Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Call to prayer - Opening Prayer

(Read 4773 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Call to prayer - Opening Prayer
     OP - December 26, 2008, 12:39 PM

Just a quick question to the Islam experts on the site of which I am not one.

Christians, at least the ones that believe in the Trinity, would open a prayer with something along the lines of

In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, hear my prayer....

Can someone confirm the Islamic equivalent because I have seen on the other site that the Islamic opening prayer includes a line asking Allah to curse the disbelievers and some versions may even include a line which asks Allah to curse the Jews.

Is this true and if so could it be that some of these opening prayers are being broadcast from Mosques in the UK?
  • Re: Call to prayer - Opening Prayer
     Reply #1 - December 26, 2008, 12:50 PM

Maybe you mean Al-Fatihah, "The Opening", the first Surah "Chapter" in the Qur'an.

Bismillah Ar-Rahman Ar-Raheem

In the name of God, the Compassionate, the Merciful.

Al-hamdulillah Rabb il-'Alameen

All praise is due to God, Lord of the worlds

Ar-Rahman Ar-Raheem

the Compassionate, the Merciful

Maalik yowm ad-deen

Master of the day of judgment

Iyyaka na'budu, wa iyyaka nasta'een

You we worship, you we ask for help

Ihdina siraat al-mustaqeem

Guide us to the straight way

Siraat alladheena an'amta alayhim

the way of those of whom is your favour

ghayril maghdoobi alayhim

not the way of those on whom is your curse

wa laa d-daaleen

nor the astray

The last two lines have been interpreted by some to mean the jews and the christians. jews being cursed, christians astray. but not all interpret it like this. this "prayer" is recited in every rak'ah (unit) of the 5 daily prayers. It's said at least 17 times a day by an observant muslim.

It's not asking Allah to curse the jews. If the cursed is understood to be 'the jews', it's asking not to be cursed like them.

I chose to get circumcised at 17, don't tell me I never believed.
     Reply #2 - December 26, 2008, 12:53 PM

Thanks awais but I have seen something much more specific. The poster was Haik Monsieur on FFI but I can no longer find his post as there is so much material on that site.
     Reply #3 - December 26, 2008, 12:54 PM

Then I will tell you from my experience: I have never heard a formal prayer that asks Allah to curse the Jews.

I'd be interested to see what was said when/if you can find it.

Reply #4 - December 26, 2008, 03:59 PM

The opening prayer is exactly as awais posted, there is also the call to prayer:

4x   Allah hu Akbar ~ God is the Greatest
    2x   Ash-hadu anna lā ilāha illallāh   ~ I bear witness that there is no deity except God
    2x   Ash-hadu anna Muhammadan rasūl allāh ~ I bear witness that Muhammad [SAW] is the Messenger of God
    2x   Hayya 'alas-salāt ~ Make haste towards prayer
    2x         Hayya 'alal-falāh ~ Make haste towards welfare
    2x   Hayya 'alā Khair al-'amal ~ Make haste towards the best thing
    2x   Allah u Akbar ~ God is the Greatest
    2x   Lā ilāha illallāh   ~ There is no deity except God

I have never heard an opening prayer that curses the jews.

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #5 - December 26, 2008, 04:35 PM

Maybe I've got it wrong but I saw a similar 3 line prayer opening on Hassan's blog but the one I saw on FFI had an additional fourth line relating to the Jews.

Reply #6 - December 26, 2008, 04:41 PM

The Quran and the Hadith are rife with examples of Judeophobia. I don't know of any opening prayers with a unique anti-Semitic emphasis, though. But that's just a technical detail, really.

Here is an incomplete list:

http://prophetofdoom.net/Islamic_Quotes_Jews.Islam

It's not asking Allah to curse the jews. If the cursed is understood to be 'the jews', it's asking not to be cursed like them.

If Allah (i.e. Mohammad) states unequivocally that Jews are cursed, asking "not to be cursed like them" would only strengthen the language of hatred, not alleviate it.

Islam: where idiots meet terrorists.
     Reply #7 - December 26, 2008, 09:00 PM

I don't know about "strengthening the language of hatred" as that will come down to personal interpretation. However, if the line about those who are cursed does refer to the Jews then it is rather disingenuous (or possibly naive) to claim that the opening lines of the prayer do not curse the Jews.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #8 - December 26, 2008, 10:52 PM

Here is the thread I was referring to. I was wondering if this prayer was an official one or just something invented. Perhaps someone can make sense of it.

http://www.faithfreedom.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=60206

Reply #9 - December 26, 2008, 11:18 PM

Never heard that one myself, personally in all my years, and I was born into a muslim family...

"At 8:47 I do a grenade jump off a ladder."
     Reply #10 - December 26, 2008, 11:23 PM

Well it could have been made up by any old imam. No pope in Islam and all that.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #11 - December 26, 2008, 11:39 PM

Well it could have been made up by any old imam. No pope in Islam and all that.

Most likely. Imams have their favourite dua's they like to invoke.

Reply #12 - December 27, 2008, 12:49 AM

Word for Word: Other then those there is anger upon.

The word is 'anger' not curse. As usual I find the Arabic worse then its English translation. Anger implies an active passion. A curse, is just something passive.

wa laa d-daaleen

nor the astray

[/quote]
    I agree with your interpretation Awais. The common knowledge in Egypt is that, those Two lines applies to Jews & Christians. But many Arab muslims, being good people, will refute this common interpretation if they are questioned a little bit. It is a common knowledge they took for granted all their lives and never questioned it. It is what I call a 'weak belief'.

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
     Reply #13 - December 27, 2008, 12:56 AM

Word for Word: Other then those there is anger upon.

The word is 'anger' not curse. As usual I find the Arabic worse then its English translation. Anger implies an active passion. A curse, is just something passive.

You're right, that is a better translation. I was just working from memory from some published one.

Reply #14 - December 27, 2008, 01:36 AM

wa laa d-daaleen

nor the astray

I agree with your interpretation Awais. The common knowledge in Egypt is that, those Two lines applies to Jews & Christians. But many Arab muslims, being good people, will refute this common interpretation if they are questioned a little bit. It is a common knowledge they took for granted all their lives and never questioned it. It is what I call a 'weak belief'.

It's in Bukhari or somewhere that it refers to Jews and Christians and the Hilali & Khan Qur'an (which I sadly threw in the recycle bin) has (Jews) and (Christians) (in brackets) (with the footnote) (referring to the Hadith).

What I would like your opinion on though is: why can't we reinterpret things to suit ourselves? Do we really know what Muhammad thought about these things? What is wrong with revisionism ( if it is that ) in translation? For example there are at least three translations out there which do not translate 4:34 as "beat". One by Ahmed Ali, one by Edip Yuksel et al, and one by Laleh Bakhtiar. Even if the original intent of the verse was "to beat"  what are the arguments against translating it some other way?

Historically there have always been people who didn't concentrate on those aspects of the deen which I think we all consider nefarious; for example Ibn Arabi whose book Miskhat al-Anwar consists of hadith qudsi some of which he may have cold made up. Some of our more heterodox predecessors have interpreted what they believe to be the 'hidden meanings' of the Qur'an. At the very least it's an intellectual exercise in literary theory. And seemingly on the other side of the axis you have naked, ganja smoking Qalandars, Abdals and all sorts of other folk described in Ahmet Karamustafa's God's Unruly Friends.

I'm not taking any sides here, just wanting perspectives.

The language of the mob was only the language of public opinion cleansed of hypocrisy and restraint - Hannah Arendt.
     Reply #15 - December 27, 2008, 02:06 AM

why can't we reinterpret things to suit ourselves? Do we really know what Muhammad thought about these things? What is wrong with revisionism ( if it is that ) in translation? For example there are at least three translations out there which do not translate 4:34 as "beat". One by Ahmed Ali, one by Edip Yuksel et al, and one by Laleh Bakhtiar. Even if the original intent of the verse was "to beat"  what are the arguments against translating it some other way?

Why not just leave it as it is? Or cross it out, as Rabeya did in Taqwacores. "I crossed it out. Now I feel alot better about the Qur'an." Reject it for being wrong, and not sugarcoat, or paint it pretty to not mean what it does. Nice try for the muslims trying to maintain that the whole Qur'an is perfect, and lenient, but to me it's intellectual dishonesty.

Historically there have always been people who didn't concentrate on those aspects of the deen which I think we all consider nefarious; for example Ibn Arabi whose book Miskhat al-Anwar consists of hadith qudsi some of which he may have cold made up. Some of our more heterodox predecessors have interpreted what they believe to be the 'hidden meanings' of the Qur'an. At the very least it's an intellectual exercise in literary theory. And seemingly on the other side of the axis you have naked, ganja smoking Qalandars, Abdals and all sorts of other folk described in Ahmet Karamustafa's God's Unruly Friends.

I'm not taking any sides here, just wanting perspectives.

It's cool, and they can do what they want. My favorite hidden meanings of the Qur'an/Islam is from the Assassins:

"Students have to pass through nine degrees of initiation."

1st Degree

"In the first, the teachers threw their pupils into a state of doubt about all conventional ideas, religious and political. They used false analogy and every other device of argument to make the aspirant believe that what he had been taught by his previous mentors was prejudiced and capable of being challenged. ...formal knowledge was merely the cloak for hidden, inner and powerful truth, whose secret would be imparted when the youth was ready to receive it. (called the 'confusion technique')

2nd Degree

"The neophyte is taught to believe that God's approval cannot be won by observing the prescriptions of Islam, unless the inner Doctrine, of which they are mere symbols, be received from the Imam to whom its guardianship has been entrusted."

3rd ... 4th ...

5th Degree

"Here the proselyte is further instructed in the 'Science of Numbers' and in the application of the 'Ta'wil', so that he discards many of the traditions, learns to speak contemptuously of the state of Religion, pays less and less heed to the letter of Scripture, and looks forward to the abolition of all outward observances of Islam."

6th Degree

"Here the proselyte is taught the allegorical meaning of the rites and obligations of Islam, such as prayer, alms, pilgrimage, fasting, and the like, and is then persuaded that their outward observance is a matter of no importance, and may be abandoned, since they were only instituted by wise and philosophical lawgivers as a check to restrain the vulgar and unenlightened herd."

7th ... 8th ...

9th Degree

"In this, the last degree of initiation, every vestige of dogmatic religion has been practically cast aside, and the initiate is become a philosopher pure and simple, free to adopt such system or admixture as may be most to his taste."

- Edward Granville Brown, in St Bart's Hospital Journal (March 1897)

""Khadhulu is the Arabic word meaning 'abandoner' or 'forsaker'... Khadhulu is a type of spiritual force that powers the practices of Tafrid and Tajrid- exercises that are used to transcend (abandon) normal cultural programming. The idea is that by transcending (abandoning) Dogma and fixed beliefs, a person can see reality as it is." - Parker Ryan, The Necronomicon and Ancient Arab Magick

Reply #16 - December 27, 2008, 02:14 AM

to me it's intellectual dishonesty.

That's a good answer.

As for the Assassins - goddamn! That's some good shit. Thanks for letting me know about that. I'd heard of them but knew nothing about them. Sounds like my cup of [poppy] tea Smiley

The language of the mob was only the language of public opinion cleansed of hypocrisy and restraint - Hannah Arendt.
     Reply #17 - December 27, 2008, 06:54 AM

Here is the thread I was referring to. I was wondering if this prayer was an official one or just something invented. Perhaps someone can make sense of it.

Sounds like someone is telling porky pies over at FFI, what a surprise.

According to haik  Roll Eyes this is what is blasted out of the loud speakers, ie the "adhan" (call to prayer).  The real adhan called out is the one I posted on page 1 of this thread.

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #18 - December 27, 2008, 07:10 AM

wa laa d-daaleen

nor the astray

It's in Bukhari or somewhere that it refers to Jews and Christians and the Hilali & Khan Qur'an (which I sadly threw in the recycle bin) has (Jews) and (Christians) (in brackets) (with the footnote) (referring to the Hadith).

What I would like your opinion on though is: why can't we reinterpret things to suit ourselves? Do we really know what Muhammad thought about these things? What is wrong with revisionism ( if it is that ) in translation? For example there are at least three translations out there which do not translate 4:34 as "beat". One by Ahmed Ali, one by Edip Yuksel et al, and one by Laleh Bakhtiar. Even if the original intent of the verse was "to beat"  what are the arguments against translating it some other way?

You are referring to 'reforming'. You can reform through erasure of scripture, or rewriting scripture. Of course it is great to reform something that needs reforming. However, reforming through translation is a sham. Unless the original language becomes a dead language, only available to academics. How else do you suggest, you can walk to few Hundred million of people like me who speak Arabic, and explain to us that your new translation means anything of value. You think Arabs will read the translations of 4:34 over the Arabic text?

Another issue is 'pace'. What to change and how much to change, and reaching the same conclusion as everyone else?

It is clear that most muslims are happy with seeing 4:34 go away. So that should be a good start, but how far will muslims go along with this reformation? Specially now that information is so widely spread.

You have to actively strike the verse off (at least abrogating or de-activating it), or re-write it, actively.

The 40 or so, "Hadith qudsi" (divine hadith) is so far in opposition to everything muhammad said, that it is probable the writer made up/modified this hadith. It is good news indeed that people are so willing to accept such clear fabrications.

But then, what are we saving here? Are we trying to save the good bits of the koran? It is not like the koran has some good stuff that we need to save or hide. The book is horrible on every level. Until now I never managed to find a single good thread of verses.

If we cover the koran under the veneer of some hadith kodsi or a minor re-write, are we really doing a favor to all those people who still have to live under the yoke of theocracy?

The only reform of islam that can have any useful impact, is to follow the same path as Christianity and Convince people that the material in their hands was not directly written by a god. Convince them that they do not possess an absolute Truth. That to get anything done, they have to turn to their secular institutions and Science and most importantly, to reason.

I do not believe that any of those false translations are an advantage to muslims, quite the opposite.

It is a matter of confirmation vs instruction. Once people get confirmation that the book is good, through a translation ruse, then the people will rely more on that book in their life. But the Sharia judges, who will get confirmed by misled muslims, those judges will get their instructions from the koran, not from translations.

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
     Reply #19 - December 27, 2008, 08:30 AM

Sounds like someone is telling porky pies over at FFI, what a surprise.

According to haik  Roll Eyes this is what is blasted out of the loud speakers, ie the "adhan" (call to prayer).  The real adhan called out is the one I posted on page 1 of this thread.

No, reading it again, sounds like he means the Jumuah khutbah is blasted out the speakers, which is not uncommon for a mosque that fills up and spills out into the street. And he's talking about a dua that is read. It is not specific, but general tone of the duas read, an example of what one's wording would be, not a fixed formal prayer, nor the call to prayer.

Quote from: Haik Monsieur
    I hear it almost every week from the nearest mosque here (from their loudspeakers). I heard it today too.

There is a prayer at the end of the second segment of Friday sermon.

...(There is a) prayer.. (that is) repeated every week and all Muslims says Amen to...

...(the following is a) model of prayer which can be heard...

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »