Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Are you happier after leaving Islam?

(Read 18600 times)
  • Previous page 1 2 3« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Are you happier after leaving Islam?
     Reply #60 - January 23, 2009, 01:50 PM

Since I stopped caring as much about being a Muslim as I once did I find myself happier with myself...I no longer care if other Muslims consider me inferior or less than merely because I am female...I no longer see myself that way so hell yes...Im much happier. On the other hand...the reasons I have been slowly leaving Islam are never far from my thoughts...so in that respect Im not only sad...but totally and seemingly never endingly consumed by anger and real hate towards this "whole culture equals Islam" thing... finmad
     Reply #61 - January 23, 2009, 02:27 PM

I know Dawkins will say it is the "God of gaps" (btw I loved his book), but the existence of the physical world - and our own existence - poses a huge question that cannot be answered.

Perhaps Dawkins is right, and that just because we don't know an answer, we shouldn't jump to a supernatural answer - and science may indeed one day explain it all - but until it does it bothers me.

Again I know that when people say that something must have started/created the whole evolutionary process - the question is; What started/created the creator?

Indeed - another question I can't answer - but that still leaves me with the feeling that there is an answer that is so unimaginably beyond our understanding and so far outside our knowledge it is futile trying to articulate it. Which is why I reject all religions, but cannot reject that there is 'something' that I can't explain.

Did all that make sense? lol

You made some huge assumptions there Tongue Physics may answer your questions for you. I've replaced God with physics and it has provided far more answers than God ever could.

About the physical world, there is every chance that we may actually be virtual. The latest physics theories seem to be suggesting that we are just quantum fluctuations, the LHC will help us confirm whether this is true or not (when they make it work anyway Tongue).

People ask how can come something come from nothing? Well it can, they're called virtual particles and they pop in and out of existence all the time. 'Nothingness' is unstable, giving rise to quantum fluctuations. In lab observations where they have studied extreme vacuums they have found it was teaming with activity at the subatomic levels with particles popping in and out of existence all the time. They caused real and predictable effects.

The start of life itself is slowly being answered. I started a thread in the Science and Reason section about the latest progresses being made. It sounds quite promising.

Don't underestimate human intelligence Wink We can understand quite a lot and if we don't we can sure as hell will try to! Wink

I'd recommend reading this article - http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn16095-its-confirmed-matter-is-merely-vacuum-fluctuations.html
    Ignore the title though, nothing has actually been confirmed yet. It's a great article though.

The biggest question in physics is what caused the physics constants and why they are so agreeable for the presence of life. One theory is a multi-verse but this has yet to be proven.

I hope I answered some of your questions there.
     Reply #62 - January 23, 2009, 02:46 PM

Quote from: PeruvianSkies
    The biggest question in physics is what caused the physics constants and why they are so agreeable for the presence of life. One theory is a multi-verse but this has yet to be proven.

What if those constants have been previously determined by a reality-creating principle? Our universe could be the simulation software of some gigantic computer, then. Alternately, the entire reality could be some kind of self-breeding programme.

Can we call this computer... God?  whistling2

Islam: where idiots meet terrorists.
     Reply #63 - January 23, 2009, 02:53 PM

What if those constants have been previously determined by a reality-creating principle? Our universe could be the simulation software of some gigantic computer, then. Alternately, the entire reality could be some kind of self-breeding programme.

There's some speculation that we are a massive quantum computer Tongue (That's basically what my link is saying). The Matrix was right, maybe that movie should be our religion as it fulfilled it's prophesy Tongue

A reality self-breeding programme? Interesting thought, how would it breed?

Also who is running this computer?
     Reply #64 - January 23, 2009, 02:54 PM

There's some speculation that we are a massive quantum computer Tongue (That's basically what my link is saying). The Matrix was right, maybe that movie should be our religion as it fulfilled it's prophesy Tongue

well God Wink Roll Eyes
     Reply #65 - January 23, 2009, 02:56 PM

well God Wink Roll Eyes

But then how does God exist and who created him? Tongue
     Reply #66 - January 23, 2009, 03:10 PM

Yes, so whenever we say God created the universe, there is question that who created God? So, there is no need to for God to be there for universe to be there. However, I just believe in God and I can be 100% wrong. I believe something very similar to Hassan.
     Reply #67 - January 23, 2009, 03:18 PM

Well you know that's actually an old idea, the reality we perceive being a gigantic hoax or illusion. The Matrix was just "borrowing" some elements from perennial philosophy. Hinduism has the concept of maya, or universal illusion as I understand it. Also, Gnostics of different sects harboured the same view.

The hypothetical computer would breed asexually, of course. Maybe self-regenerating would be a more appropriate adjective, since this hypothetical computer would be indestructible on the ultimate scale, but in the event of quantum collisions, it ought to be capable of repairing itself.

Are you perhaps interested in science-fiction? I'm writing my own little sci-fi book, it's about an eternally-repeating universe governed by tyrannical gods.

Reply #68 - January 23, 2009, 03:24 PM

Well you know that's actually an old idea, the reality we perceive being a gigantic hoax or illusion. The Matrix was just "borrowing" some elements from perennial philosophy. Hinduism has the concept of maya, or universal illusion as I understand it. Also, Gnostics of different sects harboured the same view.

The hypothetical computer would breed asexually, of course. Maybe self-regenerating would be a more appropriate adjective, since this hypothetical computer would be indestructible on the ultimate scale, but in the event of quantum collisions, it ought to be capable of repairing itself.

Are you perhaps interested in science-fiction? I'm writing my own little sci-fi book, it's about an eternally-repeating universe governed by tyrannical gods.

That's a pretty cool idea. NewScientist had an article the other stating that we are a massive hologram (an illusion pretty much) - http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20126911.300-our-world-may-be-a-giant-hologram.html

Does hinduism indicate whether there is someone making the illusion or that it's just the reality?

Quantum collisions? Virtual particles collide, is this what you mean?

I like scifi, your book sounds interesting Smiley
     Reply #69 - January 23, 2009, 03:42 PM

Does hinduism indicate whether there is someone making the illusion or that it's just the reality?

Well, Maya is supposed to be superimposed on Brahman, which is the ultimate reality and the all-permeating deity. It is neither true or untrue, because a correct understanding of Maya also leads to the experience of Brahman, but it has to power of concealing the ultimate truth. Unfortunately I'm no expert on Hindu philosophy...

You mean matter-and-antimatter particle pairs emerging from an unstable vacuum and annihilating each other soon afterwards? Not really --what I had in my mind was the possibility that Big Bang is the result of a collision between cosmic branes. In other words, I imagine that this entire Reality is infinitely vast, but some parts of it suffer damage due to supercosmic collisions, regenerating afterwards. In other words, Reality cannot die. I know I'm just making imaginative assumptions not supported by any current scientific data but well, that's the realm of science fiction.

http://archives.cnn.com/2001/TECH/space/04/13/big.bang.collision/

Reply #70 - January 23, 2009, 03:47 PM

Well, hinduism does not say there is someone making illusion. It says only one thing exist i.e. Absolute 'Brahaman' or God. We are tiny timy part of that Absolute. Absolute does not create Universe, it just becomes universe. And our current existence as an separate entity is an 'illusion' or 'maya'.

I always wonder, how the same people finally introduced millions of gods, sutee and caste system !!!!
     Reply #71 - January 23, 2009, 03:56 PM

You mean matter-and-antimatter particle pairs emerging from an unstable vacuum and annihilating each other soon afterwards? Not really --what I had in my mind was the possibility that Big Bang is the result of a collision between cosmic branes. In other words, I imagine that this entire Reality is infinitely vast, but some parts of it suffer damage due to supercosmic collisions, regenerating afterwards. In other words, Reality cannot die. I know I'm just making imaginative assumptions not supported by any current scientific data but well, that's the realm of science fiction.

http://archives.cnn.com/2001/TECH/space/04/13/big.bang.collision/

Ah, that's string theory isn't it?

You may be right about your part of theory, the quantum world is a very weird place after all Wink It seems even more unrealistic then scifi Tongue

However can we see or detect these damages? How long till the universe repairs itself?
     Reply #72 - January 23, 2009, 04:10 PM

You may be right about your part of theory, the quantum world is a very weird place after all  It seems even more unrealistic then scifi

Yes. For all that matters, I assume that Reality is essentially organic, sustaining damage and self-repairing, some of its parts dissolving through entropy and some parts exploding into existence, in Big Bang style.

However can we see or detect these damages? How long till the universe repairs itself?

Well now I can go to my corner and whimper all day standing on one leg, because I wouldn't know.

Reply #73 - January 23, 2009, 04:31 PM

You may be right about your part of theory, the quantum world is a very weird place after all  It seems even more unrealistic then scifi

Yes. For all that matters, I assume that Reality is essentially organic, sustaining damage and self-repairing, some of its parts dissolving through entropy and some parts exploding into existence, in Big Bang style.

Well now I can go to my corner and whimper all day standing on one leg, because I wouldn't know.

Go back to your corner till you can provide evidence Tongue
  • Are you happier after leaving Islam?
     Reply #74 - June 22, 2016, 05:44 PM

After leaving islam, it was literally like a mountain was lifted off my shoulders. I did not find comfort in religion as much as I hated myself because of it. Islam made me feel like I was not good enough, not worthy, that I always have to do something more in order to gain god's approval. This sort of caused me to become pretty bitter and angry at the religion in general. In the end, when I left islam, that's all the surfaced: bitterness and hatred towards islam itself for causing me so much suffering.
  • Are you happier after leaving Islam?
     Reply #75 - June 23, 2016, 12:04 AM

I think zealotry comes down to personality types. I could never be that devout it wasn't in me, some people are just genetically inclined to be obedient or slavelike I believe, whilst others are more assertive and leaders. Maybe it isn't genes at all maybe it's environment.

But to answer the question, if I wasn't happy before chances are I still won't be. I just don't have to deal with the issue of God or religion's requirements.

But yes it's quite difficult to let go of that rope, but I prefer and feel I am better off.

• Previous page 1 2 3« Previous thread | Next thread »