Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Today at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Hijabi assaulted in Churchill Square, Brighton

(Read 13419 times)
  • 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Hijabi assaulted in Churchill Square, Brighton
     OP - December 17, 2008, 08:25 AM

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/3974624.Muslim_woman_attacked_with_her_own_hijab/

Woman [crazy attacker bitch] spared prison after attack in Churchill Square, Brighton
    9:45am Saturday 13th December 2008

A Muslim woman was left degraded and ashamed after her hijab was ripped from her head and used to strangle her.

Barka Ali-Abdulla told a court she was left afraid for her life and unable to go out after she was attacked by Tanya Squires.

Ms Abdulla, a Somali refugee, said she was left so devastated she is thinking of leaving Britain after living here for more than 20 years.

Squires, 21, who is three months pregnant, hurled a stone at her head in an unprovoked attack near Churchill Square, Brighton, in August.

When Ms Abdulla, the mother of a young daughter, turned round Squires spat in her face and launched a vicious assault on her, Brighton Magistrates Court was told yesterday.

Amanda Burrows, prosecuting, said: ?Squires punched her hard in the eye and then pulled off her hijab, a traditional headscarf, which she used to try to strangle Ms Abdulla.?

Ms Abdull was not in court for the hearing but in a victim impact statement she said: ?My hijab was pulled off my head which is an insult to my religion.

?I am now afraid to open my front door and will not go out because I am scared of another attack.

?I suffer recurrent nightmares of what happened that day and do not sleep or eat properly.

?I now believe it might be better if I went back home despite the fact that I have lived for 20 years in England because I am now afraid for my life.

?I feel violated, degraded and ashamed because of what happened because Muslim women should never show their hair in public.?

Squires, of Selbourne Road, Hove, who had no previous convictions, admitted the common assault on Ms Abdulla on August 9.

Mike Tyler, defending, said Squires had alcohol problems at the time and is due to have her baby in June.

He said: ?She has had alcohol dependency problems since she was 14 but since this happened she no longer drinks.

?This was a moment of madness which was completely out of character for her.?

Squires was given a five month prison sentence suspended for a year and was ordered to pay ?200 compensation to her victim.

She was also ordered to wear an electronic tag and not go out between 8pm and 6am until February 5.

Judge Parsons said: ?This was probably the worst case of common assault I have ever heard. It was an entirely unprovoked attack.

?You threw a stone at her and spat in her face, you spat in her eye. It was a disgusting act which left her feeling violated and degraded.

?If you come before me again because you have breached the conditions of your sentence you will go to prison.?

I chose to get circumcised at 17, don't tell me I never believed.
  • Re: Hijabi assaulted in Churchill Square, Brighton
     Reply #1 - December 17, 2008, 08:48 AM

Is this a hate crime?

Good to see the law, the police and British legal system worked for this young woman and the criminal has been brought to justice!
     Reply #2 - December 17, 2008, 09:22 AM

Of course it's a hate crime.

Financial compensation seems a bit weak to me. 200? That's it? Should be 500 at least.

Reply #3 - December 17, 2008, 10:05 AM

The criminal woman has got which happens in a limited number of cases. Not knowing the rules for these crimes cannot comment on fine.  If the criminal commits another crime she will go to prison.

The motive is not given in the story, is the hijabi the reason?  This is not clear.

It could be that if the woman was an Hindu or Christian dark person she would have been hit as well.

As for moving back to Somalia, the woman is for sure at a lower risk in the UK, then back home. 
     Reply #4 - December 17, 2008, 10:52 AM

Sounds like a hate crime of some sort, whether it was directed at Muslims in particular or just foreigners in general. The other thing that struck me is why the hell is this twit getting pissed when she's pregnant?

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #5 - December 17, 2008, 11:23 AM

Sounds like a hate crime of some sort, whether it was directed at Muslims in particular or just foreigners in general. The other thing that struck me is why the hell is this twit getting pissed when she's pregnant?

Sounds like a typical chavette to me....Vicky Pollard wannabe?
     Reply #6 - December 17, 2008, 01:53 PM

Of course it's a hate crime.

Why do you say that? I saw nothing in what I read that the victim was singled out for some reason. It could have been an entirely random attack/ a relatively random attack (e.g. the victim looked the perpetrator in the eye) etc. or an attack for some other reason.
     Reply #7 - December 17, 2008, 03:02 PM

Looks like the Crown Prosecution Service went for the most serious offence they could prove and got a triple whammy on the result - a suspended sentence, a fine and a tag means that she has to live with the restrictive consequences of a crimininal record until it's spent (7 years, I think). The 'fine' was also compensation for the victim.
    If the punch to the eye had caused an injury, the offence would have been at the lower end of aggravated assault, I seem to think, and would have attracted a much stiffer sentence. But it looks as though there was no injury.
    To prove a hate crime usually requires the perp. to have said something provable or done something specifically in pursuit of a demonstration of a particular proscribed hatred, and which could be proved in court.

It doesn't say anything about witnesses testimony which is often necessary to prove that a reported offence actually occured. It's not enough for a victim to claim that such and such an offence was carried out for a reason that they themselves assume. It has to be demonstrated as objectively and independently as possible somehow.

Offences of this nature are pounced upon by the law these days and I'm sure, having read the article, that the outcome is commensurate with the gravity of the offence.

Religion is ignorance giftwrapped in lyricism.
     Reply #8 - December 17, 2008, 03:05 PM

Well said. What do you do SL?

Reply #9 - December 17, 2008, 03:17 PM

Well said. What do you do SL?

Well, now you mention it, Awais, until today I was an ESOL teacher, but today I finally decided to take retirement and have just  tendered my resignation. It's been a scary step but now I've made up my mind I feel really happy.

Reply #10 - December 17, 2008, 03:20 PM

Congrats, good luck, have fun, and all that.  Afro

Reply #11 - December 17, 2008, 03:27 PM

Thanks, I've got one or two little projects to keep me as busy as I want to be. Nice to have the choice for a change.

Reply #12 - December 17, 2008, 04:28 PM

Good luck to you.

I was not blessed with the ability to have blind faith. I cant beleive something just because someone says its true.
     Reply #13 - December 17, 2008, 07:36 PM

Thanks AJ, I've had my share of luck, I'm pleased to say.
     I hope the breaks keep coming your way too. I can tell you enjoy life from the lively, fun-filled posts you keep us all amused with. With fun like this, who needs work to fill the time.

Reply #14 - December 30, 2008, 07:35 PM

If it were the hijabi women who assaulted an infidel woman, no doubt the court system would prosecute the infidel woman for dressing inappropriately.

Such is the extent of political correctness in the UK today.
     Reply #15 - December 30, 2008, 07:41 PM

If it were the hijabi women who assaulted an infidel woman, no doubt the court system would prosecute the infidel woman for dressing inappropriately.

Err when has such a thing happened?

Please don't exaggerate, PC might be bad, but not that bad.

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #16 - December 30, 2008, 07:50 PM

Not even I would make such a silly comment.

oh Muslim, oh servant of Allah, this is a Jew behind me, come and kill him!"
     Reply #17 - December 30, 2008, 08:57 PM

Not even I would make such a silly comment.

I am not so sure it is as silly as it sounds.

Was there not a case of a particularly violent sermon in a UK mosque that was secretly recorded and then made public?  My information is that the first reaction of the British police was to prosecute those who made public the recording, until there was a public outcry about it.  Am I wrong?

The other thing I remember was a demonstration that occurred in London that called for the "beheading" of those who insult islam.  From what I could see, the police just stood there and watched.  It is not enough to say that such a person may have been prosecuted later.  The very fact that the demonstration was allowed to take place was (in my book) a hate crime against kufars. 

I wonder if the police would have stood by and watched a demonstration with a placard that read "Behead those who insult kufars".  What do you think?

Then I think of that obnoxious Chaudery (not sure about the spelling), who in a recorded interview said that killing non muslims was OK because according to him they did not accept his allah guy's law, and therefore were not "innocent".  Whatever happened to him?  Was he charged with a "hate crime"?  I would be very interested to know.  If he was, it would restore in me at least a little faith that the UK is not descending into Dhimitude.

I am not sure of the spelling of his name, but here is the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1uQDv_ZtME

What would be the reaction of the press if some kufar said that about muslims?  Need I say?

My remark was being sarcastic to be sure.  But it is a sarcasm that at least has some basis in reality as to the atmosphere of "political correctness" that pervades too many western countries now.

Many westerners are reluctant to utter their distate for anything islamic for fear of being charged with a "hate crime".  The Canadian islamic Congress took McLean's Magazine to a human rights tribunal (at taxpayers' expense...McLean's had to defend themselves out of their own pocket) because McLean's wrote some stuff that they didn't like.  At such a tribunal, even truth is not a defense. 

On the other hand, muslims are allowed to preach a holy book that equates us kufars to "pigs and monkeys", that beating women is OK, and that killing non muslims is OK.   

So my statement is not as ridiculous as you suggest.  There is just too much going on to show that muslims are being treated as a "protected species".
     Reply #18 - December 30, 2008, 09:13 PM

Muslims also get prosecuted for hate crimes and hate speech.  The picture you paint is totally one sided, and as for the demo you're talking about - I would imagine the police let them get on with it because they saw it as a handy opportunity to identify extremists.

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #19 - December 30, 2008, 09:48 PM

It seemed to me at the time that the police gave the demonstrators enough rope to hang themselves with. They filmed the whole thing with a view to identifying and prosecuting as many of the indivs. involved as possible.

Reply #20 - December 30, 2008, 09:58 PM

Muslims also get prosecuted for hate crimes and hate speech.

Please provide examples with references.

The picture you paint is totally one sided, and as for the demo you're talking about - I would imagine the police let them get on with it because they saw it as a handy opportunity to identify extremists.

You only "imagine" that was the purpose of the police???

The moderators have been quick to put a burden of proof on me elsewhere in this forum.

Is it too much to ask the moderators to live up to the same standard?

For example:

Do muslims get prosecuted for a hate crime when they preach the Koran and/or hadith? 

(1) After all, the Koran tells muslims to take apostates, and "seize them and kill them wherever they find them" (vers 4:89).

(2) The prophet of islam said, "if anyone changes his islamic religion, kill him" (Bukhari hadith, volume 9:57)

(3) How about verses like 7:166??

[7.166] Therefore when they revoltingly persisted in what they had been forbidden, We said to them: Be (as) apes, despised and hated.

or 8:55??

[8.55] Surely the vilest of animals in Allah's sight are those who disbelieve, then they would not believe.

I consider the preaching of that kind of stuff to be hate of non muslims.  What about you?

(4) Was Socranie stripped of his Knighthood for preaching violence against Salman Rushdie?  I believe he said something like "killing Rushdie would be too good for him", or words to that effect.  This coming from a guy who either had at the time, or received later, a knighthood from the Queen herself.

I am addressing some serious issues here that pertain to political correctness that I raised with my original bit of sarcasm.  It is not one-sided to ask pointed questions.  It is more one-sided to accuse the questioner of being one-sided and then provide evasive answers.

Reply #21 - December 30, 2008, 10:02 PM

It seemed to me at the time that the police gave the demonstrators enough rope to hang themselves with. They filmed the whole thing with a view to identifying and prosecuting as many of the indivs. involved as possible.

It only "seems" to you???

Is it too much to ask for proof?

Who among the demonstrators were arrested?  What were they charged with?  Were they convicted or deported? 

I would be very interested to know.

Reply #22 - December 30, 2008, 10:10 PM

Were they convicted or deported?

Deported? I hope you get deported. Go back where you came from, Germania or some shit. I don't care if you were born where you live, your ancestors are from Germania (or we could ultimately send you back to Africa) and that's where we'll send you. Tongue That's the attitude you give towards others. Deported.

Reply #23 - December 30, 2008, 10:12 PM

I don't know which country you're in, although looking at your English , it's not the UK, and I don't know which newspapers you read but, at the time, all the broadsheet reports on the progress of the matter demonstrated that the police were following a very systematic method of tracking each individual to the point where they were successfully prosecuted and the lunatic fringe organisations they belonged to were banned.
    Remember the young idiot from Leeds in the fake suicide-bomber vest who had been filmed at the demo and was jailed?

Reply #24 - December 30, 2008, 10:17 PM

I don't know which country you're in, although looking at your English , it's not the UK, and I don't know which newspapers you read but, at the time, all the broadsheet reports on the progress of the matter demonstrated that the police were following a very systematic method of tracking each individual to the point where they were successfully prosecuted and the lunatic fringe organisations they belonged to were banned.
    Remember the young idiot from Leeds in the fake suicide-bomber vest who had been filmed at the demo and was jailed?

You are right.  I am not from the UK.  I did not learn my English there.  I hope you are not suggesting that there is something seriously wrong with my English.

I would like to believe you when you tell me that guys like Chaudery and those demonstrators were successfully prosecuted.

All I am asking for are names and references.  Do you have them.  If you do not have them, do you know somebody who has this information?
     Reply #25 - December 30, 2008, 10:21 PM

gallego's canadian, eh?

Reply #26 - December 30, 2008, 10:25 PM

gallego's canadian, eh?

(Clicky for piccy!)

Yes!!

Do you have a problem with Canadians who like to visit Galicia?  I have always loved Spain.  I have even learned to speak functional Spanish.
     Reply #27 - December 30, 2008, 10:27 PM

Deported? I hope you get deported. Go back where you came from, Germania or some shit. I don't care if you were born where you live, your ancestors are from Germania (or we could ultimately send you back to Africa) and that's where we'll send you. Tongue That's the attitude you give towards others. Deported.

OK.....I get it.  For you, personal insults (with profanity sprinkled in) are the order of the day.

Somebody who asks pointed questions has an "attitude".

Your attitude is what I would expect from somebody who is not able to address the questions posed.
     Reply #28 - December 30, 2008, 11:17 PM

Awais please tone it down

Life is a sexually transmitted disease which is invariably fatal.
     Reply #29 - December 30, 2008, 11:26 PM

Gallego, on this board profanity is completely fucking acceptable. Our policy from the word go has been that there are more important issues in the world than the use of expletives, as made clear on our front page. If you wish to use them yourself feel free to do so.

However we do not encourage pointless insults, although we do have an unstated policy of not sweating the small stuff and expecting others to be similarly tolerant. Some of the issues discussed here can result in a bit of heat. You get that.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
  • 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »