Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Creating a Hygienic Space for Islamism

(Read 3491 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Creating a Hygienic Space for Islamism
     OP - December 18, 2008, 10:48 AM

http://www.butterfliesandwheels.com/articleprint.php?num=323 

Creating a Hygienic Space for Islamism
    by Gina Khan

The construction of the concept of 'Islamophobia' began in the aftermath of the Rushdie affair. The impetus for it was to stigmatise an entire range of individuals and opinions, from those who took issue with religious precepts of Islam, to those who questioned certain values of the religion, certain cultural practices recurrent inside the sub-culture of some British Muslim groups, all the way through to those who critically analysed Islamist politics.

For the first time, 'racism' was not considered to be the active discrimination against individuals because of their ethnic background. Now, 'racism' was asserted to be anything that remotely offended the sensibilities of religious Muslims, including those from within the Muslim community who dissented from a certain line on any range of issues.  [...]

The concept of 'Islamophobia' not only privileges the communal, and privileges a single religion, it also privileges the 'grievances' and 'plight' of Muslims over other minority groups in Britain, and it can be seen as an attempt to bully wider British society into submission to certain religious and theo-political norms. It is the strongest tool available for keeping Muslims in a state of denial about the internal issues that cause self-oppression and social failure and dysfunction relative to other groups in the UK, including an inability to take full advantage of the openness and opportunity in British society that proportionally other ethnic minorities who also face discrimination are able to utilize. It also numbs the mind to the signs and signals that the most insidious forms of extremism make when they arise.

Much of the trouble we find ourselves in today can be traced back to this self-perpetuating, self-justifying need to create a hygienic space for Islamism, for whatever any loosely connecting individual or group of activists deems mist [fit?] to be placed inside this hygienic, uncritical space. The continuing efforts of Islamic activists and extremists, including the most violent extremists, have to be seen in this context.

• Re: Creating a Hygienic Space for Islamism
     Reply #1 - December 18, 2008, 12:36 PM

She does make the unnecessary distinction between "desert Islam" and "her Islam", but her type would appear to be sufficiently secular to be acceptable. 
    Nice to see sane voices.
     Reply #2 - December 30, 2008, 07:31 PM

She does make the unnecessary distinction between "desert Islam" and "her Islam", but her type would appear to be sufficiently secular to be acceptable. 
    Nice to see sane voices.

There cannot be a "her islam".

Islamic law would consider her a murtad for even contemplating such a concept.

A secular islam is not islam at all.
     Reply #3 - December 30, 2008, 07:36 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum gallego.

Can you please explain the bolded part and what exactly do you think constitutes "Islam" ?

Regards,
    AJ

I was not blessed with the ability to have blind faith. I cant beleive something just because someone says its true.
     Reply #4 - December 30, 2008, 11:10 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum gallego.

Can you please explain the bolded part and what exactly do you think constitutes "Islam" ?

Regards,
    AJ

Hello Anti-jihadist, and thank you for the welcome.

I will try my best to answer your question.

(1) Real islam are the unabrogated verses of the Koran (medina verses), which abrogate the Mecca verses and some of the early Medina verses.  For example, 9:5 abrogates 2:256 about "no compulsion".

(2) Whenever debating a muslim, personal insults should be avoided, and their own books should be used against them.  Familiarity with their Tafsirs is very useful.

(3) Islam is the teachings and example of their prophet (as they are in the hadith).  Verse 4:60 of the Koran tells muslims to obey their prophet as they would their god, and the only way to do that is for them to follow the hadith.  Therefore, in my opinion, the hadith have the same authority as the Koran. Therefore there is no such thing as a "koran only" muslim.

I could go on.  Islam is ugly.  It teaches muslims to kill non muslims.  Islam dehmanizes the kufar (calls us pigs and monkeys), thereby giving muslims less compunction in killing and/or insulting us. 

If you want me to elaborate on the foregoing, or address any other aspect your your question, please feel free to ask.

A pointed question regarding a specific event or issue should never be interpreted as being an ad hominem personal attack.  Such a pointed question includes requiring the moderators to live up to the same standard and burden of proof that they ask of participants in this forum, which standard they have asked of me already on my first day here.  I am monitoring another thread to see if they will do so.
     Reply #5 - January 11, 2009, 11:41 PM

I don't see why we should consider that to be "real Islam"
    To be honest, I don't think that non-believers should consider any type of religion to be "real"
    Surely to the non-believer Islam is the label that covers various types of beliefs connected to Mohammed and the Koran?
    Why should we pick out any of these beliefs to be the "real Islam"?
     Reply #6 - January 12, 2009, 01:07 PM

Very nice article, apart from the good old "real Islam" argument. She reminds me the dilemma of Turkish secularists. I hope she'll eventually leave Islam.

Islam: where idiots meet terrorists.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »