Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Lights on the way
by akay
Today at 04:40 PM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 02:45 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: More Asian women 'use hard drugs'

(Read 5578 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • More Asian women 'use hard drugs'
     OP - January 05, 2009, 01:06 PM

A growing number of Asian women are using Class A drugs, according to leading Asian drugs charity Nafas.

Ten years ago drug misuse amongst British Asian women was unheard of. Now, Nafas says it is treating 20 to 25 women for heroin addiction a year in east London alone - a figure it believes is just the tip of the iceberg.

Family honour

The manager of the Nafas drugs project in east London, Tohel Ahmed, said Asian girls hooked on drugs are particularly vulnerable. He said: "We think this is the next big problem for the Asian community, these females. Many of them start young, and we've had 14, 15-year-olds.

Community reluctance

She said: "The stigma against substance misuse seems to be almost like the last taboo. We've got to take a very serious look and see what the level of problems is and where these girls are going for support."

It is a view shared by Zarina. She thinks Asian girls are too scared to come forward for fear of violent reprisals.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7809758.stm

oh Muslim, oh servant of Allah, this is a Jew behind me, come and kill him!"
  • Re: More Asian women 'use hard drugs'
     Reply #1 - January 05, 2009, 01:39 PM

wacko wow, I woudn't even have thought it would be a problem, at least not enough to warrant mentioning it as a rising trend.

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #2 - January 05, 2009, 01:49 PM

On Network East, if anyone still remembers the show, many years ago they gave the statistic of, in Tower Hamlet, half the Bengali households have a drugs user (Heroin) living with them. This was in the 90's when there was a massive problem in the area.

In some areas, of east London, heroin abuse is such a common place I've seen people taking heroin openly in public.

oh Muslim, oh servant of Allah, this is a Jew behind me, come and kill him!"
     Reply #3 - January 05, 2009, 01:54 PM

Heroin wasn't prevalent where I grew up, I know moroccans hooked on crack, but not heroin, sure they are out there but I don't know them or of them through the backbiting gossiping underground network.

That's so screwed up, stick to soft drugs I say.

Reply #4 - January 05, 2009, 02:07 PM

Why take any drugs at all?  Thread sneaker
     Reply #5 - January 05, 2009, 02:23 PM

Why take any drugs at all?  Thread sneaker

Your attitude is the better one Dio, no drugs at all  Afro, but honestly I can identify with the reasons someone would want to lose themselves in that temporary high.

I just think soft drugs achieve the same result, in that they help you escape the pain.

Reply #6 - January 05, 2009, 02:31 PM

Not wanting to sound the goody-two-shoes, but...trying to escape the pain usually ends up causing bigger pain... pain is mostly there for a reason - it shows you that something is amiss. (and believe you me... I know ALL about escapism...)
     Reply #7 - January 05, 2009, 02:35 PM

Not wanting to sound the goody-two-shoes, but...trying to escape the pain usually ends up causing bigger pain... pain is mostly there for a reason - it shows you that something is amiss. (and believe you me... I know ALL about escapism...)

It takes something though, to recognise that, and often they don;t learn that until after the heartache and pain they cause themselves.

It's a tough place to be in.

I had a friend, I met her in my first childrens home when I was 14/15 (been in foster care prior to that), she was 16 and a heroin addict, the addiction wasn't started by her, but by her father when she was 11, so that he could rape her whilst she was out of it.

Even though she was out of that life, she was now an addict and continued to take it to escape the memories.  Right up until they dragged her body out of the canal. 

I've met many a drug addict (female) who has a story like that behind them.

Reply #8 - January 05, 2009, 02:39 PM

Yes, there are cases, where the pain is just too bad to be borne, let alone confronted without help... but I don?t think, those are cases for "soft" drugs, anyway, don?t you think?
    And when someone has a festering wound, just giving them amnesiac will only make the wound get worse - what is needed is an operation, to close and heal it, no?
     Reply #9 - January 05, 2009, 02:43 PM

Yes, there are cases, where the pain is just too bad to be borne, let alone confronted without help... but I don?t think, those are cases for "soft" drugs, anyway, don?t you think?
    And when someone has a festering wound, just giving them amnesiac will only make the wound get worse - what is needed is an operation, to close and heal it, no?

Of course, but like I said, individuals need to learn that lesson the best way they know how, some people need to make the mistake to recognise it for a mistake, others know beforehand that it would be a grave mistake.

I have been offered heroin before, and crack before, never took them because I did not want to become an addict to such hard to get off of drugs.  But I did have a moment, after my daughter was born and I was living in a refuge, in which I went on a rampaging suicidal drug bender and did drugs I frowned upon before.  It wasn't until I was lying in the hospital with moniters and drips hanging off of me that I saw I did not want to die, that the pain was more tolerable than the total end.

I am fortunate my anger got me through the withdrawls, but I know what drives so many, because I have been there once before.

Reply #10 - January 05, 2009, 02:46 PM

Oh, I can sympathise with that, Berbs - am only speaking in the abstract, what one SHOULD do and chose... and you, thankfully, survived this to get well! Unfortunately, many don?t...  Cry
     Reply #11 - January 05, 2009, 02:48 PM

Oh, I can sympathise with that, Berbs - am only speaking in the abstract, what one SHOULD do and chose... and you, thankfully, survived this to get well! Unfortunately, many don?t...  Cry

Yeah, I know lol it's you FFS, I don't need to explain the motivation to you since you have an empathic nature anyway hugs

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »