Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
April 16, 2024, 07:25 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: tech questions

(Read 7656 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • tech questions
     OP - December 11, 2008, 11:55 AM

I thought we could have a thread for smaller tech questions? (sorry, if there already is one...)

here?s mine: why do I get ?, when I press the apostrophe?? That?s why my posts appear funny... all looks okay, until I submit the post, then the apostrophe changes to question mark.
  • Re: tech questions
     Reply #1 - December 11, 2008, 11:58 AM

Yeah I've noticed that happening and I'm not sure of the cause. I suppose I should track it down.

ETA: As you can see it doesn't affect everyone's posts.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #2 - December 11, 2008, 12:00 PM

Yeah I've noticed that happening and I'm not sure of the cause. I suppose I should track it down.

ETA: As you can see it doesn't affect everyone's posts.

I noticed! "Someone" out there hates me! Os - you are the likely suspect, being admin and all... ??   cool2
     Reply #3 - December 11, 2008, 12:01 PM

Must be god. I've heard he can take a dislike to some people and get all smitey on it.

Reply #4 - December 11, 2008, 12:03 PM

Must be god. I've heard he can take a dislike to some people and get all smitey on it.

yes, but He does it on a GRAND scale! No niggardly fumbling with apostrophes! parrot
     Reply #5 - December 11, 2008, 12:12 PM

This is just the beginning though. Just you wait................

Reply #6 - May 30, 2009, 12:14 PM

Nice one Os - how do we update them (I could not see the edit tool)?

Also any thoughts on the below (in reference to Hassan's videos http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=5483.0) ?

Mods - is that ok by you? Also do we have the disk space to save them there in their entirety, rather than simply a youtube link, in case some mullah working their decides to delete them..

Do you think we can save Hassans videos in the same area? Any thought mods?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #7 - May 30, 2009, 12:16 PM

Don't worry Islame, we have discussed it in the admin section, it's an idea we are definately planning to make a reality.  Afro

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #8 - May 30, 2009, 12:22 PM

They are fairly objective videos, and we dont have any other member contributions other than solid text - why not?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #9 - May 30, 2009, 12:24 PM

They are fairly objective videos, and we dont have any other member contributions other than solid text - why not?

Not all of us are comfortable infront of a camera, if there are others who want to do some videos then they are more than welcome to.

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #10 - May 30, 2009, 12:27 PM

I mean why dont we stick Hassans videos in the Ex-Muslim critiques of Islam section (http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php) , alongside our critiques? 

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #11 - May 30, 2009, 11:04 PM

Well we did have his vids linked but then he took offense to some idiots and took all his vids offline.  grin12
    If he's going to leave them online I'm perfectly happy to see them linked off our front page. Same for vids made by several other people. I do think however that hosting them directly off our server doesn't make sense as long as YouTube is continuing to host them. Vids run up server loads quite a bit. I do like the idea of storing copies of them in case they are needed due to pressure on YouTube, but TBH they could be stored on YouTube's server in another account and made public if necessary. whistling2

Of course there can also be backups offline in case all YouTube accounts are messed with or our server crashes.

Reply #12 - May 30, 2009, 11:21 PM

Hass - what do you think?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #13 - May 31, 2009, 12:32 AM

Oh and the other thing I want to do when we get a gallery of vids and pics hooked up is to enable our site for Cooliris. I mentioned it in this thread: http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=5542.msg140610#msg140610

Setting it up isn't that hard and what it means is that anyone who has Cooliris installed on their browser can hover over a pic or vid and click the Cooliris icon that appears. They then get the whole lot as a scrollable gallery, and can switch from that view to a normal screen as it suits them. It's a great option and is compatible with Firefox, Flock, Internet Explorer and the Mac version of Safari.

Their main site is here: CoolIris - Discover More. It's worth checking it out. Wink 

Reply #14 - June 19, 2009, 10:27 PM

I have just upgraded to Internet Explorer 8.0, and its playing with my view of this foru.  Sometimes words get bigger, and overlap the next sentence.  The compatiability button doesnt fix it either - just saying this forum has been designed for use with older browsers. 

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #15 - June 19, 2009, 10:33 PM

I get that sometimes.  It always goes away on its own after a few minutes though.

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #16 - June 19, 2009, 10:36 PM

I get that sometimes.  It always goes away on its own after a few minutes though.

Are you on IE8?  Also strange things are happening - when I type the words are invisible then they suddenly appear - its happening now.

P.S  Whats with the carnival look?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #17 - June 19, 2009, 10:41 PM

No, I'm on FireFox 2.  I get the typing thing sometimes as well. 

I found the carnival look while looking for suggestions for MSingh's new avatar, (I googled "pink fairy" lol), and she goes with the Outrageous theme, so I nabbed her.

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #18 - June 20, 2009, 08:26 AM

Weird. I've never noticed any of those things happening. I use Firefox 3.5 mainly but used to run Firefox 3 and Opera.

Fireofx 2 is old and known to be a bit buggy. IE8 is a Microsoft browser. Go figure. 

Reply #19 - June 20, 2009, 01:16 PM

IE8 is a Microsoft browser. Go figure. 

No, it's not a real browser. IE8 is actually a browser-downloader. You use it in order to download Firefox, Opera or what have you.  grin12

German ex-Muslim forumMy YouTubeList of Ex-Muslims
    Wikis: en de fr ar tr
    CEMB-Chat
    I'm on an indefinite break...
     Reply #20 - June 20, 2009, 02:08 PM

Its still has three times more usage than the most pop browser at the mo.

As of Q4, 2008, IE has 68.15% usage, Mozilla 21.34%, Safari 7.93% and Chrome 1.04%, according to Net Applications.

http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2009/01/internet-explorer-fades-firefo.html

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #21 - June 20, 2009, 10:18 PM

Get some more up to date figures. Wink  http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

Anyway yes I know IE has considerable market share. This is because it can force market share, not because it is particularly good in any way.

The software we use (SMF 1.1.x) was released when IE7 was the latest version. There have been considerable changes (some of them even for the better) in IE8 so glitches are possible. Note that if Microsoft had released their browsers with W3 standards support like every other browser has had for years then there would be no problem, so it's easy to see who is at fault here. Wink

As I mentioned though I did used to run Firefox 2 and had no problems with it, and since Cheetah is seeing the same problem you are seeing it may not be browser-specific and it may be impossible to reproduce for testing. I'll look into it over the next day or two.

Reply #22 - June 20, 2009, 10:24 PM

Ok, I am now horribly infested with IE8 and doing some test posts. So far everything appears to be normal. Text is at the correct size and the words are appearing as I type them.

Reply #23 - June 20, 2009, 10:26 PM

Ok, I am now horribly infested with IE8 and doing some test posts. So far everything appears to be normal. Text is at the correct size and the words are appearing as I type them.

Have you got a brojen compatibility view on the right hand side of the address bar?  When you type quickly  in quick reply box, do the characters disappear momentarily?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #24 - June 20, 2009, 10:28 PM

Testing the quick reply. Seems completely normal to me.

Reply #25 - June 20, 2009, 10:31 PM

Firefox 2 seems normal as well, at least at the moment. 

ETA: Cheetah, do yourself a favour and try Firefox 3.5 RC1. It completely murders 2 for speed. It even leaves 3 in the dust, plus it supports shit that IE is still only dreaming about (as does Opera 10). I've been usng it for a while now and it seems free of bugs.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-rc.html

Reply #26 - June 20, 2009, 11:07 PM

I can't update.  I already tried, my OS won't support FF3.

Reply #27 - June 20, 2009, 11:17 PM

Which OS?

Reply #28 - June 24, 2009, 03:39 AM

I think its Windows 1973. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AyVh1_vWYQ&feature=PlayList&p=58NKeitRqbE

Reply #29 - June 24, 2009, 03:56 AM

Tongue Must be 98. 2000 and up will run Firefox 3.

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »