Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Iranian president to deliver Channel 4's alternative Christmas message

(Read 9064 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Iranian president to deliver Channel 4's alternative Christmas message
     OP - December 24, 2008, 03:05 PM

Iranian president to deliver Channel 4's alternative Christmas message

Channel 4 has opted to end the year on a controversial note by inviting the president of Iran, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, to give the broadcaster's alternative Christmas message tomorrow.

But the channel has shied away from scheduling the president's address against the Queen's Christmas speech at 3pm. Unlike most years, it is not airing its alternative Christmas message at the same time as the Queen, but is instead scheduling Ahmadinejad's message at 7.15pm.

Channel 4 has said that the Muslim president, who has a hostile relationship with many western countries, will deliver a spiritual address that will feature a message of seasonal goodwill.

It will be preceded by a short introduction designed to place his speech in context, the broadcaster added.

Ahmadinejad will argue that the world is in its current predicament because people have lost spiritual faith.

He will also make thinly veiled criticisms of western powers in a reference to the "tyrannical policies of prevailing global economic and political systems".

"If Christ was on earth today undoubtedly he would stand with the people in opposition to bullying, ill-tempered and expansionist powers," he will say. "If Christ was on earth today undoubtedly he would hoist the banner of justice and love for humanity to oppose warmongers, occupiers, terrorists and bullies the world over.

"If Christ was on earth today undoubtedly he would fight against the tyrannical policies of prevailing global economic and political systems, as he did in his lifetime," he will say. "The solution to today's problems can be found in a return to the call of the divine prophets."

The Channel 4 head of news and current affairs, Dorothy Byrne, argued that the selection of such controversial figure was in line with the broadcaster's policy of providing an "alternative world view" and reflected the extensive coverage it has given to Iran in recent times.

"As the leader of one of the most powerful states in the Middle East, President Ahmadinejad's views are enormously influential," she said. "As we approach a critical time in international relations, we are offering our viewers an insight into an alternative world view.

"Channel 4 has devoted more airtime to examining Iran than any other broadcaster and this message continues a long tradition of offering a different perspective on the world around us."

However, when the president makes his address on Christmas night he will speak to a nation more likely to be tuned in to TV shows such as Strictly Come Dancing and Coronation Street.

Since it launched in 1993, Channel 4's alternative Christmas message has been delivered by a varied selection of presenters including an injured veteran from the war in Afghanistan, Quentin Crisp, the Reverend Jesse Jackson, Doreen and Neville Lawrence, Genelle Guzman, a 9/11 survivor and The Simpsons.

Source

This should be interesting.  Cheesy

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
  • Re: Iranian president to deliver Channel 4's alternative Christmas message
     Reply #1 - December 24, 2008, 10:56 PM

Ahmadinejad will argue that the world is in its current predicament because people have lost spiritual faith.
    He will also make thinly veiled criticisms of western powers in a reference to the "tyrannical policies of prevailing global economic and political systems".

"If Christ was on earth today undoubtedly he would stand with the people in opposition to bullying, ill-tempered and expansionist powers," he will say. "If Christ was on earth today undoubtedly he would hoist the banner of justice and love for humanity to oppose warmongers, occupiers, terrorists and bullies the world over.
    "If Christ was on earth today undoubtedly he would fight against the tyrannical policies of prevailing global economic and political systems, as he did in his lifetime," he will say. "The solution to today's problems can be found in a return to the call of the divine prophets."

On the one hand, it's not hard to pinpoint over a billion problems with the West.
    At the same time, didn't he ever read what Jesus said about the splinter in his brother's eye?

The bit in bold especially, a clear case of projection?
     Reply #2 - December 25, 2008, 05:37 AM

This is politically correct, anti Zionist, anti imperialist idiocy at it's worst.

Would Channel 4 give such prestigious airtime to a far right European tyrant who tortured and executed Sunni Muslims, gays, journalists, union members, women and children in the name of Christ? Something tells me there would be no chance of that happening.

I surmise they are only giving this buffoon airtime because they like his defiance of America apreciate his contempt for Israel and they adhere staunchly to the dogma of supporting the underdog.

What a bunch of misguided fools.

Even if they don't care about the majority of the people executed they should stand in support of Iranian journalists and bloggers who risk their lives to honestly report and criticise the regime. But no Channel 4 has sold out their Iranian collegues.

They have a more important agenda than supporting their fellow journalists human rights, they have anti imperialist values to uphold. Hurray for Channel 4 kicking the Western imperialists up the arse.

Here is Peter Tatchell's take on it

http://www.petertatchell.net/international/channel4colludeswithirantyranny.htm
     Reply #3 - December 25, 2008, 07:53 AM

Anything is better. Nothing could be more boring than the Queen's Speech.

"...every imperfection in man is a bond with heaven..." - Karl Marx
     Reply #4 - December 25, 2008, 09:36 AM

Tongue Too true Mr P The Queens Christmas message is as dull as dishwater and the idea of an alternative is all well and good but Channel 4 could have got Nelson Mandela, The Dalai Lama or someone else to bring a message of peace.

Their choice is without doubt a partisan and provocative one.

Whoever was in charge of the decision is obviously a fully paid up member of the anti imperialist left. That is the only group of nutters who would decide that a man who presides over the hanging of teenage girls and the murder of gays is appropriate to bring us a Christmas message. 

Why choose the head of a murderous theocratic state to lecture a predominantly secular nation about religion and peace?

There would be uproar if they had someone like Milosovic or Putin but because he is a Muslim who opposes America and Israel he is suddenly a respectable tyrant.

Nothing surprises me.

What does surprise me is you guys seem unfazed by the decision but I get the feeling you would be if it was a Western leader who strung up young girls for crimes against chastity.

Why is there a blindspot when it comes to these anti western leaders, why are they held to a different standard of morality?

Reply #5 - December 25, 2008, 10:41 AM

You really like imperialism don't you?

But it's just a rating's winner. Look how much you're talking about it.  Tongue Roll Eyes

"...every imperfection in man is a bond with heaven..." - Karl Marx
     Reply #6 - December 25, 2008, 10:46 AM

What does surprise me is you guys seem unfazed by the decision but I get the feeling you would be if it was a Western leader who strung up young girls for crimes against chastity.

And just who is "you guys"?

Because I agree with all your points, it's sickening to me to have this vile man give the alternative Xmas message, it goes against everything the message should stand for.

Reply #7 - December 25, 2008, 01:30 PM

This is what i meant by my tirade against laicism. How some self-proclaimed seculars, would only go as far as turning on their own personal religions, yet jump on the bandwagon of the first nutcase hamandeenkebob who comes with a different/exotic culture, no matter what the reality of that culture.

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
     Reply #8 - December 25, 2008, 10:03 PM

Tongue Too true Mr P The Queens Christmas message is as dull as dishwater and the idea of an alternative is all well and good but Channel 4 could have got Nelson Mandela, The Dalai Lama or someone else to bring a message of peace.

Their choice is without doubt a partisan and provocative one.

Whoever was in charge of the decision is obviously a fully paid up member of the anti imperialist left. That is the only group of nutters who would decide that a man who presides over the hanging of teenage girls and the murder of gays is appropriate to bring us a Christmas message. 

Why choose the head of a murderous theocratic state to lecture a predominantly secular nation about religion and peace?

There would be uproar if they had someone like Milosovic or Putin but because he is a Muslim who opposes America and Israel he is suddenly a respectable tyrant.

Nothing surprises me.

Why is there a blindspot when it comes to these anti western leaders, why are they held to a different standard of morality?

I suppose the reason I'm unfazed by it is because I never watch the Christmas messages anyway, regardless of who they are delivered by, so it didn't really register on my radar. However I agree that all your points are valid and the choice of Ahmadinejad is both utterly ridiculous and reprehensible.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #9 - December 25, 2008, 10:59 PM

The word "imperialist" and its persistent usage by some confused, ideology-consumed Leftists has made me strongly allergenic to the word. Nowadays, it has a meaning similar to "apostate from far Leftist dogmas." Labels like "neo-liberals" and "Zionists" serve the same function, through alienation of their original meanings.

This is politically correct, anti Zionist, anti imperialist idiocy at it's worst.

Yes. The hypocrites speak the loudest.

Islam: where idiots meet terrorists.
     Reply #10 - December 26, 2008, 12:00 AM

Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iih1aEj2vgI

I chose to get circumcised at 17, don't tell me I never believed.
     Reply #11 - December 26, 2008, 08:06 AM

The introduction basically positioned the Iranian regime as the good guys and the Americans as bullies. It white washed all of the Iranian regimes terrors by saying they have now been discontinued, according to who?

The speech was less of a Christmas message and more of a nod to the Abrahmic faiths (of which Armedhinijad thinks Islam is the pinnacle) a chastisement of secularism and a claim that Jesus would be on the side of radical Islam.

Unless he was saying that Jesus would be on the side of those who upheld the Universal Declaration of Human Rights? But We all know what he meant. Jesus would oppose America and side with Hezbollah, Hamas and Iran.

It was outrageous to have this sick tyrant with his backward superstitions lecture a secular country which upholds human rights on the error of our ways. How condescending of Channel 4.

Has anyone from the mainstream media condemned this yet?
     Reply #12 - December 26, 2008, 09:13 AM

By the way Panoptic I don't like imperialism, I just know the difference between the foreign policies of modern liberal democracies and eighteenth and nineteenth century imperialism.

The Iraq war, Afghanistan and the creation of Israel(even the expansion of Israel) have nothing in common with trying to conquer as many nations as you can to bring them under the direct governance of your monarch or parliament, viciously repressing the local culture as you colonise these new realms with your own people giving them a privileged status over the natives.   

Even if you are going to be a simplistic cynic and narrow down recent liberal democratic foreign policy to fighting for oil there is a big difference between fighting for resources and full blast imperial colonialism.

Yes there are some minor similarities in the military misadventures of modern liberal democracies to those of the empires of old but tiny similarities do not make an empire.

The Left in the West has split into two factions, those who essentially seek to oppose tyranny and uphold human rights and the more mainstream Left which sees the world as a sort of Star Wars made real.

It's these people who apologise for and make friends with the human rights abusers and genocidal regimes that make George Bush look like Ghandi.

How can liberals do such a thing, how do they square the circle? It's easy when you view Bush (and soon Obama) as Darth Vader and Armadhinijad as Obi Wan Kenobi.

The reason why the Iranian regime are feted by liberal media outlets and genocide in Darfur doesn't raise as much anger on the Left as houses being bulldozed on the West Bank is because of a concept.

The concept of anti imperialism or in other words anti Americanism.

You have today on the Liberal family tree a big narrative (which has been around longer than George Bush) according to which the world is directed by a big battle between two forces.

On one side the so called Empire (America and it's lackeys) on the other side the anti empire forces, those who decide to oppose the force of the Empire.

All the victims, all the blood baths, all the massacres which match with this story, which fit easily into this big fantasy script gather the attention of the world.

If you have a murder or a genocide which has nothing to do with this narrative or worse still paints the anti imperialist forces in a bad light then it is ignored or called a lie.

This narrative effectively squashes the universal declaration of human rights and makes human rights a tool of empire to be opposed.

It's not that I like imperialism I just don't see much of it about and I dislike the simplistic and destructive anti imperialist narrative with a vengeance.
     Reply #13 - December 26, 2008, 10:20 AM

Has anyone from the mainstream media condemned this yet?

Rhetorical question?  Smiley

Also your last post is a cracker IMO.

Reply #14 - December 26, 2008, 11:23 AM

Cheers osmanthus.

Here is a leaked copy of C4's list of potential raconteurs for their Christmas message.

Osama Bin Laden

Ayman Alzawahiri

Hassan Nasrallah

Radko Vladic

Radovan Karad?ić

Fred West

Dennis Nielson

David Irving

Robert Mugabe

Attila the Hun

Joking aside, imagine the uproar if they had decided to have an Israeli politician?

parrot
     Reply #15 - December 26, 2008, 12:08 PM

seeing as Jesus was actually born Jewish, having an Israeli laudator doesn?t seem so far fetched!  cool2
     Reply #16 - December 26, 2008, 12:09 PM

seeing as Jesus was actually born Jewish, having an Israeli laudator doesn?t seem so far fetched!  cool2

was born jewish? you mean he converted to christianity? Cheesy

Reply #17 - December 26, 2008, 12:13 PM

was born jewish? you mean he converted to christianity? Cheesy

No, he didn?t convert to anything. He was born jewish, but transcends that.
     Reply #18 - December 26, 2008, 12:21 PM

No, he didn?t convert to anything. He was born jewish, but transcends that.

Transcends...? Elaborate.

Reminds me of Ann Coulter's "Perfected Jews".

Reply #19 - December 26, 2008, 03:23 PM

Here is a leaked copy of C4's list of potential raconteurs for their Christmas message.

I nominate David Icke.

Islam: where idiots meet terrorists.
     Reply #20 - December 27, 2008, 03:03 AM

Better still a shape shifting reptilian member of the Illuminati.

Ted Heath  Cheesy
     Reply #21 - December 27, 2008, 03:13 AM

Better still a shape shifting reptilian member of the Illuminati.

I'd like to meet a real one. That'd be cool. parrot

Reply #22 - December 27, 2008, 03:16 AM

I like this review of the Reptilian Agenda from Amazon:

Why is it that conspiracy theorists always seems to misspell key words and write in all caps?

Besides, everyone knows that "reptilian" thing is pure hoax -- the reality is the world is controlled by evil metamorphic cockroaches from Arturus. Kafka was only half-right.

The language of the mob was only the language of public opinion cleansed of hypocrisy and restraint - Hannah Arendt.
     Reply #23 - December 27, 2008, 03:34 AM

And there are Muslims with their own spin on the Reptilians:

http://www.shiachat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=92059

The language of the mob was only the language of public opinion cleansed of hypocrisy and restraint - Hannah Arendt.
     Reply #24 - December 27, 2008, 03:43 AM

You don't need code tags for that. Just post the link like any other. Wink

Reply #25 - December 27, 2008, 03:52 AM

I couldn't be bothered reading the whole Shia Chat thread as it is mostly tedious nonsense written by deluded teenagers going through a fundamentalist Islam "faze".

It seems to me that a Muslim has written a book contesting the perfection of the Koran and the best they can do is accuse him of being Jewish. Is that the knock down argument?

For these Muslim fundies is someone being of Jewish birth or background proof positive that anything they say is untrue?
     Reply #26 - December 27, 2008, 03:57 AM

Next question? grin12

Reply #27 - December 27, 2008, 07:01 AM

Translation of the Alternative Christmas

Wednesday 24 December 2008

"In the Name of God the Compassionate, the Merciful.
    Upon the anniversary of the birth of Jesus, Son of Mary, the Word of God, the Messenger of mercy, I would like to congratulate the followers of Abrahamic faiths, especially the followers of Jesus Christ, and the people of Britain.

The Almighty created the universe for human beings and human beings for Himself.

He created every human being with the ability to reach the heights of perfection. He called on man to make every effort to live a good life in this world and to work to achieve his everlasting life.

On this difficult and challenging journey of man from dust to the divine, He did not leave humanity to its own devices. He chose from those He created the most excellent as His Prophets to guide humanity.

All Prophets called for the worship of God, for love and brotherhood, for the establishment of justice and for love in human society. Jesus, the Son of Mary, is the standard-bearer of justice, of love for our fellow human beings, of the fight against tyranny, discrimination and injustice.

All the problems that have bedevilled humanity throughout the ages came about because humanity followed an evil path and disregarded the message of the Prophets.

Now as human society faces a myriad of problems and a succession of complex crises, the root causes can be found in humanity's rejection of that message, in particular the indifference of some governments and powers towards the teachings of the divine Prophets, especially those of Jesus Christ.

The crises in society, the family, morality, politics, security and the economy which have made life hard for humanity and continue to put great pressure on all nations have come about because the Prophets have been forgotten, the Almighty has been forgotten and some leaders are estranged from God.

If Christ were on earth today, undoubtedly He would stand with the people in opposition to bullying, ill-tempered and expansionist powers.
    If Christ were on earth today, undoubtedly He would hoist the banner of justice and love for humanity to oppose warmongers, occupiers, terrorists and bullies the world over.

If Christ were on earth today, undoubtedly He would fight against the tyrannical policies of prevailing global economic and political systems, as He did in His lifetime. The solution to today's problems is a return to the call of the divine Prophets. The solution to these crises is to follow the Prophets - they were sent by the Almighty for the good of humanity.
    Today, the general will of nations is calling for fundamental change. This is now taking place. Demands for change, demands for transformation, demands for a return to human values are fast becoming the foremost demands of the nations of the world. The response to these demands must be real and true. The prerequisite to this change is a change in goals, intentions and directions. If tyrannical goals are repackaged in an attractive and deceptive package and imposed on nations again, the people, awakened, will stand up against them.

Fortunately, today, as crises and despair multiply, a wave of hope is gathering momentum. Hope for a brighter future and hope for the establishment of justice, hope for real peace, hope for finding virtuous and pious rulers who love the people and want to serve them – and this is what the Almighty has promised.

We believe, Jesus Christ will return, together with one of the children of the revered Messenger of Islam and will lead the world to love, brotherhood and justice. The responsibility of all followers of Christ and Abrahamic faiths is to prepare the way for the fulfilment of this divine promise and the arrival of that joyful, shining and wonderful age. I hope that the collective will of nations will unite in the not too distant future and with the grace of the Almighty Lord, that shining age will come to rule the earth.

Once again, I congratulate one and all on the anniversary of the birth of Jesus Christ. I pray for the New Year to be a year of happiness, prosperity, peace and brotherhood for humanity. I wish you every success and happiness."

Mr dinner jackets full speech people.

Eeven the atheists were moved by it.  Roll Eyes

Reply #28 - December 27, 2008, 07:55 AM

Quote from: Ahmadenijad's Alternative Christmas Message
    We believe, Jesus Christ will return, together with one of the children of the revered Messenger of Islam and will lead the world to love, brotherhood and justice. The responsibility of all followers of Christ and Abrahamic faiths is to prepare the way for the fulfilment of this divine promise and the arrival of that joyful, shining and wonderful age. I hope that the collective will of nations will unite in the not too distant future and with the grace of the Almighty Lord, that shining age will come to rule the earth.

I missed that bit when I was listening. So the Jews and the Christians must prepare the way for the Mahdi. How is this done? By fulfilling the hadith and going to war against the Muslims, and the golden age will be when Jesus will rule by the Qur'an and accept no religion but Islam.  finmad

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »