Hello Miss Cheeetah Tongue

I have opened a new thread about the media because I don't want to talk too much on this thread because it seems in bad taste.

The lat thing I will say here is that I hope this man and his family are now left in peace and find happiness and the thugs that did it get a long stretch.
     Reply #19 - January 08, 2009, 01:48 AM

Hello Miss Cheeetah Tongue

I have opened a new thread about the media because I don't want to talk too much on this thread because it seems in bad taste.

The lat thing I will say here is that I hope this man and his family are now left in peace and find happiness and the thugs that did it get a long stretch.

Amen to that. 

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »