Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Today at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: When I was 8 and 2 questions for ex Muslims.

(Read 11532 times)
  • 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • When I was 8 and 2 questions for ex Muslims.
     OP - December 08, 2008, 04:25 PM

Shortly after I was born I was baptised; a new Roman Catholic, a much better Christian than those lukewarm Protestants.
    At the age of 8 I was to be "confirmed" with the Holy Communion" wafer; this was going to be the real thing, not another Father Christmas story.
    The wafer, through the miracle of transubstantiation, is imbued with the essence of the body of Christ, I was going to be united with my best ever hero: Jesus.

I still remember the day, my mother lovingly dried my hair with an electric thingy; she also fluffed my chest, neck and back with a fancy Talcum Powder.
    AND... I was going to wear my very first pair of long trousers! no more naked legs like girls.
    Communion with Jesus; I tried to keep myself pure for the occasion...I even smiled benevolently at my sister and didn't tell any lies for a good few hours.

Off to church for the Ceremony, some of my mates were already there: Didon (orange head but good at loud belches), Gianni ( furthest wee-wee jet) Alexis (stupid git, always stunk of boiled cabbage).
    I stopped looking at them to avoid sniggering. Serious and solemn event.

The ?Moment? came, I was glowing with piousness and good will, all my senses were pricked to attention, I was hoping not to explode at being One with Jesus, He would look after us both.
    It was my turn, the hand of the priest with the wafer came towards me, I could see the man's fingernails and smell his soap or aftershave.

And then...
    NOTHING happened,no magic whatsoever, the loudest ?nothing? in my life. I was stunned into confusion and I wanted to cry away the disappointment but I began hating instead. I had been lied to, like you do to kids.

That was the beginning of all my doubts, all my questioning and subsequent rejection of the hypocrisy which is religion.

Sorry, that was longer than I intended.

My questions to you, if you will share, are:

1)  Why are you ex Muslims, what happened to you, what began your doubts?

2)  Also, I don't call myself ex  Christian, maybe an atheist or an agnostic, why do you call yourself ex Muslim?

Ubi dubium ibi libertas.
  • Re: When I was 8 and 2 questions for ex Muslims.
     Reply #1 - December 09, 2008, 04:37 AM

Very interesting story mate. I can only speak for myself, so I'll answer your question based from my life and my journey.

- My reasons for becoming an Ex-Muslim was not due to just one reasons, it as an accumulation of various different reasons. My doubt mostly came after reading the Quran, and the Hadiths; though I started to doubt Islam when I was about seven. I read them when I was about 16, and after I read the Quran, I immediately  knew it could not be the words of a god.  Mostly because the words about our origins, and different scientific claims are completely wrong and based on superstitions.

2)  Also, I don't call myself ex  Christian, maybe an atheist or an agnostic, why do you call yourself ex Muslim?

- I'm an Atheist and an Ex-Muslim. I personally call my self an Ex-Muslim mostly because I was a Muslim before and now I am not.

Call me TAP TAP! for I am THE ASS PATTER!
     Reply #2 - December 09, 2008, 07:37 AM

The wafer, through the miracle of transubstantiation, is imbued with the essence of the body of Christ...

That was good - thanks  Afro

I have written my story here in the blogs section. I have also written a more detailed blog - just click my signature.

I don't really want to call myself an ex-Muslim, but it is a useful label in trying to break the taboo of leaving Islam. Once Muslims get over people choosing what they want to believe the label of Ex-Muslim will become meaningless. At the moment it is still meaningful.

Reply #3 - December 09, 2008, 10:08 AM

Hi Tommy

You mentioned you found some scientific untruths in the Quran.  I have scoured it and found only a few.  Just wondering which ones you foudn in the Quran?

IsLame

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #4 - December 09, 2008, 10:31 AM

The ex-muslims on here are not exclusive. When I first became an ex-christian, that's what I called myself for a while, and then like ex-smokers become non-smokers, I became a non-believer.

I suppose the whole point about the ex-muslim appelation is to make a statement, as Has  pointed out, about the possibility of 'coming out' of Islam and to emphasise the fact that many people are doing so and that more will do so if they see others doing what they would like to do.
    So it's a political statement and a rallying point given that one of the stated aims of the founders is to oppose the politicisation of Islam.

Religion is ignorance giftwrapped in lyricism.
     Reply #5 - December 09, 2008, 01:01 PM

Very interesting story mate. I can only speak for myself, so I'll answer your question based from my life and my journey.

- My reasons for becoming an Ex-Muslim was not due to just one reasons, it as an accumulation of various different reasons. My doubt mostly came after reading the Quran, and the Hadiths; though I started to doubt Islam when I was about seven. I read them when I was about 16, and after I read the Quran, I immediately  knew it could not be the words of a god.  Mostly because the words about our origins, and different scientific claims are completely wrong and based on superstitions.

Thanks Tommy,

Would you say that the reason you gave for reading Islam (Quran and Hadiths) is a typical/common reason amongst ex Muslims.

I would be also curious to read your response to Islame's question.

Best wishes.     

Ubi dubium ibi libertas.
     Reply #6 - December 09, 2008, 01:17 PM

I don't really want to call myself an ex-Muslim, but it is a useful label in trying to break the taboo of leaving Islam. Once Muslims get over people choosing what they want to believe the label of Ex-Muslim will become meaningless. At the moment it is still meaningful.

Hello Hassan,
    Thanks for the link to your Blog, I will read it with pleasure, you seem to have a neat way with words.

Although both you and sojournerlumus have explained, I still find the ex Muslim label quite strange, as though you are unable to let go of part of your previous persona.

Do you feel more comfortable carrying both identities?

In your view, when people stop being Muslims do most of them choose another religion or become atheists/agnostic?

Ubi dubium ibi libertas.
     Reply #7 - December 09, 2008, 05:47 PM

I still find the ex Muslim label quite strange, as though you are unable to let go of part of your previous persona.

I'm not sure what you mean here? Could you elaborate a liitle more.

In your view, when people stop being Muslims do most of them choose another religion or become atheists/agnostic?

I have come across a few who have become Christian (only online though - not in the real world) for example DivineMercy and Ruby on this forum and Mace from Ummah.com. But the vast majority seem to be atheist/agnostic and have a very low opinion of religion - particularly the Abrahamic religions.

IMHO anyone who has had the sense to realise the fallicy of Islam is unlikely to fall for another religion. (Unless they have some previous background in it or it provides some need i.e. support, company, community etc...)

Reply #8 - December 09, 2008, 06:02 PM

I have noticed most of the Ex- (fill in the blank) being atheist, agnostics.
    If Religion X goes wrong for someone does not make Religion Y correct automatically.
    I enjoyed reading Divine Mercy's posts, it seemed she accepted Christianity for spiritual reasons. I hate videos like why someone should accept religion y because X is violent or misguiding.
    Don't know other ppl mentioned by Hassan.
     Reply #9 - December 09, 2008, 07:03 PM

I have noticed most of the Ex- (fill in the blank) being atheist, agnostics.
    If Religion X goes wrong for someone does not make Religion Y correct automatically.
    I enjoyed reading Divine Mercy's posts, it seemed she accepted Christianity for spiritual reasons. I hate videos like why someone should accept religion y because X is violent or misguiding.
    Don't know other ppl mentioned by Hassan.

Divine Mercy is cool  Afro Mace is really a great guy too - very wise and calm. Ruby I don't know that well - but from the exchanges we had, she seems a very nice person.

Of those three DM and Mace both came from Christian backgrounds - Ruby did not afaik.

I doubt many ex-Muslims (who never had a Christian background) would be attracted to Christianity after leaving Islam. Unless - as I say - it offers them something else - i.e the security and community they no-longer have.
     Reply #10 - December 09, 2008, 07:08 PM

I wouldn't "convert" back to Christianity, although I've considered going to Christmas services with my family. I stopped believing in Christianity before I converted to Islam. I thought it'd be funny to convert to Judaism, but it wouldn't be sincere. Cheesy

I chose to get circumcised at 17, don't tell me I never believed.
     Reply #11 - December 09, 2008, 07:46 PM

I wouldn't "convert" back to Christianity, although I've considered going to Christmas services with my family. I stopped believing in Christianity before I converted to Islam. I thought it'd be funny to convert to Judaism, but it wouldn't be sincere. Cheesy

Let us change your name to Abraham then, you will fit in all three parrot
     Reply #12 - December 09, 2008, 07:52 PM

If you're at a loose end, just join the RAOB (Royal Anti-diluvian Order of Buffalos) - the beer's better.

Religion is ignorance giftwrapped in lyricism.
     Reply #13 - December 10, 2008, 12:51 PM

I still find the ex Muslim label quite strange, as though you are unable to let go of part of your previous persona.

I'm not sure what you mean here? Could you elaborate a little more.

Now you have got me, I am not really sure how to explain without sounding pompous.

Please understand that the society I interact with is completely laic.  Religion is considered a very personal affair and it is almost bad form to introduce it in a conversation.
    My question was dictated by curiosity, I don't want to teach people how to live their lives. I am just curious as to why they do this or that.

If I wore the label of ex Xtian, I would feel obliged to confirm/fulfil the label by frequenting other ex Xtians and paying attention to their opinions. I might even have to agree to views that were not my own just for the sake of solidarity.
    In so doing I may be missing new adventures, meeting less variety..
    In short I cannot fathom why Religion might have such an important role in people's imagination.

Perhaps this is just me, I have a strong leaning towards mental Feng Shui.

Ubi dubium ibi libertas.
     Reply #14 - December 10, 2008, 10:54 PM

<gasp! Smiley> It is not very laic of you to share that with us or introduce it in the conversation.

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
     Reply #15 - December 11, 2008, 07:14 AM

<gasp! Smiley> It is not very laic of you to share that with us or introduce it in the conversation.

Why so. Baal?

Ubi dubium ibi libertas.
     Reply #16 - December 17, 2008, 06:57 AM

Why so. Baal?

I find it highly distasteful that a French (or European) would go all laic on his own ideologies and religions (that ultimately got him where he is today), yet will bend over and perhaps suck the cocks of foreign prophets and gurus. Prophets and gurus from crappy places, that produced crappy cultures with crappy institutions.

It goes well along the meme of self-hate and analysis-paralysis that is gripping most western nations.

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
     Reply #17 - December 17, 2008, 07:26 AM

Why so. Baal?

I find it highly distasteful that a French (or European) would go all laic on his own ideologies and religions (that ultimately got him where he is today), yet will bend over and perhaps suck the cocks of foreign prophets and gurus. Prophets and gurus from crappy places, that produced crappy cultures with crappy institutions.

It goes well along the meme of self-hate and analysis-paralysis that is gripping most western nations.

suck my cock baal.

feng shui is just arranging furniture and shit so rooms are 'balanced'. no prophets, heaven or hell, just an attempt at pleasing order. Tongue

oriental cultures are better than you Tongue

I chose to get circumcised at 17, don't tell me I never believed.
     Reply #18 - December 17, 2008, 10:59 AM

A lot of feng shui is just common sense. As an example, you are supposed to site your house about two thirds of the way between valley floor and hilltop.

Valleys are usually cold and damp in winter and baking hot in summer (assuming a temperate climate like China) whereas hilltops are lacking in shelter and notoriously windy (which can drive the inhabitants nuts). Put your house on the slope about two thirds up and you get good views and optimum climate. Simple.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #19 - December 20, 2008, 01:44 PM

Why so. Baal?

Wow, Baal!

So much venom is the sure signature of a little man (the title of *Checca* is usally assigned to people regurgitating so much disapproval)

By mental Feng Shui I meant that I do not make a point to remember all the people I meet in my life...only the meaningful ones.The same way, when driving on a motorway,  one does not remember all the cars that go by.

I am not responsible for the ideologies, religions or traditions into which I was born; neither am I guilty for the ills my ancestors might have caused.
    European culture is rich, varied and liberal. I am glad I live in Europe.

When you talk of crap and other vulgarities you are only projecting your own personality.

Do stop eating vipers for breakfast, bacon butties are also nice. 

Ubi dubium ibi libertas.
     Reply #20 - December 20, 2008, 01:53 PM

parrot grin12

Reply #21 - December 21, 2008, 11:16 AM

Well said Blas!

What a ludicrous argument Baal.

Utter hypocrisy! By the same argument, I am an Arab, of Muslim background, and also a professional living in the UK, is it distasteful that I should go laic on my ideologies and religions that - according to your theory - got me where I am today? Am I sucking the cocks of Christianity and Bush and Brown?

I, Blas, all of us, are free to chose what to think, who to follow, whether or not to follow, in fact we owe it to ourselves to think and examine our backgrounds and the ideologies that we grew up in and that shaped us. And if Blas wants to learn more about other cultures apart from his own, good for him, and if he he is honest and unbiased he may well find something in them worthy of merit, while disliking other aspects. To dismiss a whole region and culture as 'crappy' says more about your own mentality and your own bias than the region itself.

Life is a sexually transmitted disease which is invariably fatal.
     Reply #22 - December 21, 2008, 04:40 PM

Why so. Baal?

Wow, Baal!

So much venom is the sure signature of a little man (the title of *Checca* is usally assigned to people regurgitating so much disapproval)

By mental Feng Shui I meant that I do not make a point to remember all the people I meet in my life...only the meaningful ones.The same way, when driving on a motorway,  one does not remember all the cars that go by.

But Blas, you are still discussing mantras with me. That is not Laic. Laic does not mean not discussing the religions of your ancestors. Laic means not discussing religions. period.

The religion of your ancestry might be good or bad, mine might be good or bad. But *if you* are laic, then it is bad form for you to bring your religion forward. It is a very simple proposition. Either you are laic, or you are not laic.

Reply #23 - December 21, 2008, 04:45 PM

Well said Blas!

What a ludicrous argument Baal.

Utter hypocrisy! By the same argument, I am an Arab, of Muslim background, and also a professional living in the UK, is it distasteful that I should go laic on my ideologies and religions that - according to your theory - got me where I am today? Am I sucking the cocks of Christianity and Bush and Brown?

There is no hypocrisy if you are not laic.

I am not laic Iris. And I do not believe you are laic either. Only if Blas is Laic, then what I said applies to him. Replacing an original religion with Feng Shui and now introducing Feng Shui in the conversation is not a laic thing to do. My observation of most Laic people is that they only turned against their ancestral religions. However quite often, they will find it quite cool to discuss (after embracing) foreign and exotic religions. As if the term laic only applies to an ancestral religion.

EDIT: Iris, read what you are replying to again. I am trying really hard, to make sense of what you wrote as it does not answer to any of the points made on this thread. Once you are done rewriting your post, I would like you to retract the terms "Utter Hypocrisy" and "Ludicrous Argument" if they no longer  apply.

Reply #24 - December 21, 2008, 04:50 PM

Why so. Baal?

suck my cock baal.

feng shui is just arranging furniture and shit so rooms are 'balanced'. no prophets, heaven or hell, just an attempt at pleasing order. Tongue

oriental cultures are better than you Tongue

Hey Awais, I guess that makes you one of those Checas Blas is talking about.

Now you are wrong to assume Feng Shui is just about arranging furniture. You are also wrong to assume Blas only refers to Feng Shui as a system to design his furniture. To Blas Feng Shui seems to be along the lines of remembering people driving cars on the highways.

Here is what wikipedia has to say about Feng Shui:
    Feng shui (traditional Chinese: 風水; simplified Chinese: 风水; pinyin: fēng shuǐ; pronounced /ˈfəŋˌʃueɪ/ fehng-shway in English) is an ancient Chinese system of aesthetics believed to utilize the Laws of both heaven (astronomy) and earth (geography) to help one improve life by receiving positive Qi. [1] The original designation for the discipline is Kan Yu (traditional Chinese: 堪輿; simplified Chinese: 堪舆; pinyin: kāny?; literally: Tao of heaven and earth)[2].

The words 'feng shui' literally translate as "wind-water"in English. This is a cultural shorthand taken from the following passage of the Zhangshu (Book of Burial) by Guo Pu of the Jin Dynasty:[3]

Qi rides the wind and scatters, but is retained when encountering water. [3]

Many modern enthusiasts claim that feng shui is the practice of arranging objects (such as furniture) to help people achieve their goals. More traditionally, feng shui is important in choosing a place to live and finding a burial site, along with agricultural planning.

So Awais, according to Blas' definition you are a Checca, and according to wikipedia's definition, you are a modern enthusiast. Keep up the good work.

Reply #25 - December 21, 2008, 09:06 PM

Have a bacon butty. You need one. parrot

Reply #26 - December 21, 2008, 09:41 PM

Have a bacon butty. You need one. parrot

I will have bacon, and you make sure not to claim to be laic and then introduce some religion other then the one you were born with. As if you just discovered something new and cool. Either you are laic or you are not laic.

I have enough issues with laic French embracing islam & cults just because it is exotic relative to the crap they were born with.

Mind you I like Eastern doctrines. I even like Feng Shui and I believe it makes a lot of sense. Just do not claim to be laic, and then come talk to me about religion. We clear now?

Reply #27 - December 21, 2008, 09:48 PM

Baal, you are the one who introduced the obsession with being laic. Blas had never mentioned it. His comment about feng shui was merely a semi-humorous aside which did not merit the amount of bullshit it has apparently attracted. Suggest chill pill. Large. Kthnx.

Reply #28 - December 21, 2008, 11:36 PM

Baal, you are the one who introduced the obsession with being laic. Blas had never mentioned it. His comment about feng shui was merely a semi-humorous aside which did not merit the amount of bullshit it has apparently attracted. Suggest chill pill. Large. Kthnx.

If he is not laic then he has nothing to worry about since my vitriol is only directed at a laic who deny their own religion yet prance around advertising and showering praises at everyone's else's religion.

Also if he is not laic then he can go around talking all he wants about religion like iris and me do.

But so far, he did not deny he is not laic. Yet he is introducing some new religion. And his introduction of Feng Shui was not an aside, He even got the cars and the highways and the drivers down as he was preaching Feng Shui.

edit: religion like iris

Reply #29 - December 21, 2008, 11:39 PM

If he is not laic then he has nothing to worry about since my vitriol is only directed at the laic who deny their own religion yet prance around advertising and showering praises at everyone's else's religion.

Its human nature, Baal.  The grass always looks greener from a distance, and religions always look more attractive when you haven't spent your life having to live under their rules.

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
  • 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »